• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

SheroGH

Congrats on all recent shinies!

I'm back with another shiny! This time in 3rd gen, on the Safari Zone. After 2228 REs, a shiny Rhyhorn appeard! I was so nervous because it could flee and it broke out like 3-4 times. But I caught it!!

[img139]http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr319/sheroo1992/shiny%20rhyhorn%20safari%20zone_zpsyjtvlye1.jpg[/img139]

This is my first time hunting on the Safari Zone and it was a success!
I will stay here to see what other Pokémon might shine!

Good luck on all your hunts!

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Congrats on all recent shinies!

I'm back with another shiny! This time in 3rd gen, on the Safari Zone. After 2228 REs, a shiny Rhyhorn appeard! I was so nervous because it could flee and it broke out like 3-4 times. But I caught it!!

[img139]http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr319/sheroo1992/shiny%20rhyhorn%20safari%20zone_zpsyjtvlye1.jpg[/img139]

This is my first time hunting on the Safari Zone and it was a success!
I will stay here to see what other Pokémon might shine!

Getting a shiny in the Safari or Marsh is one of the most satisfying experiences ever

That_Tj

I got a question that i hope some one on here can help me with. I was wonder trading and i got a shiny. Its a aipom and its at level 100. The thing that gets me that the aipom has a site connected to it. Tiny.cc/1mkl can any one tell me if this shiny is legit or if i should just release it?

Ok so after failing a good few shiny SOS hunts, I decided that I'd go for a different and more definite method. So I found a Ditto from another country on the GTS and traded it for my own, and I'm currently hunting for a Shiny Beast Ball Misdreavus. I've got the first batch of 150 eggs, and have hatched 4 and a half out of my 5 boxes so far with no luck, but I'm still going!

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
I got a question that i hope some one on here can help me with. I was wonder trading and i got a shiny. Its a aipom and its at level 100. The thing that gets me that the aipom has a site connected to it. Tiny.cc/1mkl can any one tell me if this shiny is legit or if i should just release it?

I am almost 100% sure it's hacked. Based on the posts on that site, the guy that runs it is not the one sending those shinies out, but a lot of them have been sent out.

Releasing it is completely up to you. You could save it for your collection, but I probably wouldn't risk trying to use it online.

Cyberra

pain in the ***

I have a shiny palkia that's a very obvious hack... It's HA and in a dream ball, and dream ball legendary pokemon can never be legitimately shiny (they're caught in Dream Radar and there are no shinies in that game). I keep it because it's shiny. But I'd never use it for any battling. My breeder dittos are most likely clones since both of them are 6IV Japanese and 6IV dittos are like Bigfoot... you hear a lot about them but finding one in the wild is rarer than finding an actual shiny at pre-gen 6 odds

Up to 900 SRs for Type: Null now

Zero1999

Welp, came back after some time, that Shiny Onix I started hunting in LeafGreen since August 2016 all the way to June 2017 didn't shine after 19,000 RE :(, I decided to put it on hold and move to Heracross using the Repel Trick in Pattern Bush.

Echo Nacyl

Virizion is just refusing to shine for me x.x

Did get a shiny Bonsly in a casual SOS hunt, though. Was honestly hoping for a Happiny, but I am not disappointed.

Baggie_Saiyan

Maaaaaaaaaaan hatching a Shiny A-Vulpix took way to look, kind of out me off shiny hunting for months now aha, finally got it after like 2000 eggs. Shiny A-Vulpix and Ninetales are just wayyy to gorgeous <3 was disappointed initially but seeing in-game man it is beat!

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Virizion is just refusing to shine for me x.x

Did get a shiny Bonsly in a casual SOS hunt, though. Was honestly hoping for a Happiny, but I am not disappointed.

If you have ORAS, I advise to hunt for Happiny there when the Mirage spot is open. DexNav seems a lot easier

maldoror

Congrats to all on your recent shinies and good luck in your ongoing hunts!

After approx. 140 eggs, Sandile shined! She is adamant with intimidate and 5 IVs (missing SpA); couldn't have asked for more. I have finished hatching the rest of the eggs I gathered and have set up for a Swinub hunt. Time to start collecting eggs!

Pic of Sandile: http://i.imgur.com/7zdZwJn.jpg

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Congrats on all of your shinies, guys! :)

No luck on my end. Still haven't hatched a shiny Magikarp. Dang thing is very stubborn. Not giving up though.

Shinyhunter1990

Shiny Hunter 4 life
I have a question about gen 1 and shinies. Is there a way to check Pokémon for shinyness in gen one or do you have to transfer them

Zero1999

I have a question about gen 1 and shinies. Is there a way to check Pokémon for shinyness in gen one or do you have to transfer them

From what I know, you have to use poketransfer first then check in pokebank if they are shiny, however once you send them through poketransfer they will not appear in your gen 1 game.

Currently 957 RE for Heracross, it seems its way more easier to do the repel trick with Heracross than Onix, just hope he doesn't take too long unlike Onix.

EDIT: Took a break from Heracross, currently at 1237, went to the GameCorner to get a shiny Clefairy and after 7 soft resets and seeing 355, got one ^^. Pictures coming soon.

Here is the image
resized_fc8e58a0-dbbb-4b9f-8bac-3d660ff64e78.jpg

She's Docile nature and female, this makes it the second shiny I got in a Gamecorner and the first in 2017.

Last edited:

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!

I'll cover GSC Shinyness, which where Shiny Pokémon first Appeared. The DV stats of each Pokémon is determine the shininess for Each Pokémon as long as they only matched each DV stat combinations. DVs, like Gen 3+'s IV's (and some times called Gen1+2's IVs), are set as soon as you see that Pokémon, and but can be worked out. It's possible to SR for a Shiny Mewtwo or Legendary Bird in Gen 1 as the Level is high enough to work out the DVs. Other Pokémon would need Gen 1 or 2 Calculators and you'd have to track the which Pokémon your Pokémon fought, as the Stat Exp works differently than the Gen 3+ EV.

Due to this fact that DV's also picked other things about Gen 2, the high M:F Pokémon won't be Female and Shiny, and only two Unown forms can ever be shiny.

TL;DR - Yes, Gen 1 Pokémon can be "shiny" but won't show it until you bring them to a Gen 2.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector

If you're asking about the Virtual Console games, there's a way to get shinies when you send them through Transporter, but it requires an IV calculator and you have to have specific IV's for it to be shiny. I prepared a hunt for the future for the legendary birds and Mewtwo in my VC Red/Blue.

http://www.serebii.net/bank/poketransporter.shtml the very bottom line tells you what IV's you need
http://nobleware.ca/dvcalculator this IV calculator is very useful.

On the IV Calc, set the pokemon you want to hunt, set the level it's currently at and any EV's it's gained (hopefully none) and hit calculate for a table of stat values for every IV.
Look for a pokemon whose stat values match the IVs Serebii lists on the transporter page. It's the same as Gen 3-5 full odds.

For example, if you want a shiny Mewtwo, it's caught at level 70 with no EV's. Entering Mewtwo at 70 with no EV's gives you a table of stats that he can be caught with. To get a shiny, it has to have

HP: any
Attack: 173
Defense: 133, 135, 139, 140, 145, 146, 150, or 152
Speed: 201
Special: 234

Last edited:

SheroGH

Congrats on all recents shinies!

I've been hunting on the Safari Zone all this week so far and after my shiny Rhyhorn, that same day, I got a shiny Abra on SS's Safari Zone! After 303 RE's and... it fled after the first ball.

[img139]http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr319/sheroo1992/shiny%20abra_zpsakzxsmja.jpg[/img139]

But I moved on and kept going for another shiny. Yesterday, after 781 RE's after the Abra, a shiny Geodude appeard! And of course... it fled too after the first ball.

[img139]http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr319/sheroo1992/20170628_214227_zpsoryhsyyv.jpg[/img139]

I was so pissed! But I had to keep going. And today, after 343 RE's, another shiny Geodude appeared! And this time... I caught it with the first ball!!!

[img139]http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr319/sheroo1992/shiny%20geodude_zpsfqnc6wv2.jpg[/img139]

I reclaimed it! It was about time that luck smiled at me!
Now I hope something would shine on my 3rd gen games!

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Well at least in the Safari Zone you can have more than one shot at the dreaded Abra shiny

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
On a road trip from MI to MD this morning. Decided to triple hunt while I'm shotgun; Wimpod SR in Moon, Wimpod MM in Sun, and starters SR in SoulSilver. Cyndaquil is the first one to shine this morning.

[IMG139]https://i.imgur.com/61dt5Qp.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]https://i.imgur.com/kqztptc.jpg[/IMG139]

Hope the images aren't too big, app for Imgur isn't as friendly as the website. Cyndaquil is Lax and somewhat stubborn. I didn't have a name in mind yet, so he's just Cyndaquil for now. Good luck on your hunts and congrats on recent accomplishments!