• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Azulart

Shiny Hunter
Genderless pokemon and single-gender pokemon add their own wrinkles, but so far I'm sticking to 'mons that have 50/50 chances of being either gender.

In order to get shiny genderless mon you need to skip a frame.
Example; the 8th egg is a shiny so get 7 eggs from the daycare and put out the parent not holding the destiny knot (Magikarp in this case)
Save now and put the parent back, when the daycare girl says she found an egg decline it and accept the next offer, voila.. shiny beldum, magnemite etc..

This also works for 100% female pokemon like Vullaby which also need the extra frame.

Last edited:

Manakete-Girl

'Cause Dragon Types
Well I have given myself a hunt to do on my VC copy of Gold, trying to hatch a Shiny Mareep while hoping they kept the 1/64 odds after using the Ditto mimic glitch.

Nockturne

A gen 2 shiny will retain its shininess when transferred to Gen 7 right?

Like I assume its a locked in factor when the Pokemon is generated but because the way shininess is determined changed after Gen 3 I have a nugget of concern.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
A gen 2 shiny will retain its shininess when transferred to Gen 7 right?

Like I assume its a locked in factor when the Pokemon is generated but because the way shininess is determined changed after Gen 3 I have a nugget of concern.

Because any Gen1 Pokemon that would be shiny in Gen2 retain their shininess in Gen7 I'd imagine that Gen2 shinies will keep their shininess.

Last edited:

ChaoticInverse

<--31,000 incounting
Hey guys long time no see,

I haven't been hunting much lately. I got distracted by overwatch and breath of the Wild and took a long break from hunting after getting torchic.

Recently I decided to pick up some old hunts. I'm at 1000 srs for eevee in leaf green and I was random encountering for a shiny in petalburg woods but my internal battery just died so I guess that hunts been prematurely ended. When October hits I think I'm gonna start random encountering in different games for a bunch of ghost types and see what I get as an ode to Halloween.

Good luck everyone!

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Haven't done it myself, but I believe much less. If you have to shinies breeding, it might even be 100% (don't quote me on that). On another note, I just traded a WT Dialga for a Shiny Gallade, and it's real!

Using a Male Red Gyarados, I will have a 1/64 chance to breed shiny Goldeen, Chinchou, Qwilfish, Remoraid, Ekans, Horsea and Dratini.

What are the chances my Odd Egg will hatch into a male shiny Pokemon? I know shiny is 14% with it, but with the different Pokemon and gender ratios I want to know the precise chances

ShinyMimic12

Master of Shinies
Is it ridiculous for hatching in gen 2? No flame body or anything like that right?

Nope, nothing I know of that can speed it up but having a shiny already.

AmethystLeslie

Cyberra

pain in the ***
In order to get shiny genderless mon you need to skip a frame.
Example; the 8th egg is a shiny so get 7 eggs from the daycare and put out the parent not holding the destiny knot (Magikarp in this case)
Save now and put the parent back, when the daycare girl says she found an egg decline it and accept the next offer, voila.. shiny beldum, magnemite etc..

This also works for 100% female pokemon like Vullaby which also need the extra frame.

Definitely noted! I got a beast ball beldum from WT that I plan to breed shiny; this tip will help immensely.

I got my beast ball HA gible, jolly nature, and with the right IV spread, ready and waiting. Already on my third box of magikarp eggs.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
So, do Gold and Silver have increased shiny odds? I keep seeing tweets and posts about people getting shiny starters or early route shiny pokemon within a short time or after only a couple hundred or less soft resets.

And does anyone know whats up with "mirror ID's"?

ShinyMimic12

Master of Shinies
So, do Gold and Silver have increased shiny odds? I keep seeing tweets and posts about people getting shiny starters or early route shiny pokemon within a short time or after only a couple hundred or less soft resets.

And does anyone know whats up with "mirror ID's"?

Don't know about any mirrors, but I guess everyone's getting lucky since the shiny chance is the original odds, about 1/8192 or something.

Azulart

Shiny Hunter
Definitely noted! I got a beast ball beldum from WT that I plan to breed shiny; this tip will help immensely.

I got my beast ball HA gible, jolly nature, and with the right IV spread, ready and waiting. Already on my third box of magikarp eggs.

Glad I could help :) I experimented alot with this, since most youtubers do a poor job explaining the Genderless and 100% female mons
and I can garantuee this works. My shiny magnemite, beldum and boundsweet all agree haha.

My first shiny breed in G/S ! gotta love the 1/64 odds, this little beauty took me 32 eggs.
( I dindt had my camera when It hatched so here is a screenshot of its evolved form, the egg moves should prove it was a pichu first :)

[img139]https://s26.postimg.org/a1razuva1/20170925_160218.jpg[/img139]

Last edited:

Nockturne

What are the chances my Odd Egg will hatch into a male shiny Pokemon? I know shiny is 14% with it, but with the different Pokemon and gender ratios I want to know the precise chances

The odd egg is only in Crystal.

I doubt it, it'll just be because a lot of people are suddenly all playing the same game at the same time, and the more people who are playing the higher the chances that someone will find a shiny because its hundreds of thousands of random encounters happening in relativley quick succession. And most people who find a shiny post about it publicly, which gives the illusion they are more common than they.

I assume its pretty on par with how many people found shinies back in 2000/2001 when the games first launched. Except back then you only heard about it as a rumour on the playground that someone has a cousin, whose best friends sisters hairdresser said their next door neighbour met a kid on holiday who had a GREEN SUDOWOODO WITH RED HANDS!!

pokemon trainer mystery

So I thought I'd share all the information relating to shiny breeding on gold and silver particularly for those who don't want to or can't use the shiny ditto glitch it's in no way the easiest way but to the best of my knowledge it's correct it is a long read and if apologise in advance If this is not the idea place for this I'll include a shortened version at the bottom.

As many know shiny Pokemon offer the highest chance to produce shiny offspring in gen 2 this is due to the dv's (the original iv's) being used to match the criteria for a shiny Pokemon. These criteria being: 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14 or 15 for the attack dv and 10 for speed defence and special (note: gen 2 still uses one every for special defence and special attack despite desperate stats for gen 1 compatibility) hp is based on the above so isn't factored in.

Of these stats in breeding attack and speed are always random defence and special are passed from the parent to the opposite gender or either gendered egg if using a ditto (note: special when passed is either the dv of the Pokemon or that dv plus or minus 8 )or this means two things 1 you can't breed shiny Starters or eevee without a ditto with the correct defence and special dv due to the gender ratio being based on stats and not allowing female shinys and two without the correct ditto your shiny chance is more like 1/128 as if you have a shiny male only females have the increased chance.

The solution to this would obviously be a shiny ditto however if you can't use the ditto glitch or like me don't want to there's another option. Because the only thing that sets a shiny ditto apart from the normal ditto for shiny breeding in gen 2 is the dv's for special and defence being 10 just hunt for a ditto that has these. I recommend unknown dungeon in rby for this as the dittos are 55-60 and easy to dv check for the right stats.

sorry for the long ramble I know it's not the easiest thing to understand but in short shiny ditto needn't be the only way to get 1/64 odds you just need a ditto with 10dv's in special and defence for the best odds.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
The odd egg is only in Crystal.

Getting general 1/64 odds is going to take a lot of steps
* Red Gyarados has a 50% chance of being male(this shouldn't take long)
* To get a Field(the biggest egg group) Pokemon, I'm going to need a female member of the or Ekans line.
* Because both have a 50/50 chance of being male, that's a 1/128 chance of getting a shiny male Ekans per egg
* Now I have a tap on Field

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
well i did a bout 150 soft resets and no shiny cyndaquil yet so i will not progress the game until this shiny comes up...old shiny odds here we go XD I am guessing be over 1,000 srs before it shows up if i am lucky....I need revenge for my shiny mistake back in my original game XD

good luck to everyone that is hunting and congrats too all that got there shinies!

Nockturne

this means two things 1 you can't breed shiny Starters or eevee without a ditto with the correct defence and special dv

Just so I'm super clear, does this mean if I breed my shiny male Raticate with a female Eevee it'll never be shiny?

Or are you just talking about chain breeding with a Ditto and another Pokemon?

pokemon trainer mystery

Just so I'm super clear, does this mean if I breed my shiny male Raticate with a female Eevee it'll never be shiny?

Or are you just talking about chain breeding with a Ditto and another Pokemon?
Basically yeah, without a shiny ditto you can't breed a shiny eevee in gen 2 because if the raticate is a shiny male only the opposite gender eevee can be shiny due to dv inherentence and due to 1/7 gender ratio and gender being determined by dv's like shinyness it's impossible.