• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

TheMaster327

So I got this 3 days ago. Mime Jr. for Mr. Mime after 146 SOS calls! Ended up Adamant which is shocking for a Mime to have, and also got Technician, but don't think it'll help that much. Currently at 121 SOS calls for Scyther. It takes a while.
20190103_204247.jpg

EDIT: That's the shiny Scyther finally after 132 SOS calls with a 3 call rate! That caller was still decimating my substitutes even at -6 Attack! Jolly Sync worked and it has Technician!
20190106_124131.jpg

EDIT2: Shiny Smoochum for Jynx after only 53 SOS calls! 4IV Lax nature with Oblivious.
20190106_153016.jpg

EDIT3: 3 in 1 day! Shiny Elekid for Electabuzz after 242 SOS calls!!!
20190106_195845.jpg

Modest Sync worked and it has Static. 4IV missing Attack and Sp. Def.

Last edited:

TheMaster327

Shiny Magby for Magmar after 428 SOS calls! The Happiny throughout this chain gave me a lot of scares! And by all means, ArcanineRaichu. It's what this thread is here for after all!
20190107_224410.jpg

Draknir

Fear the Deer
Congrats to everyone who got shinies since mid-December!

As I previously mentioned, I started a Shiny Badge Quest in Let's Go Pikachu, and I am currently 5 Pokemon in.

I got a Pikachu on Christmas Day after having started a chain on Christmas Eve. This was followed the next day by getting a Modest Clefairy (It's funny. It just didn't want to show up, so I was like, "What, do I need to catch another one?" and immediately after the Shiny popped up). After that, I got a Shiny Drowzee the day after that. And then, the day after that, I got a female Growlithe fairly early into the hunt. That was 4 Shiny Badge Quest Pokemon in as many days.

During this time, I had found a dumb way of automating Alolan Trades and traded 2800 Alolan Rattata in Let's Go Eevee but haven't gotten it yet. I took a break from it when I beat Erika in Pikachu to hunt for my fifth Pokemon, Alolan Sandshrew. After <4000 trades I got it, and it's Adamant (Trash IV's, though). It was a very nice early birthday present for me. In my excitement, I didn't think to actually find out how exactly how many Sandshrew I traded (I was trading 400 in a batch and waited until this batch ended to check.)

I'm going to move onto Shellder after this, because I haven't taken one to the Elite Four before.

Hello, everyone! It's been a while!

Since my Dratini hunt I took a break from shiny hunting because I honestly didn't know what to hunt for the rest of my Heartgold badgequest. To be honest, there's not a lot of things I want to hunt in Heartgold. So I cancelled the rest of my BQ. Then I didn't feel like hunting in other games anymore. But I recently got back into it when I got Let's Go! Eevee. My love started again when I found a shiny Caterpie within the first hour of playing the game. I got 7 seven badges now, but I already wanted to start hunting. First thing I wanted to hunt for is Mr. Mime. For some reason, I really like the lime green.

(Just a note, I'm not doing the catch combos while hunting because I prefer full odds hunting.)

First phase I didn't count how many Pokemon I saw. I was too anxious to start. I estimate it was probably around 4000, though. I figured the first thing I was going to find was either going to be a Pidgey or a Rattata. And I was right because I found a shiny Pidgey. Second phase I was expecting a Pidgey or a Rattata again because there's so many on this Route. But I was surprised after around 2870 Pokemon seen (I tried to keep a close tally), I found a shiny Mr. Mime. And... it ran from me pretty quickly. Bummer... Well, I wasn't giving up so I tried again. Darn it, another Pidgey at 588 seen! And tonight, after going a little over the odds I found a shiny Drowzee at 4638 seen. You know what, I can live with that. I'll take a shiny Drowzee over another shiny Pidgey.

I'm going to try a little longer before I go to bed. I'm not giving up! I want that green clown!

Happy hunting!

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I have managed to get a shiny Landorus. This makes it a good fit for my next hunts, that being shiny Raikou and Dialga. Searching for the wormhole as also gotten me a shiny Altaria

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Shiny skrelp after 674 eggs!

I'm doing some passive leveling of my UM team in preparation to take on the League and get into the post-game. So I'm hatching eggs in US.

Skrelp is female, modest nature, takes plenty of siestas, 31/31/31/31/xx/31, and has her HA, Adaptability. I'm quite pleased.

Dream ball HA staryu next, to become a starmie for my dex.

I've also decided on my first SR hunt in UM: Type: Null. I will be braving the dialogue and going for it when Wicke appears at the Ancient Poni Path. I faced the cutscenes for shiny litten in both Sun and Ultra Sun; this dialogue scene is short in comparison.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Shiny skrelp after 674 eggs!

I'm doing some passive leveling of my UM team in preparation to take on the League and get into the post-game. So I'm hatching eggs in US.

Skrelp is female, modest nature, takes plenty of siestas, 31/31/31/31/xx/31, and has her HA, Adaptability. I'm quite pleased.

Nice to get a 5 IVs shiny. I hope you have plans to train her into a serious competitive battler!

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Nice to get a 5 IVs shiny. I hope you have plans to train her into a serious competitive battler!

I do intend to train her, but as I don't battle competitively you won't see her battling online. She has the wrong IV spread for HP Fire, which from what I've read is generally recommended; she'd have HP Steel instead. But she will be helping me thrash opponents in-game.

37 eggs so far for staryu

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
I do intend to train her, but as I don't battle competitively you won't see her battling online. She has the wrong IV spread for HP Fire, which from what I've read is generally recommended; she'd have HP Steel instead. But she will be helping me thrash opponents in-game.

37 eggs so far for staryu

That's the problem with lacking HP Fire. You get walled so easily by Steel-types.

Good luck with the Staryu, though.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Shiny staryu after 342 eggs. That didn't take too long.

Staryu is timid, somewhat vain, with its HA Analytic, and hatched in a dream ball. 4IVs missing Atk and Speed. But that's why bottle caps exist.

I'm going to pull my UM team out of Pelago and send them back to Ultra Moon now, so I can take on the League and get set up for Type: Null, then stakataka, and then into the wormholes after pheromosa and celesteela

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Anybody got some tips for a good SOS Pokemon?

I hate using my Smeargle, especially for higher leveled wild encounters, and I often times forget to use Leppas on my other Pokemon resulting in them using Struggle and more often than not, KO'ing the Pokemon I had Skill Swapped Harvest and given a Leppa.

I'm thinking maybe another Harvest mon?

This Sandshrew has been kicking my butt because of this.

So, the day after I posted I got my shiny Mr. Mime after around 2296 seen. I was sure it wasn't getting away from me and I successfully caught it! It's female and it was tiny. I was hoping for a male, but I'm not going to complain. I have to say, the lime green looks particularly nice in Let's Go! Eevee. It's probably one of few green shinies that I actually like.

Moving on I decided that my next hunt is going to be shiny Vulpix. Ninetails is one of my all time favourite shinies and I'm not sure why I don't have one yet. I'm at 200 encounters and I'm seeing a lot so hopefully it will be only one phase.

On another note. I decided to finally buy Pokemon Crystal on VC. While deciding my team I knew I wanted to hatch a Tyrogue from the odd egg so I could have a Hitmontop for my team. I did know the egg had a 14% chance of hatching a shiny, so I wasn't interested in getting a shiny. I just wanted a Tyrogue so I could evolve it into my favourite Pokemon. I hatched the egg 10 times before I got my Tyrogue and my luck was crazy! 6th time was a shiny Cleffa. 8th time was a shiny Igglybuff. 9th time was a shiny Cleffa again. And... my Tyrogue hatched into a shiny! What?! I know the chance is 14% but, wow, I hatched 3 shinies in a row!

That being said, I still want to hunt the Karate King's gift Tyrogue later in the game even though I got a shiny Tyrogue from the egg.

Happy hunting!

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Congrats on the recent shinies!

Sunday I was dual hunting Johto Starters in SS while watching for shiny Rattata to appear in Let's Go. Got my two Rattata I needed for the living shiny dex and got shiny Totodile!! I finally completed the trio after about 1 1/2 years and finding 3 Chikorita and 2 Cyndaquil before.

Totodile ended up with a Naive nature, which I'm very happy with. I played through HG with the shiny Cyndaquil I got in July, but didn't play it as a SBQ. I definitely want to with SS, along with completing the pokedex. My next target will likely be Mareep at Route 32.

Good luck on your hunts!

TheMaster327

Shiny Tauros after 539 eggs! Jolly and 5IV missing Speed. Choice Scarf could fix that though.
20190116_142933.jpg

Currently at 38 calls for Magikarp.

EDIT: Golden Karp #1 after 362 SOS calls!! 4IV Modest (Jolly sync failed).
20190116_213742.jpg

EDIT2: Second Karp after 238 calls! This one female and Jolly, is now a Gyarados!
20190117_205910.jpg
20190117_220709.jpg

20190117_221254.jpg

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I have managed to SR a Raikou. This time around, I'm reclaiming shiny Dialga. In my way to the Ultra Wormhole, I encountered a shiny Drapion. I only have a few shiny legendaries left in Ultra Sun that I have not caught personally, ignoring Regice for being awful

TheGiratina999

Love shiny hunting
Yikes, been an age. I started a hunt for a shiny Dialga last April, made it to around 1850 SRs before I got caught up with college work. I restarted the hunt during the break, and at 1951 SRs, it finally came: the sparkles of a shiny Dialga! God I'm so excited by this, I've always wanted a shiny legendary, and how fitting that the first one I've ever gotten is the one from the first Pokemon game I ever played.

Good luck to everyone else on their hunts, and good luck RedJirachi on your shiny Dialga hunt, too!

Draknir

Fear the Deer
Congrats to everyone's Shinies since my last post!

My Let's Go Pikachu Shiny Badge Quest is now complete. After a grueling 25+ hour hunt for a Shiny Shellder, I, unfortunately, ended up with a Shiny Tentacool. I say unfortunately only because it wasn't what I wanted. Still caught it. Then, after beating Sabrina, I completed my Dex before starting to hunt for Shellder again. Less than 30 minutes after getting to 31, I got my Shiny Shellder. Then, I technically got three Shinies before Giovanni. I was grinding for Pikachu Candy when a Shiny Pikachu popped up at a 17 combo. Then, I started grinding for Clefairy Candy and got a Shiny Geodude at a combo of <30. After that, I got a Zubat on a combo of <10. In the spirit of the challenge, I only counted one of those three (Particularly Geodude because Pikachu was a duplicate). After getting the necessary Clefairy Candy to max out my Clefable (I had enough of Drowzee, Growlithe, Sandshrew, and Shellder Candy from hunting those), I beat Giovanni and took that chain back to the Seafoam Islands. Why? Because I swear, while hunting Shellder, a Shiny Squirtle was about to spawn as I was going down a ladder to reset things. I can't be certain I wasn't just being paranoid, but I figured it'd be fitting for my last hunt to be a (possible) reclaim. And, just a few moments ago, I got my Shiny Squirtle. In a pretty nice twist, the last Pokemon for my Badge Quest has the same nature as my first.

Basically, here's how my Badge Quest ended up:

Brock-Pikachu
Misty-Clefairy
Lt. Surge-Drowzee
Erika-Growlithe
Koga-Alolan Sandshrew (My personal favorite of this challenge)
Sabrina-Tentacool (My personal LEAST favorite of this challenge)
Blaine-Shellder
Giovanni-Pikachu/Geodude/Zubat
Elite Four-Squirtle (Possible reclaim, gonna count it as one)

I'll probably start hunting the Pikachu exclusives soon before switching back to Eevee, as its my main game.