• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Managed to SR Ho-oh succsesfully. I had one, but it was by trade so it's nice to have one I earned. I'll be going after Tornadus next

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Is trying to shiny hunt for a Gen 1 shiny really worth it? You have to catch it(only one Master Ball per save file), check its stats and then SR again. Seems too much of an effort
It's a shorter soft reset time than most starters and has the same odds as any other full odds hunts. It's pretty easy to control the nature they get when they are transferred into Bank and they are guaranteed to have 3+ perfect IVs and their hidden ability. I'd say yes, it certainly is if you want those pokemon shiny and have the patience for it. As Echo said, you can always duplicate your Master Ball using the missingno glitch.

TheMaster327

So I got my third bird today after a decent 499 eggs. 4,537 for the line though, so these birds made me work for them! Next is Rattata which I'm breeding in Gold VC using my shiny Raticate. 5 eggs so far because egg gathering is SO SLOW!
20180612_150935.jpg

Last edited:

Phillies

Question for everyone. I have been trying to breed for a shiny Smoochum in Pokemon Gold. I collected about 5 boxes and then the pokemon just stopped breeding. Does anyone know what happened?

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
could just be unlucky, but maybe remove one and put it back. I know it's only a chance for an egg to appear every 256 steps, but after a whole box of eggs, it seems very unlikely for there to not be an egg yet.

TheMaster327

So that was a smart move. After only 60 eggs, a shiny rat popped out!
20180613_165503.jpg

After transferring the following to Ultra Sun, next job for me is SOS a Spearow!
20180613_181650.jpg
20180613_181704.jpg

EDIT: Well that didn't take too long! After only 127 SOS calls a yellow winged bird showed up to help! It ended up being a Calm nature which is terrible but as it's staying a Spearow, that's fine. On to the snakes tomorrow!
20180613_233153.jpg

Last edited:

TheMaster327

So I decided to go for Ekans in Gold's Game Corner because the SOS Ekans moveset isn't ideal. 46 SRs later and 230 bought, this shows up.
20180614_201410.jpg

So that's the first snek done already. Will be going for a second one here as well because same reason as the first one!

EDIT: So the second one took a little longer. 359 SRs, 1,795 bought! You can see they're different though because of the different HP stats.
20180615_223157.jpg

Next I'll likely SR Surfing Pika, but need to beat Master Course of Mantine Surf first!

EDIT: Well, that's a super-quick Surfing Pikachu after only 586 SRs!!!
20180618_221606.jpg

Synced it Hasty for a mixed Pika. Gonna be SOSing the second one, then return to Pichu later on.

Last edited:

PsychoKing47

Been thinking about my hunts for the last day or two and am opting for a few changes: for one, I'm not going to SR for a shiny starter to start my Crystal Badge Quest and, by extension, am giving up SR hunting forever as I absolutely detest it (way too tedious, easy RSI risk and easy to accidentally skip over the shiny without realising, which is just too painful to even ponder). As such, the first target in that will be a shiny Sentret, and I won't be ending on Celebi as originally planned.
As for the shiny Durant hunt, it's being a stubborn little ant and, if I don't get it in another 50 eggs, I'm planning to stop hatching and try to get one via Horde Hunting in Y, as that seems infinitely easier and infinitely less tedious, even if I have to go through several steps of set-up first (a Magnet Pull Pokemon, one with Sweet Scent, one with False Swipe etc.).

The plan after that finishes - 0ne way or the other - is to SOS hunt for a shiny Bruxish in Sun, but most of this is going to progress slowly while I'm focusing on trying to play through Ultra Moon. Either way, I feel as if this is the best approach to maintain my shiny hunting motivation, as the tediousness of Soft Resetting and hatching dozens of near-perfect Durant eggs was seriously wearing me down (I know neither are especially long hunts yet, but I've never liked Soft Resetting on previous tries so me giving up on that is unsurprising, and I'm almost at the odds for Durant via Masuda Method so that's not helping my motivation).

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Shiny frikkin' female salandit after a total of 1,537 eggs, and almost a dozen tries!

Every time I shiny swap breed, when the shiny hatches female I tried salandit first. Even if the shiny was male, if females hatched after it I would reject eggs until I got to the females, hatch them, and see what gender the shiny salandit was (because if you reject the original shiny egg the shiny value passes to the next egg. this can be done up to 8 times before the shiny value rolls off. not many people seem to know this). Every time I've gotten a male, so I reset and put something else in. But this time, it WORKED!

Lady Venom is female, timid nature, 31/xx/xx/31/31/31, somewhat vain, with Corrosion, and she's in a beast ball. I'm so happy ^w^

Next up I'll be swapping for a HA darumaka. Why a HA darumaka, when HA darmanitan is next to useless? Well, why not? I've also noticed that the Serebii main site dex entries for darmanitan only have an image of the shiny zen form for Gen 5 but not X/Y/OR/AS/S/M/US/UM. So I will be emailing them a picture so they can correct this.

And I just want a HA darmanitan. 'Nuff said.

Edit: Well. That didn't take long. Only 40 eggs after salandit, I got a shiny HA darumaka. He's modest nature and capable of taking hits, 31/xx/31/31/xx/31, with Inner Focus.

Up next: going to get a karrablast ready, then breed both it and shelmet shiny

Last edited:

Vale_Star

Shiny Huntress
Not sure what's up with my luck but I loaded up Ultra Moon today and went on a wormhole hunt and found this:

w4wFf6q.jpg

And then I got bored after I caught him and a Virizion so I went back to my egg breeding for a HA Gligar and on the THIRD egg:

t0zykuv.jpg

I love his colours, and he got the HA Immunity so this blue Fly Scorpio is never getting poisoned! I guess you could say my shiny egg hatching being so low will happen only once in a Blue Moon...XD

TheMaster327

So the first of the green shrews shows itself after 288 eggs! These shrews will be hatched Jolly and have Crush Claw as an egg move. On to getting the second one!
20180622_134304.jpg

EDIT: Well that was fast. Second one showed up after a further 96 eggs! Fun hunt next, 6x Nidoran with no guarantee of gender...
20180622_172248.jpg

Last edited:

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Anyone in NA miss out on a shiny Zygarde code? I still have 2 spare codes.

Update: codes going to Vale_Star and Zero1999

Last edited:

Vale_Star

Shiny Huntress

PsychoKing47

Having gotten bored of trying to get one via Masuda Method, I went Horde hunting on Y today for a shiny Durant and, 109 Hordes later, one finally popped up. Nicknamed Duran Durant, he has Gentle nature and Swarm ability, neither of which are especially good. Not sure what its IVs are, but I can't imagine them being fantastic in the circumstances (EDIT: As expected, no perfect IVs, and none even close to it).

1M9O5xT.jpg

o7ZHUgU.jpg

Got a few ideas on what to hunt next while I also work through Ultra Moon, such as making a start on my Crystal Badge Quest with some Random Encounters for Shiny Sentret, SOS hunting Bruxish in Sun and Horde hunting Yanma in Y.

EDIT: Well, that was quick. On an SOS chain of 109, a Shiny Bruxish appeared for me (seriously, what are the odds of two shinies in the same day in the exact same number of encounters, especially for the first time I've encountered two in one day?). He's a Level 21 male called Pizza Fish, has the Naive nature, Dazzling ability and perfect IVs in HP, Atk, Def and Spd. So I'm pretty happy with that, as I could competitively train it and make something out of it.

lrYjCXO.jpg

Ik55bv0.jpg

6QZZUxO.jpg

1ENmuH4.jpg

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I did some running around in a dark safari in Y while I was out, before the battery died (it doesn't hold a charge anymore. I have a replacement battery coming). Caught another shiny sneasel and an inkay. Will transfer them ahead to US later.

720 eggs and counting for karrablast.

Edit: Shiny karrablast after 783 eggs. He's male, named Lancelot, adamant nature, 5IV perfect, somewhat vain, and has Shed Skin.

Now I'll reset the egg count and breed for shelmet.

I also got a third shiny sneasel in Y's friend safari. This one is male; the other two were female.

Last edited: