• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

TheMaster327

I still have a buttload of caterpillars for you... They'll need to be hatched, though XD

Up to 330 magikarp for the first of the critters I'm breeding shiny. Using the HA 'karp and going for the dratini first, since I want a good one to replace the not-good one that randomly hatched on me. Also did some evolving when I had some time to kill after finishing one box of 'karp eggs and didn't have enough time before all my hearts regenned in Shuffle to start another one.

I haven't forgotten about those Scatterbug, it may just be a while before I get around to them again. Currently at 15 calls for the third Caterpie.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I haven't forgotten about those Scatterbug, it may just be a while before I get around to them again. Currently at 15 calls for the third Caterpie.

Just making sure you know they're still there ^_^

Hatching more 'karps for the shiny dratini.

TheMaster327

Third caterpillar after a mammoth 1,277 SOS calls (1,610 calls in all for the line). This one is Rash, so likely to become the Metapod, and the Timid one will be Butterfree.
20180515_221045.jpg

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Didn't really play in March and April, sadly, so almost no progress on my second Blacephalon hunt lol.

I'm resuming my hunt this month though, hopefully I can get it before the end of this month.

Also, I already saved in front of the shrine in Crystal VC, I'm planning to SR for Celebi after my second Blacephalon :D

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
My boy Marion:
7Ew0NXJ.jpg

Via SOS battle. Unfortunately Jolly, but with reasonable stats. I plan to keep him a Meowth anyways though, so it's not like I'll be battling competitively with him.

Congrats to all the new shiny parents, and good luck to those still searching.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Got my shiny dratini after a total of 739 eggs (694 magikarp and the 45 eggs it took to get one with the right nature and IV spread, counting the random shiny that hatched at 10 eggs). Male, everstoned Adamant, alert to sounds, 5IV perfect, with Marvel Scale. He's got Iron Tail, Haze, Mist, and Extreme Speed as egg moves, and hatched in a lure ball. I am very, very pleased :D

Going to switch to my non-HA 'karp now and work on some of the non-HA 'mons I want shiny. Including the salandit that keeps evading me.

PsychoKing47

I've been quite busy since my last post here, with several shinies coming in my copy of Pokemon Sun: first, Mareanie shined after 412 eggs (female, nicknamed Tomoko, although disappointingly had Limber and not Merciless as the ability); then, yesterday, while battling to try and find a Destiny Knot via the Pickup ability, I ran into a random shiny Exeggcute (female, nicknamed Eggsplosive, but I can't decide if I want to evolve into regular or Alolan Exeggutor); and today, while SOS chaining Ditto to get a few with 4 perfect IVs (enough to cover all 6 stats, ideally), I ran into a shiny on the 3rd chain, and 2nd successful one (first one went to 41 Ditto before I caught one, I messed up the second at 23 Ditto, and this one shined at 37 on the 3rd chain, so 101 Ditto overall), although with just my luck it had exactly the same 4 perfect IVs as the other Ditto I had caught earlier.

WeCT0se.jpg

4x8mHVe.jpg

GIVmawR.jpg

Mareanie marks my first successful Masuda Method hunt, and has massively boosted my motivation for those in the future. Next hunt - which I've just started - will be a competitively viable shiny Honedge, which I've currently hatched seven eggs for.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Since I can get as many UBs as I want, I'm going to wait for later to do that. Ultra Wormholes produced me another blue Medicham

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I've been quite busy since my last post here, with several shinies coming in my copy of Pokemon Sun: first, Mareanie shined after 412 eggs (female, nicknamed Tomoko, although disappointingly had Limber and not Merciless as the ability); then, yesterday, while battling to try and find a Destiny Knot via the Pickup ability, I ran into a random shiny Exeggcute (female, nicknamed Eggsplosive, but I can't decide if I want to evolve into regular or Alolan Exeggutor); and today, while SOS chaining Ditto to get a few with 4 perfect IVs (enough to cover all 6 stats, ideally), I ran into a shiny on the 3rd chain, and 2nd successful one (first one went to 41 Ditto before I caught one, I messed up the second at 23 Ditto, and this one shined at 37 on the 3rd chain, so 101 Ditto overall), although with just my luck it had exactly the same 4 perfect IVs as the other Ditto I had caught earlier.

WeCT0se.jpg

4x8mHVe.jpg

GIVmawR.jpg

Mareanie marks my first successful Masuda Method hunt, and has massively boosted my motivation for those in the future. Next hunt - which I've just started - will be a competitively viable shiny Honedge, which I've currently hatched seven eggs for.

I don't think an exeggcute caught in Alola can evolve into a normal exeggutor. I think for that you'd have to transfer one over from an earlier generation. Anything Alolan-caught or bred from something caught in Alola will evolve into the Alolan form if I understand correctly. I'm not even sure a normal exeggcutor can be obtained from breeding a transferred exeggcute. Hopefully another hunter/breeder will know for sure.

PsychoKing47

I don't think an exeggcute caught in Alola can evolve into a normal exeggutor. I think for that you'd have to transfer one over from an earlier generation. Anything Alolan-caught or bred from something caught in Alola will evolve into the Alolan form if I understand correctly. I'm not even sure a normal exeggcutor can be obtained from breeding a transferred exeggcute. Hopefully another hunter/breeder will know for sure.

My understanding of it was that, in Ultra Sun and Moon (which I don't admittedly have yet), you could get the non-Alolan forms of Pokemon such as Exeggutor if you evolve them while in Ultra Space, but is this not actually the case? If not, Alolan Exeggutor will be what I'll have to have, I suppose.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
My understanding of it was that, in Ultra Sun and Moon (which I don't admittedly have yet), you could get the non-Alolan forms of Pokemon such as Exeggutor if you evolve them while in Ultra Space, but is this not actually the case? If not, Alolan Exeggutor will be what I'll have to have, I suppose.

I really don't know. I've never tried. Another shiny hunter with more experience might know, though.

TheMaster327

I really don't know. I've never tried. Another shiny hunter with more experience might know, though.

Anything with an Alolan evolution but is not Alolan itself will evolve into it's Kantonian counterpart if the requirements are met in an Ultra Wormhole. So a Cubone reaching level 28 in Ultra Space will become Ground Marowak, and a Thunderstone on Pikachu will result in Kantonian Raichu.

At 80 Weedle hatched and counting.

EDIT: First Weedle at 108 eggs!
20180517_193038.jpg

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I have managed to get a shiny Golbat randomly. This is my third shiny Golbat randomly at this point

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
So I was hunting for a shiny Eevee in my Normal Safari and I found a shiny Dunsparce! Even though she wasn't the shiny I was looking for, at least she was still the first shiny I encountered in the Friend Safari. She has a Quirky Nature and perfect IVs in Attack and Defense.

HdIed7n.png

ArcanineRaichu77

Shiny Hunter,Bookworm and BVB fan~
What's that hopping around in the grass? A shiny golden tadpole!
Q8cNSu8.jpg
:D

After a short 5808 RE's on my White BQ, a shiny Tympole appeared! I was going for Panpour for my second shiny but I messed up...I took a good female after around 50 sr's, thinking I could MM as soon as I got to the daycare. Turns out you need to reach Nimbasa to put two pokemon in the daycare and I saved after taking the Panpour...I felt pretty silly after but what's done is done so I moved to outside Pinwheel Forest hoping for Tympole as my team needs a water type.

Last Monday night this beauty showed :D. I caught the colour difference and the sparkles right away and freaked out, another under odds hunt! He was a bit of a pain to capture, the bugger kept avoiding my Watchog Scout's hypnosis and confused me with Supersonic. After a while I was able to catch him :). I named him Croikle, after a frog in a book I just finished re-reading.

LXPtEQE.jpg

He is quirky, which is fabulous as it changes no stats, and I don't really mind what natures my shinies get. Also, a lot of my shinies have neutral natures xD. Sorry I was a bit late with posting this, real life and all. I am so happy with Croikle <3. My next hunt on this game is in Pinwheel Forest inner, hoping most for a Venipede, but Sewaddle and Petilil would also be nice.

Congrats on those lovely shinies guys, some nice ones since my last post :) Also, I recently got a pre-owned gba sp, so I've been working on my Oddish hunt for my Firered BQ once again. Best of luck, guys! *hugs my shiny Tympole* :D

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Anything with an Alolan evolution but is not Alolan itself will evolve into it's Kantonian counterpart if the requirements are met in an Ultra Wormhole. So a Cubone reaching level 28 in Ultra Space will become Ground Marowak, and a Thunderstone on Pikachu will result in Kantonian Raichu.

At 80 Weedle hatched and counting.

EDIT: First Weedle at 108 eggs!
20180517_193038.jpg

Thank you for clarifying ^_^

Up to 660 eggs for the next gold karp. If it hatches female, I'll try the salandit. If the salandit hatches male or if the karp itself is male, it'll be a shiny magby. Not too bothered about nature for this one; I just want the shinydex entries for magby and eventually magmortar, so I'm just going to stick in the Flame Body magmar I'm using for hatching. The one after this, if male or fails to produce a female salandit, will be an elekid.

Raicario

Pokemon hybrid
currently sr'ing for a shiny cresselia in ultra sun, I'm at just over 250 sr's and still bupkis. Hoping to see the star flash across my screen soon! :)

Also, I managed to hatch my first ever egg shiny in ultra sun a few months ago! Shiny Own Tempo Rockruff after a mere ten eggs! Some would say that's lucky, I'd say it's arse-y!

ChaoticInverse

<--31,000 incounting
Hey guys, I'm back with my first shiny in a long time.

The other day I finally fixed the dry battery on my ruby cartridge and decided to start sr-ing. I'm thinking about going for a badge quest so I started sr-ing for mudkip and it shone after a meager 1,132 srs. Way faster than my shiny torchic saga and no poocheynas!!

His name is Clarke after the show I was watching and he's impish natured which I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Congrats on all the shinies and good luck everyone!!

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Another random shiny during my level grinding. It's a Machoke. Now, I am stuck in the Blacephalon search. As I have plenty of TV recorded, I think I'm going to use it as a time to SR for the Pokemon. I am definitely using the Master Ball here, since the other "limited" Pokemon can't self-destruct.