• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Note that the 3 catch rate is not 3%, that is 3 times out of 255. So it is in fact less than 3%. That's why stuff like Magikarp have catch rates of 255. This can still fail at full health as full health divides catch rate by 3. Status and ball modifiers can improve the catch rate though.

Still a stupid catch rate XP

Jangmo-o continues to be a pain at 2,160 eggs. Long hunts I don't mind, since I've had worse, but long hunts with something that takes an absurdly long time to hatch just ratchets up the frustration meter.

maldoror

Still a stupid catch rate XP

Jangmo-o continues to be a pain at 2,160 eggs. Long hunts I don't mind, since I've had worse, but long hunts with something that takes an absurdly long time to hatch just ratchets up the frustration meter.

That's why my 2,000+ egg Lapras hunt broke me. I gave up, which I have rarely done. I'll get back to it soon though, probably after Cubone shines.

EDIT: And Cubone shined!! After approx 240 eggs. She got Rock Head, so an ability capsule will be necessary, but she is still awesome. Pic: http://i.imgur.com/Rx0u8bN.jpg?1

I guess it's back to Lapras.

Last edited:

Zero1999

Guys, I have some pretty big news.
I took a break for SR for Eevee in LeafGreen, so I decided to go for a shiny that I haven't seen in Youtube or people going for it, so I went for a Farfetch'd since I haven't seen a 3rd Gen one(not the greatest pokemon though but I was curious).So I stock up 120 eggs in 4 boxes, in egg number 38 when it hatched I went to the PC to check to see if any of the ones I had in my party were shiny and indeed, the 38th one was ^^.Unfortunetly I couldn't take a photo because his colors were kinda hard to spot, he ended up being male with a Hardy nature,this marks my very first 1/8192 hatched shiny.Pics coming soon.

Grats on your shinies as well ^^.

EDIT:Here's the shiny Farfetch'd
http://village.photos/images/user/0...ized_d4f2b594-a3de-4527-88f6-6afda1132b8c.jpg

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I was wonder trading off some breejects earlier, and for one of the jangmo-o I traded off I got back... a shiny thundurus in Therian form.

Summary says it was caught in Hoenn, but I'm pretty sure it's a hack, though... It has 6 perfect IVs and a rash nature. While not impossible, I'm very aware the odds against that happening, which makes me very suspicious. I have no clue how to use an IV calculator so I can't tell for sure, but I'm 98% sure this thing is hacked.

Meanwhile, jangmo-o has reached 2,335 eggs and is slowly driving me mad. I had some eggs in Poke Pelago at the hotsprings, with a full load of berries, for more than 12 hours, but they were still nowhere near ready to hatch and had to be pulled out to be hatched the usual way. Fat lot of help pelago was for eggs...

Atome

Snowy Poochyena
20476193_1731188853577604_782448447645418679_n.jpg
A happy accidental hatch today, in under 50 eggs too! A cute little guy though, even if I was only breeding for IVs.

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
I was wonder trading off some breejects earlier, and for one of the jangmo-o I traded off I got back... a shiny thundurus in Therian form.

Summary says it was caught in Hoenn, but I'm pretty sure it's a hack, though... It has 6 perfect IVs and a rash nature. While not impossible, I'm very aware the odds against that happening, which makes me very suspicious. I have no clue how to use an IV calculator so I can't tell for sure, but I'm 98% sure this thing is hacked.

Meanwhile, jangmo-o has reached 2,335 eggs and is slowly driving me mad. I had some eggs in Poke Pelago at the hotsprings, with a full load of berries, for more than 12 hours, but they were still nowhere near ready to hatch and had to be pulled out to be hatched the usual way. Fat lot of help pelago was for eggs...

oh yeah normally dragon eggs take forever to hatch anyway however poke pelego hot springs no matter egg it takes forever to hatch the eggs best to just hatch them normally tbh

Sigh....I am about 1,000+ eggs in my hunt and no shiny mimikyu yet -_- I am seriously about to smack this mimikyu's fake crayon face smirk soon if it doesn't shine for sure...its being stubborn like horse alright but seems it got the same attitude with cyberra's Jangmo-o seriously feeling the 2,000+ eggs hatched coming soon unless a miracle happens. I am seriously missing out on all these downloads for stones and etc do to it being stubborn which I tend to keep my 3ds on until it hatches...

Last edited:

Echo Nacyl

I feel ya. I stopped counting Omanyte eggs awhile ago, because knowing how far over odds I was was driving me insane. Gotta be around 3k by now. Been so busy chasing legendary raids in Go that I haven't been working on shinies as much though.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Got a shiny Pidgey from Friend Safari which is disappointing. I was mostly going for Rufflet or Swanna.(Swanna to finish the Ducklett line and Rufflet bc it's cute) Good thing is that I can keep hunting here as I do not yet have a Shiny Pidgeotto or Pidgeot for my living dex.

Still working on my Stufful hunt. Hoping it won't be MUCH longer.

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Hunter of shiny on Charmander, TheMaster327 on Entei, Confusious on Totodile, SheroGH on Spearow, maldoror on Cubone, Zero1999 on Farfetch’d, Atome on Archen, and everyone else on your shinies!

-------------

I’m starting to watch my Black 2 game crawl back up in my list of longest hunts. Currently it’s sitting at 6th longest hunt for me. I’m certainly hoping for it to not set any records >_> That’s at 27,900 REs, Platinum is at 12,700 REs, and HeartGold is at 6,200 REs. If I could just figure out why my games hate me…

Good luck, everyone (especially Crimson Penguin,Terra Force, TheMaster327, Bumblebee5253, umbreonfan3636, CharlieDoryRose, SheroGH, G-Money, Martinzqx, tui, markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, Pluski, ElectricBassClef, and Nakashima)!

Shinyhunter1990

Shiny Hunter 4 life
IMG_0774.jpg too bad it's not female. Here is its ivs xx/xx/31/31/31/31. Good luck with all your shiny hunts

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I did some more Friend Safari hunting on X version these past few days cuz I was tempted to find a shiny this way, although I had zero luck in my quest. I did some fishing for shinies in X as well, but none on Alpha Sapphire this week cuz I realized that there are hardly any desirable water type shinies that I want to catch in that game hee hee. So for now, I'll take some time to do more soft resets for Regigigas.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Got my Shiny Stufful! I was so happy I got it. It was about as long as Mudbray, but I'm glad it finally shined.

Going for Pyukumuku now then I think I'm going for Bounsweet. :)

Good luck with your hunts everyone!

TheMaster327

Got my Shiny Stufful! I was so happy I got it. It was about as long as Mudbray, but I'm glad it finally shined.

Going for Pyukumuku now then I think I'm going for Bounsweet. :)

Good luck with your hunts everyone!

Tip for Pyuku SOS: Use something with Magic Guard (like a Sigilyph or Clefable) so you can OHKO Pyuku without worrying about Innards Out.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I've taken a break for a few weeks to finish Sun so I can finally start playing Moon (I wanted to finish the pokedex apart from the Lunala, Celesteela, and Phermosa), but I did an SOS chain the other day while levelling up pokemon. I did an SOS chain for sneasel, and ended up with a shiny one. :)

Cyberra

pain in the ***
3,000 eggs.

Three thousand eggs.

And this little pest is still stubbornly refusing to shine.

*headdesk*

Shinyhunter1990

Shiny Hunter 4 life
Got my shiny cubone after 297 mons IMG_0778.jpg

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Shinyhunter1990 on Salandit, and everyone else on your shinies!

-------------

Well, Platinum finally gave me something yesterday! Which means it holds off on all 3 of my games from being over odds simultaneously again (HeartGold was only ~1,500 REs away from making that happen). After 13,217 REs, on the 17th RE of the day, a shiny Larvitar appeared!

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/lzgNDoL.jpg[/IMG200]

Yes, finally another Platinum swarm target! For whatever reason, I’ve had such horrid luck on Platinum (contrary to HeartGold, where I’ve had pretty solid luck) with finding the actual swarm shiny despite them appearing at a minimum rate of 40% (depending on the swarm, I can get that bumped up to 50% or so). I found a Magnemite during a Skitty swarm, 2 Machop while hunting Phanpy, a Bidoof and Starly while hunting Zigzagoon, and a Gligar while hunting Larvitar (which at least was a new shiny, unlike all the others). So despite having found 7 shinies during swarms on Platinum, only one of them (Skitty) was a swarm Pokemon -_- But this makes 2/8!

It was so cool seeing it appear though! I definitely noticed the bright coloring immediately which was fantastic after nearly a month of no shinies. It has a little longer of a dancing animation, which meant I got to stare at it a bit longer before seeing the sparkles (is it me or does time drag in such a good way when a shiny appears on the screen during an encounter?). I at least got one picture with the sparkles, but it ended up catching on the 2nd ball despite being at full health with no status and a 45 catch rate (so around 6%, I guess). But better than a fail from too much messing around :x

This almost didn’t happen at all, too :eek: After working all day Thursday then going out to meet some friends for a bit for one of their birthdays, I didn’t end up hunting, and then didn’t check yesterday’s swarms late Thursday night. So I checked yesterday, got myself to the right locations on my games, and then was going to save and restart the games just to sort of start the hunting “fresh” from starting the game, but decided not to this time…Had I done that, who knows if I’d have found anything :\

Good luck, everyone (especially Crimson Penguin,Terra Force, TheMaster327, Bumblebee5253, umbreonfan3636, CharlieDoryRose, SheroGH, G-Money, Martinzqx, tui, markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, Pluski, ElectricBassClef, and Nakashima)!

Shinyhunter1990

Shiny Hunter 4 life
I was messing around when I decided to S.O.S. chain a meowth to a chain of 30 when on chain 25 a shiny one appeared. IMG_0784.jpg. Congrats on all recent shinies

Cyberra

pain in the ***
The egg count has reached 3,560. I swear, if I reach 4,000 before jangmo-o shines I'm going to start hatching magikarps until I find that damn shiny egg ><

Speaking of magikarps, I got one in a beast ball (who actually catches magikarp of all 'mons in a beast ball?) from wonder trade. After jangmo-o finally surrenders I'm going to breed out a better shiny gyarados. The one on my team was chain fished in Y and actually has horrible stats.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
While raising a wild Gloom in Pokemon Emerald, I came across a shiny Oddish as an early encounter.

It's Bashful, and it's Sp. Att IV isn't good at all. I'm leaning towards a Bellossom and I may transfer it to Ultra Moon.