• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
I think I’m going to prep for the Jirachi hunt then. It’ll have to be a very long-term, secondary hunt because it’s not one I can take with me on the go and it requires a TV. But I’ll try it anytime I have the opportunity. Luckily Jirachi can be received as soon as you get the Pokédex. I saw a YouTube video timing the whole encounter at just under 9 minutes.

In the mean time, I’m at 450 SRs for Celebi in Crystal and I’m rotating between soft resets for Totodile in SS and Charmander in FR.

Good luck with your hunts! May the sparkles be with us all!

SheroGH

I think I’m going to prep for the Jirachi hunt then. It’ll have to be a very long-term, secondary hunt because it’s not one I can take with me on the go and it requires a TV. But I’ll try it anytime I have the opportunity. Luckily Jirachi can be received as soon as you get the Pokédex. I saw a YouTube video timing the whole encounter at just under 9 minutes.

In the mean time, I’m at 450 SRs for Celebi in Crystal and I’m rotating between soft resets for Totodile in SS and Charmander in FR.

Good luck with your hunts! May the sparkles be with us all!

Do you know that shiny Jirachi from the bonus disc is not considered legit? It can only be shiny with RNG. You can't soft reset for a shiny one like the others.

Ampharos_Spark

Gen 6 = <3

The only problem with this is that Colosseum Bonus Disc Shiny Jirachi's are blocked in the Poke Transporter (as far as I know that hasn't changed with updates, I could be wrong). So if you're okay with with it not being able to go passed gen 5, good luck!

Congrats to everyone on their new shinies! I return once again with a new shiny... from Pokemon Go again. it was right outside my apartment when I came home from the library on Wednesday.
[IMG139]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/320xq90/r/924/9wW1sF.png[/IMG139]
[IMG139]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/320xq90/r/924/QKrir3.png[/IMG139]
[IMG139]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/320xq90/r/923/hDtLVQ.png[/IMG139]
good luck everyone!

Shinyhunter1990

Shiny Hunter 4 life
I know that you can breed a dusk form Lycanroc but can its offspring be shiny? Oh after 5 hours of hunting a shiny salandit that was female a best - best - very good- best - fantastic- best shiny male salandit appears dang

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
yes jirachi can however celebi no for some reason reason celebi skips the frame but when its jirachi it can be shiny...

I did about 100 srs still no sign of shiny zapdos hope the synch doesn't fail this time like my blacephalon >.<

good luck on ongoing hunts and congrats to all shinies obtained since my other post :)

Celebi has been the most elusive shiny in the game. It took EIGHTEEN YEARS since the Pokemon's release, and the introduction of shiny Pokemon themselves, since we could get a shiny Celebi on the Crystal Virtual Console. People complain about the shiny lock, but at least we usually only have to wait a generation or two

I Pink Elephant

Shiny Hunter
Yeah it's a weird one to identify. No external modifications/game abuse, but still not intended. Kinda a weird thing. I only searched for it out of boredom while hunting Poipole on US.

Yeah... I kinda really want to hunt it, but I am also terrified of have a 'non-legit' shiny in my collection, so I am really stumped on what to do...

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I know that you can breed a dusk form Lycanroc but can its offspring be shiny? Oh after 5 hours of hunting a shiny salandit that was female a best - best - very good- best - fantastic- best shiny male salandit appears dang

Yes. I have a shiny dusk form lycanroc that I bred. I even bred it into a dive ball by breeding a female Own Tempo rockruff with a random male I went out and caught in a dive ball. All of the offspring will have the special ability, so just keep breeding until you get the nature you want and then one turns blue.

Currently I'm 1,243 eggs into a shiny oranguru hunt. Once I get it I'm going to push ahead in the storyline. My shiny smeargle and Damp parasect are fully leveled, bottle capped, and ready to hunt UBs.

