• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Raicario

Pokemon hybrid
Currently SOS'ing for a Shiny Chansey in Ultra Sun, and I'm not even bothering with keeping track of how many calls are made. It just makes it more tedious than it needs to be, and besides, I realized that when I DO do it, I always have a MAJOR screw-up moment and have to start all over again! By the way, why does a Chansey using Fling with a Leppa Berry do super effective damage against my Victini?

TheMaster327

Currently SOS'ing for a Shiny Chansey in Ultra Sun, and I'm not even bothering with keeping track of how many calls are made. It just makes it more tedious than it needs to be, and besides, I realized that when I DO do it, I always have a MAJOR screw-up moment and have to start all over again! By the way, why does a Chansey using Fling with a Leppa Berry do super effective damage against my Victini?

Fling is a Dark type move.

As for me, still going for the ID in Yellow that allows Mew to transfer. Closest I've been is 22797 which is only one number off what's needed.

Raicario

Pokemon hybrid
Fling is a Dark type move.

As for me, still going for the ID in Yellow that allows Mew to transfer. Closest I've been is 22797 which is only one number off what's needed.

I... honestly forgot that Fling was Dark-Type...

On a slightly more sour note, I've been going non-stop since my last post, and STILL haven't had a Shiny Chansey appear!

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Shiny oddish in the friend safari. Female, quiet nature, somewhat vain, with Chlorophyll. She'll be a bellossom when I transfer her forward.

450 eggs for absol and counting. Would be higher, but I get sidetracked helping people with tough monster fights in Monster Hunter: World or using guides on YouTube to find collectibles in awkward places in Darksiders II

Still hatching Magikarp eggs for the swap method for either a shiny salandit (if it's female) or a shiny porygon (if it's male)

On another note, I managed to pull off the tweaking glitch in pokemon diamond and reach Darkrai via it. I know the Darkrai obtained by this isn't considered legit, but the urge to soft reset for a shiny one is really big so I think I'll do that as a side hunt. Will probably take an eternity since it's gen 4 full odds.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Still working on soft resetting for a shiny Cyndaquil in Silver version, it's well over 300 hours now. It's being very, very stubborn. Not giving up on it though. Hoping to do some more work tonight.

Woo hoo! Just got a shiny Vulpix in Pokemon Quest!

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Shiny oddish #2 and shiny sawsbuck spring forme from the safari. Both are female, the oddish hasty with Run Away and the sawsbuck naive with Sap Sipper. Couldn't resist naming the sawsbuck "Bambi" even though it's female.

600 eggs for absol and counting

Edit: Shiny quilladin from the safari. male, lax nature and mischievous, with overgrow. Moving on now.

Last edited:

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I"ve gotten some more shinies in UltraMoon while trying to get all the obtainable legendaries in UltraSpace (all I need yet is guzzlord and the legendaries you get with specific legendaries in your party, like rayquaza and suicine). As I'm off for four days (after working eight in a row), I can do a bunch of trading and encounters to fill my pokedex, so I should get some more shinies this week. While getting another shiny magcargo, medicham, and nuzleaf, this is the first time I've ever gotten a shiny grumpig, and I got two! :)

Meanwhile, my SR quest for chimchar in Platinum keeps going and going and going and going and going...

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I hatched my Odd Egg and got a shiny Magby in Pokemon Crystal. I got it on my very first egg!
Holy cow that is lucky! Nice hatch.

Might try working on some soft resetting in my Platinum version today. Been working on it on and off for a shiny Turtwig.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I hatched my Odd Egg and got a shiny Magby in Pokemon Crystal. I got it on my very first egg!
Good for you. My Odd Egg shiny I SR'd for(initially a Pichu) was a Tyrogue, who ended up becoming a Hitmonchan. The old shiny looks much better than the current

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Shiny absol after 1,543 eggs.

Female, in a premiere ball, jolly nature and capable of taking hits, with Super Luck. 4IVs missing SpATK and SpDEF. Going to train her, then get her leveled up and use her as a mega absol to deal with sand attack spammers when I SOS things.

Up next is grubbin. I want my white vikavolt.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Got my first Pokemon Let's Go! shiny. It's a Modest Bellsprout so I guess I slap Mega Drain and Sludge Bomb on it.

And yes, this was the result of chaining (31 Pidgeys to be exact).

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I hatched a shiny grubbin during a power outage last night. Female, modest nature, capable of taking hits, with Swarm. 5IVs perfect, missing ATK. Gonna be an awesome vikavolt. Only took 394 eggs.

Hatching eggs for growlithe now.

Edit: Shiny spheal from the friend safari. Female, timid nature, likes to thrash about,with her HA, Oblivious. Will be transferred to US later.

Edit #2: Shiny beartic. Female again, mild nature and capable of taking hits, with Snow Cloak. Named Artio after the Gaulish bear goddess of the wilderness. It seemed to suit.

Last edited:
Tried to use the swap method again, using the MM for magikarp and then swap it for another shiny.

It was quite stubborn this time, took 1124 eggs to hatch. It was male so I used it to get a shiny Porygon. Despite Magikarp's fast hatch cycle this was probably the longest MM hunt I've done so far. Hopefully the next one won't take this long.

Gonna try again. If I can get that 1/8 chance it'll be for a female Salandit, if not it's going to be a Scyther. I've gotta release this ton of Magikarp first though.

Edit: Ahahaha this really seems like a joke. As soon as I started up my next hunt a shiny Magikarp hatched again after only 3 eggs. It was male so I swapped it for a shiny Scyther. It's like the opposite of my previous hunt. Only time I've ever had 2 MM shinies in one day too.

Next target if male is gonna be Pinsir to complete the Kanto bugs.

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Shiny growlithe after 480 eggs! That didn't take too long, except for my spending more time in Monster Hunter: World hunting arch tempered elder dragons (beings of sadness and agony, especially after failing the quests for the three dozenth time) instead of hatching eggs.

Growlithe is male, timid nature and mischievous, with Intimidate. 4IVs missing ATK and SpDEF. He hatched with the egg moves Flare Blitz, Morning Sun, Burn Up, and Close Combat. I already evolved him to arcanine for my dex, which I will probably regret later, but I can always breed another one.

Next will be zubat, to finish of the Melemele Island dex (crobat being the last 'mon I need)

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Took me almost a week at a catch combo of 150, but I finally got my pink dratini in Let's Go. It was set to Adamant thanks to Madam Celadon, and it ended up with perfect IVs in all but Special Attack. Couldn't have asked for better. I watched 3 shiny Tentacool swim by and ran from a shiny Raticate while collecting daily spawn items to make more money for the nature sync before I got this guy.

Going to look through my dex and decide on my next target. Might be doing a trade hunt for a shiny alolan vulpix next. Good luck on your hunts!

Edit: ended up using my Dratini combo to get a shiny Porygon before starting the Vulpix trades. It showed up very quickly using the door method. I hope the trade hunt doesn't take too long.

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I've managed to get a shiny Kyurem. I'm going after Suicune, and after that only Giratina is left for the legendary US SRs

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Shiny zubat after 422 eggs. That was fast.

Female, named Batty Coda (if you get the reference, kudos to you), jolly nature and likes to thrash about, with its HA, infiltrator

Up next will be beast ball trapinch. Managed to catch one in a beast ball on the first try and have it ready to go.

I also caught another shiny spheal in Y's friend safari. Male, mild nature and somewhat vain, with Thick Fat. This one will go into WT once I get it back to US

Last edited: