• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Pretty jelly at that, I still haven't gotten the HGSS shiny. Which would you say is the best looking Johto starter shiny?

Cyberra

pain in the ***
After 2,807 SRs, I join the Shiny Type: Null Club. I named it Valkyrie, it's synced Jolly, and takes plenty of siestas.

Most of my team is in Poke Pelago at Isle Evelup, so I'm going to go hatch stuff for a while until their play sessions end.

Baggie_Saiyan

Pretty jelly at that, I still haven't gotten the HGSS shiny. Which would you say is the best looking Johto starter shiny?

For me Totodile in Gen 2 colours. Other than that not really a fan of Gen 2 started shinnies.

Really wish with Gen 6 GF gave a majority of the Gen1-5 Mons different shinnies.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Shiny alolan vulpix after only 154 eggs. Female, timid, likes to thrash about, but she got Snow Cloak instead of Snow Warning. Oh well...

Congrats on everyone's new shinies! For those of you who took part in Safari Week, hopefully very few shinies were lost.

But anyhow. Recently, I managed to get my hands on a Speed Boost Venipede. So rather than just hatch a 5IV Venipede to replace to Scolipede I lost (forgot to put it into Pokemon Bank), I decided, 'Hey, why not MM for a shiny?' Despite never having the dedication to go through with hunts, I started the hunt, expecting to give up around 200 or so.

And on the 989th Egg, she hatched. A shiny Venipede with a Jolly Nature, Speed Boost, and perfect IVs in everything but Defence. In short- exactly what I had hopes to hatch (well, except the IVs, but I'd rather have imperfect Defence than Attack or Speed). Honestly, I think the ability to add Eggs to my party makes so much of a difference. I hated having to go to my PC to collect a new batch in X and Y. At least here, I'm continually making some progress.

I nicknamed her Scorpio after the Scolipede I lost. He wasn't shiny or anything, but... I liked that Scolipede, and I figured having a shiny version of him would be nice.

I don't think I'll hunt again immediately. I'd love to hatch a shiny Darumaka in the future, but at the moment, I want to prioritise going back to Y and OR so I can get a HA Exeggcute and give it Skill Swap and Trick so I can SOS Chain/EV Train Scorpio and whatever Pokemon might come after.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Holy crud shiny freaking alolan sandshrew in only 15 eggs! o.o I was not expecting that! Female, everstoned adamant and alert to sounds, with Snow Cloak (I couldn't get a HA one from the GTS)

Cutty

Forever now
Shiny Pyukumuku finally hatched after 484 eggs.^^

View attachment 16776

5IV -HP & in Love ball. No egg moves cuz its EMs aren't that important. Its HA also missed but not problemo. It's still usable.

Anyway, I always wanted Shiny yellow Arcanine so I'm gonna hunt for Shiny Glowlithe next.
I have 5IV normal one in Level ball w/ 4 EMs, so yeah.

Congrats & good luck w/ your current hunts everyone.

Which would you say is the best looking Johto starter shiny?

I'd say Chikorita. I like its autumn color.
But I got em all three shiny starters back then.

Winona

~*~The Sky Tamer~*~
Hello!
Silly question here, in Leaf green when using random encounters for shiny pokemon (say I went through 45 or so before needing to heal), can you leave the area to restore PP at a pokemon center and then go back and keep the encounters? So will it still be back with 45 RE, or do I need to restart? :c

Please let me know asap!

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Hello!
Silly question here, in Leaf green when using random encounters for shiny pokemon (say I went through 45 or so before needing to heal), can you leave the area to restore PP at a pokemon center and then go back and keep the encounters? So will it still be back with 45 RE, or do I need to restart? :c

Please let me know asap!

You'll be fine. Random encounters are just that... random. I've run off to heal while REing before. But why are you fighting the pokemon? You can encounter them and run away.

I'm currently MMing for the first of four shiny oricorio (yes, four). I want all four forms shiny, though the first two will be baile style and sensu style since they're my favorites (I'm not at all cracked about the pom-pom or pa'u styles). Currently at 135 eggs.

Edit: Shiny oricorio #1 (baile style) after 149 eggs. She's everstoned timid, 5IV, and likes to thrash about, with Dancer

Last edited:

Winona

~*~The Sky Tamer~*~
You'll be fine. Random encounters are just that... random. I've run off to heal while REing before. But why are you fighting the pokemon? You can encounter them and run away.

I'm currently MMing for the first of four shiny oricorio (yes, four). I want all four forms shiny, though the first two will be baile style and sensu style since they're my favorites (I'm not at all cracked about the pom-pom or pa'u styles). Currently at 135 eggs.

Edit: Shiny oricorio #1 (baile style) after149 eggs. She's everstoned timid, 5IV, and likes to thrash about, with Dancer

thanks a ton!

First of all- congrats to Cyberra for the Alolan Sandshrew and Oricorio, and to Cutty for the Pyukumuku! Hope your future endeavours go just as well.

So you know how I said I'd be EV training my new Venipede through SOS encounters? Well, that's had results already. A mere 14 encounters in, a shiny Lillipup appeared! I actually caught her rather easily on a Timer Ball and nicknamed her Holly (thanks to being rather spiky-looking and having a slight greenish tint). She's Naughty, with perfect EVs in Defense and HP. I can't see myself using her competitively, so I'm planning to transfer her to UM when it's released so I can have her on my team.

Needless to say, once I get a few more Decidueye trained up (so I don't have to worry about Take Down), I'll probably go back to training. I can't see myself lucking out like that again, but I'll edit it in if I somehow manage to find another before I'm finishe with Attack.

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
I am back already with more news.

After 1. catching that surprise RE shiny Medicham on my AS, 2. successfully SR'ing that shiny Type: Null on my Sun, and 3. successfully SR'ing that shiny Dialga on my AS, I now have a 4. for recently obtained shinies.
I have collected some more eggs for my multi-Pokémon MM hunt. I cut it down to the four Pokémon out of the eight I have been doing lately. A few minutes ago, one shined.
She is a shiny Gligar. I have not checked yet, but I really hope she has her HA. If not, I will most likely keep including Gligar in my MM hunts. -Checks ability- WOO, Immunity! I got that HA.
Time to check her IVs. Ok, four IV with 31 IVs in HP, Attack, Special Defense, and Speed. I shall train her and then bottle cap that Defense stat, which is currently listed as no good.
Of course, it is rather difficult to obtain a Razor Fang in Sun/Moon, but I may trade for it. Well, time to EV train this girl once I finish hatching all these eggs.
Forgot to say she is everstoned Adamant. All of them are, but still good.

Good luck to everyone else!

Last edited:

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Since the shiny Cyndaquil in SS, I continued my Moon SR and Sun MM for Wimpod. A red and white one finally hatched in Sun after 154 eggs. She's Adamant thanks to an Ever Stone, takes plenty of siestas, bred with 4 egg moves and in a Premier Ball. She ended up with perfect IVs in all but special attack. I couldn't ask for a better shiny! I am currently watching True Blood with two of my friends and Lafayette's mother was in the episode this egg hatched during, so I named her Ruby Jean.

[IMG139]https://i.imgur.com/H0qBuaY.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]https://i.imgur.com/dpLuJxF.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]https://i.imgur.com/mYWnqbH.jpg[/IMG139]

This was the first and only shiny I've found in Sun so far. Haven't decided on a next hunt yet. Good luck on your hunts!

Last edited:

Zero1999

Decided to switch Heracross for Pinsir in the gamecorner, had 9999 coins and the max amount of money (Five Island Trainers gives a lot of money) in case I wanted to hunt something again in the gamecorner. Currently 54 SR-1242 seen

I want to ask if my method for hunting Pinsir is fast or not. See when having max money and 9999 coins already, you can buy up to 23 Pinsir per reset, other people just go with 9999 coins and buy 3 per reset, so which method do you think its better?

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
So, once I hatched that shiny Gligar yesterday, I kept hatching the same group of eggs. A minute ago, another one shined.
He is an everstoned Adamant shiny Rowlet. I now have (or will have, once I train him) 2/3 of the shiny generation VII evolved starters.
He has four Egg Moves, even though I do not plan on using them myself. I only put them on these Rowlets to trade to other people. They are Confuse Ray, Haze, Baton Pass, and Defog.
His IVs are x/31/31/31/31/31. I will bottle cap that "pretty good" HP stat later.
I am so glad to have hatched more than one shiny from this group. This is why I do multiple Pokémon for longer MM groups. (This one was 480 eggs spread across four different Pokémon.)
Now I must decide whether to train the Gligar or Rowlet first. Probably the Rowlet, since I do not have a Razor Fang yet.

Good luck to the rest of you people!

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Decided to switch Heracross for Pinsir in the gamecorner, had 9999 coins and the max amount of money (Five Island Trainers gives a lot of money) in case I wanted to hunt something again in the gamecorner. Currently 54 SR-1242 seen

I want to ask if my method for hunting Pinsir is fast or not. See when having max money and 9999 coins already, you can buy up to 23 Pinsir per reset, other people just go with 9999 coins and buy 3 per reset, so which method do you think its better?

buying all those coins is slow and going to your PC to look at that many Pinsir takes time. I would keep 3 slots open on your party and just buy 3 Pinsir, check them, reset and repeat.

razor fire

If you're asking about the Virtual Console games, there's a way to get shinies when you send them through Transporter, but it requires an IV calculator and you have to have specific IV's for it to be shiny. I prepared a hunt for the future for the legendary birds and Mewtwo in my VC Red/Blue.

http://www.serebii.net/bank/poketransporter.shtml the very bottom line tells you what IV's you need
http://nobleware.ca/dvcalculator this IV calculator is very useful.

On the IV Calc, set the pokemon you want to hunt, set the level it's currently at and any EV's it's gained (hopefully none) and hit calculate for a table of stat values for every IV.
Look for a pokemon whose stat values match the IVs Serebii lists on the transporter page. It's the same as Gen 3-5 full odds.

For example, if you want a shiny Mewtwo, it's caught at level 70 with no EV's. Entering Mewtwo at 70 with no EV's gives you a table of stats that he can be caught with. To get a shiny, it has to have

HP: any
Attack: 173
Defense: 133, 135, 139, 140, 145, 146, 150, or 152
Speed: 201
Special: 234

You don't know what the stats of Zapdos, Articuno and Moltres need to be, by any chance?

I'm really considering doing this, after having seen lots of videos on youtube saying they got them shiny after only a few hundred SRs :D

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
You don't know what the stats of Zapdos, Articuno and Moltres need to be, by any chance?

I'm really considering doing this, after having seen lots of videos on youtube saying they got them shiny after only a few hundred SRs :D

Actually, I do. I planned these hunts out thoroughly, lol.

Articuno: Attack =100, Speed =100, Special =140, Defense =107/108/111/112/115/116/119/120

Zapdos: Attack =105, Speed =115, Special =140, Defense =92/93/96/97/100/101/104/105

Moltres: Attack =115, Speed =105, Special =140, Defense =97/98/101/102/105/106/109/110

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Congrats you guys on all of your shinies. :) Took a bit of a break on the Magikarp shiny hunt. But now I'm back at work breeding for one in Moon. Hoping that it shines sooner rather than later though. :p They're being very, very stubborn.

Zero1999

Finally after 67 SR and 1541 Pinsir seen, this beauty popped up
resized_eb4a18ad-2174-4078-9b07-2360188e0927.jpg

I'm really astonished, Shiny Pinsir has been one of my dream shinies and I finally got it after so long ^^. She's Sassy nature with decent IV and a flawless attack stat, needless to say i'm really excited, so I go EV train her.

As of what to hunt for next I have no idea, maybe go for Dratini since I have 3/5 shiny pokemon from Gamecorner, anyway good luck to everyone else.

Last edited: