• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Bowlbasaur

Congrats to everyone on their recent shinies! I've had a busy month and have been slacking on shiny hunting, but last night I had my first successful shiny using the Magikarp swap! A nice little shiny Axew will be joining me on my second run through of Moon :)

Happy Hunting all!

Attachments

• 16299235_3398246352940_27650275574365840_n.jpg
    16299235_3398246352940_27650275574365840_n.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 6

Samayouru

Rabid Dusclops Fan
I am now at 5,000 REs for Virbank. Things are moving much quicker now I have 2 copies of both games each. Here's to hoping I won't encounter another Patrat.

At 4,180 SRs, I am now officially over odds for litten. This is a stubborn firekitten. Looking like I'm not gonna get a shiny in January.

It could be worse - I hunted for Yamask in my 5th gen games for just over 5 years before it finally showed up (and even though a lot of people will probably disagree, I think Cofagrigus's shiny colours are awesome so it was totally worth it in the end). Keep going, I'll be rooting for you!

So this is a random question I thought would make for an interesting topic: How many consoles have you seen people hunt on at one time? I was stunned when I saw one guy on youtube hunting on eight GBA SPs with Ruby and Sapphire. I don't know how he managed to stop himself from getting Carpal Tunnel Syndrome!

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
I am now at 5,000 REs for Virbank. Things are moving much quicker now I have 2 copies of both games each. Here's to hoping I won't encounter another Patrat.

It could be worse - I hunted for Yamask in my 5th gen games for just over 5 years before it finally showed up (and even though a lot of people will probably disagree, I think Cofagrigus's shiny colours are awesome so it was totally worth it in the end). Keep going, I'll be rooting for you!

So this is a random question I thought would make for an interesting topic: How many consoles have you seen people hunt on at one time? I was stunned when I saw one guy on youtube hunting on eight GBA SPs with Ruby and Sapphire. I don't know how he managed to stop himself from getting Carpal Tunnel Syndrome!

Honestly I've seen similar YouTube videos and it honestly is one of the things that puts me off from watching shiny videos, if someone is wielding way too many consoles at once. 4 is probably my limit but I love watching shiny videos with just one console. Too many consoles just makes seeing the shiny harder which detracts from the video imo. Just my 2 pennies/cents,

I passed the 300 egg mark for Sandygast. I have nearly 2 hours to hunt on the bus daily but I can't hunt very well because I get motion sickness quickly if I try to hunt. Does anyone else experience that problem when trying to hunt on public transport or in a car?

White 2 is also proving a pain for Nuzleaf / Fraxure / Altaria. I'm certain I'm past the odds now. Good luck to everyone though!

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Congrats to Cutty on Sandygast and your other shinies, The Thunderbird on Spearow, Echo Nacyl on Type: Null, Drowzee, Cutiefly, Wimpod, and Meowth, Laurelai on Elekid and Pyukumuku, Shinyhunter1990 on Zigzagoon and Froakie, Paraqua on Mimikyu, Crabrawler, Dewpider, Fletchinder, and Salandit, xerxes on Zorua, maldoror on Mareanie, Morelull, Oricorio x2, Psyduck, Hakamo-o, Rockruff, Yungoos, Mudbray, Pichu, Kangaskhan, Bruxish, Mankey, Finneon, Minior, and Dhelmise, Charoshi on Machop, Feebas, Shuppet, and Lillipup, SkyMew on Snivy, AmethystLeslie on Raticate, Azulart on Wingull x3 and Morelull, Crimson_Blazer on Sandygast, Rockruff, and Rattata, Keovix on Mimikyu, DS0308 on Pikipek and Yungoos, Atome on Charmeleon x2, Braixen, and Growlithe, Aaron1 on Klefki x2, Erron Black on Zekrom and Sandygast, SnazzySwampert on Lillipup, Popplio, Pelipper, and Rowlet, FairyWitch on Exeggcute, Scherzando on Totodile (good luck getting one with the nature you wanted!), Bowlbasaur on Axew, and anyone else I may have missed on your shinies!

Thanks to Paraqua for the congrats!

I've seen seven or eight at once as well. I can barely manage hunting on more than two systems at a time, so I don't know how these people do it - they have a crazy amount of dedication to shiny hunting. In fact, from what I've seen, a lot of them tend to fail shinies more often because it's just too hard to pay attention to all those games at once.

Haven't had a chance to post these until now, but I've managed to get two more shinies since the last time I was here. The first was a shiny Fletchling on my Y Route Quest, just a few days after I got Cutiefly. It came after 5240 REs, which isn't so bad. Her name is Red Baroness and she has a Quiet nature. I've since evolved her into a Talonflame and will probably use her as my new MM hatcher. The second was a shiny Tranquill in White last week while hunting for Mienfoo and Druddigon at Dragonspiral Tower. It appeared after 3403 REs total, and on only the second encounter of the day - I was completely flabbergasted! This one is also female, named Phoebe, with a Calm nature and the Big Pecks ability. I'll be keeping her as a Tranquill because I prefer male Unfezant's shiny, and Tranquill itself is actually a much nicer shiny in person than I'd ever realized.

I'm now onto the third hunt of the Route Quest, hoping for a (male) Burmy on Route 3, and I've started Phase 2 at Dragonspiral Tower, where I'm now repel tricking to guarantee that I get one of my targets. I'm also slowly chipping away at my other hunts, and especially hoping that Chimchar decides to show its face soon because it's starting to get close to the odds (6600 SRs atm). Maybe I'll get lucky and find one last shiny before January is over.

Good luck to all of you on your hunts, especially Cyberra and TheMaster327 on your Gen 7 starters!

Scherzando

scare-TZAN-doe
@Crimson Penguin: Thanks for the congrats! I feel like I don't deserve them because all I did was complain about a shiny. XD

I feel better now that I'm going to MM a proper one, but now my question is which ball do I put it in: Beast like the original or Dive?

Oh, and I caught a second shiny Rattata the other day while EV training. It wasn't the first encountered like last time, but the first one called in the chain. Same nature as the first xD but Hustle instead of Gluttony.

Edit: OMG I GOT A SHINY RALTS!!!!!!!! I can't believe I got it the first day of MMing!! After that Totodile failure I decided to try for the Moon HA Ralts I've been wanting ever since Mega Gallade was revealed. I wasn't keeping track of eggs but it only took about an hour and a half or so...? He's perfect 5IV and MALE THANK ARCEUS, buuuut unfortunately no HA. I'm wondering if I should keep trying... but then I'll probably get a female or something lol. I guess if he's gonna be Mega most of the time (eventually...) the HA doesn't really matter THAT much. Imma name him Orpheus! :D

Edit #2: Ha... ha ha... you know what? Synchronize/Steadfast isn't good enough. I've been wanting a moon ball HA FOREVER. I knew going in that this hunt would likely take multiple tries and I am still DETERMINED to get it. SO THE HUNT CONTINUES!

Edit #3: Before I get back to Ralts or Totodile, I'm going to try a few Honedge eggs. I've been hatching while collecting so I can't really keep track but I estimate that I'll have around 100 or more by the time I finish hatching what I got. If there's no shiny in here, I'm gonna go for Litwick since that'll be stress-free. Gender doesn't matter because the nickname will fit either, IVs can be hyper trained, and it's an 80% chance of getting the ability I want and I can always change it if it gets the wrong one.

Last edited:

Alatar VGC

House Greyjoy
Decided for my first MM on Moon should be a Love Ball Jangmo-o! Wish me luck.

Also, congratulations on all those recent shinies and to those still hunting!

Echo Nacyl

Thanks for the congrats, Crimson Penguin. Reading that made me realize I've done pretty good since getting Null.
On that note, I got a shiny Igglybuff last night while EV training. So glad I had the volume up to listen for sparkles, because I doubt I would've noticed otherwise. I didn't check what my chain was at; but it's Hardy, Cute Charm, female, 4v (HP/Atk/SpAtk/Speed) with Decent Defense and 0 SpDef.

Once again wasn't counting my chain, but got a shiny Luvdisc while EV training. Hasty with actually really excellent IVs. Shame it's a frikkin Luvdisc, lol. To the shinydex it goes!

Last edited:

AmethystLeslie

Has anyone gotten a shiny off of migrating Gen 1 pokes?

I really wanna know who did.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I've decided that when I SOS chain for the first time, it'll be Cubone that I target. It's the easiest to normal SOS for exp after all

Genos

The Indigo Disk
I decided to do some Magikarp SOS battle sessions. Because I was bored.

that boredom came with a surprise

I was like "no way" I can't believe it happened. I spend my time beating Magikarp and Gyarados in SOS battles only to come across this. I don't know if I consider myself lucky or being weird for doing Magikarp SOS battles without expecting a shiny. xD

I'm keeping it on that form, I already have shiny Gyarados that I transfer from the Bank.

My first caught shiny from the wild in S/M! :D

xEryChan

Demon Child
Last night while I was trying to complete the Alola PokeDex, I ran into a shiny Feebas and that was the first time I had encountered Feebas in these games and the fact that it was shiny completely caught me off guard. If it wasn't at night and majority of my family were asleep and also the fact that my 3 year old nephew is visiting, I would have been shouting and probably cussing. I just could not believe it took me a hour to find a Feebas and it ended being shiny.

umbreonfan3636

Hello everyone! It's been a while. Congrats to everyone who has gotten a shiny recently!

I've been on a Battle Tree binge lately and decided I wanted a competitive Shiny Scizor. So I'm currently on 400 Eggs for that green steel bug.

Good luck!

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
As I was randomly chain fishing in some ponds at Route 111 in Alpha Sapphire this weekend, I managed to encounter a shiny Goldeen hee hee. I'm pleased that chain fishing rewarded me with a new shiny after all my hard work, tho I'll admit that I'm not the biggest shiny Goldeen fan. Still, beggars can't be choosers. I've also done more S.O.S. encounters in Moon version for my shiny Mareanie hunt and goodluck to everyone else too. :]

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Always loved the colors on shiny Serperior so decided to try for one via Masuda Method before I finish transferring most of my stuff from Omega Ruby to Sun, especially since IVs now don't matter as much thanks to Hyper Training. Managed to hatch a shiny by the end of the first day! Unfortunately it had the normal ability, but I am nothing if not persistent. Two days and hundreds of eggs later (didn't count them but all the hours put in makes me assume hundreds) I got a Contrary Shiny Snivy! Now to just get it to level 100 or close to it before transferring.

It'll be going on a doubles team where having a good hidden power isn't as important for Serperior.

maldoror

Congrats to all on your recent shinies and good luck in your ongoing hunts!

One of the hunts I had planned on waiting for Bank was to SOS for a shiny female Salandit. I wanted to wait because I have a level 94 male cute charm Sylveon that would be perfect for the hunt. I moved him up to Sun on Saturday evening and set to hunting. My first chain broke after around 300 because I lost track of how many moves the anchor Salandit had used and it struggled. This happened early Sunday morning. I restocked my antidotes and full heals and started over. When I opened my game this morning, I could not recall how long the anchor had been in so I decided to switch in a new Salandit and start fresh to be safe. On the very next SOS call, this showed up:

http://i.imgur.com/eND5dTZ.jpg?1

I had been so afraid of getting a male even with the odds more in my favor. It turns out my fears were unfounded! Shiny FEMALE Salandit!! She has perfect IVs in everything except Speed and SpA and a Bold nature. She will be EV trained and eventually bottle capped.

I am now going back to my Alolan Sandshrew hunt.

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Laurelai on Yungoos, FairyWitch on Rockruff, Completely Insanity on Type: Null, Keovix on Pyukumuku, Lurantis on the Magikarp swaps, maldoror on Dewpider and Vulpix, Crimson Penguin on Cutiefly, Cutty on Crabrawler and Stufful and Sandygast, The Thunderbird on Spearow, Echo Nacyl on Type: Null, Paraqua on Mimikyu, maldoror on Mareanie, SkyMew on Snivy, AmethystLeslie on Raticate, Echo Nacyl on Cutiefly and Wimpod, Azulart on the Wingull and Morelull, Paraqua on Fletchinder, Keovix on Mimikyu, Echo Nacyl on Meowth, Aaron1 on both Klefki, Erron Black on Sandygast, SnazzySwampert on Popplio and Rowlet, Shinyhunter1990 on Froakie, Scherzando on Totodile, Bowlbasaur on the Magikarp swap, Crimson Penguin on Fletchling and Tranquill, Scherzando on Ralts, xEryChan on Feebas, Pokemon Fan on Snivy, and everyone else on your shinies!

Thanks for the congrats, Crimson Penguin ^ ^And thanks for the luck, as well!

-------------

I hunt on 3 systems at a time. Don’t really have the space for more systems and I’m not sure if I’d be very good at managing more than 3.

Has anyone gotten a shiny off of migrating Gen 1 pokes?

I really wanna know who did.

Not sure if this is quite what you mean, but there have been people who hunted legendaries on Gen 1 successfully. If you just mean that someone casually migrated a Pokemon and it happened to be shiny…Probably, but not that I’ve actually seen.

-------------

Hey, something good happened last night! I was beginning to think I wouldn’t find a third shiny this month. Granted, I haven’t hunted as much…Anyways, after work and hanging out with friends, I figured I had time for 100 REs. Well, I stalled long enough that I didn’t finish them before midnight (which just bothers me a bit when I find a shiny that feels like it was found on one day but was technically found on a different day). It had just turned midnight and I’d done 86 REs when I looked down and saw such a beautiful shiny on my screen!

After 5,186 REs on my Platinum game, I was staring at a gorgeous, blue shiny Snorunt!

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/F3uY26f.jpg[/IMG200]

I’m especially happy that it’s female! When it comes to pokemon who require a specific gender to evolve, I get worried that I’ll find enough shinies to complete the evolution line but missing a correct gender to actually do it. So now the next two Snorunt I find can be either gender and it won’t make a difference to my shiny dex! Bold nature, Ice Body ability, and the following IVs: . It will remain a Snorunt until I find more to determine which to evolve. Also, it’s only my second Ice-type shiny :eek:

In the meantime, I think I’m going to slightly change my strategy with this hunt. I wasn’t hunting with any sort of repel trick, but since Swinub is 35% and Snover is 30% (65% total and 5 total needed) while Snorunt is 20% and Sneasel is 15% (35% total and also 5 total needed), I think it may be best to repel trick to try to even out those percentages more. Lucky me, I’ll be able to lead that repel trick with this beautiful new shiny ^ ^

Meanwhile, Black 2 is at 6,900 REs and HeartGold is at 13,900 REs.

Good luck, everyone (especially Cyberra, TheMaster327, Bumblebee5253, umbreonfan3636, ChaoticInverse, CharlieDoryRose, SheroGH, G-Money, Martinzqx, tui, markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, Pluski, ElectricBassClef, and Nakashima)!

Scherzando

scare-TZAN-doe
OMG! Somewhere around 200 eggs later... shiny Honedge!! I saw that dark red right as it hatched and I gasped for a solid 3 seconds. I named her Mystletainn after the black/red/gold demon cyclops sword in Fire Emblem Awakening! http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/File:Mystletainn.jpg
She has a Brave nature (through everstone) and IVs are 30/31/31/xx/31/0. HP is the only one missing that I really needed but it's so good that I'm not going to bother hyper training it.
I guess Arceus is being kind to me after my Gastly MM going over 1,000, PLUS that Totodile failure. Next up is either stress-free Litwick or continuing my extremely stressful quest for a male moon ball HA Ralts.

Edit: collected aboouuut... 80ish more Ralts eggs? The way I'm collecting them, I'm hatching 5 at a time so I can't/don't really feel like keeping track. I have around half that many still in the PC waiting to hatch so who knows, maybe there's another shiny in there.

Last edited:

Manakete-Girl

'Cause Dragon Types
It's been a while since I last posted but there was a story to it... Mainly involing my bad luck with HA shines....

Basically after I accidently hatched 3 shiny whimpods I decided to mm for both vulpix forms with HA after pokebank came out and....

After hatching 2 non-HA normal vulpix on around egg 450 I got my Drought shiny Vulpix but that was the tame part... for the Alolan form it took over 1,200 eggs and a non-HA shiny I finally got my Snow warning shiny alolan vulpix.... And they are both in moon balls.

How I feel after this is:

No more Vulpix hatching please! I am feeling like I am slightly losing it

For my next hunt... Something that doesn't need it's HA!

Paraqua

Beginning Trainer
Congrats to Cutty on Sandygast and your other shinies, The Thunderbird on Spearow, Echo Nacyl on Type: Null, Drowzee, Cutiefly, Wimpod, Meowth and Igglybuff, Laurelai on Elekid and Pyukumuku, Shinyhunter1990 on Zigzagoon and Froakie, xerxes on Zorua, maldoror on Mareanie, Morelull, Oricorio x2, Psyduck, Hakamo-o, Rockruff, Yungoos, Mudbray, Pichu, Kangaskhan, Bruxish, Mankey, Finneon, Minior, and Dhelmise, Charoshi on Machop, Feebas, Shuppet, and Lillipup, SkyMew on Snivy, AmethystLeslie on Raticate, Azulart on Wingull x3 and Morelull, Crimson_Blazer on Sandygast, Rockruff, and Rattata, Keovix on Mimikyu, DS0308 on Pikipek and Yungoos, Atome on Charmeleon x2, Braixen, and Growlithe, Aaron1 on Klefki x2, Erron Black on Zekrom and Sandygast, SnazzySwampert on Lillipup, Popplio, Pelipper, Rowlet, Fomantis and Wishiwashi, FairyWitch on Exeggcute, Scherzando on Totodile, Bowlbasaur on Axew, Crimson Penguin on Fletchling and Tranquil, Scherzando on Rattata, Ralts and Honedge, Savvao on Magikarp, xEryChan on Feebas, Mrs. Oreo on Goldeen, Pokemon Fan on Snivy x2, maldoror on Salandit, Cpchris on Snorunt and to Manakete-Girl on Wimpod x3 and Vulpix.

After 337 eggs, a shiny Wimpod popped from it's egg.

Male (Nicknamed Zoidberg)
Adamant Nature (Through Everstone) and with the ability Wimp Out
IV's: 31/31/31/31/31/31
Eggmoves:
- Struggle Bug
- Sand Attack
- Metal Claw
- Aqua Jet

Good luck to all future Shinies =D