• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

RedJirachi

Veteran member
The internal battery doesn't affect random shinies, does it?

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
FINALLY I can progress to rainbow rocket side quest in my ultra sun :) I know I could of just captured one and knock it out however I really wanted to try to get one shiny at least and just capture the other non shiny unfortunately the synch failed -_- but oh well I mean it isn't that bad its naive nature XD

[img139]https://i.imgur.com/ZiWmNTlm.jpg[/img139]

congrats to others that have found there shinies and good luck to all others that are are still hunting :) this baby took over 4,250 srs with no charm + 851 srs with charm

Last edited:

ArcanineRaichu77

Shiny Hunter,Bookworm and BVB fan~
The internal battery doesn't affect random shinies, does it?
Nope! A Dry battery Ruby or Sapphire produces random encounter shinies like any other, as ya can see from my Wurmple above :). This also applies to Emerald, as dry R/S have an RNG that works similar to Emerald's. You can do any RE hunt as normal, and I would recommend bringing one fighting pokemon to defeat all non shinies and five pick up Zizagoon, as you will end up with a fantastic item haul at the end of the hunt :). However, dry battery games and Emerald are not advisable for SR hunts, as the RNG loops and if your shiny frame is not near the start, you will most likely never find a sr shiny. RE's are fine because encounters cycle through the frames fast enough to avoid this issue. If you do want an sr shiny, you're best bet is to start a new file, save before picking your starter, and do around 50 soft resets, with 5 different speeds for ten resets each. This way, you are hitting more frames to see if you have a so called, "shiny file". If your starter shines during this time, I believe you can also get other sr shinies in the game quickly, but I'm unsure if they will be RNG clones or not. If the Poochy or Ziggy you fight shines, you also have a shiny file with that ID! What you need to do then is SR, and move a bit slower for the starter to shine instead. This is how I got my Shiny Mudkip Kippa on my previous dry Sapphire file :). He came after 3,500 SR's and 2 uncatchable shiny Poochy :(. So yes, RE shinies work as normal, even on dry battery and Emerald games :). I'm no expert, so if anyone knows more, feel free to add anything and/or correct me! As for my hunts: Starly on Diamond is on a measly 800 RE's, Aron on Sapphire is on 150 RE's, and Route 5 on Black 2 is on 3k :) Good luck everyone! :D
~AR77~

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
FINALLY I can progress to rainbow rocket side quest in my ultra sun :) I know I could of just captured one and knock it out however I really wanted to try to get one shiny at least and just capture the other non shiny unfortunately the synch failed -_- but oh well I mean it isn't that bad its naive nature XD

First, congrats :D
Second, I haven't do the Rainbow Rocket mission either lol. That can wait until I get my second Shiny Blacephalon.

Quick question for everyone: has anyone gotten a shiny from transferring Gen I Pokemon through Transporter? Also, is it possible to manipulate the DVs so they turn out shiny?

I don't have Gen 1 games on VC, but people have been doing that, getting Pokemon with the right stats so that they ends up shiny when transferred. Try to look it up.

But only stationary, fishing, and gift Pokemon (including from in-game trade, fossil revival, and game corner) in Gen 1 can have the DV required to be shiny.

Ditto is the only wild Pokemon that can be shiny, but only if you use a trick that requires you to have a Gen 2 game on a different console. (It involves letting Ditto copies a shiny from gen 2)

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
Got my Shiny Celebi today after doing around 50 or so SR's, so all in all, it took pretty much bang on the full odds to get the Celebi. :D

https://imgur.com/a/6o7kX

I don't know if i'll pickup any other shinies from Pokemon Crystal, if i do, it'll probably be using the 1/64 egg with a shiny ditto, but that's if i can be bothered spending the extra money for a gen 1 game on another console.

Now i can go back to SoS'ing and eventually MM'ing some shinies on my UltraMoon game. :)

Good luck everyone with your hunts. :)

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Shiny rowlet after 603 eggs. He's jolly and alert to sounds, with Overgrow. Because I'm a wiseass, I named him Leaf Erikson.

Gonna send him back to Sun for training and some leveling, then shove him into Pelago to passively level, because I want him for my battle team later.

In the meantime, because I am a stubborn beast, I am going to magikarp swap for a shiny goomy using the shiny sliggoo (now goodra) I got in Y. Just to have the shinydex for the entire evolutionary line. And then I have a half dozen other things I want to breed shiny.

I'm a nut. Lol

Well, I've been soft resetting for Nihilego in Ultra Sun since the beginning of January. I'm excited to download Crystal and hunt shiny Celebi, but I told myself I have to finish the Nihilego hunt first. I hope it doesn't take too much longer, because there are so many hunts I want to get into.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Got my Shiny Celebi today after doing around 50 or so SR's, so all in all, it took pretty much bang on the full odds to get the Celebi. :D

https://imgur.com/a/6o7kX

I don't know if i'll pickup any other shinies from Pokemon Crystal, if i do, it'll probably be using the 1/64 egg with a shiny ditto, but that's if i can be bothered spending the extra money for a gen 1 game on another console.

Now i can go back to SoS'ing and eventually MM'ing some shinies on my UltraMoon game. :)

Good luck everyone with your hunts. :)

How long is the event for Celebi in Crystal open?

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
The Celebi event in Crystal is a permanent event, it will not ever cease to be obtainable in VC versions of Crystal.

...wow who knows who I am eh? xD Life has been going nuts on me for years now, but hunting was been at times moderately successful for me. My last shiny however was a shiny Mudkip on Pokemon Ruby lately! I ordered a legit Ruby and an AGS-001 GBA from eBay just before the month began and picked it up, and yeah now I am on a new Badge Quest! Pickup is working miracles for me as I hunt too ;)

Have fun hunting y'all!

Echo Nacyl

Well, it's not as interesting or rare as my current SR hunts, but I hatched a shiny Zigzagoon tonight. Female, Level Ball, Jolly, Gluttony, with Extremespeed and 31/31/31/Decent/31/31. Couldn't have asked for better, just gotta decide on a name for her.
Probably gonna do another breeding hunt on UM, since US is still tied up on Poipole (after I get Poipole I'll probably dual hunt the version-exclusive UBs). Thinking about targeting Vikavolt since it's fairly simple in having only one ability, plus its shiny is sweet.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
The Celebi event in Crystal is a permanent event, it will not ever cease to be obtainable in VC versions of Crystal.

...wow who knows who I am eh? xD Life has been going nuts on me for years now, but hunting was been at times moderately successful for me. My last shiny however was a shiny Mudkip on Pokemon Ruby lately! I ordered a legit Ruby and an AGS-001 GBA from eBay just before the month began and picked it up, and yeah now I am on a new Badge Quest! Pickup is working miracles for me as I hunt too ;)

Have fun hunting y'all!

Fist-pump time!

Now I worry on how hard it is going to be to catch that thing

ArcanineRaichu77

Shiny Hunter,Bookworm and BVB fan~
My Lucky Week!

Seriously, what is my luck this week? First Wurmple under odds, not even hitting 6k, I get a FEMALE Shiny Piplup after only 300 SR's on Diamond and now this little fella decided to greet me on White 2 after only 5 eggs with MM! My dex is nowhere near finished so no charm on this game! I haven't done an MM in so long, and I always find it relaxing, which was good at the time because my anxiety was being dumb :p. So I thought, I'll MM something for my Black 2 BQ. Mienfoo is a nice shiny, and stuck a female with Regenerator in with my foreign Sandile. Female was Jolly, but I derped and forgot the Everstone :p I was playing Colo at the same time and couldn't believe when I looked down and saw this!
[img139]https://i.imgur.com/oSCAmSM.jpg?1[/img139]
[img139]https://i.imgur.com/GKJG4Hy.jpg[/img139]
I got so lucky, as he is randomly Naive nature! Above Average IV's with Fantastic Speed :D.
[img139]https://i.imgur.com/6Vx65xU.jpg[/img139]
[img139]https://i.imgur.com/DwB7m9S.jpg[/img139]

My next target will be another shiny Mienfoo for my Black 2 BQ, as I want one with better IV's with Regenarator, and I want to have both of the evo line! I called this guy Kojofu, and he's too cute to evolve! Good luck all :D
EDIT: Here's a video to showcase this lovely fella :D https://youtu.be/YlrrpRp5RO8
EDIT 2: I got a feeling that I should restart my original White, since it's been ages since I played through those games, and BQ it! As I want to do a complete shiny Unova dex, my first target is a Snivy, who I won't be evolving! Not counting my Srs so it's more relaxed counting by days hunted instead, so this is day one lol. I think Tepig on White was actually my first ever Sr shiny, and White was the first game I ever did a BQ on so, I'm excited for this!
~AR77~

Last edited:

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
I successfully caught a shiny Ditto using the ditto glitch between my Crystal and Red games. I collected 5 Eevee eggs using the Eevee from Bill and the new shiny Ditto. These eggs are so slow to hatch, though. I likely won’t try for more Eevee any time soon if one of these doesn’t shine. I’d rather go for something with a shorter hatch time first. And I still need to complete the story anyway.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
It's not that hard to catch. It has a catch rate of 45 so with 5-10 ultra balls and full HP, if you're lucky.

Is it like Sudowoodo and I have to catch it immediately, or can I come back any time? What Pokemon that can learn False Swipe will be the easiest to level up and do the job?

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
Is it like Sudowoodo and I have to catch it immediately, or can I come back any time? What Pokemon that can learn False Swipe will be the easiest to level up and do the job?

It's not a part of the storyline so you can start SR'ing then give up and leave at any time you wish and continue onto the Kanto portion of the game.

As for false swiping, Scyther or Farfetch'd are your only options in the Johto region, so unless you complete the Kanto portion of the game beforehand, those 2 are your only options.

That said, Celebi was so so easy to capture. I brought along a freshly caught Arbok from Route 27(on the way to the league) that had Glare & Bite. I used Glare and 2 Bites and Celebi was just above half health, i chucked 1 Ultra Ball and it was caught.

Cyberra

pain in the ***

Or you could just master ball it, which is what I plan to do. Take no chances.

Shiny goomy after 406 eggs. Female, calm nature, alert to sounds, with Hydration. I'll keep her for now, but might send her into WT later.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Or you could just master ball it, which is what I plan to do. Take no chances.

Shiny goomy after 406 eggs. Female, calm nature, alert to sounds, with Hydration. I'll keep her for now, but might send her into WT later.

Oh yeah, I forgot about how useful the Master Ball would be for that

xEryChan

Demon Child
Well, this was random. I found a shiny Inkay today while I was working on completing my Melemele PokeDex while watching Celebrity Big Brother. It came out of nowhere and completely caught me off guard. I am just so happy right now.

[img139]https://i.imgur.com/yRj0Tt8.jpg[/img139]

StrongBad456

Beginning Trainer
I got my 2nd shiny of my Crystal playthrough, from the Odd Egg. Luckily I saved in front of the Daycare Man and was able to reset after hatching a shiny Magby that I didn't really need because I have a Cyndaquil. The next egg gave me a shiny Tyrogue and that was what I wanted, so I kept him and named him Rocky. Happy hunting!