• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Which Ultra Beast do you guys want available as a shiny? For me its UB-01 Symbiote/Nihilego

Echo Nacyl

Which Ultra Beast do you guys want available as a shiny? For me its UB-01 Symbiote/Nihilego
All of them, but especially Guzzlord.
I suspect Nihilego would be first though, with how much it's integrated into the story.

No luck on Rockruff yet. Haven't really been counting, but I've wondertraded 4 boxes of 31/31/31/x/31/31 ones (from two parents with the same spreads), if that gives any impression of how many I've hatched total.

Last edited:

Drakonekoshi

Congrats on your recent shinies and good luck to those currently hunting!

The other day, while trying to get a Shelgon for my pokedex, I joked that I would go on for so long that a shiny would show up, and what do you know, after 70+ SOS encounters, a shiny Bagon appeared! I was in utter surprise, I'm now able to have the entire line, since i have another shiny Bagon and shiny Shelgon in my Gen 6 games.

Photo on 12-6-16 at 6.40 PM #3.jpg

Anyways,I completed my pokedex earlier and now I have the shiny charm, so i'm back to my Jangmo-o hunt, 700-800+ eggs and I still have not found a shiny, which, isn't that long of a time yet, but I'm still doubting i'll get one anytime soon..

Charoshi

Charmander is best
I'd run into a bit of a hard luck spell recently since my shiny Rowlet. The most painful SOS hunt imaginable for a Bruxish, which lasted for a very long time and often had many turns in a row where they didn't even try to summon an ally and when they would it would never come. I followed that up with another long Dewpider hunt and a Stufful MM that just hasn't worked so far.

With that I turned my attention back to X to go back to an old standby. Litleo is basically my girlfriends favourite Pokemon. She thinks it's the cutest thing ever, so I went back to an on hold hunt for it. I don't know how many eggs I hatched before but I'm now over 810 with nothing to show for it.

Feeling a little discouraged from slowly approaching double the odds, I decided I'd test my luck and run into a patch of grass on route 7 hoping to find a horde. I found this instead.

[Img139]https://s23.postimg.org/qza9x3sdn/IMG_0861.jpg[/Img139]
[Img139]https://s23.postimg.org/75y64eezv/IMG_0866.jpg[/Img139]

Volbeat is a very nice shiny even if it's nothing to write home about usage wise. After a couple very long, discouraging hunts, it was nice to have a random shiny just pop out. Vindicates the process.

Now hopefully Litleo is a little more cooperative the rest of the way...

Last edited:

AmethystLeslie

After 644 eggs, I completed my Rufflet shiny hunt!

Adamant, Sheer Force, 0/31/31/31/31/31

This is the 3rd successful shiny hunt i've ever done.

Zero1999

Hi everyone.

It's been months since my last post and came back again here due to vacations so that means that I will hunt full-time now that I have free time.

Also i'm excited to play Pokemon Moon when I manage to buy ut but for the time being I want to hunt in the old 3rd gen games.

Now with all that said, I want to ask, should I resume my Onix hunt? or should I go for something else?

RedJirachi

Veteran member
All of them, but especially Guzzlord.

No luck on Rockruff yet. Haven't really been counting, but I've wondertraded 4 boxes of 31/31/31/x/31/31 ones (from two parents with the same spreads), if that gives any impression of how many I've hatched total.

Let me retitle-which Ultra Beast due to want available as a shiny first?

Charoshi

Charmander is best
Still working on the Litleo hunt, but I once again figured I'd test my luck in the grass on route 7. I really wish my temporary RE luck would work for this MM Litleo hunt.

[Img139]https://s28.postimg.org/6sncvs6lp/IMG_0870.jpg[/Img139]

Yellow Flabebe would probably be my least favourite one, but I'm certainly not going to look the gift horse in the mouth.

Congrats to all those with successful hunts and best of luck to those still hunting!

Azulart

Shiny Hunter
Took quite a while before she hatched, 200+ eggs
but it finally shinied and it looks awesome ! has max iv's in the right stats barring speed so its worth using already without the need to bottle cap it :) although I will in the future.

Its in a lure ball to enhance the blue and red colouring in its shiny, perfect fit imo!

[img139]https://s18.postimg.org/sgvowp0vd/WIN_20161211_09_37_55_Pro.jpg[/img139]

[img139]https://s24.postimg.org/bg7qkz839/WIN_20161211_09_36_30_Pro.jpg[/img139]

Last edited:

Manakete-Girl

'Cause Dragon Types
My Shiny hunting seems to prefer me SOS hunting so far.... I've gotten a Shiny Ditto with HP, Def, Sp.Def and Speed and ironically the best Ditto I caught so far from SOS, a HA Hakamo-o from trying to get a razor claw and a Timid Wishiwashi...

And with MMing Alolan Vulpix in a moon ball.... Nothing yet but a 6IV snowcloak female which wasn't shiny....

Edit: I took a break after reaching 120 eggs to breed a few pokemon for the battle tree and managed to hatch a non-mm'ed Shiny 3IV calm Cleffa, wrong ability but the Ability capsule and bottle caps exist!

Last edited:

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
Pokémon Moon is pretty much already my most successful shiny Pokémon obtained. Less than a week after I found my first shiny, I have found another in Finneon. And just like my last one, I wasn't looking for it either and no shiny charm. Best luck ever.

CryHavoc91

Prof. Gengarchomp
Pokémon Moon is pretty much already my most successful shiny Pokémon obtained. Less than a week after I found my first shiny, I have found another in Finneon. And just like my last one, I wasn't looking for it either and no shiny charm. Best luck ever.

Congrats! I've seen other people having good luck in gen7 as well. I've yet to find one, but I'm hopeful!

Apparently odds for SOS have been discovered, and the results are... well, I don't think they're accurate, but I can't argue with it.

Before a chain of 70 your chances are the same as full odds(The unbelievable part IMO), once you hit a chain of 70 your shiny chance rolls 3 additional times which without charm reduces your chances to around 1/1024, with shiny charm your chances reduce to 1/683.

I honestly don't think it adds up, but apparently it's official.

If that's legit, that's insane!! 1/683?!? That's just crazy!

Shiny charm obtained!

Last edited:

Dragon trainer

Arise from the Ashes
Walked into Digglet tunel on my moon game yesterday my second/first encounter (cant remember) was a male zubat! wasn't even expecting it and its my first RE shiny all others have either been from breeding (birthday shiny got a shiny onix and my first Cleffa from crystal odd egg) and mostly from chain fishing or horde hunting! He's been nicknamed Bruce

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Apparently odds for SOS have been discovered, and the results are... well, I don't think they're accurate, but I can't argue with it.

Before a chain of 70 your chances are the same as full odds(The unbelievable part IMO), once you hit a chain of 70 your shiny chance rolls 3 additional times which without charm reduces your chances to around 1/1024, with shiny charm your chances reduce to 1/683.

SmartD

I was playing Pokemon Sun a while ago, trying to find Spinarak to complete the Pokedex, when I suddenly ran into a Shiny Pikipek. I managed to get it to low health and caught it with a Poke Ball. This is the first Shiny Pokemon I caught in Sun and I haven't even got the Shiny Charm yet.

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member

Horde hunting honestly seems easier to get shinies than that. Because its a five in one encounter you initially have a 1/1365 chance, and with the shiny charm it drops to a 1/273 chance. Plus its entertaining to see something like five Lickitungs derping with the chance one is going to be a lemon drop.

What's your favorite shiny Oricorio? Mine's the Fire one

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I'm still on route 116 hunting more eevees, hoping to get one (or two) with their HA. I just found sparkles, but it wasn't an eevee.

It's a skitty. Female, hardy nature, scatters things often, and she got Wonder Skin, her HA. I'll see if I have a moon stone available to evolve her, though if I don't, then I dunno where I'm gonna get one. There's no Global Link for Gen VI now so I can't use the games to get the evolution stones anymore.

Edit: Caught my third shiny eevee after 789 seen. This one is a male, modest nature and likes to thrash about, with Adaptability. Still looking for a HA one

Last edited:

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Petilil was something I was definitely not willing to SOS for after I realized it has Sleep Powder, Absorb, and Leech Seed. So I went for Oricorio...

8 encounters is all it took and I got it.

I seriously think these 'odds' are false and it's more of like Dexnav odds, I just haven't had any go over odds if those odds are legit, and that's really weird considering my Shiny luck in XY/ORAS was absolute garbage lol.

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
HOLY CRACKERS

Ok so
I was chaining Oricorios in melemele meadow, looking for good IVed birds to breed and make a flawless fire dancer (I'm planning a solo Oricorio solo run in Moon) ... and a frigging shiny one pops up after about 21 SOS calls. Can't take pics bc my camera is broken so feel free not to believe me I guess, the point is I'm a little confused by the info I've found about SOS encounters being shiny. As Erron also said right here, they spposedly only go up after 70 encounters?

My cute black poppy flower "only" has flawless attack, sp attack and HP which proves she's an under-30 find, are ya trying to tell me she's a full-odds lil princess? Kinda makes it hard to find the motivation to go back trying to hatch a 6 perfect IV one now lol but I'll take it.

Edit: OK WHAT THE HELL ANOTHER ONE JUST SHOWED UP AT CALL 25. Full-odds my rear. There's no way. Am I even going to be able to find a male one with 4 perfect IVs before the game tosses another shiny my way? Honestly. I'm so tempted to just knock it out and keep trying for better IVs holy cow.

Last edited: