• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

LucarioMan101

HGSS ftw!!!!!!
Having a weird mix of amazing and horrible luck this week. On Wednesday, I was soft resetting for a shiny Zapdos and ended up finding one pretty quickly. Unfortunately, my sync didn't work and it was a neutral nature. I have a 1/8192 Zapdos from FRLG, so I decided I would reset over it. Less than an hour later (I have the shiny charm) I found another one, this time it was Careful nature, which is equally awful. So I softreset again. Well today, after several hours last night and today, I finally found my third shiny Zapdos....and it was Docile nature. So now I'm pretty darn frustrated but still trying to get Timid because I've reset over too many shinies to let this mission go in vain. Hopefully I'll report back soon with a success. Wish me luck pleaseeeee

EDIT: Found another shiny Zapdos this morning....Bashful nature....that's 4 shiny Zapdos now with the wrong nature. This is beginning to feel hopeless.

Last edited:

ArcanineRaichu77

Shiny Hunter,Bookworm and BVB fan~
Hey everyone! Congrats on all those shinies :D

Usually I only post here when I get a shiny, but not this time :p. To the above poster, SRing over a shiny on purpose despite the odds seems so weird to me, but good luck on that Zapdos! I don't have USUM just yet, but I've heard that the shiny rates for normal Pokemon in wormholes are just insane, is this true? If so, it seems like this really defeats the whole purposes of shinies being rare..but this isn't the time or place for this discussion.

Anyways, I've been focusing a lot on my Snivy hunt for my White BQ, and my recently started Squirtle hunt for my FR BQ (#2), my first was way back in 2013, the nostalgia! That was my first ever time hunting in 3rd gen. My targets for this BQ are: Squirtle, Oddish, Diglett, Growlithe, Dratini, Pikachu, Lapras, Scyther from the Game corner, and Onix before the elite four for the reclaim :) also thinking of hunting Raikou after the e4 :D. My old Onix was a random encounter on HG on my way to fight Red..I evolved him and traded him to my Black..which has been lost for seven years now :(. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the roaming beast's shininess is set after you give the Sapphire to Celio? I'm only on 1834 Squirtle but I'm feeling really excited for this hunt! Some of ya guys might remember from when I was RaichuArcanine that I did 5,300 for Squirtle before I switched to Char (who took 15,763 SR's). My ID is an awesome one, 45995, and I feel like I'm seeing a lot of females for some reason Oo. After all my luck so far this year, I'm kind hoping for a long hunt :p.

Apart from that hunting update, my main reason for posting is that my cousin is coming to visit next month, and he will be fixing my dry RS batteries :D. This will mean I can do SR hunts them normally which I'm psyched about! Btw, is the Community Hunt still a thing for this thread? It was back when I posted heaps on my old account.

I wish everyone luck! Don't expect another post from me until something shines ;) ;007;
EDIT: When I get Squirtle I'll only need shiny Froakie and Popplio to have all water starters shiny :O

Last edited:

TheMaster327

So I went on with my Gold VC BQ and found Route 44 was off limits, so I went to Route 43. After only 3,568 REs, a purple sheep showed herself to me!

[img139]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/201216722127028224/414842076539387915/DWVcyAjX4AAkQoI.jpg[/img139]

Pleased with this as shiny Ampharos looks great in gen 2! Hopefully you all get lucky soon enough!

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
congrats to all the shiny that were obtained guys :)

anyway still mming my alolan vulpix hatched 227 eggs so far with one shiny that hatched from the batch still going I really want one with snow warning >.<

good luck to all that is still hunting :)

edit:

well here she is my timid dream ball shiny alolan vulpix with HA yay! 298 eggs not sure what i am gunna hunt next but its gunna be a wormhole hunt :)

[img139]https://i.imgur.com/vmK218lm.jpg[/img139]

Last edited:

Shinyhunter1990

Shiny Hunter 4 life
I just caught a shiny cutiefly on ultra moon version after 100 or so sos calls

I Pink Elephant

Shiny Hunter
Congratulations on all the recent Shiny Pokemon! :)

Currently I am SR'ing for a Shiny Ho-Oh in Ultra Sun. Been a week or so now, but I will continue until I get that amazing phoenix!

Wait, the Partner Cap Pikachu can be shiny? Hmm... not sure what to do then. If it was just a normal shiny then yeah, I would hunt it, but if it comes from a bug... is it really legit then?

RedJirachi

Veteran member
So I went on with my Gold VC BQ and found Route 44 was off limits, so I went to Route 43. After only 3,568 REs, a purple sheep showed herself to me!

[img139]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/201216722127028224/414842076539387915/DWVcyAjX4AAkQoI.jpg[/img139]

Pleased with this as shiny Ampharos looks great in gen 2! Hopefully you all get lucky soon enough!

I don't see the difference between it and a normal Flaafy

Echo Nacyl

Wait, the Partner Cap Pikachu can be shiny? Hmm... not sure what to do then. If it was just a normal shiny then yeah, I would hunt it, but if it comes from a bug... is it really legit then?

Yeah it's a weird one to identify. No external modifications/game abuse, but still not intended. Kinda a weird thing. I only searched for it out of boredom while hunting Poipole on US.

Ampharos_Spark

Gen 6 = <3
Oooh, grats on the Sableye. It was my first (and still only, despite my efforts) Go shiny.
And yeah, even though the Cap Pika doesn't have a different color palette for shininess, it can be 'shiny' in that it has the summary star and battle shining animation.
I have a really, really bad quality image of the latter, if it shows properly.
View attachment 17046
Thanks for the congrats! That's both really cool and really weird. I kinda want to go for it as a novelty but, I don't want to go through the work of SRing for it and it getting blocked from transfer later (Shiny Colosseum Bonus Disc Jirachi...).

@RedJirachi It's a different shade of pink. The green tail in gen 3 and onwards definitely helps it stand out better. https://www.serebii.net/pokedex-gs/180.shtml

Congrats on the new shinies! No new shinies for me yet. I did however just spend 3 hours at McDonald's trying to connect to the Eshop to get Crystal version and did eventually succeed. I am now going to SR for Totodile for a few days and then continue through the game. I will also be going for the Odd Egg shinies but for specifically Tyrogue, Elekid and/or Magby for now, for my team, because Celebi is my main focus for this game.

TheMaster327

So this happened last night but I completely forgot to post it here! My last shiny of the STQ finally decided to shine after a huge 10,484 SRs!

[spoil][img139]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/201254087642054657/415232939282923520/20180219_191822.jpg[/img139][/spoil]

Shiny Xerneas! Timid Sync did its job, and its IVs are 31 / 31 / 31 / 5 / 27 / 15. At least Bottle Caps are a thing!

xEryChan

Demon Child
This literally just happened. I've been going through the Ultra Wormhole to catch some legendary Pokemon and I ended up finding a shiny Swanna and immediately my day just got a million times better though everyone in my family is mad at me because of my freak out. I am so happy that this is the first Swanna I've caught in Ultra Sun

[img139]https://i.imgur.com/eHsXYDx.jpg[/img139]

EDIT: Found two shinies back to back. First Swanna and now Altaria. Neither are the Swellow I've been dying to get but hopefully I will find that magnificent bird soon enough.

[img139]https://i.imgur.com/am25yzZ.jpg[/img139]

[img139]https://i.imgur.com/QyztCjm.jpg[/img139]

Last edited:

Echo Nacyl

I feel your pain, xEryChan, on not getting the desired wormhole shiny. Been trying for a Lombre, myself, with zero success (meanwhile I have one each of Quagsire, Stunfisk, and Floatzel...and I've seen more shiny Barbaracle than normal ones).

Been casually Unown hunting in OR while I continue hunting for my second Poipole in US (I determined that I didn't enjoy hunting something as annoying as Poipole alongside something as rare as Celebi, so I plan to get the Poipole before resuming that hunt). So far I have added Unown N and X to my shiny collection (having gotten Unown M some time ago).

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
Well I figured out my first target which will be shiny zapdos :) took some time finding zapdos but ended up finding two shinies in the progress going through red holes which I have a shiny swellow and sigylph XD

Good luck to all that is still hunting and congrats to all the new shinies!

Shinyhunter1990

Shiny Hunter 4 life
Today I got the shiny charm on ultra sun and when I finally decided what to hunt zekrom when I got sucked into a different wormhole and low and behold a shiny abomasnow I was happy and shocked

Drakonekoshi

Hey everyone

So recently I started another badge quest! this time in White 2, my starter was a shiny Tepig who I got on Valentines Day and was kind of a pain to get, and now I'm hunting for my second BQ shiny in the double grass on Route 20, unfortunately I've already gone over the odds, so far I'm at 8,790 encounters, I'm hoping for a Sewaddle or Venipede, but anything would be fine at this point.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Has there ever been any confirmation on whether Jirachi from the Colosseum Bonus Disc can be shiny? I'm kind of interested in trying the hunt, but with such long times between encounters, I want to be sure it's actually possible before I even attempt it.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Has there ever been any confirmation on whether Jirachi from the Colosseum Bonus Disc can be shiny? I'm kind of interested in trying the hunt, but with such long times between encounters, I want to be sure it's actually possible before I even attempt it.

Unlike Standard Event pokémon in Gen 4 and Later, you can only check for shiny after you save with it on.

During some research of the Bonus Disk, apparently you can restart the game and get it soon after you get the Pokédex.

As I've got a European Channel Disk, not a US Colosseum Bonus Disk, I can not confirm this either way. The European Channel requires a Completed game, and I think could be shiny. I think I may have caught one early on, but I lost that cart years ago. However I'm not sure and I could easily be mistaken.

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter

yes jirachi can however celebi no for some reason reason celebi skips the frame but when its jirachi it can be shiny...

I did about 100 srs still no sign of shiny zapdos hope the synch doesn't fail this time like my blacephalon >.<

good luck on ongoing hunts and congrats to all shinies obtained since my other post :)

Drakonekoshi

I forgot to mention it, but not long after posting about my hunt, a shiny Patrat appeared after 9,099 encounters! she was a pain to catch, leaving me with only 5 pokeballs despite having a 255 catch rate, I was absolutely terrified, but she managed to be caught in the end!

Photo on 2-21-18 at 7.53 PM.jpg

Cyclone

^ where it all began
JACKPOT!!!! I just hatched a NEAR PERFECT shiny Adamant Moxie Pinsir, with Quick Attack + Close Combat!! AHHH!!!!!!! Thank you Masuda! Took 270 eggs exactly, which is actually a mercifully small number compared to past Masuda hunts. SO PUMPED!!!!! I just did that thing where you save the game 5 times in a row.

Pics of it:
20180222_232359_1.jpg

20180222_232235_1.jpg