• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

ArcanineRaichu77

Shiny Hunter,Bookworm and BVB fan~
Thought I'd post an update. No new shinies for me since I got Wild Eyes the Watchog. I'm only on 2800 RE's in Route 20 for the next shiny of my Black 2 Badge Quest, as I've been focusing a lot on Treecko. I changed my target from Torchic as I want to hunt it later on my Omega Ruby. Treecko is on 3941 SR's atm, and multiple files. No shiny geecko or pooch yet!

The main reason I'm posting is because I just started a new hunt that is very special to me. My last birthday marked my 10th anniversary of playing Pokemon, since I got Diamond for my 11th birthday. My first ever Pokemon was a Piplup. To celebrate this I want to hunt for my shiny dream team on Diamond: Empoleon, Staraptor, Luxray, Hippodown, Rapidash and Roserade. Of course, my first target is Piplup! I'm on 8 SR's as I've only just started, but I'm very excited to hunt this and am willing to SR for it as many times as it takes! Just please don't go to 23k like Chimchar xD. I'll most likely rotate between my three hunts depending on what I feel like hunting. Congrats to all the new editions, and good luck to all!

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
Update: Still no shiny Guzzlord or Nihilego. :( I want to leave Guzzlord's hole but I'm worried about how much time it'll take to find it again. I don't have a ton of time to devote to SR'ing because of work.

Why won't you shine already...?

Whatever. Got to think positive thoughts--like the 50% shiny odds I'll likely be getting with the Odd Egg in the Japanese version of VC Crystal. Here's to a shiny Pichu or Tyrogue (or Cleffa or Igglybuff)!

Current Hunts: Guzzlord (US-SR), Nihilego (UM-SR), Camerupt/Phanpy (X-FS/RE), Frogadier/Wartortle (Y-FS/RE)
On-Hold/Future Hunts: Honedge (US-MM), Vulpix (US-MM), Larvitar (US-SOS), Litwick (UM-MM), Chespin (UM-MM), Cutiefly (UM-SOS), Tyrouge/Pichu/Cleffa/Igglybuff (C-ODD)

Last edited:

Bus

I may be wrong, but I thought the UBs were shiny locked?

Also, I plan on doing some Shiny Hunting myself (I dont remember where I left off with Ultra Sun). Can somebody explain how these wormholes work when it comes to shiny hunting?

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I may be wrong, but I thought the UBs were shiny locked?

Also, I plan on doing some Shiny Hunting myself (I dont remember where I left off with Ultra Sun). Can somebody explain how these wormholes work when it comes to shiny hunting?

They're shiny locked in Sun and Moon, but not in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. As for the ultra wormholes, the legendaries and UBs have normal shiny rates just like any other pokémon, but the regular pokémon you find have increased shiny odds based on both distance travelled and the rarity of the portal. There are four rarity levels of portals, the common ones (no ring), ones with one ring, ones with two rings, and the rarest ones with wavy patterns between the two rings. The rarer the portal and the further you travelled before reaching the portal, the higher the shiny odds. I think it caps off beyond 4500 light-years, beyond there it won't increase any further. For the rarest portals beyond 4500 light-years you should have a 36% shiny rate, the highest you can reach here. On average you should be able to encounter about 3 shiny pokémon per hour after you've caught all the legendaries. As far as I know the shiny charm doesn't affect the shiny rates for the non-legendary, non-UB pokémon in Ultra Space.

TheMaster327

So this morning after 23 FEs (4,923 total) a pizza fish decided to come say hi!

[spoil][img139]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/201216722127028224/403513316607262720/20180118_113645.jpg[/img139][/spoil]

Bruxish is male, takes plenty of siestas and Jolly, which is a great nature for it!

Not sure where to hunt next, but I'm sure I'll find somewhere nice...

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Shiny eevee #2 after 5,112 REs. Another male, modest nature and mischievous, with Anticipation :D He's going to be a Pixilate sylveon.

Edit: Shiny minccino #3. Female, timid, mischievous, with Cute Charm. 5,995 REs.

Also, I was building a fleet of hot air balloons in one of my Minecraft worlds and I think I disturbed somebody...

[img139]https://i.imgur.com/U9fdP5t.jpg[/img139]

I didn't think you could make a sprite in Minecraft

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I didn't think you could make a sprite in Minecraft

I have pixel arts of shiny rayquaza, regigigas, shiny umbreon, and finneon in my Minecraft world. It's just a matter of finding the right colors and working out the shape. I've seen pictures of a pixel art someone did of the dragon from Dragonball and that thing is massive.

Anything's possible in Minecraft. You just have to have imagination and inspiration.

In other news, I'm still on the hunt for shiny eevees 3-9

Edit: Shiny eevee #3 after 6,509 REs. Sync worked again; he is timid and somewhat vain, with Anticipation. This one will be a glaceon :D

Edit #2: Shiny minccino #4. Female, timid, capable of taking hits, Technician. 7,026 REs.

Getting sick of minccino. Switching to another eevee safari. I'll take my chances with kecleon and the hated lillipup

Edit #3: >.< And there, right on bleeping cue, is the first shiny lillipup. Female, lax, likes to thrash about, PickUp. 7,064 REs

Last edited:

Paraqua

Beginning Trainer
Congrats to all recent shinies =D

After nearly two months, including a few soft resets today, Poipole finally decided to shine

Nickname: Eggnog
Nature: Timid
Perfect IV's in ATK, DEF, Speed and Sp. ATK

Good luck to all future shinies

Last edited:

Arcamenel

Shiny Hunter
So I've decided to do RE's for Litwick in Lost Hotel. I have a fainted level 38 cute charmer in the lead since out of the 4 possible level 38 Pokemon only Litwick and Klefki have genders. I also have a super repel active. However so far I've ran into more Electrode and Magnetons despite being genderless. Am I just unlucky?

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
I'm excited for that Shiny Zygarde! I just wish we could change it to the dog form and retain shinyness so I could have both forms for my collection.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
So I've decided to do RE's for Litwick in Lost Hotel. I have a fainted level 38 cute charmer in the lead since out of the 4 possible level 38 Pokemon only Litwick and Klefki have genders. I also have a super repel active. However so far I've ran into more Electrode and Magnetons despite being genderless. Am I just unlucky?

I have no idea how cute charmers work with genderless 'mons. But I think you're probably unlucky.

Lost Hotel... I RE'd there for electrode once. Lost a shiny litwick to Memento and found four shiny klefki before I found the electrode

Kurloz Makara

Red Death
Found a shiny Swanna while attempting to find a Legendary Pokemon during last night's Wormhole hunting!

Quiet Nature & alert to sounds! I named her after a character from a movie I loved watching when I was small. :3

AmethystLeslie

2 eggs in from trying to get a girl, a Mudkip hatched shiny.

IVs are Very Good/Pretty Good/Decent/Decent/Best/Best.

RedJirachi

Veteran member

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
congrats to all that got there shinies and good luck to all that are still hunting ^_^

I am seriously still in this pain of sring, I got the charm and still no sight of shiny blacephalon, I sr'd about 400 srs so far however I know that isn't over the odds yet but this is one stubborn clown that refuses to show up. I hope I get this in another month it just sucks i can't start mming on this game until i get this guy and then just catch the second one normally lol

ArcanineRaichu77

Shiny Hunter,Bookworm and BVB fan~
Congrats to all recent shinies! I'm so excited! After only 3959 RE's, not even half way to full odds, this beauty appeared on Route 20, for my Black 2 BQ shiny number #2!
[img139]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/334177950029316116/403893544303067147/IMG_20180119_202626.jpg?width=939&height=1252[/img139] Shiny female Pidove! One of my targets here <3. She's Quiet and has Big Pecks, which is not great, but I don't care! Now my shiny male Unfezant, Pidgeonboy will have a shiny mate! :D More pics in the spoiler below:
[img139]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/334177950029316116/403893753259229196/IMG_20180119_202807.jpg?width=939&height=1252[/img139]
[img139]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/334177950029316116/403894082717351937/IMG_20180119_203247.jpg?width=939&height=1252[/img139]
[img139]https://i.imgur.com/SR3TVG5.jpg?1[/img139]
So now on this Badge Quest I have had two hunts under odds, and Pokerus :O. After some Audino grinding she evolved into a lovely shiny Tranquil <3.
[img139]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/334177950029316116/403901176589844480/IMG_20180119_210954.jpg?width=939&height=1252[/img139]
[img139]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/334177950029316116/403901177064062977/IMG_20180119_211052.jpg?width=939&height=1252[/img139]
[img139]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/334177950029316116/403901178158514186/IMG_20180119_211023.jpg?width=939&height=1252[/img139]
I'm at Castelia City now, after she easily took down Roxie by herself. I've renamed her Robin as it sounds more fitting. My next hunt for shiny #3 will be repel tricking in Castelia Park: only Cottonee and Eevee will appear, with Cottonee being my target. Just please don't take 16k like my Eevee did when I last hunted here for my White 2 BQ :p. Piplup is steadily plodding along on 100 SR's: I'm finding that hunt incredibly relaxing.I'm very happy with my new shiny gal, and good luck to you all on your hunts!

EDIT: Decided to level up my Illuminate Chinchou to level 19 and just repel trick hunt for Eevee, as I have a future Cottonee hunt planned for when I get my Japanese Black for my shiny nostalgia quest :). I did some entralink grinding to obtain encounter power 3, as with only a 5% appearance rate encounters without it would be slow. I've also managed to buy over 700 repels xD to save money, I save and use all of them for encounters, then if no shiny, I reset. I'm just past 3k atm, and I hope this hunt doesn't go for five months and take 16k like it did on my White 2 BQ :p.

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
>.< Second shiny lillipup after 7,616 REs. Female, timid, alert to sounds, PickUp. Will be WT fodder.

@Kyuu-Tales I am reconsidering your offer for your safari. You don't have lillipup in yours, which makes it infinitely better than two of the three eevee safaris I already have, and I'm sick of the third one spamming me with minccino.

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
Nearly a week of SR'ing and still no sign of shiny Nihilego or Guzzlord. Am I doing something wrong? Are they shiny locked during the first encounters or something?

@Kyuu-Tales I am reconsidering your offer for your safari. You don't have lillipup in yours, which makes it infinitely better than two of the three eevee safaris I already have, and I'm sick of the third one spamming me with minccino.
Great, okay! My FC is in my signature. I'll add yours. (I need to take a break from Nihilego and Guzzlord desperately.)

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Ultra Sumo doesn't shiny lock Ultra Beasts, so it's more patience

I for one have always been a fan of shinies who have a meaningful coloration. Here's a list to see what I mean
* Arbok: Resembles the golden cobras associated with the pharaohs
* Alolan Raichu: Its very tanned, which fits since its a Raichu planted into Pokemon's version of Hawaii and a surfer
* Alolan Muk: Its normal coloration resembles its Kanto cousin's shiny, and vice versa
* Gyarados: It retains a lot of its color from being a Magikarp
* Sudowoodo: Resembles an autumn tree
* Slugma: Solidified lava. Pokedex mentioning it will solidify if it stops moving
* Ho-oh: The mascot Pokemon for Pokemon Gold is now gold colored
* Roselia and Roserade: It now has different roses
* Spoink: They use a different type of pearl, a black pearl
* Lunatone: The blue eye on the moon Pokemon calls the phrase "once in a blue moon", which describes encountering shinies rather well
* Volcarona: The Pokemon is said to have acted as a substitute to the Sun. Now, it is yellow like the sun
* Greninja: The black and red make it fit in easily as a ninja
* Slurpuff: The chocolate touch is another angle on its nature as a sweet
* Carbink and Diancie: The black coloration is very much like carbon, of which diamond is made of
* Sandygast line: Based off the rare black sand
* Type: Null and Silvally: The golden touch calls to Arceus' shiny, further tying it as a sort of artificial Arceus
* Minior: It has all the colors of its different forms, plus black/the abscene of color on it
* Lunala: Almost literally a blood-red lunar eclipse