• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

I Pink Elephant

Shiny Hunter
@Shadowf

I would also give you the advice to take a pokemon with you that has the abillity flash fire, if you hunt for Blacephalon.
( Mind blow reduces his HP down with 50% ) It would be a shame if you find one and it kills himself thanks to mindblown. A great mon for this role would be flash fire Houndoom since it also resists Shadow ball. Good luck !

I think the ability Damp works well too.

Oh lordy loo, I found so many Shinies in the Wormhole yesterday. Abomasnow, a second Quagsire, and more recently a Yanmega, all female.

I'm gonna take a break from Wormhole hunting and filling out my Dex to Shiny Hunt Mimikyu. Hope that gray cloth shows up soon.

i2i

Big Bad Wolf
Recently I've being replaying my X and started shiny hunting again with some great new additions which includes in order: Pumpkaboo, Snubbull, Durant, Shelgon, and Lapras. I almost lost Lapras when it used Perish Song so she left me no choice but used a Master Ball.

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
I was practicing my Ultra Wormhole riding skills in Ultra Sun, and on my very last run of the night/morning (through a single-ring wormhole about 3,800 light years off), I figured, "hey, why not see what's here?"

It was a purple Audino.

I didn't save beforehand, so I rushed to throw a Quick Ball. I nicknamed the girl Saori to keep with the theme I have going. :D I'm so pleased, I generally don't have the patience to shiny hunt. What a great way to end my weekend!

Last edited:

Draknir

Fear the Deer
Okay, now when was the last time I posted?

December 31st, 2016

Huh. Guess it's been a while. Congrats to everyone who got shinies in the past almost year!

I'll admit, I have not hunted that much this year. However, I managed to get a Cubone via SOS, a Mimikyu via SOS, a random Carbink in Sun (With the Shiny Charm, though, and actually the same Sun Wedlocke I got the Pelipper in last year), Bagon, a random Tentacool and Gloom in a Heart Gold Nuzlocke, a Pawniard in only 64 eggs for use in Ultra Moon, a random Shiny Slowbro while trying to find a Slowking for my dex in Ultra Moon (I decided to do it legitimately rather than through Pokemon Bank this time), a Hippowdon, Altaria, Magcargo, Barbaracle, Medicham, Swanna, and Crustle via Wormholes while just grinding stuff up for the Dex, a Stakataka after only 158 encounters (Combination of SRs and REs), and just a few minutes ago I got a Shiny Nihilego after 432 SRs.

tl;dr: My Shiny haul this year so far is: Cubone, Mimikyu, Carbink, Bagon, Tentacool, Gloom, Pawniard, Slwobro, Hippowdon, Altaria, Magcargo, Barbaracle, Medicham, Swanna, Crustle, Stakataka, Nhilego.

syrrume

Shiny Hunter
Hi all, congrats on the recent Shinies and especially to Cyberra for that Litten. I am SR-ing for Rowlet in my one and only copy of Ultra Sun. Im currently at 1451 SR's.

I think I need a motivation boost! im not annoyed or even losing motivation but every video / post / chat I have come across, people get their Starters in under 1600 resets.

The trouble is two-fold. The cut scene takes 2 minutes and 5 seconds to complete for 1 soft reset and that's if your not so busy mashing the A button that you forget to walk north to the grass. This means that at most I can get around 27 resets an hour and ive already sunk over 48 hours into this little owl!

The second problem is that, as stated above, everyone seems to have theirs in way less than what im at currently AND im not even halfway towards full odds yet!

I know ill get it if I stay patient but its hard when after 10 days in (and this is the first shiny hunt I've properly tracked each encounter) Im starting to panic "what if I don't get it in under 4000?" "what if it takes more than 6000?"
Im seeing the encounters as about 100 per 4 hours and as I work fulltime, 100 resets is about as many as I can get on the weekdays. I can hit 1000 a week when you include weekends!

Has anyone else here had any uplifting stories about USUM shiny starters???

Good luck to all :)

Manakete-Girl

'Cause Dragon Types
Sigh... Been training up my shiny Latias now named Cigyun and some others and over the day I have encounted 2 shiny chansey and a shiny Blissey....

I expect I'll have 10+ of that evo line soon enough.

Shinyhunter1990

Shiny Hunter 4 life
today i found and caught 3 shinnies (drapion, swanna, and crustle)

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
Practicing in my Ultra Moon version this time and after several hours of Wormhole jumping---

Another shiny Audino, this time a male! That's two in under 24 hours!

I'm stunned...

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I hear rumblings that the shiny odds for Ultra Wormhole encounters are completely broken. They obviously can't be that broken because I've spent about 2 hours exploring wormholes so far and I haven't found any shinies.

But I did hatch a shiny female Fennekin a few days ago.

Azulart

Shiny Hunter
I hear rumblings that the shiny odds for Ultra Wormhole encounters are completely broken. They obviously can't be that broken because I've spent about 2 hours exploring wormholes so far and I haven't found any shinies.

But I did hatch a shiny female Fennekin a few days ago.

They are pretty broken, perhaps you dindt travel far enough or just not lucky enough that time really.
At 3000+ LY your shiny odds are very high.

I'm currently at 239 SR's for pheromosa, hope I see that black dress soon !
Good luck everyone !

Erron Black

The Outlaw
@Shadowf

I would also give you the advice to take a pokemon with you that has the abillity flash fire, if you hunt for Blacephalon.
( Mind blow reduces his HP down with 50% ) It would be a shame if you find one and it kills himself thanks to mindblown. A great mon for this role would be flash fire Houndoom since it also resists Shadow ball. Good luck !

I've heard that Flash Fire only absorbs the damage done to you and Mind Blown will still damage Blacephalon.

Damp is apparently the best ability to use against it as Mind Blown is considered an Explosion/Self-Destruct move.

Also, yesterday I started doing SRs for Stakataka and got it in under 100 SRs! It's a Relaxed nature which is great, and I nicknamed it Alcatraz.

Gonna do some more wormhole hunts and maybe SOS Tropius next.

Good luck to everyone on your hunts!

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I was doing some REing just outside the entrance to Iki Town, hoping for buneary. After 1,399 REs...

...I got a caterpie. Lonely nature, quick to flee, male, Shield Dust.

Moving on with the story a bit, at least until I get to the trainer school. I'm going to RE there for zorua and magnemite.

StrongBad456

Beginning Trainer
I finally managed to get a shiny Nihilego the other day and I also got a shiny level 100 Naganadel on the GTS! I think someone was doing a giveaway of them. It's pretty cool but I still prefer Poipole. Good Luck everyone and congratulations on recent shinies.

Samayouru

Rabid Dusclops Fan
Finally decided to try and complete my Route 114 hunt and was watching some Markiplier when a little golden ball of fluff appeared! He's Sassy natured and appeared at 13224 REs. Ideally I would've liked Serviper/Zangoose but Swablu was one of my other targets too so I'm happy with what I got! :)

I wasn't recording sadly but hey at least all of the hunts I had on hold are now done so I can move on to some 7th gen hunts. I've decided I'm going to be doing a Nick quest, which is basically a badge/trial quest done across multiple systems rather than just one on a couple of Ultra Moon games. It's going to be interesting, methinks. I'm probably going to hunt for Rowlet next considering I love the way Rowlet looks.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I'm trying to level up my shiny Gloom to Level 47 so it learns all the moves I want it to for Sun Stone evolution. It is Level 35, and I have yet to leave Johto. This is Heart Gold btw. Where should I go to level up as quick as possible with this Pokemon?

Azulart

Shiny Hunter
I'm trying to level up my shiny Gloom to Level 47 so it learns all the moves I want it to for Sun Stone evolution. It is Level 35, and I have yet to leave Johto. This is Heart Gold btw. Where should I go to level up as quick as possible with this Pokemon?

MT silver with lucky egg (if your there already in the story, if not.. then just outside E4 area)
That was back in the day a huge problem with HG/SS. No good way of easy level grinding.. I'm also not very sure if you should ask
this kind of question in this thread either, I think you better of in the Help Threads with these kind of questions.

326 SR's on Pheromosa, no black dresses yet :(

Manakete-Girl

'Cause Dragon Types
Oh great it's Latias again.

Well I had started hunting Yveltal last night using a Modest sync... It shined but was impish so back to hunting it hopefully I don't have to go through what 'Cigyun' the Latias did to me.

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
Well, that was irritating.
After nearly one full week of SR'ing, probably over 25 Ultra Balls, and most of my team fainting during the battle, I now have a shiny Cobalion caught on my Ultra Sun version.
The battle was tiring due to it sweeping my team after getting max attack from repeated Swords Dance, along with it not wanting to go into an Ultra Ball. I was willing to use my Master Ball if I needed to, but I did end up catching it in an Ultra Ball.
...Adamant Synchronize failed yet again. It is Mild instead. Whatever, I am just glad that this hunt is over now.
It has an IV spread of x/31/31/x/x/31. Fine.

Good luck to everyone else!

EDIT: WOO. I found Guzzlord's Ultra Wormhole. Time to do some more SR"ing. I sure hope this hunt goes quicker than this last hunt.

Last edited:

Gwabatim

Yesterday I caught my dream shiny, a shiny Staryu in my Leaf Green! This is honestly one of my all time favourite shinies! It has Illuminate but I’m still ecstatic! Good luck on your hunts, everyone!
I’m having trouble uploading the picture, can anyone help me out?

Last edited: