• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Actually got one of my targets from Friend Safari! I got a Shiny Quilladin not long ago and it's a female too! Nicknamed her Pidge after the character in Voltron, because they're both paladins. :p

Going to keep hunting in this safari, I'm aiming to get Pansage, as I want to complete the Pans and Simis in my living dex soon.

Hi I'm trying to breed a shiny Numel in Pokemon Moon I just finished my Dex and got the Shiny Charm and Oval Charm I'm using the masuda method too so I'm pretty sure my chances are 1 in 400-500 eggs and I'm currently right around 150+.

My question is it possible to breed a shiny pokemon that's not in the alola poke dex ?

I just dont wanna be wasting my time I'm tryna train up for the online comp coming up at the end of august.

TikTok13

Oh, I have a title?
Hi I'm trying to breed a shiny Numel in Pokemon Moon I just finished my Dex and got the Shiny Charm and Oval Charm I'm using the masuda method too so I'm pretty sure my chances are 1 in 400-500 eggs and I'm currently right around 150+.

My question is it possible to breed a shiny pokemon that's not in the alola poke dex ?

I just dont wanna be wasting my time I'm tryna train up for the online comp coming up at the end of august.

Yep, it's perfectly possible! I recently hatched a shiny Mawile, in fact, which isn't a part of the Alola Dex.

Zero1999

Yesterday managed to get a Shiny Wimpod in less than 300 SR on my Moon version, my Adamant Synch failed and got a Relaxed one (not to bad actually),I always wondered why I never got to hunt this pokemon since its one of the coolest looking in Alola.

Right now,i'm hatching eggs in LeafGreen for a Shiny Cubone with Egg moves, right now i've hatched 60 Cubone (2 boxes), the bicycle in this game is somewhat slow, makes me wish I still had Emerald, just hope it doesn't take a very long time.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I did some extra chain fishing in Y version this morning and I'm also going to try and do more soft resets in Pearl for my shiny Regigigas hunt tonight. I've also recently begun my next Moon version shiny hunt, which involves hatching eggs via the Masuda method to get a shiny Popplio. I've hatched around three dozen eggs for that shiny hunt thus far hee hee. :3

Conquering Storm

Driver of the Aegis
So after several months of procrastinating, I'm finally back to trying to get a shiny Latios in Alpha Sapphire. I've been aiming for at least a solid hour of SRing per day, but no luck yet. All my shiny luck seems to be going elsewhere - yesterday I ran into a shiny Zubat in the Castelia Sewers on White 2, and earlier today I found a shiny Gumshoos in the Poni Wilds on Sun. (I named them Margolotta and Candyfloss, respectively.) Interestingly enough, I found both of them while working on the Pokédex.

Quick question - the Lati@s you can get on Southern Island with the Eon Ticket isn't shiny locked, is it?

Anyway, good luck on your shiny hunts, everyone!

Erron Black

The Outlaw
So after several months of procrastinating, I'm finally back to trying to get a shiny Latios in Alpha Sapphire. I've been aiming for at least a solid hour of SRing per day, but no luck yet. All my shiny luck seems to be going elsewhere - yesterday I ran into a shiny Zubat in the Castelia Sewers on White 2, and earlier today I found a shiny Gumshoos in the Poni Wilds on Sun. (I named them Margolotta and Candyfloss, respectively.) Interestingly enough, I found both of them while working on the Pokédex.

Quick question - the Lati@s you can get on Southern Island with the Eon Ticket isn't shiny locked, is it?

Anyway, good luck on your shiny hunts, everyone!

Nope the Lati@s are NOT shiny locked, and you can also make it a speedy hunt by doing runaways instead of Soft Resets. :)

EDIT: Just found a shiny Swadloon from friend safari, and since I have one already that makes it my shiny Leavanny for the living dex! Not sure what I'm going for next just yet, I might go for Braixen though.

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
3,600 jangmo-o eggs + 460 magikarp eggs (my impatience got the better of me and I switched over early) and still no shiny egg. At least with the 'karps it's going faster, so I'll be using the magikarp swap for anything with an absurdly long hatch time in the future.

Now if only something would shine...

Conquering Storm

Driver of the Aegis
Nope the Lati@s are NOT shiny locked, and you can also make it a speedy hunt by doing runaways instead of Soft Resets. :)

EDIT: Just found a shiny Swadloon from friend safari, and since I have one already that makes it my shiny Leavanny for the living dex! Not sure what I'm going for next just yet, I might go for Braixen though.

Thanks for the advice, and congratulations on your Swadloon!

EDIT: SUCCESS! *trumpets and confetti* I am now the proud trainer of Malachite the Shiny Latios! The Timid sync worked, and he has pretty good IVs. I'm very proud of myself - this was the first Legendary shiny hunt I've ever attempted.

Last edited:

SheroGH

Congrats on all recent shinies! (Especially Cpchris on Larvirtar. I hope someday I will get one!)

I was trying to find the tile where Feebas appears on my Ruby and while doing it, I got a shiny Magikarp!

[img139]http://i.imgur.com/h7l71JM.jpg[/img139]

I was really expecting to get a shiny before I find Feebas and it really happened!
After a couple hours finally found a Feebas so now I started to hunt for a shiny. Hope it shines soon.

Good luck on all your hunts!

AmethystLeslie

In 2 eggs, surprise shiny Mudbray appeared! Some cleanup breeding until she showed up.

Female, Luxury Ball, Adamant, Very Good/Decent/Decent/Decent/Fantastic/Very Good, hatched with the levelup moves Mud-Slap, Mud Sport, Rototiller, and Bulldoze.

The fact that it was Adamant was pretty cool, too. Well, i caught a Mudbray right before this that just so happened to be Adamant to pass down its levelup moves cuz i had a few Mudbray from WT caught in rare balls, so i bred the Luxury i caught with a Lure Mudbray, and then... that happened.

Atome

Snowy Poochyena
20170811_233416.jpg
Got her in under 40 calls, it seems, I wasn't counting but it was really early and she only has two perfect IVs. Oh well, Mild nature, I named her Mirana after the white queen in Alice in Wonderland.

maldoror

Congrats to all on your recent shinies and good luck in your ongoing hunts!

It is finally over!! After nearly 3,000 eggs and a month of hunting (with a few short breaks), Lapras has finally shined!! She is Modest with Freeze Dry as an egg move and has 5 perfect IVs (missing SpD). Pic: http://i.imgur.com/2jArlVI.jpg?1

Cyberra - Keep it up. These brutal hunts eventually pay off :).

Next up will be Tynamo.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I'm starting to wonder if someone put a shiny lock on my game. I've hatched 3,600 jangmo-o eggs + 970 magikarp eggs and still nothing. Really really hoping this thing won't turn into another roggenrola hunt (roggenrola is my current record for long MM's at 7,029 eggs, back in Black 2).

It doesn't help that every single magikarp looks golden for an instant as it hatches then fades back to orange XP Has anybody else noticed that?

Last edited:

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
I've taken a break from my Moon shiny quest to play some new games I got for my birthday. I started the game back up this morning and it was time to travel to Exeggutor Island to collect the flute. On a whim, I decided to save as close as I could get to Exeggutor and try a couple soft resets. I didn't intend to spend much time on this because I want to finish the story. It was well worth it!

Shiny Alolan Exeggutor after only 3 Soft Resets!

[img139]https://i.imgur.com/TaPAtdA.jpg[/img139]
[img139]https://i.imgur.com/G9ubxib.jpg[/img139]

I didn't want to give him a chance to use Wood Hammer and knock himself out, so I only did about 40 damage and nuzzled him for the paralysis. I caught him in an ultra ball. He's Hardy and Nods off a lot. I named him Long Neck for now since it was the only thing I could think of on such short notice. I technically have enough shinies to complete my trial quest now!

Good luck on your hunts!

ShakLax

Yesterday I got my Shuckle shiny with HA in about 150 eggs (and today the wonder trade gave me a shiny Shuckle sturdy). Now I'm working to get Hawlucha, I hatched about 150 eggs today.

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Auraninja on Oddish, Zero1999 on Wimpod, Conquering Storm on Zubat and Gumshoos and Latios, SheroGH on Magikarp, AmethystLeslie on Mudbray, maldoror on Lapras, Team Volt Grunt on Exeggutor, ShakLax on Shuckle, and everyone else on your shinies!

Thank you for the congrats, SheroGH ^ ^

-------------

Another swarm shiny into my collection! One that many probably consider a nuisance…After 9,510 REs on HeartGold, on the 610th RE of the day, a shiny Poochyena graced my screen!

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/m0mJPFU.jpg[/IMG200]

I normally work all day Sunday, but because of a schedule mixup and a slow night, I ended up just working 3 hours at night. And a little before 11pm, I found this sweet looking guy! I was a bit more apprehensive at night since Pooch is 40% and Rattata is 35%, which makes Rattata nearly as likely to shine. But luckily HeartGold continues to be kind to me with granting me my swarm targets! It’s been about a year since I started hunting swarms as they appeared and I’m pretty happy with how many I’ve found in that time!

Also, sadly, Black 2 has become my third longest hunt. 36,071 REs is my 2nd longest hunt (also on Black 2) and 46,803 REs is my longest, so it has a ways to go before climbing to the next rank…Hopefully it remains my third longest hunt! I think the most disheartening thing about it is knowing that after all these REs, I have a 65% chance to get a Frillish…Which wouldn’t be terrible, but at this point I’m ready to get my 2nd Staryu and leave Frillish for another time!

Black 2 is at 31,300 REs and Platinum is at 2,900 REs. And HeartGold is only at 100 REs since Poochyena.

Good luck, everyone (especially Cyberra, Crimson Penguin,Terra Force, TheMaster327, Bumblebee5253, umbreonfan3636, CharlieDoryRose, SheroGH, G-Money, Martinzqx, tui, markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, Pluski, ElectricBassClef, and Nakashima)!

Cyberra

pain in the ***
...They never fixed the swap trick, did they? Am I just having bad luck?

I have a 6IV Japanese ditto (most likely a clone but I do not care) holding the destiny knot and a generic English magikarp in the daycare. To date I have hatched 3,600 jangmo-o eggs + 1,515 magikarp eggs for a total of 5,015 eggs. And nothing is shining. Been at this for the better part of a month now.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
...They never fixed the swap trick, did they? Am I just having bad luck?

I have a 6IV Japanese ditto (most likely a clone but I do not care) holding the destiny knot and a generic English magikarp in the daycare. To date I have hatched 3,600 jangmo-o eggs + 1,515 magikarp eggs for a total of 5,015 eggs. And nothing is shining. Been at this for the better part of a month now.

I just decided to try the swap method for my first time this morning, as waiting for Drampa to call for help is very frustrating. I think you are just having bad luck so far. Are you 1,515 eggs in without saving your game? Or are you saving after every 30?

Last edited:

Giblie

Dragon Pokemon Fan
On Sun in the last few days, I have been trying to SOS battle chain some shinies. These shinies are going to be used for my Ultra Sun playthrough. :)

So far I chained a Shiny Rockruff, Pikipek, and a Slowpoke. Tried to get a shiny PomPom Oricorio that will replace Pikipek (it was originally caught for my sister), but so far no luck on that. The shiny Alolan Vulpix I got months earlier from Matsuda Method will be used as well.

Once I can chain 2 or 3 other Pokemon, I am going to use the Masuda Method for a shiny Litten that will be used as my starter.

I'd post pics, but it is harder for me to get them onto a computer.

I have several shinies across Y and Sun that I need to train, but I am lazy. All I ever do lately on my games is try and look for shinies or breed them. xD

Details:
Shiny Rockruff, Brave nature, Male, Vital Spirit
Shiny Pikipek, Hasty nature, Male, Keen Eye
Shiny Slowpoke, Lax nature, Female, Own Tempo

Last edited: