• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Wow the Shiny Charm really makes a difference.

Found 5 shinies today.

2 Spearow, caught both of them. Named one Sparrow and the other Fearless.

2 Rattata, caught one and ran away from the other.(Already have Raticate) Named it Hanta.

Then finally, caught my target, Ekans. Named him Trowzer.

Gonna go for Diglett now.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Two more non-target shinies from the friend safari. I'd moved to my other hariyama safari in hopes of avoiding duplicates, but instead I caught a shiny mankey (male, quirky nature, Defiant) and throh (male, adamant nature, Inner Focus). Still no hariyama. Sigh...

Bagon is at 488 eggs and counting

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Got a Chansey when going for Diglett.

Decided to get Lickitung after that and got it REALLY quickly. Just about 30mins after getting a 31 chain.

Nicknamed him Lemonhead.

Gonna go for Psyduck next.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I'd decided to switch things up and try horde hunting for makuhita in Omega Ruby. I'd expected to get at least one zubat in trying. Instead, I got the shiny makuhita. Male, docile nature, scatters things often, with Guts. Gonna send it and my shinies from Y ahead to US and resume hatching bagon.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
congrats on all the recent shinies!

I went for my Squirtle trio before I started Charmander. I got my modest, 4 IV Squirtle after getting my 200 Squirtle candy, and got 2 others from the Go Park. Before my first chain got very far, I caught a shiny Magikarp that appeared. after a decent chain of squirtle was underway, I had to run from a shiny Psyduck. No other non-targets appeared.

I have since defeated the Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Venusaur, Squirtle, Wartortle, and Blastoise master trainers. I have to say going through in pokedex order hunting to fill the shiny dex and defeat the masters at the same time is a fun process.

I got my Charmander chain to almost 120. Got plenty of Charmander candy for both my Charizard Y and Charizard X, so now just waiting for some shinies to show up. I currently have Madam Celadon set to Adamant. Haven't had to run from or ignore any non-targets on this hunt yet.

Edit: I have now run from the following shinies:
Ekans
Spearow
Rattata

Good luck on your hunts!

Last edited:

TheMaster327

So last night I FINALLY got my second Rhyhorn after a mahoosive 2,721 eggs! This one has Rock Head and is 5IV missing Defense. Will become a Rhydon. As I have a shiny Chansey from SOS level grinding some time back, next is Tangela, which will be hunted in Gold VC.
20181212_221336.jpg

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Shiny bagon after 1,399 eggs. Female, jolly nature, capable of taking hits, with Rock Head. 5IVs missing Speed, but I can bottle cap that. She's got the egg moves Dragon Pulse, Hydro Pump, Dragon Dance, and Thrash, and hatched in a beast ball.

I have my Christmas hunts all figured out: First up are two, (yes, TWO) shiny xurkitree, to be named Donner and Blitzen ('thunder' and 'lightning' in German, for those who don't know), then a winter-forme sawsbuck (Rudolph), and then crabrawler.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Since my last post I've gotten Psyduck, Vulpix, Tentacool, Kakuna, and Weedle.

Did a bit of money runs so I could get more Poke Balls now I'm back in Viridian Forest chaining up Caterpie.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Shiny xurkitree #1 (Donner) after only 28 SRs! If only I could get eggs to hatch that fast... Lol

Sync failed and Donner is quiet nature, somewhat vain, with Beast Boost. 31/xx/31/xx/31/xx. Eh...

Quick pit stop to heal my smeargle and then back in after Blitzen.

I also caught a shiny xatu in the friend safari earlier, while farming the Christmas event in Terraria

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
After Charmander, I comboed for Weedle. Now I have the 3 shinies and 200 Weedle Candy I was after and I didn't have to run away from any non-targets! I'm using my Weedle combo to hopefully find a shiny Tauros or Pinsir on Route 15 before I go back to Viridian Forest for some shiny Caterpie.

Ended up with a shiny Tauros!

Last edited:

TheMaster327

Weird, thought I posted here, but must've forgotten. Last night my charmed Gold VC gave me a shiny Tangela after ONLY 964 REs!
20181215_200144.jpg

Easy to catch, Mean Looked it, Hypnosis and a few Night Shades, three Fast Balls, done. It's now transferred with a Bold nature.

Currently at 411 SOS calls for Kangaskhan (Cubone SOS).

TokoyamiTheDark

The Purple Karakasa
Earlier this month I started to play Pokémon Pearl all over again. While in the Great Marsh loafing around, I found a Skorupi so I threw a Safari ball and caught it on the 1st try. But because I was playing during nighttime my volume on my 3ds was off, I didn't noticed the Skorupi was CRIMSON RED. Yes, I got a shiny without even noticing it :p
Next on my list : ANY spider-like Pokémon bred in Masuda method in Sun/Moon or US/UM.

Draknir

Fear the Deer
Congrats to everyone who's gotten Shinies since my last post back in May!

Since then, I've gotten (Not necessarily in order):
Rattata-91 Eggs in Crystal
Azelf-1500 encounters exactly in Ultra Sun
Guzzlord-973 encounters in Ultra Sun
Articuno-1544 encounters in Ultra Sun
Alolan Rattata-181 SOS encounters in Ultra Moon
Crabrawler-32 SOS encounters in Ultra Moon
Spinarak-31 SOS encounters in Ultra Moon
Mime Jr.-296 SOS encounters in Ultra Moon
Alolan Meowth-97 SOS encounters in Ultra Moon

Since I didn't record anything for these hunts in Let's Go Eevee, I've gotten:
Bulbasaur, Caterpie Metapod, 3 Weedle, Pidgey, Rattata, Vulpix, Magnemite, Chansey, and Graveler. I also intentionally failed a Kakuna and Pidgey while hunting for my Bulbasaur because they're so easy to get again (One of the Weedle became the Kakuna anyway).

Finally, I've also gotten several Shinies in GO:
Roselia, 3 Plusle, Aerodactyl, Bulbasaur, Charmander, 3 Beldum, 2 Dratini, 3 Chikorita, 2 Cyndaquil, Pikachu, and Eevee. The Aerodactyl, Pikachu, and Eevee went to Let's Go Eevee before I learned just how easy Shiny hunting was in these games.

When I get Let's Go Pikachu in a week, I plan to do a Shiny Badge Quest in it, though I might want to look into automating Alolan trades for it because I've already decided on what I want to hunt for.

EDIT: I was grinding in an X Nuzlocke and I found a Shiny Illumise. Not gonna lie. I'm a little disappointed. I found a Shiny Illumise in the exact same game on the exact same route in another X Nuzlocke variant. I caught it though, since it's always awesome using a Shiny in a Nuzlocke.

Last edited:

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Caterpie Shinies are being stubborn. I'm at a combo of 94 and got all the Caterpie Candy I need, but none of the 3 shiny Caterpie yet. So far I have run away from the following shinies while on this combo:

Pidgey
Kakuna
Weedle
Weedle
Weedle
Bellsprout
Bulbasaur

I did manage to beat the Weedle Master with one of my shiny Weedle while I was gathering Caterpie Candy. She has since evolved and will soon take on the Kakuna Master.

Got my first Caterpie shortly after accidentally breaking my combo and getting back to 31. Two more to go.

Caterpie #2 followed shortly after. I will gladly take a 3rd Caterpie or a Metapod now.

Caterpie #3 was caught! Now to decide which one gets the Caterpie Candy and will face the master trainers.

Used my Caterpie combo to catch a shiny Staryu on Route 21! I tried to get it in a Premier Ball, but it wouldn't stick and I switched to an Ultra Ball when it made the flee motion.

I can move on to Pidgey and it should go pretty quickly, because I already have a pair of shiny Pidgey. I just need to get the 200 candies and find a decent IV shiny Pidgey to move on.

Good luck on your hunts!

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Shiny xurkitree #2 (Blitzen) after 4,805 SRs! Sync finally worked and it is timid nature and takes plenty of siestas, with Beast Boost. 3IVs, 31/31/31/xx/xx/xx, so it missed both of the important stats XP

Up next is sawsbuck. I'll be breeding for a HA winter forme sawsbuck in a luxury ball

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Got a Caterpie finally, then about 2 minutes later Shiny Kakuna popped up too.

Now I've got the Weedle like complete, taking a break from Viridian and I'm in Rock Tunnel now hunting Kangaskhan.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Hey everyone, anyone here wants Community Hunt to return from next January?

Anyway, after a quite long time of no new shiny......I finally managed to enter Level 4 White Wormhole for the very first time. Less than an hour later......

36v7J7i.png

pTed80R.png

:D

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Good for you. I went to Guzzlord first, just to get it over and done with. You'll have an easier time with the other four I can assure you

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I was running around the friend safari today while farming presents in Terraria, and I finally got the shiny drowzee I was in there after. Now in US and a shiny hypno for my dex. Male, impish, somewhat vain, with Inner Focus.

I then moved over to a normal safari to hunt aipom, since I need both it and ambipom. Instead I got three freaking shiny minccino within an hour. Female and naive with Technician, male and impish with Cute Charm, , and female and docile with Cute Charm. I already have an evolved shiny minccino, so these three will be going into the wonder trade system later tonight

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Unfortunately, I did not get Kangaskhan but instead got a Graveler.

Been a bit miffed about Shiny Hunting in Let's Go and with Ultimate taking over for me, I've returned to USUM hunting, most notably, my Nihilego hunt.

Got it last night after ~20 soft resets, very happy about this one! Quirky nature, nicknamed it Venomenon.(After it's little speech bubble thing) Which, let's be real here, would've been a much better name than Nihilego.

Going for Seel now as my Christmas hunt. Was originally going to breed for Amaura, but it appears my breeding Ditto is on a different game.