• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Is there any reason why GS Virtual Console shinies are trending besides it being a newly re-released game?

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Is there any reason why GS Virtual Console shinies are trending besides it being a newly re-released game?

New re-release and a lot of people playing it. Of course there are going to be a lot of shinies being found.

Congrats on that cyndaquil, TheMaster327 :D

Magikarp continues to be a stubborn little bugger. I'm about to hit 2,600 eggs for the finny pest

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Anyone already planning any hunts for USUM?

I'm taking that Friday off and my friends and I are going to play all weekend. I was originally planning on only getting US, but eventually decided to get both like I usually do, so I may SR for a Litten or Popplio in UM while I play through US.

Here's hoping for a short reset for starters this time! I want to save right in front of them!

I run a Damp quagsire for hunting things that explode... SE on rock-types and immune to voltorb/electrode's electric attacks. Also helpful for Alolan geodude. Golduck is another option, but it doesn't have that immunity to electric attacks.

2,100 magikarp eggs now.

I like Damp Parasect since it has access to False Swipe and Spore. It's not immune to electric, but it gets resistance.

Last edited:

Echo Nacyl

O_O Holy carp, I just got my shiny VC Ho-oh after only 1695 SRs! I was fully prepared for a ridiculously long hunt. What I was less prepared for was the capture (darn thing having Recover and Safeguard was annoying, and I ended up just Masterballing it). So happy though.

Last edited:

Shinyhunter1990

Shiny Hunter 4 life
Update on the female Salandit mm hunt. It is now a sos hunt. In other shiny news I just caught a male ladyba in sun version. CA08EACA-B31A-47DD-9512-F269DB072D1A.jpg

Manakete-Girl

'Cause Dragon Types
Well I was doing a relaxed larvaitar hunt for the last two weeks and on the 145 egg a female green and purple larvatar showed up. She's adamant but I didn't breed for ivs I bred for egg moves, Stealth rock, iron head and dragon dance so I'm happy.

TheMaster327

Well, that didn't take too long. After only 1,652 Headbutts I get my second member of my Gold BQ!

[spoil][img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMcs-ZwX4AASNhz.jpg[/img139][img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMcs__4XkAEnV0h.jpg[/img139]

Shiny green eggs (no ham)! Was going for Pineco, but I'll take the rarer eggs from here![/spoil]

Drummerdude

I started a SoulSilver Wedlocke a week ago or so just to kill time before US/UM come out. This morning before work I decided to level up my Wooper in the Dark Cave against Geodude's. During the random encounters I noticed the Zubat sliding across the screen was green. I immediately panicked and tossed a few Poke Balls to no avail. I cheated the Wedlocke and swapped to a Ledyba who spammed Supersonic until Zubat started hurting itself. One more Pokeball and the green bat was mine! It was probably lucky I was doing a Wedlocke because I would not have had so many Pokeballs otherwise.

GiantBreadbug

Super Nerd
I don't know if this is the place to ask, but I'll give it a shot.

I'm looking for at least a 4 IV (or more if you're very generous), non-US region Ditto for shiny breeding purposes. Nature doesn't matter in the slightest. I can, of course, give you a 4+ IV Ditto from my own region (US) in return if you're in need of one, but I'll have to go fetch a specific one according to what nature you'd like. I also have a handful of Pokemon with egg moves in Apricot Balls (Vulpix, Stufful, Minior, Cutiefly, Drampa, and some more) if those help sweeten the deal.

I'm ashamed to say that I've been rocking a straight wild Ditto for my shiny breeding, so the Pokemon I've hatched have had a bunch of shite IVs. I know getting a 4+ IV Ditto is relatively simple thanks to SOS, but I can't use one from my own region because MM. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help!

Speaking of hatching shinies with bad IVs: last night I struck [Magikarp] gold! I decided to use it for a Friend Ball Thunder/Ice Punch Stufful I had waiting. I had actually already got myself a shiny Bewear via SOS, but I needed myself one with those tasty punch moves. Now I'd like to get this Moon Ball Minior shiny I've been waiting for.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I don't know if this is the place to ask, but I'll give it a shot.

I'm looking for at least a 4 IV (or more if you're very generous), non-US region Ditto for shiny breeding purposes. Nature doesn't matter in the slightest. I can, of course, give you a 4+ IV Ditto from my own region (US) in return if you're in need of one, but I'll have to go fetch a specific one according to what nature you'd like. I also have a handful of Pokemon with egg moves in Apricot Balls (Vulpix, Stufful, Minior, Cutiefly, Drampa, and some more) if those help sweeten the deal.

I'm ashamed to say that I've been rocking a straight wild Ditto for my shiny breeding, so the Pokemon I've hatched have had a bunch of shite IVs. I know getting a 4+ IV Ditto is relatively simple thanks to SOS, but I can't use one from my own region because MM. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help!

Speaking of hatching shinies with bad IVs: last night I struck [Magikarp] gold! I decided to use it for a Friend Ball Thunder/Ice Punch Stufful I had waiting. I had actually already got myself a shiny Bewear via SOS, but I needed myself one with those tasty punch moves. Now I'd like to get this Moon Ball Minior shiny I've been waiting for.

There are trade threads in another section. Try posting there ^_^

I'm up to 3,010 eggs for magikarp. Stupid minnow just does not want to shine for me >.<

Tagi

Congrats to everyone's shinys since the last time I posted here which is probably about six months to a year. That would be a lot of names!

Currently SOS hunting a shiny mimikyu. I thought this was supposed to be a faster method? XD I have the shiny charm yet I've been at this three days and my battlebond Greninja has water shurikened his way from about level 50 to 78. Lol.

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator
Now that I got my shiny Rockruff, I’m debating on which shiny I want to go after now. I’m kind kf leaning towards Eevee because I really want a shiny Umbreon. Lets be honest, Umbreons shiny is ten times better than Espeon’s why game freak, why on earth would you make Espeon’s shiny green? Like why, why green? Ughh :/ but I also really like shiny sylveon as well.

Decisions, decisions.

Mutant Mesprit

Fairy Tale Boy
I'm making good progress on my Espurr hunt! I'm not sure if it'll show up sooner or later, but I don't wanna give up :D Congrats to everyone on their caught shinies, and good luck to those still hunting!

That being said, (sorry if this is a dumb question) those who Masuda hunt, how many boxes do the hatched eggs usually take up? I know it depends on the specific hunt, but is there any usual amount? Also, what do you do when the hatchlings end up taking up all the space- do you release them, WT them, or use something like Bank?

sorryimanewbie-

GiantBreadbug

Super Nerd
I'm making good progress on my Espurr hunt! I'm not sure if it'll show up sooner or later, but I don't wanna give up :D Congrats to everyone on their caught shinies, and good luck to those still hunting!

That being said, (sorry if this is a dumb question) those who Masuda hunt, how many boxes do the hatched eggs usually take up? I know it depends on the specific hunt, but is there any usual amount? Also, what do you do when the hatchlings end up taking up all the space- do you release them, WT them, or use something like Bank?

sorryimanewbie-

I actually usually release large batches of them as I go since releasing anything more than about 500 or so Pokemon at once is really dreadful. If I'm hatching something in a nice ball or with some nice egg moves, I'll set some aside for Wonder Trade.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Finally, after 3,261 magikarp eggs + 30 beldum eggs, I get my shiny!

Beldum is everstoned Jolly, 5IVs (31/31/31/31/xx/31), takes plenty of siestas, and has Clear Body. Once I get it trained and evolved, it'll be an awesome beast ball metagross.

Up next is alolan grimer, one I've been wanting to do for a while. I've gotten a couple in friend balls from WT that I'll be using to breed. First, though, two more boxes of scatterbug eggs to collect for TheMaster327.

Shinyhunter1990

Shiny Hunter 4 life
Well I leave the friend safari because of crappy luck and the first random Pokémon I run into is a shiny Weepinbell 002056EC-CA8C-45C6-AEFA-36B08764A821.jpg

maldoror

Congrats to all on your recent shinies and good luck in your ongoing hunts!

FINALLY!! After god knows how many eggs and one shiny Technician Minccino, I just hatched a shiny Skill Link Minccino!!

Pic: https://i.imgur.com/roigeAF.jpg?1

I don't know what my next hunt will be, but I love this one!

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Now that I got my shiny Rockruff, I’m debating on which shiny I want to go after now. I’m kind kf leaning towards Eevee because I really want a shiny Umbreon. Lets be honest, Umbreons shiny is ten times better than Espeon’s why game freak, why on earth would you make Espeon’s shiny green? Like why, why green? Ughh :/ but I also really like shiny sylveon as well.

Decisions, decisions.

Shiny hunting Eevee is fun because you can get a whole lot of them for all the evos