• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Almost forgot- congrats to everyone who got shinies recently!

So I may have lost a little interest in dedicated shiny hunting recently, but... No matter what, the feeling of finding a random shiny is always a great one.

To elaborate- a few days ago, I decided to pick up SoulSilver again so that I could play the Kanto half as a Nuzlocke on its own. However, while I was grinding up some Pokemon for my new team, I managed to find a shiny Bellsprout! I caught her with one Ultra Ball. She's a Victreebel named Isabelle now. She's Hasty, somewhat stubborn. I never really appreciate how shiny Victreebel looked before, but now that I actually have one, I'd say it's one of my favourite shinies, what with its almost dried out look and that blue mouth.

Most surprisingly is that I'd already found a shiny in the exact same game, my shiny Fearow Osiris. I don't know how I struck lucky twice in one file, but I'm almost considering shiny hunting in SS once I'm done with the Nuzlocke as a result of this.

Last edited:

TheMaster327

Huh. I thought you'd be farther along... You've been hunting longer than me and probably get more SRs done since I only SR at night when I'm on the computer. But still, that is one stubborn leaf owl ><

6,600 SRs now.

Yeah, I have work though, so I'm same as you most of the time.

12,200 SRs now.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Once you start, it's really not that bad. There are some specific Pokémon that are just absolutely awful to SOS though, like Morelull (which is why i bred for mine)

Which new Pokemon(Gen 7 and Alola forms) do you think are the easiest to SOS chain?

Which new Pokemon(Gen 7 and Alola forms) do you think are the easiest to SOS chain?

Just depends on what level they are and what moves they know when you chain them. I don't know specifically which are easiest, but I know that some of the worst are Morelull (knows sleep powder and Moonlight) and Alolan Geodude (knows selfdestruct)

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Gwabatim on Mewtwo, Manakete-Girl on Rockruff, AquaRegisteel on Cutiefly, Earth Wolf-Howl on Bellsprout, and everyone else on your shinies!

Thanks for the congrats, JohnnyBlaze! :)

-------------

Meh…So my next hunt on Black 2 was for Staryu. It’s 30%. I’m also okay with Frillish, 65%, though it’s probably something I’ll end up with a lot of eventually (2 Stary, 3 Spheal, 2 Mantyke, all 30% against 65% Frillish), but at least the genders have different forms. And then there’s the 5% Basculin, which, aside from getting one just to have one in my collection, I didn’t want. And there are other hunts I’ll probably end up doing where Basculin is 70%, so I certainly didn’t need one here.

Well, let’s remember that I’m me, and I’m REALLY good at getting the rarest pokemon on the route that are the one thing I DON’T want. So naturally, last night I end up with not any of the 95% of pokemon I would want, but the 5% shiny Basculin that I didn’t want. Because me. Luckily it only took 3,780 REs.

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/eKWWAiF.jpg[/IMG200]

At least it’s new right now, but like I said, I’m bound to get a bunch of these through other hunts when it’s super common, so I absolutely didn’t need to find one when it’s super rare. And you know there’s not a single chance in hell that had I been targeting a 5% pokemon I would have gotten it 1st phase. I mean, I can’t get 20% pokemon first phase…Or fifth…Not going to count this as a phase though, since it’s new and I essentially want any shiny that I don’t already have, but…It may as well be -_-

I still haven’t figured out what I did to deserve finding so many unlikely, unwanted shinies. How I got so lucky to find 2 targets – Vulpix and Snubbull – in a row recently, I don’t know. Seems like it should have been not improbable, but impossible. Looking forward to reporting in with my next Basculin/Bibarel/Ditto/whatever other improbable shiny that I don’t need appears :)

Good luck, everyone (especially Cyberra, TheMaster327, Bumblebee5253, umbreonfan3636, ChaoticInverse, CharlieDoryRose, SheroGH, G-Money, Martinzqx, tui, markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, Pluski, ElectricBassClef, and Nakashima)!

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Just depends on what level they are and what moves they know when you chain them. I don't know specifically which are easiest, but I know that some of the worst are Morelull (knows sleep powder and Moonlight) and Alolan Geodude (knows selfdestruct)

By that I mean which Pokemon are most likely to SOS call

So
About a week ago I hatched a Shiny Morelull after 181 eggs
And it came way earlier than I thought so I still had a box full of extra eggs left
So I left them in the box and put them in Pelago once I got Isle Avue
While I was hunting Cleffa earlier (at 210 eggs now!), I hatched the eggs in Avus and one of them happened to be Shiny! So I got a second Shiny Morelull after 190 eggs! I guess he's Joelle the Shiny Shiinotic's new shiny brother!
ignoring the nearly 200 brothers and sisters that were released and forced to fend for themselves oops

Gwabatim

Just got myself a shiny Oddish in my Fire Red version! Took less than 2,000 encounters and I'm so happy because Oddish was my target. Here's the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7REPL0EGvj8 I'm now trying to start a Youtube channel with consistent shiny Pokemon content so if any of you want to help me out by subscribing that would be great. I will sub for sub!

Good luck on your hunts everyone, and congrats on all recent shinies!

RedJirachi

Veteran member

Echo Nacyl

Easiest SOS? Anything with a high call rate that does not possess moves that tamper with accuracy, evasion, or status afflictions.

3800 on my SS starter hunt. I know that's nothing yet but ergh. It just sucks because I keep seeing people talking about their HGSS starters that came in less than 1000.

Haven't got the slightest idea how many eggs I've hatched in Moon since the Combee swap. Best guess is 300-400. No dice there either.

Last edited:

maldoror

Congrats to all on your recent shinies and good luck in your ongoing hunts (especially those stubborn Gen VII starters!)!

After just over 1,000 eggs Dratini shined! He was hiding in the second to last box of eggs. I was dreading gathering another 5 boxes and reacted something akin to that old youtube video of the kid with the shiny Ponyta when the pink dragon appeared. He has 5 perfect IVs (missing HP, but has a "very good" there). He has been EV trained and is now an awesome Dragonite.

I am now starting to collect eggs for my next hunt, the one I put on hold when Sun and Moon came out: Vullaby.

Shinyoracle

Hey all!

Since I've last posted to the board I've been playing through Sun and ended up getting the shiny charm. Since then I've gotten a ton of shinies, about a box and a half's worth, most through SOS chaining, a few through random encounters, and I've been considering doing some MM'ing for the starters.

I also have a question: Anyone know if Type:Null's affected by the shiny charm? I've seen some people say it doesn't, and a few others say it does, so I just wanted to get some clarification. Almost at a hundred soft resets for it so far.

Good luck with all your hunts and congrats to everyone on their recent shinies!

Currently at 560 eggs for MM Shiny Cleffa. Certainly longer than my previous SuMo hunts, but it's certainly refreshing to have a nice, challenging hunt for once!

Hatched a shiny shellos (east sea) after ONLY 2 EGGS!!! Very surprised! :)
Insane! Congrats!

Hey all!

Since I've last posted to the board I've been playing through Sun and ended up getting the shiny charm. Since then I've gotten a ton of shinies, about a box and a half's worth, most through SOS chaining, a few through random encounters, and I've been considering doing some MM'ing for the starters.

I also have a question: Anyone know if Type:Null's affected by the shiny charm? I've seen some people say it doesn't, and a few others say it does, so I just wanted to get some clarification. Almost at a hundred soft resets for it so far.

Congrats on 30+ shinies! Dang!
As for Type: Null, they act like any other shiny, so they'll be affected by the charm too :3

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
Hey all!

i mean every game with the charm would effect not just the mm rate but as well as wild encounter rate it cuts it down more it mostly just comes down to luck there isn't a set for sure sr to get a shiny when soft resetting.

anyway good luck to all hunts which almost approaching to mming a shiny snivy hp fire contrary one :3 I breeding up a friend ball one with hp fire ^_^

congrats to all shinies that have gotten so far my most recent is dieno not sure if I posted it or not :p

Charoshi

Charmander is best
Hey guys, long time no post.

Much congrats to all those who have found shinies since I last posted about my Lillipup about a month ago.

Since then I have found exactly 18 shinies, including:

Mime Jr, Nosepass, Foongus, Bidoof, Oddish, Vanilite, Sandshrew (Regular,) Zigzagoon, Durant, Geodude (Regular,) Shuppet, Corsola, Wingull, Zangoose, Masquerain, Hoppip and Nidoran (M)

A few days ago I decided I wanted to start another Badge Quest, and I decided I'd make it slightly more challenging than last time and pick soul silver. I like SS because I can see the shiny before I pick the Pokemon.

On the 251st soft reset, I found this cool guy!

[Img139]https://s15.postimg.org/t3m75m1xn/IMG_1271.jpg[/Img139]
[Img139]https://s15.postimg.org/c4d8qcqq3/IMG_1272.jpg[/Img139]

The last time I did a BQ on SS I got Cyndaquil, so when I saw the different Totodile y heart stopped, and after only 251 soft resets too! Absolutely awful nature (Timid) but it's for an in game team so it matters slightly less.

Not sure who my next target will be, I'll probably bounce around a few different routes to find shiny number 2, but the fast start was very much appreciated!

Good luck to all those hunting!!

maldoror

Congrats to all on your recent shinies and good luck in your ongoing hunts (especially those stubborn Gen VII starters!)!

Well that didn't take long. Vullaby shined in the first batch of 150 eggs! She has 5 perfect IVs missing speed. She is already EV trained and waiting to be leveled up for battle. I am now working on MM hunting Shellos (the blue one).

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I did some random Friend Safari hunting on Sunday hoping for a shiny to show up, but I didn't have much luck with that sadly. I did some chain fishing at the shore in Cyllage city on X version after that as well as in Alpha Sapphire, but I didn't find any shinies using this method either. I spent most of last Saturday morning doing extra encounters looking for a shiny Mareanie on Moon version still. I hope I'll find one soon. :]

After 699 eggs, I got my Shiny Cleffa! Calm Nature, with Wish and Metronome egg moves! Named her Cherry, since her color palette is exactly the same as the cherry spray paint Kirby can get in Kirby and the Amazing Mirror ;173;

That's my 5th member of my Shiny Fairy Monotype Moon team :D Next target will be Mimikyu!