• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Hunter of shiny

shiny huntress
I got my shiny porygon in Platinum at 4402 sf'reset, watching the World Championship has brought me some luck; hope you all' find your target soon : )

Unova Yorker

City Girl
I'm just not built for this, 25 boxes filled and I spent the entire weekend doing this. I can't believe it can go up to 4000 eggs, you poor hunter. I put in too much work to quit now, but after this shiny I'm done. #Cranky

BlackRayquaza98

Gen 3 Enthusiast
Doesn't matter of Emerald's battery is dry or not. Emerald had broken RNG from the get-go. I think the usual advice is when you start the game, SR fifty times, and if you get a shiny starter or the Uncatchable Pooch then you have an early shiny frame and could SR the legends. If not... It may take a very, very long time. And you can't turn the game off until you get it because the RNG will start from the same place if you do and you'll lose a lot of work.

Would that same method work for pokemon ruby? i don't really want to SR my emerald since i've got battle frontier symbols along with a complete hoenn dex

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
Would that same method work for pokemon ruby? i don't really want to SR my emerald since i've got battle frontier symbols along with a complete hoenn dex

rnging was great for those games when the battery is dry however i think that method works well but i never shiny hunted on that game nor I rnged on it...I just saying what i heard from years ago...

also back to my mm hunt for mimikyu my game data is fine so hatching more eggs as we speak...I hope my egg count doesn't go that far like cyberra's jangmo-o however who knows >.>

Shinyhunter1990

Shiny Hunter 4 life
Decided to do a little side hunts today with 55-60 sneasle a pink one appeared. IMG_0837.jpg congratulations on the shiny porygon hunter of shiny and all recent shinies

Nockturne

Just got divebombed by Sunkissed the shiny Vullaby in my Pokemon Moon Nuzlocke which is only the second RE shiny I've ever got (in 18 years of playing) and the first one I've got one during a nuzlocke :D

Unova Yorker

City Girl
Congrats to all you beautiful dedicated people who got their Shinies recently!

I finally got my shiny Gastly after 1050 Eggs. Took me all weekend, and every time I tried to stop and play Kirby Planet Robobot, I couldn't enjoy it because all I can think is "One more egg! ONE MORE EGG!!" Last one I'm doing for a while.
http://imgur.com/KiePMIN

The issue is that I can't evolve it without the help of someone. That last 5 IV Haunter I tried to trade got stolen online and it wasn't even shiny. I'm very nervous about trusting someone again. But now that I've joined a forum, I know someone here can help me. I have lot's of Pokemon to give for helping me out, including Five 6 IV Timid Gastlys if anyone is interested. PM me, let me know, it would help me out a lot. Thanks in advance. <3

BlackRayquaza98

Gen 3 Enthusiast
I did a bit of research on the shiny RNG in gen 3, and i found that:

The RNG in Emerald is broken from the start, based on shiny frames
The RNG in Ruby/Sapphire works as normal
But a dead internal battery in R/S works the same as Emerald normally does.

Am I correct here? If I do the method with the starters in my dead battery copy of Ruby, and get an early shiny frame, would I be able to SR for rayquaza later on?

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
I did a bit of research on the shiny RNG in gen 3, and i found that:

The RNG in Emerald is broken from the start, based on shiny frames
The RNG in Ruby/Sapphire works as normal
But a dead internal battery in R/S works the same as Emerald normally does.

Am I correct here? If I do the method with the starters in my dead battery copy of Ruby, and get an early shiny frame, would I be able to SR for rayquaza later on?
yes and yes as far as I understand it. I tried SR'ing for a shiny starter in Emerald for a while, but got tired of starting the game over so much and trying to time my button mashing differently every time. I've considered picking back up, but I'll wait until I actually get a shiny in FireRed first.

BlackRayquaza98

Gen 3 Enthusiast
yes and yes as far as I understand it. I tried SR'ing for a shiny starter in Emerald for a while, but got tired of starting the game over so much and trying to time my button mashing differently every time. I've considered picking back up, but I'll wait until I actually get a shiny in FireRed first.

Awesome, i'll get started i guess lol

Will report back here if I see any results :)

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Awesome, i'll get started i guess lol

Will report back here if I see any results :)

Things to Remember:

-try and change up how fast you press A/Start at the menu and how long it takes you to select your pokemon. Don't just press A repeatedly as fast as you can each time you reset.
-start a new file every 50-100 SR's to change your shiny frame.
-if the Poochyena is shiny instead of your starter, that still means you have an early shiny frame. Don't start a new game, but feel free to continue SR'ing for a starter or go on with the story if the legendary pokemon are your real goal.

SheroGH

Congrats on all recents shinies!

I wanted to continue the story on my Platinum and decided to hunt for one last shiny on Eterna forest and this shined today after 2217 REs!

[img139]http://i.imgur.com/cpsbnaZ.jpg[/img139]

It's the one I wanted the most and I think she's perfect for a Loppuny! Female and Jolly nature! So I definitely going to use her on my playthrough.

Good luck with all your hunts!

Crimson_Blazer

lucky streak i guess. got my shiny hakamo-o through SOS this morning. TIMID lol with 31 ivs in all but attack which is a 0. special kommo-o incoming! a modest boldore and a timid hakamo-o are my last two shinies what are these natures lol
just encountered another random shiny. this time a psyduck! just runnin through places for items/berries and she popped up. sassy nature

again another random shiny! trying to find a grimer to SOS a shiny meowth appeared! modest again whyyyy

Last edited:

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Cyberra on Jangmo-o, Team Volt Grunt on Drampa, Requiem Aeternam on Salandit and Sableye, Hunter of shiny on Porygon, Nockturne on Vullaby, Crimson_Blazer on Boldore, SheroGH on Buneary, Crimson_Blazer on Psyduck and Meowth, and everyone else on your shinies!

-------------

Thank you, congrats on all those shinies you got. That's really insane! I was checking out your Shiny Card and saw nothing past 6th Gen. Am I missing something? Like the preferred methods for Shiny hunting happen during Gen 4 and 5, or is it just personal preference?

I just prefer 4th/5th gen! I like the sprites more and I also prefer the 1/8192 odds (despite how they frequently hate me). When 6th gen first came out, I hunted on it for a couple days but ended up just wanting to go back to 4th gen! I don’t even own 7th gen yet since it took me half a year to even play through X/Y and then I never even played ORAS despite buying both on launch…

And I have so many hunts on just the 3 games I play on that I don’t even plan on hunting on SoulSilver or White 2 anytime soon.

---

This Eevee hunt is definitely a pain x.X Luckily, I think as I’m accepting the fact that it’s going to be a slow hunt, it’s gradually getting slightly less frustrating…But I still get quite irked when I start getting to 5-7 encounters on my other games while still going for 1 Eevee encounter. Especially when after several minutes of fruitless back-and-forth in the grass, I end up running into an Audino -_- I’m REALLY hoping this is a quick hunt! [Lest my 3DS end up smashed against a wall :’3 ]

So far I actually haven’t felt super compelled to hunt Aerodactyl, though I did get 400 SRs done while watching The Defenders, since I wouldn’t have been able to pay as much attention to the show while trying to do Eevee encounters. I’ve gotten to 650 REs on Black 2 though. Platinum is at 6,200 REs and HeartGold is at 3,400 REs. Also I finished training Starmie up to Lv. 100 tonight!

Good luck, everyone (especially Crimson Penguin,Terra Force, Bumblebee5253, umbreonfan3636, CharlieDoryRose, SheroGH, G-Money, Martinzqx, tui, markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, Pluski, ElectricBassClef, and Nakashima)!

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Well my hunt for Rhydon in that safari came to a disappointing end with two shiny Nosepass. Oh well, at least I have that line completed for my living dex.

Going on to the next Safari I can go to without fear of a duplicate I don't need, this one has Dunsparce, Kecleon, and Chansey. Hoping for a shiny Kecleon, as it's one of my favorite normal types. Dunsparce would be nice too, but I'm hoping I don't get another Chansey.(I hate evolving via friendship!!!)

Realized my Alola living dex was not complete so I have to put Type: Null on hold and I'm going for Oshawott in Moon again. Hopefully I can get a Modest nature Oshawott to breed with soon!

Shinyhunter1990

Shiny Hunter 4 life
So I am mming for a female Salandit. Hopefully won't take more than 852 eggs lol. Good luck to all of you in your hunts

Cyberra

pain in the ***
So I am mming for a female Salandit. Hopefully won't take more than 852 eggs lol. Good luck to all of you in your hunts

You just jinxed yourself.

1,345 eggs into my shiny beast ball magikarp hunt and no gold fish yet. At least with magikarp the hunt goes quickly.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Type: Null continues to evade me in Moon, and so is Snivy when I dual hunt with my Black. It hasn't been a very long hunt yet, but I hope Null shines soon.

You just jinxed yourself.

1,345 eggs into my shiny beast ball magikarp hunt and no gold fish yet. At least with magikarp the hunt goes quickly.

Your MM's have been enormous lately! I hope you get it very soon!