• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Waves01

Shiny Hunter
Yeah it was SOS, I went out and caught 5 Damp Golducks just to do this, which was hard because they still took a good amount of damage from Thunder Punch. Would I recommend hunting Geodude via SOS? No. Hell no. Sturdy + Paralysis shenanigans, Damp Pokemon being a must, and full heals/paralyze heals/full restores being totally necessary is really, really tedious. I'm glad mine paid off with a HA shiny though. That was totally unexpected.

I'd say Minior, it's got a really cool shiny and Pinsir can just be ORAS chained or Friend Safari'd in Gen 6.

Cool I Shiny hunted mimikyu and used a pinsir with false swipe bcuz it had mold breaker it ignored the disguise. And ok Minior will be my first MM hunt in gen 7. Good luck hunting Comfey

PokeAmi

I'm playing through Sun, and decided to put the main-story playthrough on hold because I really wanted a shiny female salandit on my team throughtout the main story.

Now finally after 3 weeks, 1 shiny magby and 1 shiny male salandit, I finally got the shiny female salandit I wanted! :D

roule

take it all or leave it... I Feel You
i got my first sun shiny last week, on monday! i sos chained pichus from sunday until monday, and just when i was about to give up, i got her!

CzwvDd-XEAY3nc2.jpg

i was going to evolve her to a raichu, but for now, im just going to keep her as a pikachu so i can use the pikachu z move :)

Azulart

Shiny Hunter
Hey guys, I decided to hunt for Type Null

And heck, I got it on my Fourth SR :O

Its Naive natured too, I'm very happy !

[img139]https://s24.postimg.org/gj3wm82ud/WIN_20161218_21_50_03_Pro.jpg[/img139]

Waves01

Shiny Hunter
Started the MM hunt for Minior.
Only ten eggs so far. can I hatch the different colors of Minior or is it only the one I'm breeding?

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Congrats on all the recent shinies everyone! Now that I've finished both Sun and Moon and completed my Alolan Pokedex in the latter, I'm returning to hunting so I'll be a more frequent visitor in this thread again ^_^

It. Finally. Freaking. Happened.

After 33,863 SRs, 4.13x the odds and over a year of hunting... Shiny Volcarona is finally mine!!!!!!!

And I'm so excited, I decided to post a picture!

[img139]http://i.imgur.com/vw5CRTC.jpg[/img139]

I seriously cannot describe how happy I am to have finally gotten this thing... I thought I was going to go the entirety of 2016 without a shiny on White 2. I'm just so shocked, excited, joyful and relieved all at the same time. This was by far the most grueling and frustrating hunt I've ever had, and the longest in every metric: total time spent (somewhere around 340-350 hours, or in other words, close to 2 weeks' worth of nonstop hunting), time since my last White 2 shiny (over 13 months), number of encounters (over twice as many as my previous record and five times as many as the 5 other shinies on the BQ combined), and farthest over odds. But in the end, all that effort was worth it and I now have a beautiful bright yellow shiny Volcarona to call my own. It's a female with a Relaxed nature and the Flame Body ability, lovingly named EffingMoth (after the hunt it put me through, it deserves the name lol). I'll probably change it later once the shock wears off, but for now it will carry a trolly name like the troll it is. XD

Now that I can finally leave Relic Castle and play my game again, I'll be moving on to the 7th hunt of the BQ, which will be Virizion. I've waited for a very long time to go after this shiny, and although I don't like doing SR hunts back-to-back on the same game, I'm excited for a White 2 hunt that isn't Volcarona. XD In other news, I've started my Trial Quest in Sun, where I'll be doing 11 total hunts, one for each trial/grand trial. I've done just 75 SRs for Rowlet so far, but now that Volcarona is done I can focus more on that hunt. My other quests stand at 1500 REs in Slowpoke Well, 2000 REs in Santalune Forest, 1200 REs in Dragonspiral Tower, and 4200 SRs for Chimchar.

Good luck to all of you on your hunts, and happy holidays!

Last edited:

Waves01

Shiny Hunter
Congrats on all the recent shinies everyone! Now that I've finished both Sun and Moon and completed my Alolan Pokedex in the latter, I'm returning to hunting so I'll be a more frequent visitor in this thread again ^_^

After 33,863 SRs, 4.13x the odds and over a year of hunting... Shiny Volcarona is finally mine!!!!!!!

I seriously cannot describe how happy I am to have finally gotten this thing... I thought I was going to go the entirety of 2016 without a shiny on White 2. I'm just so shocked, excited, joyful and relieved all at the same time. This was by far the most grueling and frustrating hunt I've ever had, and the longest in every metric: total time spent (somewhere around 340-350 hours, or in other words, close to 2 weeks' worth of nonstop hunting), time since my last White 2 shiny (over 13 months), number of encounters (over twice as many as my previous record and five times as many as the 5 other shinies on the BQ combined), and farthest over odds. But in the end, all that effort was worth it and I now have a beautiful bright yellow shiny Volcarona to call my own. It's a female with a Relaxed nature and the Flame Body ability, lovingly named EffingMoth (after the hunt it put me through, it deserves the name lol). I'll probably change it later once the shock wears off, but for now it will carry a trolly name like the troll it is. XD

Now that I can finally leave Relic Castle and play my game again, I'll be moving on to the 7th hunt of the BQ, which will be Virizion. I've waited for a very long time to go after this shiny, and although I don't like doing SR hunts back-to-back on the same game, I'm excited for a White 2 hunt that isn't Volcarona. XD In other news, I've started my Trial Quest in Sun, where I'll be doing 11 total hunts, one for each trial/grand trial. I've done just 75 SRs for Rowlet so far, but now that Volcarona is done I can focus more on that hunt. My other quests stand at 1500 REs in Slowpoke Well, 2000 REs in Santalune Forest, 1200 REs in Dragonspiral Tower, and 4200 SRs for Chimchar.

OMG! you must have really wanted one to hunt for that long. congrats MY Friend.

RedJirachi

Veteran member

It's a beautiful shiny, you've earned it

Waves01

Shiny Hunter
Started my first MM hunt in pkmn moon it's a Minior hunt already hatched over 65 eggs. Hope I get one soon. I'm breeding it with a foreign ditto and the Minior I'm breeding has a naive nature.

Marvs

Shinneeee!
Got my shiny charm this weekend (only half way through the game too!) and decided to test it out by hatching Wimpods, I got a random shiny one on Wondertrade with decent IVs and used that as a parent. About 45 eggs later a little red legit wimpod hatched! Moved straight onto Vulpix in excitement, but not so much luck there, think I am on around 200 eggs now.

maldoror

Congrats to all on your recent shinies and good luck in your ongoing hunts!

On Saturday, Rockruff shined after a few hundred eggs. She didn't get the Attack IV, but she is still awesome. While EV training her in speed, a shiny Cutiefly appeared! Perfect SpA, Speed, defense, and SDef. Ribombee was the MVP of my Sun playthrough so I had hoped to MM one eventually but this one is awesome.

I am now SOS hunting Cubones and will go back to MMing Fomantis when this chain breaks.

Waves01

Shiny Hunter
Got my shiny charm this weekend (only half way through the game too!) and decided to test it out by hatching Wimpods, I got a random shiny one on Wondertrade with decent IVs and used that as a parent. About 45 eggs later a little red legit wimpod hatched! Moved straight onto Vulpix in excitement, but not so much luck there, think I am on around 200 eggs now.

Awesome I didn't get my shiny charm till after I beat the game. and now I'm hunting Minior atm the MM way abt 105-110. good luck with the vulpix hunt and I hope I get my black meteorite soon.

Marvs

Shinneeee!
Awesome I didn't get my shiny charm till after I beat the game. and now I'm hunting Minior atm the MM way abt 105-110. good luck with the vulpix hunt and I hope I get my black meteorite soon.

Thank you! I used Carvanha to get most of the Pokemon (excluding some of the rarer trade whilst holding pokes) so if anyone needs any help that's the pokemon I would advise breeding in bulk!

After Vulpix I need to continue with the story, shiny hunting distracts me too much!

Waves01

Shiny Hunter
Thank you! I used Carvanha to get most of the Pokemon (excluding some of the rarer trade whilst holding pokes) so if anyone needs any help that's the pokemon I would advise breeding in bulk!

After Vulpix I need to continue with the story, shiny hunting distracts me too much!

NP. Cool i used fearow for most of mine then i used my pinsir for mimikyu and smeargle for the rest. and how did u get those sprites for ur signature?

AmethystLeslie

This is what I get for trying to breed 5IV Castform. Force of habit at this point.

Just hatched a shiny one. Male/Timid, Best/Best/Pretty Good/Best/Best/Best.

Breeding some just to give to people in case they want Castform for the dex. Just felt like breeding 6IV ones, and giving them Cosmic Power and some levelup moves.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Got my Shiny Comfey in 207 SOS encounters. This one was a PAIN. Draining Kiss and Wrap got very annoying, I had to keep the 20+ leveled ones alive as they don't have Draining Kiss, but they still have Wrap. :/

My shiny is Sassy with 4IVs and I named her Leila. Now going for Spinarak since I was going to go for one in Gen 6, but I would've had to breed, this is much easier. :)

Scherzando

scare-TZAN-doe
Just caught a nice dark red Rattata! I went to Route 2 to EV train and it was the first pokemon to show up. Without lowering its HP (I wasn't going to risk losing a shiny by using Toxic, my team's only status move), I caught it in a Premier Ball because I like the contrast of the white/red ball with the Rattata's dark red. Now I have a shiny regular Raticate and a (eventually) shiny Alolan Raticate. :D

I actually recommend catching a Pokemon in an Apricorn Ball that is in high demand and breeding them. I got more than 60% of my dex completed because of Love Ball Komalas.
I did that too. I put apricorn Eevees on the GTS and they go in SECONDS. Deposit, browse a bit, exit, and revisit the GTS and it's traded.

Last edited:

Erron Black

The Outlaw

I actually recommend catching a Pokemon in an Apricorn Ball that is in high demand and breeding them. I got more than 60% of my dex completed because of Love Ball Komalas.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
What Alola forms do you think have better shinies than their normal variant counterparts, and which do you think have worse?

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I'm excited about Gen 7 because WE CAN FINALLY HAVE OUR LEGIT MOON BALL UMBREONS!

*inhales deeply, exhales slowly*

Anyway, I'm at 1,100 eggs for pumpkaboo. Realized the one I was breeding was small or medium, so I... upsized.