• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Doobius

just got my first SM shiny. been SOS hunting for hidden abilities. i decided to go for the "cool ones" first....so far SOSed HA jangmo-o, sandalit, fomantis, and dewpider. decided to start from the top of the list and do pikapek. was maybe about 15 into the chain and came across a red headed one. wasnt sure at first if it was a gender color variation...hadnt yet seen the shiny animation, but then the big star appeared. thought, ok, i can restart the chain and HA quest in order to get my first Sun shiny. didnt need to, she was HA too. noice. onto yungoos. we'll see how many shinies i uncover will obtaining all SM HA pokes. cheers.

Charoshi

Charmander is best
Got my first Pokemon Sun shiny!

[img139]https://s12.postimg.org/8oeghfl3h/IMG_0834.jpg[/img139]

I was trying to find a Bonsly to seek out a Happiny for Pokedex purposes and the first Bonsly I found on the route was this shiny beauty!

After an aborted longtime Salandit hunt yesterday had to be ended early because I had things to do, this was a nice reward. Hopefully the next shiny I can find is a new Pokemon! :)

Edit: For the community hunt does it have to be a new pokemon? If not then CH complete.

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Got my first Pokemon Sun shiny!

[img139]https://s12.postimg.org/8oeghfl3h/IMG_0834.jpg[/img139]

I was trying to find a Bonsly to seek out a Happiny for Pokedex purposes and the first Bonsly I found on the route was this shiny beauty!

After an aborted longtime Salandit hunt yesterday had to be ended early because I had things to do, this was a nice reward. Hopefully the next shiny I can find is a new Pokemon! :)

For the community hunt does it have to be a new pokemon? If not than CH complete.

Salandit isn't worth it; it has a 1/8 chance of being female and evolving into furbai-I mean Salazzle, so your chances of getting it are incrediously low. Its current tied with Vespiquen for the second rarest shiny, first being of course Manaphy considering you literally have one chance with it

ohjeezitskim

Hello, again! It's been a long while since I posted here last. I came to look a couple of times but wasn't logged in. (Forgot my password!)
Lots has changed for me since the last time I was here! I moved out for the first time, got a job, quit that job, got a new job... became adult-ier... ugh!
Also put my Pikachu 3DS in retirement! I bought a New 3DS back in September, the Galaxy one! Pikachu saw over 2,500 hours of gaming. (1,600 of which in X lol)

I found some shinies a long the way, although I definitely don't remember what and when lol. I know one was a Karrablast while I was EV training, I stopped and went to walk out of the grass and it showed up!
I have only 50 hours in SM right now but I did shiny hunt yesterday with the SOS method, I broke it, by accident, around 67. I started again today and got to 83 and a little blue pupper appeared! First of gen 7!
As it was discovered already over a chain of 40.. She has 4 perfect IVs, and her speed IV is really good too, a shame about the attack though. I can work this the nature as well!

My next hunts are going to be Alola Vulpix, Salandit, and Pikipek. And I want to breed for a shiny Rowlett and probably a Litten also. Just waiting to get a good Ditto through the SOS over 40 method!

JE1OY9S

TkrULbn

Salandit isn't worth it; it has a 1/8 chance of being female and evolving into furbai-I mean Salazzle, so your chances of getting it are incrediously low. Its current tied with Vespiquen for the second rarest shiny, first being of course Manaphy considering you literally have one chance with it

Even with a cute charmer?

Charoshi

Charmander is best

While I'm inclined to agree that it might not be worth it because of the low chance of it being a female, I just happened to like the shiny sprite for whatever reason. Salandit was one of my favourite new pokemon so I decided that would me my first focus, but I might shift to Rockruff because of the reasons you pointed out. I have no issue with a male since I don't usually use my shinies on non badge quests, but it would for sure be a let down. It's going to be on the back burner for now for sure while I move on to other endeavours.

Laurelai

While I'm inclined to agree that it might not be worth it because of the low chance of it being a female, I just happened to like the shiny sprite for whatever reason. Salandit was one of my favourite new pokemon so I decided that would me my first focus, but I might shift to Rockruff because of the reasons you pointed out. I have no issue with a male since I don't usually use my shinies on non badge quests, but it would for sure be a let down. It's going to be on the back burner for now for sure while I move on to other endeavours.

