• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
Well, I did it. I caught shinies of all Ultra Beasts that can be found on Ultra Sun version.
A few minutes ago, after about a day of SR'ing, I caught a shiny Xurkitree.
I sent out my level 77 Parasect once my Modest Synchronize Kadabra fainted. The Parasect survived a Discharge and then used Spore. I then caught the Xurkitree in a critical capture on the second Beast Ball.
I am off to check its stats now. WOO. Modest Synchronize worked. It has an IV spread of x/31/x/x/31/31. I may train this thing if I feel like it.

Now I plan on both getting some shinies that are exclusive to UM and hunting some more legendaries on my US. I am not sure what I will do next exactly, but I do plan on doing some more hunts soon.

Sulfurian

So happy to report that I've found 3 ultra beast shinies over the course of 3 weeks. Blace took about 500 resets with full odds, 1000 for xurk with shiny charm, and 150 resets for guzzlord, also with charm. Sync worked for everything except xurk, got a hasty nature on him.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I just passed 3,000 REs at the trainer school. Stubborn shinies are stubborn.

In Sun, I have 90 eggs hatched for the shiny smeargle I will be using to hunt legendaries and EBs once I get the thing, train it, level it, and send it to US. I also caught a HA paras with which to breed a better one, preferably with Damp, so I can hunt blacephalon without having to worry about it blowing itself up. I have a male dive ball rockruff, jolly nature and 5IVs, ready to breed with the Own Tempo rockruff in order to get Own Tempo onto a rockruff that isn't in a standard ball.

Manakete-Girl

'Cause Dragon Types
I was watching YT battle vids and found Magic bounce works to negate recoil for Mindblown.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Well I got lucky and Yveltal shined 3 times over 3 days and 3rd was Modest! Very pleased that this didn't go to be a Latias luck level. I can't post photos through my phone atm so might do it later.

Edit: Here: View attachment 16985

As MHWorld beta starts tomorrow I'll start a MM hunt for Own tempo Rockruff.

Shiny Yveltal reminds me of bacon for some reason

Ampharos_Spark

Gen 6 = <3
Hello, hello! long time no see! I haven't been on in a long time due to the local Library being under construction/renovation and my seasonal job getting crazy busy (~58 hours a week 2:15pm-12:15am most days) but I have gotten new shinies since then. I'm not ready to post them in detail yet though as I haven't been able to upload the videos. I have moved almost all of my shinies to Ultra Sun.

My current and future hunts are to SR for Poipole (currently up to 885 SR's in Ultra Sun), Yveltal in Ultra Moon (Current... sort of... mostly getting Smeargle ready), Xerneas in US, Rockruff via breeding in US for Midday Lycanroc, Rockruff via breeding in US for Dusk Lycanroc, Rockruff in UM for Midnight form, Xurkitree in US, Nihilego in US and Stakataka in UM. I'll probably go for the other Ultra beasts in the future and Alolan Vulpix is on hold. Seriously as soon as I saw that Xerneas and Yveltal were not shiny locked I was like "Alolan Vulpix hold my diet coke, BRB!!!" I'll also be hunting in my older games too, but the above hunts are my main hunts right now.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
What do you think is the fast time between a game's release and obtaining a shiny in said game? Though I suppose by sheer probability one of the first shinies is someone lucky enough to get a shiny starter by random chance

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
I just passed 3,000 REs at the trainer school. Stubborn shinies are stubborn.

In Sun, I have 90 eggs hatched for the shiny smeargle I will be using to hunt legendaries and EBs once I get the thing, train it, level it, and send it to US. I also caught a HA paras with which to breed a better one, preferably with Damp, so I can hunt blacephalon without having to worry about it blowing itself up. I have a male dive ball rockruff, jolly nature and 5IVs, ready to breed with the Own Tempo rockruff in order to get Own Tempo onto a rockruff that isn't in a standard ball.

Ikr? still sring this stubborn git ub beast which i am at 3,000 srs which yeah it not over the normal chances yet from not having the charm but my luck is being annoying atm which people without the charm are hitting it under 1,000 srs but not giving up i just hope this thing shines so before i go bonkers lmfao which i am using a freaking lv. 25 damp mon atm since I don't have anything higher atm for blacephalon

Last edited:

AmethystLeslie

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
Congratulations to everyone's recent shinies!
I suppose it has been enough posts since my last one, especially considering I have news.

I have been SR'ing for a shiny Cresselia on my US version for a few days now. It just shined now, and after a mid-length battle, I was able to catch it.
I used a Modest Synchronize Kadabra first, and once that fainted, I sent out my Parasect. It took some time, and a few uses of Spore (the Cresselia kept waking up), but I did catch it in an Ultra Ball.
OK, Modest Synchronize worked. Yay. It has an IV spread of 31/x/31/x/31/x. Fine I suppose.
I am not sure what I will end up hunting next, but it will most likely be another legendary from an Ultra Wormhole.

Good luck to everyone else!

EDIT: Well, that was really fast. I just encountered and caught a shiny Ho-oh in an Ultra Wormhole on my US version.
That took less than an hour of SR'ing to shine. Yay.
Modest Synchronize failed again, and I got a mild one. Again, I am fine with this.
It has an IV spread of x/x/31/x/31/31. I will take it.

EDIT 2: This shiny luck on my Ultra Sun version is amazing.
I just caught a shiny Latios after only a few hours of SR'ing this morning.
Modest Synchronize failed again (so repetitive typing this sort of thing now), and this thing is Mild, just like my Ho-oh. Oh well.
Its IV spread is x/x/x/31/31/31. Cool I suppose.
I plan on doing some more Ultra Wormhole hunting for shiny legendaries. I have been finding it actually quite entertaining and rewarding.

EDIT 3: Good news and bad news. I encountered yet another shiny legendary, but I had to use my Master Ball.
It was a shiny Azelf, but after probably over 30 Ultra Balls, three Max Revives, and only one Pokémon on my team left, I resorted to using my Master Ball. Oh well, I can get more through my other generation VII games.
And as expected, Modest Synchronize failed. It is Rash instead. Oh well. It has an IV spread of x/x/31/31/31/x. Whatever, I will take it.

Last edited:

Cutty

Forever now
Congrats on the new shinies guyz.

I've been hunting for Shiny Pennywise Blacephalon too. Currently at 700 REs.

Anywhoo, I come here for a shiny news. I finally got a shiny from the Wormhole. It's my second shiny after the Caterpie.

Shineh.jpg

Just too bad she's Adamant.
Good luck on your hunts all~

Cyberra

pain in the ***
4,000 REs and counting. Would be higher but I missed a night of REs... Two nights being up past midnight painting the kitchen caught up to me.

Annoying stubborn shinies...

Waves01

Shiny Hunter
Good to be back on here again last shiny i got was a shiny pichu and I'm currently hunting a few pkmn

RedJirachi

Veteran member
You absolutely can. I'm working on breeding a Beast Ball one, myself.

What kind of benefits does breeding certain Pokeballs on people have?

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
What kind of benefits does breeding certain Pokeballs on people have?

Outside of a luxury ball, none. It's for aesthetics.

Unless a luxury ball only boosts friendship at the time of capture? Then there is no benefit other than the ball looking nice.

Last edited:

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
Outside of a luxury ball, none. It's for aesthetics.

Unless a luxury ball only boosts friendship at the time of capture? Then there is no benefit other than the ball looking nice.
Balls modify capture rates under specific circumstances. The only reasons one might want a Pokemon in a certain ball is (1) indeed for aesthetics, or (2) the different animations that accompany them.

Back to the thread topic, I just received the Shiny Charm in both my US and UM games. Now I can start shiny hunting in proper!

Question: does the Shiny Charm modify the shiny rate on gift Pokemon like Poipole? I took a regular Rash one in my US version and I'd like to continuing trying for a shiny in UM.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
Ultra space has been my best friend lately. Snagged a shiny swellow, drapion and stunfisk in the past week :)

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Trainer school coughs up after 4,367 REs. But it's not the magnemite or zorua I wanted...

It's a meowth.

Bold nature, capable of taking hits, with PickUp.

I'll breed a magnemite later. Right now, though, I'm moving on.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Balls modify capture rates under specific circumstances.
Yes, but the question was about breeding, not catching.

I only made the comment about Luxury Balls because I didn't know if a Luxury Ball boosts friendship at the time the pokemon is caught, or if it's like having a Sooth Bell and it makes friendship rise more quickly. If it just added to friendship when a pokemon is caught, there would be entirely no reason to breed certain pokemon in a certain ball other than aesthetics. However:

Serebii said:
The Luxury Ball is a PokéBall that has no added Capture Rate. Instead, it helps increase the Pokémon that is within the Pokéball's happiness. For each 1 Happiness point it normally would earn, it instead earns 2, thus doubling all Happiness earned.

So the only reasons to breed for specific balls are for aesthetics or, in the case of a Luxury Ball, for increasing a pokemon's friendship faster.

The only reasons one might want a Pokemon in a certain ball is (1) indeed for aesthetics, or (2) the different animations that accompany them.
Wouldn't the animations still be considered aesthetics? choosing a ball based on it's animation is still part of enjoying and appreciating the art/beauty/taste of it.

Ultra space has been my best friend lately. Snagged a shiny swellow, drapion and stunfisk in the past week :)

Congrats! I've been spending most of my free time playing Skyrim instead of Pokemon, but I just started getting the hang of the Ultra Warp Ride yesterday. I'm looking forward to collecting some shiny Ultra Beasts! I'm saved in front of Buzzwole now.

Trainer school coughs up after 4,367 REs. But it's not the magnemite or zorua I wanted...

It's a meowth.

Bold nature, capable of taking hits, with PickUp.

I'll breed a magnemite later. Right now, though, I'm moving on.
Congrats! Sorry it wasn't the one you wanted this time.

Last edited: