• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Laurelai

SOS chaining for a Salandit last night- had my Cute Charmer in front and was getting easily a majority of females- so my shiny pops this morning after about 500 SOS calls.... and he's a he lol. Ah well, I honestly adore Salandit. Buddy is adorable and I'm going to keep SOSing and hope for a female next.

Marvs

Shinneeee!
Apparently odds for SOS have been discovered, and the results are... well, I don't think they're accurate, but I can't argue with it.

Before a chain of 70 your chances are the same as full odds(The unbelievable part IMO), once you hit a chain of 70 your shiny chance rolls 3 additional times which without charm reduces your chances to around 1/1024, with shiny charm your chances reduce to 1/683.

I honestly don't think it adds up, but apparently it's official.

Yes, I also don't fully agree with that. I have only done three hunts but they have all shone very quickly (within 100-200), I felt the 1/512 odds was more likely!

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
I'm still on route 116 hunting more eevees, hoping to get one (or two) with their HA. I just found sparkles, but it wasn't an eevee.

It's a skitty. Female, hardy nature, scatters things often, and she got Wonder Skin, her HA. I'll see if I have a moon stone available to evolve her, though if I don't, then I dunno where I'm gonna get one. There's no Global Link for Gen VI now so I can't use the games to get the evolution stones anymore.

Edit: Caught my third shiny eevee after 789 seen. This one is a male, modest nature and likes to thrash about, with Adaptability. Still looking for a HA one

Congrats on the shinies :) Regarding Moon Stones you can get them easily using Pickup. I found at least 20 on my AS while trying to Pickup a Destiny Knot.

Charoshi

Charmander is best
I'm not usually the type to lament getting random shinies, I'm really not. I'm of the opinion that beggars can't be choosers, but I'm starting to wish my random luck with shinies would refocus itself into my Litleo hunt.

I'm at near 1200 eggs for Litleo on this run (who knows how many in the past) so I figured I'd change gears last night and try chaining. I've never been particularly good at it in x and y but with my RE luck I figured what the heck. First time I used the Pokeradar and ran into a patch of grass this guy appeared.

[Img139]https://s29.postimg.org/474jlgkl3/IMG_0876.jpg[/Img139]

First use of the Pokeradar, first patch of grass and first shiny. It would be Bibarel too, who doesn't have a huge noticeable difference in forms, but a shiny is a shiny.

I love random shinies I really do, but I really wish my luck would focus more on this litleo hunt. I never could get a chain to go longer than 13, before it would break in a patch of grass that should have been good.

So I took a break, and this morning decided I'd go back to collecting eggs. I figured why not, the chaining wasn't working, so I started collecting eggs again. I ran into a patch of grass just for fun, because my luck has been really good lately and of course I would find a shiny.

[Img139]https://s23.postimg.org/lwsy84xob/IMG_0878.jpg[/Img139]

This completes the set with my random Volbeat 2-3 days ago but my random encounter luck is getting absurd. I'm close to the point where I might just give up hatching eggs and run around on Route 22 with no pokeradar and just hope to heck it works.

Congrats to all of the recent shinies, and I hope that some of my recent Non- Litleo luck can transfer to everyone else here, as well as to my Litleo hunt.

Echo Nacyl

Grats on the new shinies, guys.

Meanwhile, all of my sad face. After well over 1000 eggs, a blue Rockruff finally hatched...and she's got a regular ability. As I had my heart set on HA, the hunt therefore continues. I'll be keeping the one I just hatched as a Rockruff for shinydex purposes, so it isn't a total loss.

CryHavoc91

Prof. Gengarchomp
So
I've been having trouble figuring out the best way to do an SOS hunt. Should I be knocking out every poke that comes to help and leaving the original poke alone? Or does it matter as long as I don't let one faint without them having help show up?

Drakonekoshi

11 days, 1000+ eggs and I still don't have a shiny Jangmo-o, why does this have to happen to me, why a pokemon that takes a lot of steps to hatch, even with Flame Body, and my first Masuda Method hunt in Gen 7, the shiny charm really isn't working for me and I'm slowly losing all of my hope.Ugh.

Congrats on everyone who's gotten recent shinies, and good luck to those still hunting, especially those who are taking a long time to get a shiny like I am currently!

EDIT: FINALLY! I posted this way too soon, a shiny just hatched and aA

Photo on 12-12-16 at 8.47 PM.jpg

I named her after my recently deceased aunt, I was gonna name her Heartbreaker out of spite but I just couldn't do it...I'm so glad this is finally over..

Last edited:

Scherzando

scare-TZAN-doe
So
I've been having trouble figuring out the best way to do an SOS hunt. Should I be knocking out every poke that comes to help and leaving the original poke alone? Or does it matter as long as I don't let one faint without them having help show up?

I don't think it matters either way, but it's just much easier to leave the original pokemon alone, preferably with low HP (false swipe helps with this, as long as it doesn't have recoil moves), and then KO all the summoned pokemon as they appear. Use an adrenaline orb the first turn, and if the pokemon doesn't call for help or its help doesn't appear, keep using adrenaline orbs because it'll take up a turn but the orbs won't get used up.

As for my hunts... well, I haven't come across any shinies in my playthrough so far (and I have a ridiculous amount of hours racked up already ._.), but I did evolve that very legit-looking Popplio I got on the GTS. He is now a handsome blond Primarina :D

EDIT: SHINY DITTO!!! I was chaining for 4IVs and a shiny one appeared after about 12 minutes in. I caught it in a Dive Ball to match its color. It's Lax with max Defense and Sp Attack.

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
So far my favorite SM shiny legendary is Lunala, my favorite SM shiny starter is Decidueye and my favorite SM Ultra Beast is Nihilego

Laurelai

Ok! Got her :) After another 100 or so SOS chains, a shiny lady Salandit showed up :) I named her Liza after Liza Minelli lol (think lounge lizard).

Here's her little brother; jiminey I love Salandits- they are like dragon puppies!!
[spoil][img139]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/kit14525/Buddy_zps1ymkojef.png[/img139][/spoil]

Here's Liza in her beast ball!
[spoil][img139]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/kit14525/Liza_zpskmsuatdy.png[/img139][/spoil]

Annnnd her judging stats.
[spoil][img139]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/kit14525/Liza%20stats_zpsimrrhq2n.png[/img139][/spoil]

Good luck folks on your continued hunts!!

Hyokaze

I've only got 16 shiny Pokémon left to get out of the obtainable new ones right now plus,
Two more Alolan forms, Ten more Silvally, Seven Different Minior, Three Oricorio, Two more Wishiwashi, and a Lycanroc in a berry tree.

I recently traded away a few of the Shiny Silvally I collected to GTS trade for others I needed, but it shouldn't take to much longer at this rate.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Of the current unavailable shinies, which do you think should be available the earliest

For me it's a three-way tie between Zygarde, Celebi, and Victini

Zygarde, because we already have Xerneas and Yveltal. Celebi and Victini because I like their colors.

The flowers don't change shininess, but the creature does. Since Gen VI and beyond shinies were fully intended in their coloration, I wonder if there was a plan for that and what

Meanwhile, there's Shiny Komala

I've only got 16 shiny Pokémon left to get out of the obtainable new ones right now plus,
Two more Alolan forms, Ten more Silvally, Seven Different Minior, Three Oricorio, Two more Wishiwashi, and a Lycanroc in a berry tree.

Eh, Minior only has 1 shiny form for all cores, so IMO it's not worth it getting 7 of them.
Also, Wishiwashi's School Form is a battle-only form, so there's no point in getting 2, and I'm very sure Lycanroc doesn't show up from berry trees.

Anyway, right now I'm MM-ing for Minior. It's still really early, I just hatched only 50 eggs, let's see how many eggs it will take until I get a shiny one :D
Once I'm done with Minior then I'll SR for Type: Null.

Also, while updating the CH completion I noticed this:

Edit: For the community hunt does it have to be a new pokemon? If not then CH complete.

I forgot to mention about this. No, it doesn't have to be a new Pokemon. It just needs to be something obtained in Sun/Moon :)
I'll add that in the first post.

(and while updating I noticed Crabrawler is kinda a pain to type lol)

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Congrats on the shinies :) Regarding Moon Stones you can get them easily using Pickup. I found at least 20 on my AS while trying to Pickup a Destiny Knot.

I realized that after I made the post. I forgot skitty is a moon stone evo; I thought it was a dusk stone evo and dusk stones can't be collected with PickUp. I'm currently over at Y's friend safari hunting for a shiny non-HA pumpkaboo. As long as it does not have Insomnia, I'll be happy; if it has Frisk I have plenty of ability capsules.

Keovix

Congratulations to everybody on your shinies!

Claimed the shiny charm last week and have been shiny hunting using the S.O.S. method, I've found 3 shinies so far.

First to appear was Pikipek after 371 encounters, Modest nature and 31 IV's in HP, Sp. Attack, Defense and Speed.

Second shiny to appear was Rattata after 460 encounters, Rash nature and 31 IV's in HP, Sp. Attack, Attack and Defense.

And last but not least Smeargle after 560 encounters, gonna EV train Smeargle and eventually use to hunt other pokemon. Modest nature, 31 IV's in HP, Sp. Attack, Sp. Def and Speed.

Currently hunting Cutiefly so far over 737 encounters and counting, hopefully it shines soon!

Good luck!

ChaoticInverse

<--31,000 incounting
Hi guys!

It's been a tiny while since I've posted but I really haven't gotten much shiny luck. The only shiny I've gotten during this long hiatus was an accidental one. I was breeding batches of pokemon and I accidentally hatched a shiny torchic, she's got 5IV, speedboost and is dociled natured so she's pretty neat.

I have been hunting pretty hard though. I got Sun and I've been sr-ing for a starter since it came out and I am at 850 srs, I was switching between litten and rowlet but I realized even though I think Litten has a very unique shiny that I much prefer the rowlet line overall so rowlet is now my sole target.

Aside from rowlet I've also picked up my shiny torchic hunt in 3rd gen again. I am currently at 34,000 srs with not a shiny torchic in sight. XD.

My hope is for one of these guys to shine soon (Especially torchic! since I don't know how long the battery will last :/)

Congrats on all the new shinies!

I'm curious about something though. I've heard pokemon from the re-released yellow/blue/red games can be transferred over to SUMO, does that mean they could potentially be shiny?

Hyokaze

Eh, Minior only has 1 shiny form for all cores, so IMO it's not worth it getting 7 of them.
Well Minior do have different box sprites so I'd like to get all the variations even if the actual model is the same. Pointlessness is it's own reward.
Also, Wishiwashi's School Form is a battle-only form, so there's no point in getting 2
I do agree with you on Wishiwashi, but I go after everything available and then some, for instance with Venusaur I'd have about 8 of them, 1 for the dex, 1 each of the Genders, 1 for Mega, then the shiny forms of each. It's a little weird but it's awesome seeing it all together.
and I'm very sure Lycanroc doesn't show up from berry trees.

No they don't, that Lycanroc bit was a "Twelve Days Of Christmas" joke. :p

Also got two more of the new Pokémon a shiny Fomantis and Dhelmise, so down to 14 now.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
I'm curious about something though. I've heard pokemon from the re-released yellow/blue/red games can be transferred over to SUMO, does that mean they could potentially be shiny?

I'd assume they could be shiny, but you'd probably have to be very, very lucky.

Sito

Shiny Breeder
So today I got a shiny I wasnt completely expecting. Got a shiny Cutiefly. Was breeding it because someone asked me to get a female one, so I breed like less than 20 eggs and it hatched :)
The best part is that its perfect. 31/x/31/31/31/31 Timid Nature with Shield Dust on a Love Ball, which is the best ball for its shiny form :)
Edit: Picture Added

Cutiefly.jpg

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Got a shiny in the friend safari. Not the pumpkaboo I was looking for, though... It's a lampent. She's lax, takes plenty of siestas, with max IVs in HP and SpATK but a pathetic one in Speed. Gonna send her forward to AS once I get the pumpkaboo (and possibly spiritomb, depending on which way my luck runs) I'm looking for.

Edit: Got another shiny lampent. Male, quirky, likes to thrash about, Flash Fire. Say hello to Wonder Trade, lampent.

Edit #2: And there's the shiny spiritomb. Female, naive, likes to thrash about, and has her HA, Infiltrator. I'll send her ahead to AS along with the first lampent and pumpkaboo, whenever the bugger decides to shine. She has max IVs in ATK and SpATK.

Last edited:

maldoror

Congrats to all on your recent shinies and good luck in your ongoing hunts!

I took a short break from hunting to complete the dex and get the shiny charm (I am 8 away; all Pokemon I will get through evolution). Yesterday afternoon I was gathering Eevees to evolve and a shiny Pikipek appeared! It has been a long while since I got a full odds (no charm, MM, FS, SOS, etc) shiny. I already evolved my first one, so she will stay a Pikipek.

I am grinding on the mountain outside the elite four now for those last few evolutions, so maybe something will shine (hopefully Vulpix).

Edit! After getting the shiny charm, I went back to my Mimikyu MM hunt. The first egg collected shined! She is Adamant (everstoned) with 4 perfect IVs (missing SpA and HP). She is so awesome. I don't know what I am going to hunt next.

Last edited: