• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

windwakemeup

Bee Prince
Hopefully me posting about this is okay, but I'm really proud of myself for finally getting the courage to figure out Egg RNG after using Matsuda for so long and I was able to get a Turtwig to shine for me out of the egg after 55 accepted eggs and 19 rejected! Because he's bred he has good stats (31 31 31 31 xx 31) and egg moves too. I named him Turt and he's so cute, I don't know if I'm even going to evolve him :U

RedJirachi

Veteran member
What's your favorite shiny who's main color is unchanged, but has a different tone. Like light blue to dark blue

maldoror

Congrats to all on your recent shinies and good luck in your ongoing hunts!

It has been a while since I have posted, but I have had some shiny luck. On 6/30 I hatched a shiny Swinub after approx 120 eggs (pic: http://i.imgur.com/bPtC7A6.jpg?1)

After 2 weeks of trying to hatch a shiny Lapras, I switched to going for a toxic boost Zangoose. It shined after approx 150 eggs (pic: http://i.imgur.com/v2nRZTy.jpg?1)

My daughter drew me a background for my laptop of the anchors of my competitive team; my shiny Toxapex and Garchomp (over electric terrain from Koko) (pic: http://i.imgur.com/X12Ziil.jpg?1). So I decided to breed a shiny Wooper for her since she loves axolotls. It shined yesterday after 175 eggs (pic: http://i.imgur.com/B0Sz4d0.jpg?1).

I am now going to breed for shiny Aerodactyl and then probably go back to Lapras, which was approaching 1700 eggs.

Kurloz Makara

Red Death
After many failed chains, I finally got the shiny I've always wanted: Shiny female Salandit!

Her name is Havok, and she's Lonely nature with perfect IVs in Attack, Defense, Special Attack, and Special Defense. Her HP IV is abysmal (no good), and her Speed IV is Very Good.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I was fixing to train my Ribombee for the next competition, and the first wild encounter I had today was a shiny Petillil.

It's Quiet, and has relatively good stats, but I already have one (as Lilligant). Does anybody want one? I can negotiate a trade.

Edit: I will probably transfer it to Pokemon Ultra Moon.

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
We got the event shiny Tapu Koko. How long do you think it'll be until we get the other shiny Tapus? Or a shiny Cosmog?

TheMaster327

We got the event shiny Tapu Koko. How long do you think it'll be until we get the other shiny Tapus? Or a shiny Cosmog?

They'll presumably have the shiny lock taken off them in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. There's not enough time to distribute all the shiny Tapus/UBs/Cosmog before USUM, so it seems the logical solution.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
They'll presumably have the shiny lock taken off them in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. There's not enough time to distribute all the shiny Tapus/UBs/Cosmog before USUM, so it seems the logical solution.

I'm not holding my breath on that XP

950 eggs and counting for jangmo-o. Stubborn git of a dragon...

Edit: O.O

I took a break from the MM to go catch a cubone for a future MM and then go catch the other two tapus, and while I was walking through some tall grass I ran into a COMPLETELY RANDOM SHINY RIBOMBEE!! Female, quirky nature, highly curious, with Honey Gather. She didn't want to go down easy, but I caught her, and I got her in a heal ball.

One less thing I have to breed for in the future...

Last edited:

maldoror

Congrats to all on your recent shinies and good luck in your ongoing hunts!

I did not expect to be back this soon! After 50 eggs Aerodactyl shined! (pic: http://i.imgur.com/Vr5QSf7.jpg?1) Those IVs could not be better for the Jolly nature. I need to finish EV training him and level him up and then I guess it's back to Lapras, or maybe something else...

Zero1999

We'll never get shiny legendaries in any future game due to "balance" and how legendaries should be unique already. www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB8EskmscKg around the 2:49 mark, Masuda talks about it, dissapointment.

Anyway, just got 2 shinies in my Moon version, the first one was a Kangaskhan while looking for a shiny Cubone, the second one was a shiny Salandit but....you can guess what gender is.

I'll take a break from SOS in Moon and go for Dratini on LG, probably go to complete the Gamecorner pokemon since Dratini and Porygon are the ones missing.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
We'll never get shiny legendaries in any future game due to "balance" and how legendaries should be unique already. www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB8EskmscKg around the 2:49 mark, Masuda talks about it, dissapointment.

Anyway, just got 2 shinies in my Moon version, the first one was a Kangaskhan while looking for a shiny Cubone, the second one was a shiny Salandit but....you can guess what gender is.

I'll take a break from SOS in Moon and go for Dratini on LG, probably go to complete the Gamecorner pokemon since Dratini and Porygon are the ones missing.

If they really think shiny legendaries devalue the regular legendaries, maybe they should stop devaluing the regular legendaries by 1) handing them to us on a silver platter and 2) stop giving the shiny legends out as events. The last few generations have made the title legendaries mandatory catches instead of making them a challenge to locate, weaken and catch. I was happy we were able to catch all the legends between the generation 6 games, but there was little to no challenge to find them, with maybe an exception for Cresselia since it could be a long time before its island showed up, but even streetpass and passersby helped shorten that. They could also stop increasing shiny odds. Don't just lock all of our shinies. And what is the point of locking shinies just to give them out over wifi, making them more common than if they could only be shiny hunted? I know Masuda said it was to give a particular event more meaning and attach a memory to the shiny legend, but that seems less memorable to me than a long shiny hunt after a challenging task of getting to a legendary in a difficult location like Rayquaza.

maldoror

Ok, this is getting king of ridiculous. I started a Chansey hunt today. I got the parent I wanted and gathered a box of 30 eggs.

10 eggs in, this hatched: http://i.imgur.com/ZSPKTtA.jpg?1

Shocked, I set out to hatch the remaining 20 eggs. I got this 7 eggs later: http://i.imgur.com/q7XJmIu.jpg?1

Two shiny Chansey in under 30 eggs. I don't even know how to react at this point. I feel like my game is repaying me for the fruitless 1700 egg Lapras hunt.

TikTok13

Oh, I have a title?
So, I decided that I would try and Masuda Method a Mawile, who I've recently become rather fond of. I took three days, but on egg 195, this hatched.
[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/k1Z8DuZ.jpg[/IMG200]
I haven't nicknamed it yet, but I'm contemplating either White or Rose.

Then, later today, I was attempting to get some PickUp Meowth for Destiny Knot hunting, when all of a sudden...
[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/kxKzjuN.jpg[/IMG200]
Only on the SECOND EGG! Technician unfortunately, but still, it's shiny, and I wasn't even trying. My next hunt will be Dewpider or Sableye, but I need the Destiny Knot first.

Congratulations to everyone else, and may the odds be ever in your favour.

SheroGH

Congrats on all recent shinies!

Today, after 3178 SRs, Shiny Groudon finally appeared! I was really surprised when he shined.

[img139]http://i.imgur.com/PUFThPx.jpg[/img139]

Synch worked! Now I can go for one of my most favorite shinies, Rayquaza!

Good luck on all your hunts!

M.P.

Retired
Congratulations to everybody who got new shinies.

I recently attempted SOS chaining four Pokemon: I succeeded with Spinarak and Crabrawler, but failed with Grimer and Mudbray. Chaining Grimer was really frustrating as they constantly poisoned my Pokemon.

TheMaster327

Congratulations to everybody who got new shinies.

I recently attempted SOS chaining four Pokemon: I succeeded with Spinarak and Crabrawler, but failed with Grimer and Mudbray. Chaining Grimer was really frustrating as they constantly poisoned my Pokemon.

A good way to chain Grimer without worrying about poison is by pre-paralysing your Pokémon first. Or using a Poison type of your own with a Ground move. Nidoking/queen with Earth Power is a good idea.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
A good way to chain Grimer without worrying about poison is by pre-paralysing your Pokémon first. Or using a Poison type of your own with a Ground move. Nidoking/queen with Earth Power is a good idea.

Another good idea is to bring Breloom with Toxic Heal. It has False Swipe as well, so it's the perfect Pokemon for SOS'ing Grimer. No need for healing. Just leppa berries!

Also I FINALLY got the Shiny Mudbray I was searching for. Took a week, but I got it! I was shocked when I got, no hunt in SUMO has ever taken this long for me.

M.P.

Retired
Another good idea is to bring Breloom with Toxic Heal. It has False Swipe as well, so it's the perfect Pokemon for SOS'ing Grimer. No need for healing. Just leppa berries!

Also I FINALLY got the Shiny Mudbray I was searching for. Took a week, but I got it! I was shocked when I got, no hunt in SUMO has ever taken this long for me.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try those next time I try chaining Grimer (or other Pokemon with Poisoning moves).

Zero1999

If they really think shiny legendaries devalue the regular legendaries, maybe they should stop devaluing the regular legendaries by 1) handing them to us on a silver platter and 2) stop giving the shiny legends out as events. The last few generations have made the title legendaries mandatory catches instead of making them a challenge to locate, weaken and catch. I was happy we were able to catch all the legends between the generation 6 games, but there was little to no challenge to find them, with maybe an exception for Cresselia since it could be a long time before its island showed up, but even streetpass and passersby helped shorten that. They could also stop increasing shiny odds. Don't just lock all of our shinies. And what is the point of locking shinies just to give them out over wifi, making them more common than if they could only be shiny hunted? I know Masuda said it was to give a particular event more meaning and attach a memory to the shiny legend, but that seems less memorable to me than a long shiny hunt after a challenging task of getting to a legendary in a difficult location like Rayquaza.

I can agree with all that, but thats not the only problem Masuda's answer has, see every person who buys a copy of the game can get the same legendary pokemon, we know the value of legendaries in the game but it's not something unique already as Masuda said,adding shiny forms to the legendary pokemon gives them something unique and makes them not have the same appearance as the legendaries other people get and let's be honest, not everyone would want to SR for a shiny legendary, in the end, no damage is done by quitting the shiny lock, Masuda's answer make no sense.