• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

SheroGH

3,470 SRs for blacephalon #2. My parasect was holding an occa berry for the first 3,460 of those SRs, but then I switched it for a smoke ball. I kept running into 'mons I couldn't run away from immediately. After the millionth time having to wait out four Hyper Voices and two five-hit Bullet Seeds from random trumbeaks, I got completely fed up.

Edit: Another shiny not-blacephalon. This time it's a shiny zoroark after 3,736 soft resets. Male, timid (best nature), likes to relax, with Illusion. Caught in a dive ball.

Let's see what else I find before blacephalon shines.

You know you can use a level 56 synchronizer and not run into any other pokemon, right?

TheMaster327

3,470 SRs for blacephalon #2. My parasect was holding an occa berry for the first 3,460 of those SRs, but then I switched it for a smoke ball. I kept running into 'mons I couldn't run away from immediately. After the millionth time having to wait out four Hyper Voices and two five-hit Bullet Seeds from random trumbeaks, I got completely fed up.

Edit: Another shiny not-blacephalon. This time it's a shiny zoroark after 3,736 soft resets. Male, timid (best nature), likes to relax, with Illusion. Caught in a dive ball.

Let's see what else I find before blacephalon shines.

It's honestly easier to Repel Trick Blacephalon with a level 50-60 sync. That way you're guaranteed to run into Blacephalon.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
You know you can use a level 56 synchronizer and not run into any other pokemon, right?

It's honestly easier to Repel Trick Blacephalon with a level 50-60 sync. That way you're guaranteed to run into Blacephalon.

I am fully aware of the repel trick. However, all my syncs are freshly hatched and lvl 1, and I don't want to waste the time power-leveling them. I'm not particularly worried about Fire Blast... I put blacephalon to sleep immediately and then activate a catch power. Then I can chuck balls at it. The way I'm doing it is fine with me.

4,060 SRs now.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
So, uhm, yeah, I was SRing for the second blacephalon in Poni Grove and after 1,333 SRs I run into a random shiny riolu.

I was wondering if anyone else who'd SR'd the UBs here has had this happen and suddenly BAM! Gold jackal.

Male, timid nature (possible special lucario, since I was syncing for a timid UB Burst), quick tempered, with Steadfast.

That came as one heck of a surprise...

Lucky you, since it could've taken itself out with Final Gambit

Azulart

Shiny Hunter
So hey guys,

HA litten was released and despite I'm done with pokemons I had to MM it because it was on my wish shiny list.

So I was traveling to school in the bus and train and I think I hatched around 30 eggs, no shiny.
I came back home and before I went to sleep I thought lets just finish the job.

To my suprise I noticed my major shiny luck hasnt dead out yet and shiny HA litten with Adamant nature popped out on the 64th egg.
Sweet !

RedJirachi

Veteran member
So hey guys,

HA litten was released and despite I'm done with pokemons I had to MM it because it was on my wish shiny list.

So I was traveling to school in the bus and train and I think I hatched around 30 eggs, no shiny.
I came back home and before I went to sleep I thought lets just finish the job.

To my suprise I noticed my major shiny luck hasnt dead out yet and shiny HA litten with Adamant nature popped out on the 64th egg.
Sweet !

I'm unfamiliar with natures. How come HA Litten having Adamant is a good nature?

Cyberra

pain in the ***
\o/ Woot! Shiny blacephalon #2 after 5,825 SRs! Again, I put him to sleep first (he tried to use Mind Blown but my parasect is Damp), got a Roto Catch going, and the first ball got him.

Sync worked this time and Sparkler is Timid, takes plenty of siestas, and has Beast Boost (of course).

Now I'm going to push on to the Battle Tree to unlock the IV checker, then I've got a couple things I want to breed before I go try and find either nihilego or xurkitree in the ultra wormhole.

TheMaster327

So late last night, my seventh member of the Gold BQ showed up after 5,866 headbutts!

