• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Kung Fu Ferret

The Usurper
I... cannot believe what just happened! I started playing Gold on the 3DS, got my starter and was on my way to Professor Oak when I find this... A SHINY RATTATA!

View attachment 16900

Of course this was right at the start of the game so I had no way to catch it! I had no choice but run away! In my mind that means its still out there, waiting to be found again... I am speechless. I cannot believe what just happened. I mean, is it good luck? Bad? Does the universe hate me for showing a shiny that I could not get? What odder is at that exact moment I was just think about if I could use the Shiny Gyaradosto breed a shiny Dratini in this game...

Happened to me before in Platinum with a Starly. Was furious!

I Pink Elephant

Shiny Hunter

StrongBad456

Beginning Trainer
I'm currently SRing in Gold for a shiny Totodile and in Silver for a shiny Cyndaquil. Whichever one I get the shiny in first will be the one I focus on. I'm so happy to be doing this since I never had any shinies in Gen 2 back in the day, so if I can get one it'll make my day. I'm looking forward to seeing people post about getting shinies in Gen 2 now that it's on the 3DS.

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
I'm currently SRing in Gold for a shiny Totodile and in Silver for a shiny Cyndaquil. Whichever one I get the shiny in first will be the one I focus on. I'm so happy to be doing this since I never had any shinies in Gen 2 back in the day, so if I can get one it'll make my day. I'm looking forward to seeing people post about getting shinies in Gen 2 now that it's on the 3DS.

good luck! I am gunna be doing a shiny badge hunt on silver version which i ended up purchasing the game on the virtual console since all three of my gen 2 original games batteries are run dry...

ShinyMimic12

Master of Shinies
I've never felt happier in my Pokemon career.

After just 5 eggs, I hatched a Masuda Method Shiny Froakie. He's Impish and Strong Willed, with a moveset of Pound, Water Sport, and Growl. Now I know why so many people love doing it this way. Cheers!

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I've never felt happier in my Pokemon career.

After just 5 eggs, I hatched a Masuda Method Shiny Froakie. He's Impish and Strong Willed, with a moveset of Pound, Water Sport, and Growl. Now I know why so many people love doing it this way. Cheers!

It does have its downsides, as anyone who's gone over 3,000 eggs for a shiny knows XP I'm currently at 1,925 and counting for a fletchling.

On a random side note, I'm accumulating quite a collection of beast ball breeding material. I just got a HA magikarp and a riolu in beast balls from WT. Adding to my bagon, beldum, gible, munchlax, mimikyu, magnemite, togedemaru, and salandit. Beast ball and dive ball are tied as my favorites.

Edit: Doing some more wonder trading to shuffle the population of my plaza and someone sent me a shiny bruxish in a love ball. I was excited...

...until I saw that the OT was AuSLove.TV >< It's a hack. Maybe I can use it to breed a legit one, though...

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I... cannot believe what just happened! I started playing Gold on the 3DS, got my starter and was on my way to Professor Oak when I find this... A SHINY RATTATA!

Of course this was right at the start of the game so I had no way to catch it! I had no choice but run away! In my mind that means its still out there, waiting to be found again... I am speechless. I cannot believe what just happened. I mean, is it good luck? Bad? Does the universe hate me for showing a shiny that I could not get? Whats odder is at that exact moment I was just think about if I could use the Shiny Gyaradosto breed a shiny Dratini in this game...

Breeding in Gen II for a shiny is gonna be a nightmare

ShinyMimic12

Master of Shinies
Breeding in Gen II for a shiny is gonna be a nightmare

Isn't it really easy as long as you have a shiny? I think that in Gen II if you breed a shiny with a non shiny the chances of having one is 1/64.

Zero1999

How does the shiny breeding works on Gen 2? I want to try to use the Shiny Gyarados to breed with some pokemon of his egg group.

ShinyMimic12

Master of Shinies
How does the shiny breeding works on Gen 2? I want to try to use the Shiny Gyarados to breed with some pokemon of his egg group.

I believe Bulbapedia said that breeding a shiny and non shiny gives the egg a 1/64 chance, due to how stats are passed down and shininess in there was dependent on stats. The downside is that it makes certain shinies impossible (i.e. most Unknown, Pokemon with a 1/8 chance of being female), and makes female shinies have horrid attack.

ShinyMimic12

Master of Shinies
Welp, just got a hacked 6 IV Shiny Skorupi from wonder trade. Why even bother with giveaways if you can do it yourself?

HowlingSnail

Got my second ever shiny today, a Nidoran Female in the VC version of Gold! Funnily enough my first shiny was only 2 months ago, a Zigzagoon in Ruby. You wait 13 years for a shiny and suddenly you get 2 in 2 months.

Nockturne

Got my second ever shiny today, a Nidoran Female in the VC version of Gold! Funnily enough my first shiny was only 2 months ago, a Zigzagoon in Ruby. You wait 13 years for a shiny and suddenly you get 2 in 2 months.

I'm sort of in the same boat. I just this second got a shiny Ratatta in Sprout Tower in VC Silver which, after 18 years as a Pokemon trainer, is my fourth full odds random encounter shiny. All of which I encountered in the last year I'm pretty sure. In fact looking up my last post in this thread, the second one was Vullaby in Moon back in August and the third was a Graveler in Diamond only the other week. There must be something about 2017

I reeeeally hope that breeding shinies thing turns out to be true, lots of great looking shinies in the Field egg group. Might even get a full set of Eeveelutions out of the little guy. :D

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Isn't it really easy as long as you have a shiny? I think that in Gen II if you breed a shiny with a non shiny the chances of having one is 1/64.

...wait really? Hmm..would this be more or less time consuming than Masuda Methoding in Gen 7 with the shiny charm?

ShinyMimic12

Master of Shinies
...wait really? Hmm..would this be more or less time consuming than Masuda Methoding in Gen 7 with the shiny charm?

Haven't done it myself, but I believe much less. If you have to shinies breeding, it might even be 100% (don't quote me on that). On another note, I just traded a WT Dialga for a Shiny Gallade, and it's real!

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Shiny fletchling after 2,163 eggs.

Male, Jolly nature, alert to sounds, and he got the IV spread I wanted.

...But he got Big Pecks instead of Gale Wings.

*sigh* My rotten luck with hidden abilities continues...

Now to get my beast ball HA gible so I can use the magikarp swap method to hopefully get its HA shiny.

ShinyMimic12

Master of Shinies
Shiny fletchling after 2,163 eggs.

Male, Jolly nature, alert to sounds, and he got the IV spread I wanted.

...But he got Big Pecks instead of Gale Wings.

*sigh* My rotten luck with hidden abilities continues...

Now to get my beast ball HA gible so I can use the magikarp swap method to hopefully get its HA shiny.

Congrats, but what's the Magikarp swap method?

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Congrats, but what's the Magikarp swap method?

It's a new thing in Gen 7, and it is extremely helpful for hard-to-get shinies or those with absurdly long hatch times. Put a ditto holding a destiny knot in the daycare, and whatever you do, do not take it out. I usually have to do some breeding of the 'mon I actually want shiny to get the right nature and IVs, then I put an everstone on it and put it in my PC. Then grab a magikarp, since it has the shortest hatch time of any pokemon. Save your game in front of the counter in the daycare, then deposit the magikarp and collect 30 eggs. Remove the magikarp from the daycare to stop egg generation, and then hatch them. If there's a shiny in the batch, figure out exactly which egg it was, then soft reset and put in the 'mon you really want. Collect eggs until you get to the one that had the shiny magikarp, and hatch it. The way egg generation works in Sun and Moon, the shiny egg is pre-determined and won't change even if you switch out the pokemon you were breeding. If there is no shiny, save again, put the magikarp back in, and repeat.

I am going for a shiny gible. Once I get the breeder gible with the right ability, nature, and IV spread, I will hatch boxes of magikarp until one shines. When it does, I will soft reset, put in the gible, and collect eggs until I get the one that was shiny. And it will still be shiny even though the pokemon I bred was different.

Genderless pokemon and single-gender pokemon add their own wrinkles, but so far I'm sticking to 'mons that have 50/50 chances of being either gender.