Shinyhunter1990

Shiny Hunter 4 life
Thanks can’t wait to start that hunt just started a side hunt a shiny Squirtle hunt with Aura Sphere and Dragon Pulse

StrongBad456

Beginning Trainer
Lately I've been trying to breed to a shiny Totodile on Crystal. Unfortunately I don't have a shiny Ditto but I do have a male shiny Totodile so I'm breeding it with a regular female. I'm pretty sure I read that doing it this way, the shiny will have to be female and that severely limits my odds. I'm sure they're better than normal but I don't know exactly. I'm currently trying to get a shiny Ditto through the mimic trick. Good luck to everyone, I hope you get your shinies.

Echo Nacyl

Lately I've been trying to breed to a shiny Totodile on Crystal. Unfortunately I don't have a shiny Ditto but I do have a male shiny Totodile so I'm breeding it with a regular female. I'm pretty sure I read that doing it this way, the shiny will have to be female and that severely limits my odds. I'm sure they're better than normal but I don't know exactly. I'm currently trying to get a shiny Ditto through the mimic trick. Good luck to everyone, I hope you get your shinies.

Actually Pokemon with a 7:1 male:female ratio can't have female shinies at all in 2nd generation, due to how the IVs correlate. You'd have to use the male shiny to get a different pokemon (with a different ratio, such as Cubone) in the same egg group shiny (which would be female), then use her to get a shiny male of her species, then use the shiny male of that with a normal female Totodile.

Not much news here. Added Unown T to my shiny collection.

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
Do you know that shiny Jirachi from the bonus disc is not considered legit? It can only be shiny with RNG. You can't soft reset for a shiny one like the others.

if i remember correctly you can't rng abuse the Colosseum game shiny mons with as well ivs which includes jirachi? so i am not sure what you mean only can be rng? if you know something else i like to know because i don't remember a area on my reporter showing for that game which a use to rng abuse years ago on 4th and 5th gen games.

anyway my zapdos is being a bit fun so far did 400 srs since my last post in my ultra sun and nothing yet. I hope it shines soon so i can move on to the next kanto bird moltres...

good luck to all still hunting and congrats to all new shiny mons obtained :)

ArcanineRaichu77

Shiny Hunter,Bookworm and BVB fan~
Shiny Squirtle!

Hey everyone! As ya can tell by the title Squirtle shone on my Firered Badge Quest after only 5049 SR's! :O under odds once again..and that's not all the luck I got with this lovely shiny..
[img139]https://i.imgur.com/BI4ds34.jpg[/img139]
That's right, another FEMALE shiny water starter :D. Still can't believe it honestly, I shook while making the video, which ya can find here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=bPu3rXfb5iE
This actually shone for me three days back, but I didn't have a good enough connection to make the post xD
And of course, more pics! :D
[img139]https://i.imgur.com/sBxRAf0.jpg[/img139][img139]https://i.imgur.com/jNw2tJ7.jpg[/img139]
[img139]https://i.imgur.com/aBqGRcx.jpg[/img139]
After I beat Brock she evolved: I plan to name her Shelly when I get to Lavender town <3. [img139]https://i.imgur.com/w1LVzyU.jpg[/img139]
I am so happy with her <3. My next hunt is on Route 25 for Oddish, repellling with a level 14 mon for 100% Oddish. I hope all ya guys can share in the lovely luck I've gotten with my return to hunting this year :D
~AR77~

StrongBad456

Beginning Trainer
Actually Pokemon with a 7:1 male:female ratio can't have female shinies at all in 2nd generation, due to how the IVs correlate. You'd have to use the male shiny to get a different pokemon (with a different ratio, such as Cubone) in the same egg group shiny (which would be female), then use her to get a shiny male of her species, then use the shiny male of that with a normal female Totodile.

Not much news here. Added Unown T to my shiny collection.

I had no idea that was a thing in Gen 2. Thank you very much for the info. Luckily I got a shiny Ditto today, cloned it, and stuck one in the Daycare. Now I'm trying to breed a shiny Eevee on Silver and a shiny Totodile on Crystal.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
With The Crystal virtual console, Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon released, the shinies impossible to get that aren't from the current generation(since like with the Tao trio/Xerneas and Yveltal, we'll probably be able to hunt for them next gen) are the following: Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, Zygarde, Hoopa and Volcanion. Of these, which do you want to be available as a shiny first? Personally, it's Keldeo for me because it would allow completion with the fellow Musketeers

Cyberra

pain in the ***
With The Crystal virtual console, Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon released, the shinies impossible to get that aren't from the current generation(since like with the Tao trio/Xerneas and Yveltal, we'll probably be able to hunt for them next gen) are the following: Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, Zygarde, Hoopa and Volcanion. Of these, which do you want to be available as a shiny first? Personally, it's Keldeo for me because it would allow completion with the fellow Musketeers

Zygarde. I love its coloration. Though we are getting one handed to us in June (and if it's an in-life code distribution I am going to be PISSED. There isn't an EB Games within a hundred miles of where I live; closest one is 5 hours and 430km away. I'll be missing out unless someone is kind enough to snag an extra code for me. I missed out on this month's palkia/dialga because of that).

1,835 eggs hatched for oranguru. I've switched to magikarp swapping to make the eggs cycle faster. I wanna get this thing!

ArcanineRaichu77

Shiny Hunter,Bookworm and BVB fan~
I would also love the chance of a shiny Keldeo :). I'm at 548 REs at Route 25 in Firered but my main reason for posting here is that I found out my Platinum freezing was most likely due to rough system handling and not the game itself, so the BQ is on! Some of ya may remember back when I was RaichuArcanine that I sred over a shiny Chimchar around 1k by mistake and did 23,000 more Srs with nothing so that is my first target of course! Good luck guys, excited to reclaim Chimmy in 4th gen :D
EDIT: Currently on 23,600 overall for the monkey! Excited to see when it'll shine :D
~AR77

Last edited:

Echo Nacyl

Since Zygarde's already on the way, I gotta go with Victini. The first notable encounter I had with the shiny lock left a sadness for a long time, because I really like shiny Victini (partially because I like white shinies almost as much as green or black ones and partially because I'm no fan of yellow/orange).
Honestly though, I want them all. And I still need the event Arceus and Diancie, too. It's awful hard to be as timid as I am and get exclusive events like those; really wish this whole Japan-exclusive-shiny-legend/mythical thing would stop. I don't have anything against their minor events, nor the Pokemon Center events, but exclusive shinies just aren't fair.
Got my first duplicate shiny Unown (X) and another new one (W) tonight.

StrongBad456

Beginning Trainer
Aright, I hatched a shiny Eevee on Silver! Now I'm just hatching some left over eggs and then I can go for my next shiny team member, Mareep. It'll be tough training a whole team up after I get all the ones I want but I'm gonna do it. I just wish I could get a shiny Rowlet on Ultra Sun as quick as I got the Eevee on Silver. I think it's time I try the swap method. Good Luck everyone!

TheMaster327

Glad this hunt is over. Last night, after 4,738 REs (yes, I did REs), a beautiful blue firework ghost shows up!

[img139]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/373267652841308168/418171002065911808/DXEvxW6XcAAJoBJ.jpg[/img139]

Unfortunately, the Sync failed and it ended up Careful nature. Didn't stop it OHKOing my Xerneas on the first turn with Mind Blown. Fortunately with a Roto Catch and one Mind Blown, Blacephalon has a 99%+ chance of being caught in a single Beast Ball, so no Damp was required! Still got decent IVs: 31 / 31 / 21 / 24, 26 / 21 / 31

Cyberra

pain in the ***
2,310 eggs for oranguru and counting. Really hoping it's not going to be like my first jangmo-o from Sun and take 5,000+ before it finally shines...