• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

MechanisticMoth

Eloquent Speaker
Congrats! Could you be any luckier? I still have yet to find a single shiny in gen 7. Granted, I don't spend much time playing these days. It's hard to find the time and I feel rude doing resets when I have company or I'm at someone's house, and that seems to be happening every weekend lately.

I believe you can get a shiny in Gen VII! I get the not playing as much and devoting time to doing a shiny hunt. Thinking about SOS-ing for my own Rockruff.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
A minty green Rowlet finally appeared! Must have something to do with MechanisticMoth's faith!

[IMG139]http://i.imgur.com/7g1RNl2l.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i.imgur.com/QPcuvz1l.jpg[/IMG139]

He's Calm Nature and likes to relax. Definitely not a great nature, but at least I can finally move on with the game and get started on my shiny trial quest. I named him Oliver after the Green Arrow, even though that connection has been beat to death. I was SR'ing a different starter every day in a cycle. It's a little unfortunate that my second play through Alola is with Rowlet again, but of the three starters, he's still my favorite and the one I wanted most as a shiny, so I'm glad he was the one that appeared.

Not sure who my next target will be just yet. I've got some time before I have to worry about it. Congrats on all the recent shinies and good luck with your hunts!

Last edited:

TheMaster327

Well then. Seems my luck is ongoing. 218 SRs ONLY for this.

[spoil][img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAOCDygXsAErvnt.jpg[/img139][img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAOF4tYVYAAnrh2.jpg[/img139][img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAOF6n-XgAAZm1L.jpg[/img139][img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAOF72PWsAAWcF3.jpg[/img139]

Yes, Lillie. A SHINY EXEGGUTOR. Battle plan went well, stuffed Decidueye full of X Defenses to prevent Wood Hammer doing that much recoil (helped that it used Egg Bomb twice in a row - free +6 lol), I sadly lost my only Heavy Ball In my attempts to catch it, but I snagged it in my last Premier Ball! It's Naughty nature, and proud of its power. Finally a decent nature for once![/spoil]

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Well then. Seems my luck is ongoing. 218 SRs ONLY for this.

[spoil]img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAOCDygXsAErvnt.jpg[/img139][img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAOF4tYVYAAnrh2.jpg[/img139][img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAOF6n-XgAAZm1L.jpg[/img139][img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAOF72PWsAAWcF3.jpg[/img139]

Yes, Lillie. A SHINY EXEGGUTOR. Battle plan went well, stuffed Decidueye full of X Defenses to prevent Wood Hammer doing that much recoil (helped that it used Egg Bomb twice in a row - free +6 lol), I sadly lost my only Heavy Ball In my attempts to catch it, but I snagged it in my last Premier Ball! It's Naughty nature, and proud of its power. Finally a decent nature for once![/spoil]

...You can soft reset exeggutor? Where?

I'm currently on Route 8, SRing wimpod. Let's see if my luck holds or if it's finally run out.

After hours of grinding at the flower place on the first island for oricorio (SpATK EVs), my salandit is now a gorgeous salazzle. Was half expecting a shiny to pop up while I was grinding, but none did.

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Where? When you first go to Exegguctor Island, the palm tree is actually an Exeggcutor. Took me by surprise

TheMaster327

So another case of super-early shine I can't tell you what I was going for. This took sixty four encounters!

[spoil][img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DATcr-aXcAAgjZw.jpg[/img139][img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DATgN33XgAIvQR8.jpg[/img139][img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DATgOorXUAAKLZg.jpg[/img139]

Shiny Pancham! Was going for Komala but anything from Route 11 was going to be new for me. Pancham is Lax with a Sturdy body. That's 2x sub-100 encounter hunts in the same STQ and 6/11 sub-750 encounter hunts for the whole STQ. Only Mount Lanakila hunt to go![/spoil]

AmethystLeslie

Game... can you just... stop giving me shinies? I mean, I'll take them, but give me a break.

Freshly hatched a shiny Absol. Ultra Ball, Jolly, Pressure, Male, Quick Attack/Sucker Punch/Play Rough/Megahorn, 5IV -Atk. This was the 2nd egg that hatch in this set.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Looks like my crazy luck may have run its course... I'm at 1,600 SRs for wimpod and nothing so far. At least the resets for this one are quick.

Vroomer

Got a shiny Sentret while breeding a HA for my good friend Scherzando :3

Bold and Frisk Premier ball.

Premier Ball - just like me. Oh yeah! Congrats!

And congrats to all.

I, unfortunately, am in a slump. Shiny and motivation to play - period. I blame Gen 7. I have some friend safaris up. I am really digging those. But, life, other interests, etc. have been getting in the way.

CONGRATS TO all who have captured a shiny recently. Respect, props, and tip-0f-the-hat. SALUT!

Cyberra

pain in the ***
And after 3,107 SRs, I have out-stubborned the cowardly water bug!

Wimpod is female, serious nature and capable of taking hits, with Wimp Out. I named her Skitter.

spoonyliger

vaporboi
My first shiny encounter was a Donphan in Pokemon Gold.

Unfortunately I thought it was a glitch so I fainted it.

V

Shiny Hunter
It has been only a few weeks short of a year since I last posted here. My Shiny Badge Quest is currently stuck. While I have successfully hunted and obtained a shiny Dratini from the Game Corner, I am still hunting for shiny Entei or Raikou, so I can't progress in the game at all since the next gym leader doesn't leave the Burned Tower until the Beasts do. My plan is to hunt until one of them shines, KO the other one, beat the gym, then catch the shiny one. Since I will KO the second one, it'll reset when I beat the Elite 4 and Lance. I don't think I will hunt it immediately after, but I might. It'll depend how I'm feeling. This hunt is very draining. I've watched nearly every YouTube video about this particular hunt to keep me going lol

I also decided that I will only hunt these two until the end of my summer vacation. A hunt lasting a year is a bit too long a hunt for me personally. I've given it my best and will continue to until either I get a shiny or time runs out, but after that, those two hunts will have to wait for another time.

-- UPDATE --

Still hunting Entei and Raikou with no luck, but I will persist!

However, in the new game, Magikarp Jump, there was a shiny Luvdisc among those from a Food Fever! I didn't realize this was possible! I wish they were catchable, but I just watched in awe as it swam by. Next time I will take a screenshot; I was too shocked to think about it the first time.

Last edited:

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
It's been a long time since I played through the beginning of Sun/Moon. When can you start SOS hunts? After the first trial? Starting with shiny Rowlet gets me through my first trial before I need to catch another shiny and I'm hoping I can SOS before the second trial. I'd like to avoid full odds RE'ing for a hunt or two if I can help it after how long the SR'ing took for Rowlet.

And after 3,107 SRs, I have out-stubborned the cowardly water bug!

Wimpod is female, serious nature and capable of taking hits, with Wimp Out. I named her Skitter.
Congrats

It has been only a few weeks short of a year since I last posted here. My Shiny Badge Quest is currently stuck. While I have successfully hunted and obtained a shiny Dratini from the Game Corner, I am still hunting for shiny Entei or Raikou, so I can't progress in the game at all since the next gym leader doesn't leave the Burned Tower until the Beasts do. My plan is to hunt until one of them shines, KO the other one, beat the gym, then catch the shiny one. Since I will KO the second one, it'll reset when I beat the Elite 4 and Lance. I don't think I will hunt it immediately after, but I might. It'll depend how I'm feeling. This hunt is very draining. I've watched nearly every YouTube video about this particular hunt to keep me going lol

I also decided that I will only hunt these two until the end of my summer vacation. A hunt lasting a year is a bit too long a hunt for me personally. I've given it my best and will continue to until either I get a shiny or time runs out, but after that, those two hunts will have to wait for another time.
I wish you luck!

Cyberra

pain in the ***
It's been a long time since I played through the beginning of Sun/Moon. When can you start SOS hunts? After the first trial? Starting with shiny Rowlet gets me through my first trial before I need to catch another shiny and I'm hoping I can SOS before the second trial. I'd like to avoid full odds RE'ing for a hunt or two if I can help it after how long the SR'ing took for Rowlet.

Congrats

I wish you luck!

Technically you can start SOSing right away, if you get a pokemon down to low health, but you can't buy adrenaline orbs for quite a while. I've heard having a pokemon with Intimidate in the lead has the same effect, though.

I've beaten the grand trial on the second island and am going through the endless cutscenes before moving on to the third. Then I'll figure out what I want to hunt next.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Congrats to everyone on their new shinies :)

I decided not to bother with hunting in Moon anymore. Hatching eggs is just too tedious in that game as there isn't anywhere efficient to hatch eggs that won't damage my joystick after too much use, so no more Salazzle hunt. Instead I decided that the next shiny I wanted to hunt for was Mienfoo. I already have one with a Rash nature in X from the Friend Safari but I wanted one with a good nature that I could possibly use for the Battle Tree, so I decided to go back to that same Safari in X and hunt for another one. After catching about 20 Synchronise Munna (using a Trace Gardevoir) trying to get an Adamant Synchroniser I began my hunt in a Safari with Mienfoo, Riolu and Pancham. I would have been happy with Pancham as well as I don't have one but as I already have 2 shiny Riolu and a shiny Lucario I didn't really want one of them.

I didn't bother keeping track of encounters but after about an hour or so out popped shiny Riolu no3. Caught him in the first Quick Ball I threw. Synch failed and he has a Relaxed nature and has Steadfast for his ability. Not bothered as it wasn't what I was after but it appeared a lot quicker than I thought and it's still a nice shiny to have. Also better that Synch failed on a shiny I already have than on the one I want.

I resumed hunting for Mienfoo today and after less than an hour one appeared. Caught it in the third Dive Ball IIRC. Synch worked this time and she's Adamant with Inner Focus. Her potential is above average and her IVs are pretty bad at 31/31/5/21/1/31 (according to the calculator on the main site) but at least she has max IVs in the 2 stats I wanted. I'm not sure if I want to level her to 100 for Hyper Training because Mienfoo has poor defences and I doubt it can take a hit anyway. I'll try running damage calcs to see if it's worth doing. Not going to evolve her regardless as I want Mienshao to be legitimately available in a Dream Ball before I hunt one of those. Hope GameFreak bring them back one day.

Not sure what I'll hunt for next but I'm quite enjoying Safari hunting. I might go back into that Safari and try for Pancham so I have everything.

Good luck to everyone in their hunts :)

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
What the heck?!

I'd gone back to Paniola Ranch to hatch some mareanie, wanting a shiny one (not bothering with natures and I don't have a Regenerator one to breed); I blundered into the grass by mistake and got a random shiny mudbray.

What.

The.

Heck.

Mudbray is male, modest nature, and thoroughly cunning, with Own Tempo. I think I'm going to send it into Wonder Trade, since I already bred out and evolved a shiny mudsdale.

maldoror

Congrats to all on your recent shinies and good luck in your ongoing hunts.

After taking a short break from hunting, I decided to try for a MM Trapinch. After getting the Adamant natured, 6 IV breeding parent (which took about an hour), a shiny Trapinch appeared on the 27th egg! This is up there with Litten and Phione as one of my shortest MM hunts.

I am now soft resetting for Type: Null. I am about 1,000 in after a day + of hunting. These resets go super quick, but I have not been counting.

Ampharos_Spark

Gen 6 = <3
Congrats to all of the awesome new shinies since my last post!

I would have posted this sooner but I had three ten hour long shifts this week and couldn't get to the library until now. First off, I got a second Popplio and I dunno if I posted about her already. If not, here's her video. She had the correct nature and much better IVs than last time. After that I hatched this beauty:

[IMG139]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/DarkSuicune/20170419_113528_zps85tdkcz7.jpg[/IMG139] I've named her Mimzy and already EV trained her and am now leveling her up. More pics: OT/ID, Summary, Sparkles, Video.

And now for the latest one. Last week on Friday I was randomly SRing in my 4th and 5th gen games and rotating through targets everyday. Well, I went outside to check my plants and when I went back inside and went up to my DS....

[IMG139]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/DarkSuicune/20170519_135158_zpsptvqyzwv.jpg[/IMG139] this golden balloon was staring back at me! I already have a shiny Drifblim from my White 2 but shiny Drifloon and Drifblim are such shinies how could I say no to getting a Drifloon right? She seemed to really want to join the sparkling menagerie as she was caught on the first Quick Ball. Her IVs are pretty decent too 26/15/3/17/22/25. Nothing like a good old gen 4 shiny. I should probably try some hunting my 3rd gen games too. More pictures: OT/ID, Summary, Sparkles, Video.

Good luck to everyone on all of your targets, especially those stubborn targets!

LilyValley

Useless Sceptile
So here I am... been enough months, hasn't it? I was idly hatching Dhelmise since, very slowly. This has drawn to a close as I hatched shiny Dhelmise at 481 eggs. Brave, and the best IVs (not perfect though) are Attack and HP, with the lowest being Speed. Going to train this one up (and Bruxish from February) and then I'll move on to Fomantis through Masuda Method.

There have been countless shinies since my last visit. I sure hope everyone is doing well, and congrats to everyone for their efforts!