• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Echo Nacyl

So, I decided to hatch some Dhelmise real fast for a friend, and the 8th egg popped out a shiny. Outstanding, Adamant, 31s in HP, Attack, Def, and Speed. First MM of 7th gen for me.

Keovix

Congratulations to everybody on your shinies!

It's been a while since I last posted, I've been really enjoying Pokemon Sun, great game, finished the story without any shiny random encounter, filled the pokedex as much as I could and then rushed through Pokemon Moon to get the exclusives and trade them over to Sun, there was only one Pokemon missing and it was Type:Null, without the shiny charm I decided that it was gonna be my first shiny in Gen 7 and I was very lucky 'cos after 318 SR's it shone, I almost SR the shiny, luckily I was focusing on the tail which has a notorious variation.

Type:Nul has Jolly nature, EV trained it, 252 Attack, 252 Speed and 4 Def, also raised it's happiness and went against the E4 and it evolved into Silvally.

Now I'm gonna claim the shiny charm and start hunting Pikipek.

Good luck!

Erron Black

The Outlaw
What a day today has been!!! I've gotten 3 Gen 7 shinies via S.O.S. method just today!

Fomantis: 96 encounters, Adamant nature w/Leaf Guard

Dewpider: 27 encounters, Rash nature w/Water Absorb

Pikipek: 6 encounters, Impish nature w/Keen Eye

My next hunts are likely going to be:
Morelull, Sandygast, Rockruff, Sandshrew, or Geodude. I'm not sure which I'll do! But I do want to MM for a Moon Ball Mimikyu for sure, but that 5% encounter rate is going to be horrendous...

Manakete-Girl

'Cause Dragon Types
Got the shiny Charm yesterday so I decided to do a quick hunt earlier and got a Shiny Female Oricolo for which the timid Sync failed so got Docile nature... has 31 in speed but that's about it.

Now I am SR'ing for a Type:Null and trying to decide what Nature I want.

AmethystLeslie

I just found my first shiny of Gen 7, a Mimikyu! I was searching for a Klefki, and a Mimikyu came, and 1 SOS later spawned a shiny.

Female, Docile nature, Pretty Good/Pretty Good/Decent/Pretty Good/Best/Pretty Good

ghostlyslug

I RE a shiny Golbat for my first shiny of the generation (walked into a cave and first encounter was a green golbat, what a shock).

Trying for a shiny Litwick and Alolan Vulpix with MM but I haven't had any luck so far

Shiny Lord

Just hatched a shiny Mimikyu on egg 57.

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Hey everyone! Long time no see...if anyone who recognises me still posts here.

As of late, Pokemon Sun has been my main focus. I got it exactly 7 days ago, and of course at some point I knew shiny hunting was going to be a priority for me in Gen 7. So, what did I hunt for first? You'll see. After about 240-250 SOS calls, I found the target I had in mind: Shiny Comfey! Pics in the spoiler:

In Battle -
CyivLt9XUAMhST6.jpg

Pokedex Registering -
CyivLt7XUAUZ5yF.jpg

But of course, I'm not just here to show off one shiny. In fact, I found two more! One of them was the Alolan Rattata, which took under 60 or so SOS calls--but I have no pics in battle sadly. However, the other shiny I got was another Alolan Pokémon. Shiny Dewpider shone last night after 111 SOS calls!

In Battle -
Cyx3HWYXUAA6UFf.jpg

Summary -
Cyx4dkLW8AAOW8c.jpg

I hope all of you have a fruitful Gen 7, and it seems a lot of you have made a good start so far. Good luck!

Edit: Looks like my Rattata and Dewpider count for the monthly hunt! Comfey was found on the 30th so it's just shy of it. Community hunt complete!

Last edited:

Ascended Dialga

I was hunting for Pheromosa in in Verdant Cavern today when I came across a SHINY ZUBAT!!!

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Congrats to all the recent shinies, especially the new Sun/Moon shinies!

As with every new set of games that come out, I've put my hunting on hold while I play through Gen 7. I finished Sun in 4 days and Moon in 9; now I'm just working on completing my Pokedex in Moon before I restart Sun to do a trial quest. Things took an unexpected turn tonight though... I was running around Vast Poni Canyon while looking for a Murkrow for the Dex, when suddenly a random shiny Carbink popped up! It's my first shiny of the new generation and I couldn't be more happy - I've been going through hunting withdrawal so it was nice to see some sparkles in my games again ^_^ It's also my first random shiny in a year and a half. Her name is Tanzanite (yeah, I know Carbink is genderless but I'm calling it a girl : P), with a Rash nature and the Clear Body ability. I'd actually planned to have Vast Poni Canyon as one of my trial quest hunts, so I guess this is a nice little appetizer for that project? I'm really looking forward to it, although the 3-minute SRs for Rowlet are going to be a pain in the *ss >_<

Good luck to all of you on your hunts, and I'll hopefully be hunting regularly again sometime soon~ Also, Community Hunt Complete!

Edit: Forgot to mention, I also got Pokerus earlier today... on the first or second wild encounter of the day O_O Had some pretty insane luck today, really hope it sticks around when I get back to my other games!

Last edited:

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I went back to chain fishing on both Y and Alpha Sapphire yesterday and I had tons of time for that cuz I was home sick. I spent almost three straight hours trying to hook a shiny at several areas with my rod, but I got no bites. I focused on my shiny Giratina hunt as well today and I'm up to almost 500 soft reset attempts on that so far. :]

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Hey everyone! Long time no see...if anyone who recognises me still posts here.

As of late, Pokemon Sun has been my main focus. I got it exactly 7 days ago, and of course at some point I knew shiny hunting was going to be a priority for me in Gen 7. So, what did I hunt for first? You'll see. After about 240-250 SOS calls, I found the target I had in mind: Shiny Comfey! Pics in the spoiler:

In Battle -
CyivLt9XUAMhST6.jpg

Pokedex Registering -
CyivLt7XUAUZ5yF.jpg

But of course, I'm not just here to show off one shiny. In fact, I found two more! One of them was the Alolan Rattata, which took under 60 or so SOS calls--but I have no pics in battle sadly. However, the other shiny I got was another Alolan Pokémon. Shiny Dewpider shone last night after 111 SOS calls!

In Battle -
Cyx3HWYXUAA6UFf.jpg

Summary -
Cyx4dkLW8AAOW8c.jpg

I hope all of you have a fruitful Gen 7, and it seems a lot of you have made a good start so far. Good luck!

Edit: Looks like my Rattata and Dewpider count for the monthly hunt! Comfey was found on the 30th so it's just shy of it. Community hunt complete!

The flowers don't change shininess, but the creature does. Since Gen VI and beyond shinies were fully intended in their coloration, I wonder if there was a plan for that and what

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Just hatched a Shiny Mimikyu in 20 Eggs. Wasn't even looking for one either! Just attempting to get a Jolly nature Mimikyu for comp. breeding. It's unfortunately a Sassy nature, so it is no use in competitive, but lucky me I want to use one on my 2nd Sun play through! Nicknamed her Pikaboo.

EDIT: Found a Shiny Yungoos while EV training said Mimikyu! Took 44 SOS calls until it shined. Nicknamed it Mungo.

Last edited:

Marvs

Shinneeee!
So a very good weekend for me, on Friday I decided to take a break from my Mimikyu hunt (1,300 eggs) and try Rowlet just for a change, 150 eggs later I hatched a shiny, female to boot too!

Went back to Mimikyu and finally after another 600 or so eggs (super long hunt!) it shined, I didn't even feel that happy, just incredibly relieved! Then on Sunday I decided to try some SoS chaining, after around 60 or so encounters a little Pichu popped up!

And then this morning, totally randomly (full odds!) a Meowth decided to show itself, sadly it's one of my least favourite of the new sprites so it'll just be one for the collection!

Samayouru

Rabid Dusclops Fan
Congrats to all new shinies!

I've been slowing down with shiny hunting for a bit - real life and my dedication to certain projects need me more than my hunts do right now. But I've managed to get 400 SRs done for Bulbasaur on my remaining FR/LG games so progress is happening. I'm still kinda sad that Game Freak put Shiny Locks on all the legendaries in S/M though. Hopefully if they decide to make the 4th gen remakes we'll be able to get Xerneas and Yveltal legitimately like we could with Zekrom and Reshiram in ORAS.

Marvs

Shinneeee!
Congrats to all new shinies!

I've been slowing down with shiny hunting for a bit - real life and my dedication to certain projects need me more than my hunts do right now. But I've managed to get 400 SRs done for Bulbasaur on my remaining FR/LG games so progress is happening. I'm still kinda sad that Game Freak put Shiny Locks on all the legendaries in S/M though. Hopefully if they decide to make the 4th gen remakes we'll be able to get Xerneas and Yveltal legitimately like we could with Zekrom and Reshiram in ORAS.

Yeh it really bums me out too, I also can't see any reasoning for it! Hunting for shiny legendaries was my favourite thing to do on HG/SS and with all the ultra beats etc this time around it would have kept me busy for ages!

Echo Nacyl

Grats on those new shinies. Especially those of you who've gotten starters or Mimikyu.

Last night I was looking for a Cleffa to chain for IVs, and instead found my first RE shiny of S/M. It was a Fearow. Hasty, terrible IVs, but glad I finally found a RE shiny. My only actual disappointment is that it wasn't a Minior; but at least it wasn't a Beldum or Skarmory, which I certainly don't need.

I do agree that this shiny lock is a shame. And it's getting a little out of hand. I understood locking Reshi/Zek in BWB2W2 due to the cinematic sequences, but at least it was only them and the mythical in Victini. Locking every damn thing that's legendary, including the ultra beasts--which seem debatable at best to me--is really saddening. At most, I could've understood locking Solgaleo, Lunala, and Tapu Koko. With Nihilego being clearly shown as one of many, and the fact that there're more than one each of Pheramosa and Buzzwole to capture, locking those seems excessive, and locking the ones that were never displayed during the story (other Tapus, other ultras) seems silly. Just my two cents. Alas, the best I/we can hope is either for events or a future game to give shiny-possible ones.

RedJirachi

Veteran member