[img139]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/373267652841308168/422176315576418316/20180310_232236.jpg[/img139]

Not the Heracross I wanted, but still this is useful for Fly. And it gets Sniper on transfer, so not all bad.

pumqkaboo

i have a few questions about shiny hunting! this is my first masuda method hunt and it's taking a long time. i have the shiny charm and i have hatched 700 espurrs in moon as of now. my questions are
1) it is possible to get shiny espurr in moon right? as it doesn't appear in the game and (obviously because of that) isn't in the pokedex? sounds like a dumb question but i want to be sure i'm not wasting my time.
2) is MMing a chain? if i take the espurr i've been using to breed out of the nursery and start another hunt will that decrease/reset the chances for espurr?

Manakete-Girl

'Cause Dragon Types
Well wasn't expecting for me not to have Latias level of luck so on first try and 308 eggs I got my female with HA.

https://pre00.deviantart.net/fb21/th/pre/i/2018/070/a/1/shiny_female_ha_popplio__by_empresslunastra-dc5l1fn.jpg

I'm happy with her so HA Litten next.

Opps didn't notice your question.

1) Yes you can MM any pokemon that can breed so Espurr can be.
2) No it's not a chain it's always 1/512 odds so you can have long hunts like my 2,599 egg Vullaby hunt but I don't think you have that bad of luck.

Last edited:

pumqkaboo

Well wasn't expecting for me not to have Latias level of luck so on first try and 308 eggs I got my female with HA.

https://pre00.deviantart.net/fb21/th/pre/i/2018/070/a/1/shiny_female_ha_popplio__by_empresslunastra-dc5l1fn.jpg

I'm happy with her so HA Litten next.

Opps didn't notice your question.

1) Yes you can MM any pokemon that can breed so Espurr can be.
2) No it's not a chain it's always 1/512 odds so you can have long hunts like my 2,599 egg Vullaby hunt but I don't think you have that bad of luck.

aah thanks so much!

Manakete-Girl

'Cause Dragon Types
No problem that reminds me that I need to MM a male HA one so who knows you'll probably have it before I get the HA starter trio done.

Scherzando

scare-TZAN-doe
The other day I found a shiny of my least favorite pokemon in the wild. I caught it in a matching ball and then wonder traded it. :p

Now I'm thinking of SRing for a shiny Type: Null or two. One to keep as a Null and one to evolve. I have unfinished Sun and Ultra Moon games so I could do that...

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
Well, I have been trying to complete my shiny Dialga hunt on my US version so that I can obtain the HA Alola starters and MM them sometime soon. Of course, I do already have shiny flawless EV trained level 100 versions of them without their HA's, but I would prefer to have them with their HA's.
Anyways, I have spent much of the past few days SR'ing on my US for Dialga. Earlier today, I felt like doing some more, so I inserted my X version into my older 3DS and went to the Friend Safari. I considered trying for some shinies that I would actually use, so I went through some steps to obtain a Modest Synchronize Pokémon for the FS hunting.

So, what did I find so far today? A shiny Magmar from my X version FS. I was hoping for a shiny Larvesta, even though I already have a 5IV perfect shiny Volcarona. It would be nice to have a shiny high IV Volcarona that I obtained myself (the one I have now I received as a level 1 Larvesta through a trade), so I went with a FS that had Larvestas (I know I can use Bottle Caps in Generation VII for IVs).
For the shiny Magmar I found, Modest Synchronize did work, and he has 31 IVs in Defense and Special Attack. I plan on seeing what I may be able to do with this guy, including seeing if I feel like training him soon.

Good luck to everyone else on their shinies!

EDIT: Woo. I just caught a shiny Larvesta from that same Friend Safari. Once again, Modest Synchronize worked, and she has 31 IVs in Special Attack and Special Defense. I do not care that it apparently has a low Attack IV, seeing as it is, well, a Larvesta. I plan on thinking about transferring her to my Generation VII games and possibly training her.

EDIT 2: Well, I finally caught that shiny Dialga. After over 40 Ultra Balls and most of my team fainting, I had to use one of my Master Balls. Modest Synchronize did not work, and it is Rash instead. Oh well.
I now have three shiny Dialgas, two which I caught myself (AS and US versions). I can now see what else I want to do, such as collecting and doing some MM'ing for the HA Alola starters and possibly training some of these other new shinies.

EDIT 3: Um...ok then? I just hatched a shiny Litten during my process of getting a 5IV perfect (or 6IV flawless) Adamant HA Litten. First of all, I checked, and this guy has Blaze and not Intimidate. I suppose I will keep going through this process then. I am not even at the 5 or 6 IV HA Litten yet. This shiny Litten has an IV spread of 31/x/(30)/31/31/31. If only he had Intimidate...I have plenty of Bottle Caps.

EDIT 4: What the...I just hatched another shiny Litten. This one was immediately after my only 5IV perfect HA Litten. I hatched two shiny Littens in the time it took to get my next step in my preparation process for hatching a shiny, high IV, HA Litten. Anyways...This guy DOES HAVE Intimidate. WOO? Time to go check his IVs. (This is hilarious...) Ok, his IV spread is x/31/(30)/31/31/31. Definitely useable. I will probably train this guy sometime soon.
Well, now that I have a useable shiny HA Litten (BEFORE even reaching the expected point of starting the MM hunt), I can move on to the other two HA Alola starters I suppose. Woo.

Last edited:

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
omiPCbu.jpg

Hatched a shiny Stufful! Very happy, not perfect stats, but pretty good ones. . ooo I should check nature.

Got a shiny porgon on WT a while back, but I don't think it was legit so I threw it back so someone who doesn't care/think about that can love it.

StrongBad456

Beginning Trainer
Since I last posted, I've hatched a few shinies on Crystal like Eevee and Abra. I tried to hatch a shiny Geodude but it wouldn't shine so I gave up and decided on Zubat as my next shiny. In Ultra Sun, I am trying to breed a shiny HA Rowlet but am having no luck so far. I've been trying for a shiny Rowlet for some time and am just having no luck.

And I know it'd be faster but I don't like the Swap breeding method because I have a habit of saving all the time so I always mess it up. Also I got a shiny Korean Ditto with 6IVs and Pokerus from Wonder Trade awhile back. It's clearly hacked but would it have any negative effect on my Pokemon it would potentially breed with?

Also Good Luck on current and future shiny hunts!

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Since I last posted, I've hatched a few shinies on Crystal like Eevee and Abra. I tried to hatch a shiny Geodude but it wouldn't shine so I gave up and decided on Zubat as my next shiny. In Ultra Sun, I am trying to breed a shiny HA Rowlet but am having no luck so far. I've been trying for a shiny Rowlet for some time and am just having no luck.

And I know it'd be faster but I don't like the Swap breeding method because I have a habit of saving all the time so I always mess it up. Also I got a shiny Korean Ditto with 6IVs and Pokerus from Wonder Trade awhile back. It's clearly hacked but would it have any negative effect on my Pokemon it would potentially breed with?

Also Good Luck on current and future shiny hunts!

A great many 6IV dittos are cloned or hacked. Mine definitely are. But as long as they're from a foreign language version they still work just fine. Usually they're hacked or cloned just so they can be used for breeding. Making them not work would be counter intuitive.

I'm swapping for a shiny magby because I want the shinydex entry when it hatches and not the dex entry for a regular one, because I'm picky and more than a little insane. Also swapping for a shiny gible depending on whether the shiny 'karp that eventually hatches has its HA or not. Though I may also switch in that HA incineroar I got from the bank thing.

Scrufox86

Oh hello all. Congrats to all shinies since my last post. I had no luck getting any shiny eevee. I ended up with 5 shinies but no eevee. Gave up and delete used to hunt elsewhere. Got shiny ekans on silver from breeding red gyarados.tried hatching shiny popplio but no luck yet. And now I am going to try returning to gen IV to see if I can try pokeradar again for eevee.

PsychoKing47

It's been a long while, but I have once again caught the Pokemon bug and will be returning to the series on Thursday, when I'm buying a new 3DS and Sun to get me started. No longer got any of my old shinies as as result, but with the Magikarp swap method I'm going to aim to get a few that I had (definitely Farfetch'd and Sunkern, at the bare minimum) as my first proper hunts. Not sure which Gen 7 shinies I want yet, but I'll check in once I do or once I stumble across one.

It's good to be back, and congrats to everyone on all the recent shinies.

EDIT: First Gen 7 Pokemon I'll try to hunt for will probably be Sandyghast or Dewpider. It would be Mareanie, but from what I've heard it's not easy to get one so that might be more of a challenge.

Last edited: