• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Echo Nacyl

Was looking for a particular Rhyhorn via DexNav in OR to help in a breeding project. Annoyed at the complete lack of finding my target as a male, I finally caught a female instead, since it's just an extra step. Did one more encounter anyway, to see what came up, and got a shiny Rhyhorn with Ice Fang. Bashful, female, Lightning Rod.

Manakete-Girl

'Cause Dragon Types
Today I thought I'll start hunting for a Shiny modest Minior, as I was trying to breed for a higher IV one as I already had a modest one, a little black star popped out the very first egg! So I guess my luck is now telling me to just hunt I guess?

Well next I'll be hunting for Litten.

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Scherzando on Honedge, Manakete-Girl on the Vulpix, Paraqua on Wimpod, Manakete-Girl on Minior, and on the other shinies since my last post!

Thanks for the congrats, Paraqua :]

-------------

Sooo remember how I said I hoped to find fewer useless duplicates this year? Yeah, that’s not going so well…After 7,039 REs on Black 2, I find yet another duplicate…A 5th shiny Altaria.

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/c6YMBuL.jpg[/IMG200]

Mind you, I’m repel tricking for Vulpix (and I’ll take a Marill), which are both normally 10%. Altaria is normally 5%. So I should have 4x as much a chance of actually getting one of my targets than getting an Altaria. Yet what have 2 of my 3 shinies been since taking on this hunt? Altaria. It’s quite frustrating, and I’m very much over my inexplicably terrible luck with finding useless duplicates that don’t even have some exceptionally high appearance rate (Altaria here are around 20%. That last Machop was around 27%. Bibarel are 30%, and comprise 4 of my 5 shinies from that route). Going to continue trying for Vulpix (my games have to stop torturing me eventually, right? Well, probably not…).

Good luck, everyone (especially Cyberra, TheMaster327, Bumblebee5253, umbreonfan3636, ChaoticInverse, CharlieDoryRose, SheroGH, G-Money, Martinzqx, tui, markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, Pluski, ElectricBassClef, and Nakashima)!

Shinyhunter1990

Shiny Hunter 4 life
Congratulations on all the shinies. Today I thought it would be fun to do more on my seedot hunt, three hours later it showed up. IMG_1434.jpg its level 22 and has the egg move defog. It has above-average potential

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I think Minior might be my favorite shiny of this generation

Samayouru

Rabid Dusclops Fan
HOLY MOTHER OF GOD I HAVE JUST BEEN THROUGH THE BIGGEST SCARE OF MY LIFE.

Decided to take a break from Bulba which is at 1000 SRs right now and did some hunting at Virbank. Was 11,100 REs in when this happened:

*Elekid shows up*

Me: Oh whoa that Elekid looks lighter than usual -

*Sparkles*

Me: !!!!!

For those of you who don't know: Elekid has a catch rate of 45 - meaning it is very difficult to catch.

And I only had 50 Pokeballs on me.

What happened next was possibly the most gruelling battle I have ever faced in my Shiny Hunting career. Hypnosis kept missing, Elekid kept waking up after 1 turn and it kept getting critical hits - all while only shaking once in a ball before breaking out. I was over halfway through my balls before the Elekid finally gave in and let me capture it. Thank god nobody was in the house at the time because I exploded into victorious shouts. I have saved the game several times now and I can't believe that it is finally over and I can move on from Virbank.

The nature is Modest, and he's capable of taking hits (which is actually quite fitting considering how many Pokeballs I hit him with).

I am now going to have a shower to help calm me down after this roller coaster of emotion. Congrats and good luck to everyone.

Ampharos_Spark

Gen 6 = <3
Congrats to everyone on their recent shinies!

I have returned once again with a new shiny! So I finally got around to playing through Moon so I could SR for Type: Null and have been SRing for it for the past couple of weeks. I was continuing to SR for it yesterday while I was getting ready to go to my mechanic (to confirm that my water pump needs to be replaced. it does ;_; ) and I wanted to get to 40 SRs s it would be easier to remember for when I got back when...

[IMG139]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/DarkSuicune/20170201_111604_zpsymexhkju.jpg[/IMG139]

Gladion gave me a golden one! He has flawless Hp, Attack, Defense, ~26 in Sp.Attack, ~23-27 in Sp.Defense and ~25-26 in speed. More pictures: OT/ID, Nature, Amie/Refresh, Sparkles and Video. I can't wait to EV train him! I might SR for another one later down the road so I can have both Null and Silvally.

Now that Photobucket is working for me again here are the pictures of Litten, Bagon and Poliwag that I promised! Bagon: Encounter, OT/ID, Nature, Sparkles. Poliwag: Encounter, OT/ID, Nature, Sparkles. Litten: Encounter (It's so unimpressed), OT/ID, Nature, Sparkles. Good luck to everyone on their hunts!

RasenShuriken6

After spending almost a week hatching eggs, I finally got shiny Litwick! To make it better, it has perfect IVs! Since I almost have my pokedex complete, I'm gonna work on getting the shiny charm before starting my next hunt. Congrats to everyone on their shiny finds, and best of luck to those currently hunting!

RedJirachi

Veteran member
HOLY MOTHER OF GOD I HAVE JUST BEEN THROUGH THE BIGGEST SCARE OF MY LIFE.

Decided to take a break from Bulba which is at 1000 SRs right now and did some hunting at Virbank. Was 11,100 REs in when this happened:

*Elekid shows up*

Me: Oh whoa that Elekid looks lighter than usual -

*Sparkles*

Me: !!!!!

For those of you who don't know: Elekid has a catch rate of 45 - meaning it is very difficult to catch.

And I only had 50 Pokeballs on me.

What happened next was possibly the most gruelling battle I have ever faced in my Shiny Hunting career. Hypnosis kept missing, Elekid kept waking up after 1 turn and it kept getting critical hits - all while only shaking once in a ball before breaking out. I was over halfway through my balls before the Elekid finally gave in and let me capture it. Thank god nobody was in the house at the time because I exploded into victorious shouts. I have saved the game several times now and I can't believe that it is finally over and I can move on from Virbank.

The nature is Modest, and he's capable of taking hits (which is actually quite fitting considering how many Pokeballs I hit him with).

I am now going to have a shower to help calm me down after this roller coaster of emotion. Congrats and good luck to everyone.

Awesome sauce to see you succeed. Its final form is a good example of how to do the "different shade of the same color" right on a shiny

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Samayouru on Elekid, Ampharos_Spark on Type: Null, and RasenShuriken6 on Litwick!

-------------

I am so damn sick of this crap. Another freaking Bibarel. Complete BS. 30% appearance rate and I find it 5 out of 6 times? How does this even happen? At least it was only 1,496 REs…

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/6QJesyO.jpg[/IMG200]

But seriously, a 70% chance of not-Bibarel has been ineffective 5 out of 6 times. I don’t even know how I ended up with such bass-ackwards luck so often. Venipede is one of my future targets, but given my absolute horrid luck with 20%-appearance Pokemon, I feel like I should just completely abandon that hunt now, especially since I would need 3 of them and there’s no way to boost their appearance (unlike Growlithe). I can only assume it would require a minimum of 30 phases to get 3 Venipede…

Good luck, everyone (especially Cyberra, TheMaster327, Bumblebee5253, umbreonfan3636, ChaoticInverse, CharlieDoryRose, SheroGH, G-Money, Martinzqx, tui, markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, Pluski, ElectricBassClef, and Nakashima)!

Scherzando

scare-TZAN-doe
*SCREECHES* FINALLY MY DREAM SHINY!!! MALE TELEPATHY MOON BALL RALTS! *asplodes*
I tried out the magikarp swap method for the first time - shoutout to Marvs and Road for the info! After maybe 110 orange magikarps, I saved and tried again with only 25. I found the Golden Magikarp on the 17th egg, and lo and behold it was male with Rattled, so I switched in my HA Ralts. I had 3 other pokemon ready to swap depending on what gender/ability combo it got. XD My hands were shaking and my heart was pounding as I collected the next 17 Ralts eggs. As soon as I got it, I put the rest in the PC and flew to Altar of the Moone and rode Tauros around, terrified something went wrong and it wouldn't be shiny... but it hatched (I could hear my heartbeat at this point) and it was shiny! 8D I named him Orpheus while my other non-HA shiny Ralts is now renamed Azriel.
Orpheus is Jolly (through everstone) and his IVs are 31/31/31/31/31/xx. I will obviously hyper train his speed. but AHHHH I'm so happy I finally have the Ralts I've been wanting since Mega Gallade's reveal!! :3

Thanks for the congrats, Cpchris! I hope those Bibarel leave you alone o__o
@Ampharos_Spark, I love your shiny videos :D I laughed at Null's happy RAWR through the helmet XD

maldoror

Congrats to all on your recent shinies and good luck on your ongoing hunts! Sorry Cpchris for the duplicates, that must be incredibly frustrating at full odds. Here's hoping your targets shine soon! Also, extra good luck to those SR hunting the Gen VII starters! Those SRs are brutal, so here is hoping things shine your way soon!

Yesterday, another Alolan form shined for me. After who knows how many eggs, Alolan Sandshrew shined! She is Adamant with Snow Cloak and 5 perfect IVs (missing attack). The killer, I hatched 11 flawless Sandshrew in the process of hunting her and she is missing one of the most important IVs (if anyone wants a flawless adamant Sandshrew, let me know).

I am now MM hunting Alolan Geodude. I have hatched five 6 IV already out of about 200 eggs. Gen VII really makes egg hunting very easy.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
My shiny Giratina hunt has progressed nicely this week. While I still haven't had any luck getting the shiny Giratina to appear at Turnback Cave, I've at least done several hundred more soft resets these past few days, which put me ahead of my quota. I did more S.O.S. encounters in Moon and chain fishing in Alpha Sapphire as well for my adjacent shiny hunts and I wanted to say goodluck to umbreonfan3636, TheMaster327 and Crimson Penguin on their current shiny hunts. :3

Cyberra

pain in the ***
The litten hunt has reached 5,000 soft resets. Have actually considered baiting my desk with a dish of cream to lure the white litten out of hiding. Think I'm going nuts. Or nuts-er.

Heeeeeeeeeeere kitty kitty kitty

Manakete-Girl

'Cause Dragon Types
After 432 eggs I finally got my Adamant Shiny Litten today.

Now I got to think of what to do next.

Samayouru

Rabid Dusclops Fan
Congrats to everyone on their shinies so far!

Decided to take a break from hunting yesterday to give my hands some time to recover and stuff. I'm also preparing my 5th gen games for a Cobalion hunt - which I'll probably extend into a Musketeer Trio hunt depending on how well things go. I also managed to get a CR1616 battery to replace the old one in my copy of Pokemon Ruby (I only got one because I wasn't sure if it would work or not). I intend to get more for my two copies of Sapphire so that they're fully functional too, because I'd like to do a starter hunt on those older games for a challenge.

The litten hunt has reached 5,000 soft resets. Have actually considered baiting my desk with a dish of cream to lure the white litten out of hiding. Think I'm going nuts. Or nuts-er.

FYI, spraying catnip works better on cats. I'm sure you'll get your Litten in no time if you do that.

Good luck to everyone hunting - especially Cyberra and Cpchris - I know exactly how you feel. I went through a similar struggle with Elekid - I kept getting Patrats more than anything else. I hope you get something different soon!

TheMaster327

10,880 demon owls and counting for me :( Hope we get our starters soon...

dan2point5

Wow been a long time since I last posted here (probably because I haven't shiny hunted in a couple of years!). Nice to see so many familiar faces still here.

Few weeks ago I played through my FireRed for a bit of fun and when I got to Mewtwo I had a real urge to SR for a shiny one. Well 9450 SR's later my green legendary still refuses to shine haha. Hopefully it won't be too much longer. A nice long hunt to get me back into the swing of things!

Good luck on your hunts guys.