• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Azulart

Shiny Hunter
Another shiny bites the dust !

Little thing hatched on the 41 egg, pretty quick how I like it best !

[img139]https://s30.postimg.org/y5zzhcr1t/WIN_20170109_15_27_14_Pro_2.jpg[/img139]

RedJirachi

Veteran member
So I went to Ever Grande City to get my shiny Luvdisc and instead ended up getting the most unlikely shiny out of that encounter pool. :>

[img139]http://i.imgur.com/OSVgnM5.jpg[/img139][img139]http://i.imgur.com/oq2HqBD.jpg[/img139]

Super happy about it, since I wanted a shiny Corsola, but I figured that fishing for it wasn't worth it with the low 5% encounter rate. Found her at a chain of 35 and it was also the second Corsola in the whole chain. The chain is still going at 241 (this Luvdisc is stubborn lol), so I haven't seen the stats yet.

Good for you. Maybe you'll be lucky and end up getting a shiny Mareanie later on

Erron Black

The Outlaw
I'm pretty sure you can't SOS chain a Mareanie because to get it to spawn, you have to chain Corsola. When you have a SOS chain and a different species appears, it will not chain.

How it works is, yes, they can chain Mareanie, just not using a Mareanie. You must have a Corsola calling allies, as a Pokemon of a different species than the original caller will NOT call help. You can still obviously chain for Mareanie, it's just a lot harder than other SOS chains.

xerxes

ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ
I named her PrincessLeiA; a pun that made both my daughters groan.
That's what nicknames are really all about, are they not? x)

Good for you. Maybe you'll be lucky and end up getting a shiny Mareanie later on
Thanks! I already have a shiny Mareanie though. :p I MM'd a Beast Ball one with great stats and everything about a week ago.

I caught some more shinies by chain fishing in AS. Got 2x Barboach and 1x Luvdisc today. I'll probably go for all the fishable Pokémon in AS, since there's not too many anyway. They're not that impressive though, so I'll just make a little shiny fish collage after I'm done with them, instead of sharing individual pictures lol.

There's just something relaxing/satisfying about shiny hunting methods that have you pay attention a little, you know? Rather than just mindlessly cycling in circles or waiting out the starting screen.

Last edited:

Flan

loves birbs.
It's been a while since I've posted here, with my last update being that of shiny Rowlet, though I've since obtained a shiny Mudbray, Oricorio, Carbink, Masquerain, Espeon, Rockruff, Mareanie, Cubone, Pikipek, and Jangmo-o. It's been a rather fortunate month of hunting for me on S/M lol, though the Shiny Charm makes life a lot easier. Currently, I'm SRing for shiny Type: Null on Sun and am at over 1,300+ SRs from the past 4-5 days of hunting. I haven't really been counting exactly.

I'm waiting until I hit odds at 4,096 before I start complaining, bahaha. I'm starting to get restless, but I know most people get theirs between 2,000-3,000 SRs. I've got the Shiny Charm but I'm not entirely sure that it helps with Type: Null.

Last edited:

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Oh I also got a shiny Finneon as you all could probably tell. This one has been my LONGEST SOS hunt ever. I'm just hoping I don't get any that go too high...

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I just caught a shiny Rockruff here it is! It took me 172 SOS encounters. It's a male, and it's brave nature. I was hoping for a male brave nature, so that's even more awesome. This is my first shiny of 2017. I caught it in a Dive Ball as well.

[IMG300]http://i.imgur.com/XHy3aHD.jpg[/IMG300]
[IMG300]http://i.imgur.com/SZIqZiH.jpg[/IMG300]

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I finally SOS-ed my next shiny. I caught a Poliwag, and now it is a Poliwhirl ready to be evolved into a Politoed.

Azulart

Shiny Hunter
Dropped 18 eggs in poke pelago before I head to work.. came back from work and.. the 14th egg was a shiny like wow.. lovely too ! Sweet looking shiny.

[img139]https://s29.postimg.org/ca1pohu8n/WIN_20170110_14_45_59_Pro_2.jpg[/img139]

Lurantis

Autism Love
So I don't usually have a lot of time to play because I'm a parent of two. So I recently decided to try the shiny swap method because it would reduce the amount of time I spent on my game. Last night I was at 425 eggs and found shiny magikarp then swiftly put in rowlet. Now, I can finally move forward with my game and get shiny charm so I never have to do this again with these odds haha. It has 4 IV ( hp, atk, def, and spe) Adamant nature with haze, defog, baton pass, and ominous wind. Male. Love it.

Last edited:

Viviaren

Smug Snek
I got my first SOS shiny yesterday, which was a Rufflet with adamant nature. I got it after 63 encounters. I was pretty happy because haven't really been lucky at all with finding shinies in Sun, especially through the SOS method. The only other shiny I've caught so far is a shiny Lycanroc (Midnight) which I found via random encounter.

EDIT: Just caught a shiny male Alola Vulpix in 31 encounters. That makes two shinies caught using the SOS system.

Last edited:

Bowlbasaur

You know, I wasn't sold on this whole SOS shiny chain thing but it has really grown on me! Added a second shiny Pichu to the team last night (first one was for my husband, this one was for me lol) and now I'm after a Mimikyu. Congrats to everyone's recent shinies!

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Azulart on Minior, Clarity on Fomantis, xerxes on Vulpix, maldoror on Stufful, Conquering Storm on Sandile and Litten, Azulart on Dewpider and Togedemaru, Paraqua on both Salandit and Pyukumuku, maldoror on Sandygast, Azulart on Mimikyu and Passimian, Lurantis on Magikarp/Rowlet, and everyone else on your shinies!

-------------

:| Getting really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really tired of finding useless duplicates. Phanpy was swarming today on Platinum, so I was hunting at Route 207. 40% Phanpy, leaving the remaining 60% split up among 3 pokemon – Machop, Geodude, and Ponyta. So naturally, which Pokemon decides to be shiny after 12,636 REs? Freaking 27% shiny Machop.

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/0fg1e0n.jpg[/IMG200]

That leaves just 1 more game currently over odds and that’s HeartGold at 8,800 REs. Black 2 is at 1,800 REs and Platinum is at 300 REs. Hopefully I can stop finding so many useless duplicates…

Good luck, everyone (especially TheMaster327, Bumblebee5253, umbreonfan3636, ChaoticInverse, CharlieDoryRose, SheroGH, G-Money, Martinzqx, tui, markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, Pluski, ElectricBassClef, and Nakashima)!

Blasting Toise

I found shiny Grubbin after long and tiring sos-battle. I was actually looking for Happiny. Not sure if it can appear in such a battle but Serebii's Pokearth seems to say so... not sure if I read it right.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Has anyone had a situation where they're trying to find a rare Pokemon like a 1 or 5% encounter or a hard to find ability, but they ended up getting a shiny before that? For me, that would Ditto. I was trying to get an Imposter Ditto from the Hidden Grotto, and while waiting for it to respawn moving around in the grass I encountered a shiny Ditto

Laurelai

Has anyone had a situation where they're trying to find a rare Pokemon like a 1 or 5% encounter or a hard to find ability, but they ended up getting a shiny before that? For me, that would Ditto. I was trying to get an Imposter Ditto from the Hidden Grotto, and while waiting for it to respawn moving around in the grass I encountered a shiny Ditto

Just three days ago! I was puttering around Route 8 looking for a Stufful to chain for breeding and *pop* up jumped a tan and lavender Yungoos :D

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
There's just something relaxing/satisfying about shiny hunting methods that have you pay attention a little, you know? Rather than just mindlessly cycling in circles or waiting out the starting screen.

I disagree, the other methods are just as relaxing since they don't require much attention you can just chill and watch TV without having to look down so often. Plus most methods have such high odds of finding a shiny that its not really all that satisfying either.

-------

Well I've been SRing for Popplio and these SRs are brutal! I'm at 400 so far, really hoping this doesn't go over odds but my luck with starter hunts isn't that great lol.

Gratz on the recent shines and good luck everyone!

Echo Nacyl

2000 SRs for Null so far and no dice yet. Being ultra-careful not to let myself default to autopilot and miss it. Actually makes me miss SRing for Zekrom a bit, since at least then there was an audio cue. My eyes start playing tricks on me after a couple hours of these Null resets.

Good luck to everyone else on their hunts, especially those of you going for starters/legends/Null.

Also, as to finding a shiny while searching for a rare, found my shiny Fearow while looking for a Green Core Minior. Not strictly rare but close enough.

Last edited:

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Congrats to xerxes on Mareanie, Meowth, Golbat, Vulpix, Feebas, Corsola, Barboach x2, and Luvdisc, Shiny Lord on Sandygast, Rockruff, Yungoos, and Mankey, Bowlbasaur on Pichu x2, Tsukuyomi56 on Carbink, Laurelai on Bonsly and Yungoos, Azulart on Cutiefly, Minior, Dewpider, Togedemaru, Mimikyu, and Passimian, kawaiiconcept on Spearow, Charoshi on Koffing and Swablu, Erron Black on Jigglypuff (nice name btw), Bergmite, and Finneon, Cpchris on Cottonee and Machop, jginz1 on Caterpie, Pikipek, Clarity on Fomantis, maldoror on Stufful, Sandygast, and Comfey, Conquering Storm on Sandile and Litten, Keovix on Bruxish, Paraqua on Rockruff, Grubbin, Ditto, Mudbray, Meowth, Salandit x2, Pyukumuku, and Granbull, Completely Insanity on Mudbray, Oricorio, Carbink, Masquerain, Espeon, Rockruff, Mareanie, Cubone, Pikipek, and Jangmo-o, NintendoFan82 on Rockruff, Auraninja on Poliwag, Lurantis on Rowlet, Viviaren on Lycanroc, Rufflet, and Vulpix, Blasting Toise on Machop, and anyone else I may have missed on your shinies!

Thanks to Cpchris for the congrats!

@RedJirachi: My favorite shiny is probably Scolipede because it's my favorite color. I just love how vibrant it is and the blue rings add a nice contrast. In general, I tend to like shinies whose colors are either dramatically different or inverted from the original (some honorable mentions include the Treecko line, Sylveon, Rowlet, and a whole bunch of others that would probably take me all night to name lol).

As for getting a random shiny before a rare encounter, my shiny Carbink was found while looking for a Murkrow for the Dex. Also, it wasn't exactly rare, but I once found a shiny Ferroseed in the Friend Safari while Synchronizing for an Impish Klefki... I caught 10 non-Impish Klefki before that. XD

I still have yet to find my first shiny of 2017, despite hunting pretty much every day since the new year. At least I only have one over-odds hunt right now, that being Santalune Forest at 4800 REs. I'm also up to 5500 SRs for Chimchar, and I'm hoping I get it soon because I started this Platinum BQ file over half a year ago. My other hunts stand at 3200 REs for Slowpoke, 2000 REs in the Giant Chasm, 2400 REs in Dragonspiral Tower, and 2200 REs in Melemele Meadow.

Good luck to all of you on your hunts, especially TheMaster327, Cyberra, and Cpchris!