Oh yes I very much like Salazzle and I may very well hunt that shiny myself. If I do, its not going to be MM or SOS-chain. I'm going to run around with my male Cute Charm in front. It helps a great deal! I was giving away female salandits on Wonder Trade the other night, I had a bucket full! :D

So SQUEEEEE!! I got my first Gen VII shiny! I had several targets I attempted, but this one finally bore fruit. SOS-chain of about 120-ish.

First sighting!!!
[spoil][img139]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/kit14525/IMG_20161125_230757_zpsux8nknsg.png[/img139][/spoil]

Side by side :D
[spoil][img139]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/kit14525/IMG_20161125_230918_zps6fpxgzlb.png[/img139][/spoil]

Stats
[spoil][img139]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/kit14525/IMG_20161125_231231_zpsacm8tcwx.png[/img139][/spoil]

Treats!!
[spoil][img139]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/kit14525/IMG_20161125_231445_zpsjbt7xu7b.png[/img139][/spoil]

Oh, and the name is a shortened Latin name for a red spider that lives on the volcanic plain in Australia

I'm really looking forward to when we can Pokebank our other pokes over because I *really* want to get started on some Gen VII competition grade pokemon, but for now, this'll do pig, this'll do :)

darkpaladin2015

Shiny Hunter
I haven't posted here in a really long time, but I've done so today to share my sheer frustration. I have spent the best part of three days trying to chain a shiny using SOS battle. I have had chains go up to:80, 300, 180 and 260. What have I had after all that time? Zilch...zero...nothing. I can't help but wonder if shinies people have obtained so far by doing this haven't just been pure chance. My friend has also had 3 chains, 2 over 100, and another at 250 and he's not got a shiny either. If SOS battles really did increase shiny encounters, then I would have thought that, between my friend and me, we would have seen at least 1 shiny by now! This has actually really demoralised me because I've spent hours, and hours and hours with nothing to show for it. I know shinies aren't meant to be easy to obtain, but when you think that SOS system is essentially a replacement of chain fishing...I never had to fish chains that high to get a shiny!! Sorry for ranting, I'm just so cross and frustrated

Dibut

Just checking in to add to the pile...SOS battled for a golden magikarp yesterday which I traded for a legendary, found a purple murkrow while I was walking around earlier. This is going to be a good generation :)

Shadow_Lugia_XD001

Guess who's back
Less than 24 hours after starting the game on Wednesday, I found a shiny Salandit just after completing the fire trial!! Totally random encounter, I wasn't even shiny hunting for once and it also happened to be female (with a neutral nature) so naturaly I couldn't believe my luck!
As of yesterday, she evolved into a gorgeous Salazzle! I need to give her a good name, she's now a staple member of my team.
[img200]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyGrP5_XcAAdzPL.jpg:small[/img200]

Bowlbasaur

I have a story about the most idiotic mistake I've ever made in a Pokemon game. Be prepared: cringe.

I had just completed OR, and my Pokedex stood @720 (Meloetta missing). I had never run into any shinies in the wild, so I took up breeding. I successfully did a Solosis, Bulbasaur, Piplup and Gastly, and my buddy requests a shiny Charmander so I get to it. After hitting 1000 eggs, I began to lose hope. At this point, I had decided that I wanted to start my Living Dex--all I have to do is hatch this shiny Charmander and then I can get on with it.

Fast forward to egg #1254. A shiny Charmander!! I am euphoric, text my friend to share the news. Male, four perfect IVs, just beautiful. I put him in the last box and start organizing the other boxes for my Living Dex.

Several hours later, I go to look at the shiny Charmander, and he is gone. I just missed it somewhere, I thought. It's not gone. I looked through all the boxes again, but did not find him. The ONLY thing I can think is that I must have accidentally released him when I was rearranging. All I could do was stare at my screen, furious with myself. I couldn't just revert to my last save because I had done some Wonder Trading--it could have happened at any point in the evening.

So, I eventually get it together and start the whole process over. I was too embarrassed to tell my friend what I did. By some INSANE stroke of luck, egg #122 was, once again, a shiny. Female, five perfect IVS. I put that little dude in my battle box safely. I cannot believe I was so stupid, and then so lucky.

EDIT: This was just a couple weeks ago, I'm still not sure if I'm going to spill the beans my friend or not XD

Gligari

Shiny Hunter
I haven't posted here in a really long time, but I've done so today to share my sheer frustration. I have spent the best part of three days trying to chain a shiny using SOS battle. I have had chains go up to:80, 300, 180 and 260. What have I had after all that time? Zilch...zero...nothing. I can't help but wonder if shinies people have obtained so far by doing this haven't just been pure chance. My friend has also had 3 chains, 2 over 100, and another at 250 and he's not got a shiny either. If SOS battles really did increase shiny encounters, then I would have thought that, between my friend and me, we would have seen at least 1 shiny by now! This has actually really demoralised me because I've spent hours, and hours and hours with nothing to show for it. I know shinies aren't meant to be easy to obtain, but when you think that SOS system is essentially a replacement of chain fishing...I never had to fish chains that high to get a shiny!! Sorry for ranting, I'm just so cross and frustrated ��

Chaining does nothing to increase the odds. Its just a 1/512 chance for the pokemon coming to help after island 1 story completion. At any time. Looks like you could just be unlucky. :/

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Hello, again! It's been a long while since I posted here last. I came to look a couple of times but wasn't logged in. (Forgot my password!)
Lots has changed for me since the last time I was here! I moved out for the first time, got a job, quit that job, got a new job... became adult-ier... ugh!
Also put my Pikachu 3DS in retirement! I bought a New 3DS back in September, the Galaxy one! Pikachu saw over 2,500 hours of gaming. (1,600 of which in X lol)

I found some shinies a long the way, although I definitely don't remember what and when lol. I know one was a Karrablast while I was EV training, I stopped and went to walk out of the grass and it showed up!
I have only 50 hours in SM right now but I did shiny hunt yesterday with the SOS method, I broke it, by accident, around 67. I started again today and got to 83 and a little blue pupper appeared! First of gen 7!
As it was discovered already over a chain of 40.. She has 4 perfect IVs, and her speed IV is really good too, a shame about the attack though. I can work this the nature as well!

My next hunts are going to be Alola Vulpix, Salandit, and Pikipek. And I want to breed for a shiny Rowlett and probably a Litten also. Just waiting to get a good Ditto through the SOS over 40 method!

JE1OY9S

TkrULbn

Even with a cute charmer?

I didn't know Cute Charm could up chances of certain genders. Please elaborate

Charoshi

Charmander is best
2nd shiny in 2 days, and it's my first for a new Pokemon!!

After the successful random Bonsly I found yesterday, I celebrated by hastily completing the Alola dex and got myself the Shiny Charm. To celebrate, I figured I'd try my luck at one of my targets.

[img139]https://s13.postimg.org/p5nj402vb/IMG_0837.jpg[/img139]

It was an 85 Pokemon chain, which wasn't bad all things considered. Thank goodness two of my false swipers had keen eye otherwise that might have been far more painful than it was.

Nature was meh at Careful, but not nearly as bad as my Modest Bonsly yesterday. On the other hand it has perfect ivs in 4 stats. Fittingly, the stats that weren't perfect were attack and speed. Oh well I just collect them for the most part, and beggars can't be choosers.

If my Bonsly yesterday doesn't count, this one definitely completes the CH!

Last edited:

Echo Nacyl

Been a long time since I logged in. Oops.

My shiny luck is following the regular pattern so far: odd numbered generations do not like me. Nothing yet. Not trying too terribly hard yet, though.
My SO, on the other hand, has gotten three already (Trumbeak during playthrough, Popplio from 19th egg, and Masquerain for forgetting to use repel).

I intend to eventually hunt Rockruff (x2), Salandit (it's worth it to me), Dewpider, Grubbin, Fomantis, Sandygast, and the starters. I'll wait for Bank though, so I can have my foreign 6V Ditto.
Mostly using my Sun version to prepare the complete Alolan dex, as I intend my Moon to be my main game and will likely do all my breeding on it. Super jelly of these shiny Rockruffs. I cannot wait to have my own shiny Lycanroc (midnight), as he's one Pokemon I've been ultra-hyped for.

My own most recent shiny was a few days before S/M, I hatched a Shiny Hoothoot in roughly 70 eggs. Modest, Tinted Lens. Don't remember the IV's off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I didn't know Cute Charm could up chances of certain genders. Please elaborate

Cute Charm increases the odds of finding the opposite gender. Lead your team with a male pokemon that has the Cute Charm ability, you will find more females. Lead with a female Cute Charmer, you'll find more males. I used a male Cute Charm lead to get my shiny female combee in Y, and to find a female HA heatmor in a durant horde so I could breed it shiny. It comes in very, very handy when you're trying to get females from pokemon with a very high ratio of males to females. Or male kirlia/female snorunt for their specific gender evolutions.

I'm up to 1,400 SRs for regice already. SRing a grounded target is soooooooooo much faster than soaring encounters.

@ Charoshi - lol that typo

I haven't found any Shinies in my Sun game yet, but congrats to everyone that has so far!! :) I was praying for a Shiny Vulpix while chaining for a Snow Warning one but didn't find one, lol. I did get my Snow Warning one though, and she was Modest with IVs in the exact stats she needed so I was really happy! I'm sad I didn't get to use her much because you get Vulpix near the end of the game though :(

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like eggs hatch faster in Gen 7...?

Twilit Dragoon

*omnious thunderstorm*
Hey everyone, long time no see. Congrats to the many shinies since my last post, I have no clue where I left off so blanket congrats. I have gotten a few shinies since I've been gone, but I'll just post my most recent.

I've gotten bitten by the Sun and Moon bug, I stayed awake until 3 am on the first day playing it. My very first shiny hunt was going to be SRing for a shiny Litten. I didn't think that it would take me very long to get, but before I knew it, I was over 2000 SRs with nothing to show for it. Last night I couldn't sleep very well, so I was quad SRing for shiny Litten. I was just about to finish up the last SR:

[img139]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k101/sagezinogre/IMG_0826_zpsn253iioo.jpg[/img139]

When THIS showed up. After 2204 SRs, shiny Litten appeared. I freaked out when it showed up, I had to bite the sleeve of my shirt so I didn't wake up the family XD. I was hoping to get a fast one but this hunt gave me a run for my money.

I named him Driger, can you guess which show its from ;).
Shiny Litten
Trainer ID
Hasty

[img139]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k101/sagezinogre/IMG_0830_zps4rwbv81k.jpg[/img139]
[img139]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k101/sagezinogre/IMG_0836_zpsohmhomi5.jpg[/img139]

I'm now SRing for a shiny Rowlett in my other games. I haven't gotten very far yet, only 6 soft resets, but it'll be my next shiny hunt. I'll probably go after a second shiny Litten when Rowlett shines, but we'll see. For now though, I'll go back to playing the game.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Cute Charm increases the odds of finding the opposite gender. Lead your team with a male pokemon that has the Cute Charm ability, you will find more females. Lead with a female Cute Charmer, you'll find more males. I used a male Cute Charm lead to get my shiny female combee in Y, and to find a female HA heatmor in a durant horde so I could breed it shiny. It comes in very, very handy when you're trying to get females from pokemon with a very high ratio of males to females. Or male kirlia/female snorunt for their specific gender evolutions.

I'm up to 1,400 SRs for regice already. SRing a grounded target is soooooooooo much faster than soaring encounters.

@ Charoshi - lol that typo

So its kind of like Synchronize, only with abilities? Good to know. I guess that still makes Manaphy the undisputed hardest shiny to get

BTW guys, of the unobtainable shinies of Gen 7, which do you think is the one you most want available? For me, its Buzzwole due to its vibrant, watermelon-esque coloration

Last edited: