• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

AmethystLeslie

Just hatched a shiny Gible a little bit ago. Moon Ball, 5IV -SpAtk, Jolly with... Sand Veil.

Gonna evolve this into a Gabite, because shiny Gabite is pretty.

Vroomer

Finally got it after 6643 :)

Well done!

I am back to hatching Litwick eggs and an electric Friend Safari. Nothing today. But, two in one day was nice.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Well, after a bunch of zigzagoons and bellsprouts the past couple of weeks during my horde quest (for ekans and shroomish), I got a fresh shiny in the rain in Y: a shelmet. :) Now I have fresh motivation to go for shiny karrablast in White 2 (I love its field sprite there, looking like it woke up from a nap and is crabby) so I can trade it up and do a shiny trade evolution. I'll work on that at a later time, unless I get karrablast in the rain as well.

Laurelai

Type: Null Will. Not. Shine. I've been at it for weeks now, likely having made 2k soft resets. I know there are people that have waaaaaay passed that mark, but its frustrating none the less. I did manage to hatch a shiny Joltic in the mean time. I needed a pokemon with Compound Eyes so I could get a shed shell for battle. I ended up thinking Galvantula was pretty cute and bred up a 5 IV shiny ....with the wrong ability. 76 BP down, 24 to go lol.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
The Eon duo are not shiny locked in ORAS. I hunted latios as part of my AS badge quest, and I went after latias later. Got both of them. Hunting the one you interact with as part of the storyline is possible, just as tedious as SRing a starter in Sun/Moon

Paniola Ranch is being stubborn. 7,825 REs and counting.

As I said they're exceptions, but that's normally how it goes.

Flan

loves birbs.
Type: Null Will. Not. Shine. I've been at it for weeks now, likely having made 2k soft resets. I know there are people that have waaaaaay passed that mark, but its frustrating none the less. I did manage to hatch a shiny Joltic in the mean time. I needed a pokemon with Compound Eyes so I could get a shed shell for battle. I ended up thinking Galvantula was pretty cute and bred up a 5 IV shiny ....with the wrong ability. 76 BP down, 24 to go lol.

Keep going! I was so frustrated with my hunt, but Type: Null eventually shined after 3,200+ SRs with the Shiny Charm! The rubber band method made the process a lot easier for me, as did knowing the fact that statistically, I'd be likely to get it between 4,000-7,000 SRs, and the statistics of success only increase with more SRs. I think most people do end up going way over odds for this one, so have patience and strength and you'll get your Shiny!

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
Got a Shiny Ralts in XY via MM. Female, Timid with Trace, but unfortunately was x/31/31/31/31/31. Gonna train it tonight and see what the HP is, and I'm really hoping for something 20+. Also, got wonder traded an Adamant Shiny Rockruff on SM which I instantly thought was hacked, but the IVs are so random that I'm thinking it could be legit. OT is PineappleJam in case that is an infamous hacker or something,

Edit: Ralts is 26/31/31/31/31/31 so I'm very happy c:

Last edited:

StrongBad456

Beginning Trainer
I got very lucky and encountered a shiny Roselia in Lostlorn Forest last night! I had just gotten shiny Koffing on Monday so this came out of nowhere. Both were full odds. Now I have to decide if I want to keep hunting on another route or continue the story.

AmethystLeslie

Just hatched a shiny Gible a little bit ago. Moon Ball, 5IV -SpAtk, Jolly with... Sand Veil.

Gonna evolve this into a Gabite, because shiny Gabite is pretty.

New Record! 2 shinies within 2 days!

Male, Moon Ball, 5IV -SpDef, Rough Skin. Same moveset as the one before with Outrage, Iron Head, Iron Tail, Double Edge.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
... after 9,222 REs at Paniola Ranch, hunting the 50% mudbray, I instead get a stupid shiny lillipup >.< I did not want lillipup, slaggit

Male, hardy, good endurance, with PickUp.

I am not done with Paniola Ranch... I want my mudbray, dangit.

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
Currently just doing MM for a trophy shiny Lotad. Not bothered about nature/IV's, just always wanted one since I love the sprite. After that I will go for a Shiny Yanma because that has also been one of my long term shiny wants c:

Good luck everyone!

Krokodyl

Congratulations to everyone who has found shinies and good luck to everyone still hunting!

I completed my Type Quest this week! My goal was to catch 1 Gen 7 or Alola form shiny of each type, no repeats and no double counting for dual types, always catching the base form even if it is the evolution that met the criteria. Here is a summary of the shinies, in order of catching:

Toucannon (Normal, caught as Pikipek on Route 1)
Vikavolt (Electric, caught as Grubbin on Route 1)
Lurantis (Grass, caught as Fomantis on Route 5)
Araquanid (Bug, caught as Dewpider on Brooklet Hill)
A. Raichu (Psychic, caught as Pichu on Route 1)
Palossand (Ground, caught as Sandygast on Hano Beach)
Salazzle (Poison, caught as Salandit in Wela Volcano Park)
A. Muk (Dark, caught as A. Grimer on Route 1)
Lycanroc (Rock, caught as Rockruff on Ten Carat Hill)
Oricorio (Flying, caught in Melemele Meadow)
A. Marowak (Fire, caught as Cubone in Wela Volcano Park)
Comfey (Fairy, caught in Lush Jungle)
Pyukumuku (Water, caught on Route 7)
A. Ninetales (Ice, caught as A. Vulpix in Tapu Village)
Bewear (Fighting, caught as Stufful on Route 8)
Mimikyu (Ghost, caught in Thrifty Megamart)
Togedemaru (Steel, caught on Blush Mountain)
A. Exeggutor (Dragon, caught as Exeggcute on Exeggutor Island)

I also had a bunch of random shinies come along for the ride:

Pikipek (caught on Route 1)
Parasect (caught as Paras in Lush Jungle)
Talonflame (caught as Fletchling in Wela Volcano Park)
Mudsdale (caught as Mudsbray on Blush Mountain)
Toxapex (caught as Mareanie in Melemele Sea)
Starmie (caught as Staryu on Hano Beach)
Machoke (caught in Vast Poni Canyon)

I also just finished my finals for my Senior year of college, which is exciting. I'm coming back for my Master's next semester, so I'll probably use a lot of my free time this summer trying to catch up on some of my other shiny hunts.

Good luck to everyone!

AmethystLeslie

New Record! 2 shinies within 2 days!

Male, Moon Ball, 5IV -SpDef, Rough Skin. Same moveset as the one before with Outrage, Iron Head, Iron Tail, Double Edge.

3 for 3! One would think i was shiny hunting.

This one is female, Moon Ball, Rough Skin, 5IV -Speed.

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Congrats on all the recent shinies, especially TheMaster327 on that insanely lucky 11-encounter Togedemaru!

After a month and a half long drought (mostly due to my not hunting as much lately since I've been so busy with work), I finally have some good news to report! Today, after 10,520 SRs and 11 months of hunting, I finally got a shiny Chimchar in Platinum!

This was my longest ever starter hunt by miles, and the second-longest in terms of number of days between starting a hunt and finding the shiny. I was worried Chimchar would pull a Volcarona and continue to troll me for several thousand more encounters, but in the end my effort finally paid off. I named him Dexter, after the cantankerous monkey in Night at the Museum, and he has a Quiet nature. I've already evolved him into a Monferno and he's so pretty and vibrant - YouTube videos don't do it justice.

I'm so happy that I can finally play Platinum and go after some other longtime targets! I'll be hunting Buneary in Eterna Forest for BQ #2, although I'd be happy with pretty much anything else there (except Bidoof lol). As for my other projects, Giant Chasm is now my third-longest hunt at 12800 REs, Slowpoke Well is at 9200 REs, Route 3 is at 4600 REs, Wela Volcano Park is at 1500 REs, and Dragonspiral Tower is at 600 REs. Maybe Chimchar will give me the motivation and luck I need to finish my other over-odds hunts.

Good luck to all of you!

DJX

Shiny hunter
Finally! After 847 eggs , shiny litten! Took me by he'll of a surprise , hatching was a pain for me this gen and my first masuda took me longer than I thought!

http://imgur.com/a/8OVlD

However it has 5ivs best, but only a decent attack stat which is 1-15 , I I'm going to cap it though thank for for that.

Good luck guys and congrats on the recent ones, my next is either rockruff or dhelmise

needsalimegreenespeon

Shine, Eevee, shine!
Been forever since I've been on. Hatched a shiny Glameow in X two days ago. 435 eggs, Four egg moves, 5 IV, missing the SpAttack. Not bad. Took me an exact year, started 5/12/2016, hatched 5/12/17. I had to drop the hunt because I went completely homeless and had to live out of my car for a while.

Setting up my next hunt of Zorua, a reclaim because I lost my original when I had to sell everything 4 years ago.

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
Been forever since I've been on. Hatched a shiny Glameow in X two days ago. 435 eggs, Four egg moves, 5 IV, missing the SpAttack. Not bad. Took me an exact year, started 5/12/2016, hatched 5/12/17. I had to drop the hunt because I went completely homeless and had to live out of my car for a while.

Setting up my next hunt of Zorua, a reclaim because I lost my original when I had to sell everything 4 years ago.

Sorry to hear what you've been through, but I'm glad you're moving on now! Good luck with Zorua c:

I managed to get my Shiny Lotad today. Random nature and IV's, but I've always wanted one for a trophy shiny. Got it via MM with over 200 eggs. Relatively fast MM for me considering the majority of my hunts go to 1500+. Next on the list is a trophy shiny Yanma as I've always loved it's colour scheme. After that maybe a trophy shiny Relicanth, because the blue on it looks great!

Flan

loves birbs.
So I recently discovered how amazing all the Vivillon patterns are and just got into collecting them. I managed to complete the whole regular collection yesterday! I can't even imagine what it would be like to collect all the Shiny versions of them. Though since my native pattern is High Plains, I realized that a High Plains Shiny Vivillon in a Luxury Ball would look amazing. I haven't had a Shiny hunt in a while, so I think this is my new goal.

However, I've got finals for the next few days and sadly won't really be able to work on MMing my spicy, sparkly butterfly. I guess starting the hunt will also be a good way to kick off summer, especially as I head back to California from studying abroad in Buenos Aires!

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I did some extra Mareanie egg hatching this afternoon cuz I had been falling behind on that. I've essentially lost count of how many eggs I've hatched for this particular shiny hunt ha ha, but I keep wanting it to end soon since I have almost a dozen other Alola shinies that I'd like to search for. Any ways, I did some chain fishing as well these past few days and I also progressed a bit on my shiny Regigigas soft reset hunt. :]

Cyberra

pain in the ***
So I recently discovered how amazing all the Vivillon patterns are and just got into collecting them. I managed to complete the whole regular collection yesterday! I can't even imagine what it would be like to collect all the Shiny versions of them. Though since my native pattern is High Plains, I realized that a High Plains Shiny Vivillon in a Luxury Ball would look amazing. I haven't had a Shiny hunt in a while, so I think this is my new goal.

However, I've got finals for the next few days and sadly won't really be able to work on MMing my spicy, sparkly butterfly. I guess starting the hunt will also be a good way to kick off summer, especially as I head back to California from studying abroad in Buenos Aires!

:D Shiny vivillons are awesome. It's too bad you can only hatch your own native pattern, though, even if you use a vivi of a different pattern to breed... Some of the rarer ones would be so awesome to get shiny. My native pattern is Polar, and the white body looks amazing with the deep blue and white wings.

I'm up to 800 REs in Paniola Ranch phase 2. Not leaving until mudbray shines.