• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Nearly a week of SR'ing and still no sign of shiny Nihilego or Guzzlord. Am I doing something wrong? Are they shiny locked during the first encounters or something?

Great, okay! My FC is in my signature. I'll add yours. (I need to take a break from Nihilego and Guzzlord desperately.)

Added you ^_^

My FC is also in my signature.

Last edited:

TheMaster327

Well, that was a nice short hunt. 2,136 REs in the grass of Vast Poni Canyon and this doggo shows up :)

[spoil][img139]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/110854430974304256/404686520264425473/DUFHUyjWkAEaPLr.jpg[/img139]

Unfortunately, he turned out Timid with a garbage IV in Attack, but hey, I can progress! Also caught it in my only Lure Ball to match it's colour![/spoil]

Hi everyone!

I tend to go through period of being really enthusiastic about shiny hunting and then I go missing for a bit. I know a few people here already but hi to all new people :)

I just thought I would post as I have some shiny news, I'm hoping I can stay enthusiastic about hunting for a while.
I was chaining on pearl last week and I managed to get 5 shiny Pidgey.

Then I felt inspired to go back to my old Whismur hunt on X where I was up to 3100 RE. I do have the shiny charm though.

At 5615 RE I came across a shiny Axew! I was so glad it wasn't a Zubat! It has a bashful nature. Thinking that's not the best but oh well a shiny is a shiny :)

After that I tried for Whismur again. However I had the thought that I would probably get a Zubat if another shiny was to come along so I started hunting on Alpha Sapphire as well and at 6950 RE (total, not in addition to Axew) a shiny Whismur appeared in Alpha Sapphire! It has a hasty nature. So it was around 618 RE on Alpha Sapphire and 1335 RE after Axew. I have the shiny charm on this game too.

Congrats on all the new shinies and good luck everyone :)

Last edited:

Pluski

After obtaining the shiny charm, I finally got to start the Stakataka mission. After just 4 encounters, this appears:

[img139]https://i.imgur.com/qXR00WV.jpg[/img139]

I figured that using False Swipe would not do much at all, so I paralysed it, used Rotom Catch and threw a Beast Ball. Critical capture, so I caught it at the first try. Synchronizer did not work though, so it ended up with a Modest nature. However, I will probably never use it in battle anyway, so it doesn't matter.

[img139]https://i.imgur.com/pfd8Qzp.jpg[/img139] [img139]https://i.imgur.com/XIBcodC.jpg[/img139]

I'm unsure what to hunt next. I managed to delay getting Type:Null by filling my boxes completely, so that is a very tempting target. However, I also really want the legendaries that weren't available in OR/AS. And the Ultra Beasts...

Good luck to everyone on your hunts.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I was about to complain that this safari was only giving me lillipups and after I said I didn't want lillipups it wasn't giving me anything, but finally something sparkled and it's not a freaking lillipup.

It's a blue-striped kecleon. Female, timid, takes plenty of siestas, with Color Change. Appeared after 10,033 REs

Much later edit: Had to do some pruning of my friends list since adding Kyuu filled it completely, and I ended up back in the dunsparce/minccino/eevee safari for a while. Found a shiny there, but thankfully it wasn't another minccino. It was a pink dunsparce. Female, modest nature, alert to sounds, with Serene Grace. Appeared at 10,549 REs

Edit #2: First shiny from Kyuu's safari is another dunsparce. Male, adamant, alert to sounds, Rattled. This one appeared after 11,452 REs

Edit #3: Shiny dunsparce #4 after 11,502 REs. Male, timid, capable of taking hits, Run Away.

Wonder Trade is gonna love me when I get everything back to Ultra Sun

Last edited:

Phillies

I have be trying to hatch a shiny Sentret in Pokemon Gold. Even though I was breeding with a shiny Ditto it was being stubborn and didn't shine until the 188th egg. I had 5 eggs left to hatch and didn't I go and get a second one. I guess the game was rewarding me for being patient seeing as how none of my other egg hunts have lasted longer than 60 or so eggs.

Echo Nacyl

Woo! After drifting around Ultra Space for awhile, I came across Regigigas in a wormhole. As this hunt was long overdue for me, I went for it. After roughly 2050 SRs (I stopped counting after 2000, but it came very quickly after), it shined. Sync failed (again) and it's Hardy. As it's mostly a collectible shiny for me, I'll keep it anyway.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Shiny dunsparce #5 after 12,058 REs. Jolly nature, takes plenty of siestas, Run Away.

They're still much less annoying than minccino or lillipup.

Edit: Shiny eevee #4 after 12,681 REs. Male, bold, capable of taking hits, with Anticipation. I was syncing for timid. Even with the bad nature he's going to be an espeon.

Edit #2: Shiny kecleon #2 after 12,849 REs. Male, bold, somewhat vain, with Color Change.

Last edited:

TheMaster327

So after 2,813 SRs, my next shiny on the STQ shows up!

[img139]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/226084610193358849/405861786085228544/20180124_225508.jpg[/img139]

Shiny Xurkitree! Ended up Jolly, despite syncing for Timid. Doesn't matter though, it has plenty of Sp. Atk anyway! Glad I can move onwards!

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Shiny kecleon #3 after 12,922 REs. Male, modest nature, capable of taking hits, with Color Change. I don't think I've gotten any with the HA yet

Edit: Shiny kecleon #4 after 12,959 REs. Female this time, rash nature, somewhat vain, again with Color Change

Edit #2: Shiny eevee #5 after 13,227 REs. Male again, Brave nature and somewhat vain, with Anticipation. This one will be a vaporeon.

I actually need to go breed an adamant-natured synchronizer now, since I don't have one already. Then I'll be back to hunt more eevees

Last edited:

I Pink Elephant

Shiny Hunter
Congratulations on the recent Shiny Hunts! I recently got UltraMoon for X-Mas, so I decided to try hatch a shiny Popilo... which appeared in four eggs! Really happy with him. Did not expect to get one so fast, and with good IVs!

[img139]https://i.imgur.com/QZu8Gxw.jpg?1[/img139]

A random question, it appears that the VC version of Crystal has added the GS Ball event, allowing everyone to get Celebi... does this mean we can Shiny Hunt for it? That would be cool...

Anyway, good luck to everyone! I am off to see if that Gift Egg gives an increased chance of a shiny... really want a shiny Jynx.

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
A random question, it appears that the VC version of Crystal has added the GS Ball event, allowing everyone to get Celebi... does this mean we can Shiny Hunt for it? That would be cool...

Anyway, good luck to everyone! I am off to see if that Gift Egg gives an increased chance of a shiny... really want a shiny Jynx.

I certainly hope so. Celebi is a shiny I love the look of and have always been so pissed it wasn't available. If it can be hunted shiny in this game... I may be convinced to get Crystal assuming my 3DS has the space for it.

Edit: Shiny eevee #6 after 14,314 REs. Again a male, hasty nature and alert to sounds, with Run Away. He'll be a flareon.

Three more eevees to go :3

Edit #2: Shiny eevee #7 after 14,669 REs. Another male, adamant nature (sync worked this time), somewhat vain, with Adaptability. This one will be a leafeon.

Two left!

Last edited:

Scrufox86

Hello all. It's been a while since my last post. Congratulations to all new shinies. I do have a question about the ultra wormholes. I have not done a shiny hunt with them yet. I want to but I'm wondering if anyone knows if they confirmed the odds of shinies from using them? I've seen videos of people getting multiple shinies within a few hours so I am guessing very high shiny chances but I would like to know figures.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Hello all. It's been a while since my last post. Congratulations to all new shinies. I do have a question about the ultra wormholes. I have not done a shiny hunt with them yet. I want to but I'm wondering if anyone knows if they confirmed the odds of shinies from using them? I've seen videos of people getting multiple shinies within a few hours so I am guessing very high shiny chances but I would like to know figures.

First of all, it depends on whether the pokémon is a legendary or not. If it's a legendary, it's just the standard 1 in 4096 chance of a shiny. If not, it depends on the type of wormhole and the distance. Once you've caught all the legendaries, you're guaranteed to get regular pokémon which have high shiny odds (when entering red, yellow, blue, or green wormholes). As for actual numbers, they've been datamined and are essentially, in %:

Standard wormhole (no rings): 1% irrespective of distance
One ring wormhole: 1 + min(9,floor(D/500-1))
Two rings wormhole: 1 + 2*min(9,floor(D/500-1))
Rarest wormhole: 4*min(9,floor(D/500-1))

Here D is the distance travelled in light-years. Essentially it increases in increments because of the floor function, so you get better odds every 500 light-years but there's no difference between 3400 light-years and 3000 light-years, and the odds cap out at 5000 light-years. Go further than that, and the shiny odds won't increase any further. You can get the highest odds with the rarest wormhole and the largest distance. At 5000+ light-years with the rarest wormhole you have a 36% chance of a shiny. Shiny charm doesn't affect shiny odds for regular pokémon in Ultra Space.

Once you get a bit good at the ultra warpride you should statistically get about 3 shinies per hour through this method.

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Shiny eevee #8 after 14,890 REs! Male (all of them are male), calm nature, capable of taking hits, with Run Away. This one will be an umbreon.

One more! Just one more, to stay a silver puffball. I just need ONE MORE!

Watch me get a half dozen more dunsparce first, though...

Edit: OMG SHINY EEVEE #9 AFTER 15,138 RES! AND IT'S A FEMALE! Naive nature and takes plenty of siestas, with Run Away. She'll be staying an eevee.

And the Shiny Eeveeloutions Quest is DONE!

Now I just have to IV check everything and prepare to send them forward to US

Last edited:

Echo Nacyl

Grats on that Eevee set, Cyberra.

...wow.
So, when Crystal VC was announced, I decided right away that I'd resume my age-old Odd Egg hunt. Back in Crystal, years ago, I was trying so very hard to get a shiny Magby from the egg. I'd gotten everything else (shiny and not) anywhere from 5-15 (or more) times apiece when I abandoned the hunt due to other things and never really returned to it.
So, I got VC Crystal, got to Goldenrod, grabbed the bike, returned to the daycare, saved, and prepared for a long mission.
First try: shiny Cleffa.
Second try: shiny Magby.
I named her Minerva and she will be part of my playthrough team. Totally stoked.

I Pink Elephant

Shiny Hunter
Congratulations on the Eevees Cyberra! Thats so cool Echo Nacyl, congratulations!

So a while ago when Cystal was announced for VC, I read that the Odd Egg you get has a %14 chance of being shiny, so when I got to the Day Care people I decided to try SR-ing for a shiny egg Pokemon. 5 attempts later and...

[img139]https://i.imgur.com/t0tVbJY.jpg[/img139]

I have a shiny Igglybuff! Very happy with this. Now I am not sure what to do, keep her on as a member of my Cystal team or send her over to UltraSun...

Cyberra

pain in the ***
When anyone gets to the celebi part, could they please confirm whether or not it can be SR'd? I'll be checking youtube for any vids to see if anyone else has been able to.

Decided to grab a shiny noibat before leaving Y entirely. Sigh...

SheroGH

When anyone gets to the celebi part, could they please confirm whether or not it can be SR'd? I'll be checking youtube for any vids to see if anyone else has been able to.

Decided to grab a shiny noibat before leaving Y entirely. Sigh...

Yes, got to the Celebi part and you can SR.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Yes, got to the Celebi part and you can SR.

The part everyone wants to know is, can it be shiny? Or did they be jerks and lock it again

I hope it can be shiny. I want a legit pink celebi. Not sure one has ever been released.

Edit: Shiny fraxure get. Timid, takes plenty of siestas, Mold Breaker. Not a good nature for a haxorus, but meh. I was syncing for noibat. 465 (lol) REs.

Last edited: