• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Ampharos_Spark

Gen 6 = <3
Congrats on all of the new shinies lately!

Earlier this week, I had a really stressful and overall awful time at work. Anyway, Sometime after work on Monday, I decided to work on Xerneas in Ultra Sun and some other targets in other games. I was watching some videos and was heating up my dinner. Eventually I looked down at my 3DS...
Iouga6p.jpg
It was gi time in Ultra Sun with a white deer staring back at me! The battle was really easy. All that was needed was a few Spores, a few of Dragon Dances, a couple of False Swipes and finally, ONE Dive Ball. It was caught!. It's Relaxed with an IV spread of HP: Best/ Attack: Best/ Defense: Very Good/ Sp. Attack: Very Good/ Sp. Defense: Pretty Good and Speed: Best.
More Pictures:
jJUJcIa.jpg

9EHF9Xe.jpg

Video:
Good luck on all of your hunts!

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Eevee finally shines in the Friend Safari! No Loudreds and Dunsparces in between!

mn54N7s.png

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Shiny larvitar after 535 eggs.

Yeah, I was going to hatch chinchou, but I realized at the last moment that my chinchou was a Japanese chinchou and Masuda Method would not have worked. So I swapped in the larvitar instead. Male, everstoned Jolly and mischievous, with Guts. 5IVs missing Speed, but that's what bottle caps are for

Now to get the chinchou ready so I can breed it

Edit: Shiny chinchou after 154 eggs. That was a very quick egg hunt.

Female, everstoned calm and takes plenty of siestas, with Volt Absorb. She came out 5IVs perfect.

Gonna get her evolved, then up next is frillish. Not picky as to which gender. I don't have any in US but I bred them in Y and have some in Pokebank. Just have to retrieve one.

Last edited:

Draknir

Fear the Deer
Congrats to everyone on their Shinies since late January!

So, after taking a break from it, I've really gotten back into Shiny hunting back at the start of this month. I got a Shiny Kyogre after 342 encounters in Ultra Moon, a Shiny Groudon after 889 encounters in Ultra Sun, and a Shiny Moltres after 464 encounters. I double hunted all of them, and the former two came in the two games that were the least prepared for it (I have 2 of both Ultra games, one main and one to do as I please. They appeared in the latter.)

I've also started a couple of hunts in older games, even getting a used Japanese DSi so I could triple hunt using my Japanese Black (And to hunt in my Japanese White and White 2 later on). I had started a Unova Badge Quest late into May using my English Black and German White and I just added my Japanese Black to it. Starting with the starters and, for fun, I am hunting all three simultaneously by choosing a different one in each. Whichever game gets the Shiny is going to be the main Badge Quest game while the other two will help with hunting. It's slow going because I only really started doing it again yesterday. At 414 encounters for that. Not sure what I'm going to go for after I get the starter, but I do know I will eventually go for Litwick because I had a Shiny Chandelure that I lost in 2012 because my dog chewed the game it was in.

I am also hunting Regigigas in Platinum, which is what got me back into hunting in old games because I realized it would be neat to have a Lv.1 Shiny Regigigas. Currently at 684 encounters for that. After that I plan to hunt for Shaymin. My English Platinum never used the Oak's Letter so that's an option. It'll be technically semi-legit in the other two copies I am using, but I figure that isn't a problem so long as I have one that actually has it from the event all those years ago.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Funny, it starts looking like an actual plant as a shiny
Well the idea with the pink was that it look like a flower, as the real-life counterpart does.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Shiny ferroseed from the friend safari. Lonely nature and alert to sounds, with Iron Barbs. Last 'mon I needed from that safari, so I'm moving on.

330 eggs and counting for frillish

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Found my first shiny in a long time in a Friend Safari in Pokémon X last night. A shiny Azumarill. So glad that the in game shiny hunting drought is over!

Rahus

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Okay, so single handedly the best shiny I've ever come across is a perfect IV, Shiny Adamant Shroomish. Nicknamed it Falloom, ev trained it, evolved it, and with it, I win a minor competition match in my home town and won a pot of $150 with Falloom doing a hard carry in the finale.

Great looking shiny. I kind of miss her to be honest. Had to sell the game, Omega Ruby, she was in and didn't have the ability to transfer her and the rest of my beauties to safety.

Which in hindsight was kind of a good thing, considering the new direction GameFreak is going with the number of Pokemon in the cart.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Been a while, and I need to update my signature, but I've been SO lazy about it.

I've gotten Shiny Staryu, Magikarp, and Lapras on Let's Go! since I last posted, and instead of Mewtwo I decided to hunt Regigigas instead, as... by the time I got around to do my St. Patty's day hunt, well... it was April. lol

Also found a Shiny Machoke on Let's Go! after the Staryu was found but... I accidentally ran into ladders and failed it. Man that was heartbreaking to process and see happen.

For Pokemon Go, there's been countless shinies. Listing all of them would take WAYYY too long.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
After 3 months of soft resetting in my spare time on Crystal virtual console.... it's finally mine. Almost had a heart attack when it came up.

8VFyuE9.jpg

Congratulations on the lucky catch! :)

Cyberra

pain in the ***
After 3 months of soft resetting in my spare time on Crystal virtual console.... it's finally mine. Almost had a heart attack when it came up.

8VFyuE9.jpg

How far into the story do I have to get before I have access to celebi, and what are the SR buttons on virtual console? I have one that I got from WT, but there is no way it's legit (lvl 100, perfect 6IVs, and the OT is AuSLove.TV, who trades hacked shiny legends by the boatload). I want my own legit one

Marzbar

How far into the story do I have to get before I have access to celebi, and what are the SR buttons on virtual console? I have one that I got from WT, but there is no way it's legit (lvl 100, perfect 6IVs, and the OT is AuSLove.TV, who trades hacked shiny legends by the boatload). I want my own legit one
After elite four sometime. But you don’t need to finish any of the Johto area. You get given the GS ball and need to talk to Kurt....
You just tap the bottom touch screen, press the reset button that comes and then hit A for okay. It’s very quick. Much easier than traditional soft resetting and can be done with one finger/hand

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
As soon as you become champion, go to the pokecenter in Goldenrod (you may need to immediately turn right when you walk in). You'll receive the GS ball. Take it to Kurt. The next day (you can change your clock if you don't want to wait), he'll give it back and send you to the shrine.

A+B+Start+Select will restart the game, or as Marzbar said, you can tap the touch screen and press reset.

Good luck with the hunt!

StrongBad456

Beginning Trainer
I had some amazing shiny luck today with Gen 4. Managed to get shiny Totodile and shiny Latias within hours of each other on 2 separate games. Now if only Articuno would shine on Let's Go Pikachu because I went weeks looking for it and never found it but I found it in 3 days in a game with more difficult shiny odds(Soul Silver) trying to see which would shine first. Sadly I failed it in Soul Silver because it struggled and knocked itself out. Still, shiny hunting is the best and I hope everyone finds the shinies they're looking for.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Shiny frillish after 2,028 eggs. That took a while...

Was hoping for a male, but frillish hatched female and apparently the trick of passing the shiny value to the next egg in line no longer works (I tried rejecting the shiny egg and accepting the next, but when the egg hatched it was not shiny). Eh. Modest nature and alert to sounds, with Water Absorb. 5IVs missing DEF.

Once evolved, jellicent will complete the Ula'ula dex. Then I just need two more to complete the Poni dex and I will get my shiny charm.

Up next is scraggy, either SOS or MM. May try SOS first and then switch to MM if I screw up too many times

Edit: Anything that learns High Jump Kick should never be SOS'd if you're not using a ghost as a lead. Back to the egg grind

Edit #2: Caught a shiny nincada and a shiny diggersby in a ground safari. Both males, the nincada gentle nature and the diggersby bashful with Pickup. I would have preferred Huge Power.

The nincada will probably go into Wonder Trade; I have two breed stock nincada in US already for breeding out ninjask and shedinja.

Edit #3: Shiny scraggy after 209 eggs. That was fast... and despite the fact that I was using a non-HA 'karp for the swap breeding, scraggy still got his HA, Intimidate. I wanted Moxie.

Male, everstoned Jolly, mischievous, with Intimidate. I will admit, I was sorely tempted to put my frillish back in and get a male one to go with my female LOL. I'll do that another time

Once I get this guy evolved I'll have one 'mon left to finish off the Alola dex. So up next will be misdreavous

Last edited:

SmeargleRocks

Reputable Trader
I saw someone got a shiny celebi again so I wanted to move this chart to recent incase you wanted a specific nature for it.

Not sure if anyone else is hunting shiny celebi but while I was doing research on ilex forest celebi I found out this specific celebi from VC crystal is guaranteed 5ivs when transferred and that unless you give ANY experience at all to your celebi before tranfer then its a guaranteed timid nature. If you also want a certain shiny celebi nature / are going for just a different nature one then the chart shown below will explain how much exp is needed to move the nature around on the chart. So essentially if you are keeping your celebi NT (not touched) before tranfer it is always a timid nature and can't be any other nature if its NT. Hope this info helps others in their hunts.
http://imgur.com/261c9QG
http://imgur.com/9tRrRCh

Lemonski

I personally haven't hunted for shinies a lot but I still have a few, for example multiple shiny Nosepass from a friend safari while I was looking for a shiny Onix. The most recent shiny I got was a shiny Cleffa from the odd egg in Crystal.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Caught a shiny illumise in the friend safari. Naive nature and somewhat vain, with Tinted Lens. Will be sent to US later.

Misdreavous is at 660 eggs and counting

Edit: Shiny misdreavous after 708 eggs! That wasn't too bad.

Female, everstoned timid and takes plenty of siestas, with Levitate, in a fast ball. And she's 5IVs perfect. Gonna get her evolved, which completes the Alola dex and gets me the shiny charm. And then I think I might want to go for a better-natured nihilego in the ultra wormholes.

Gonna keep my breeder frillish handy so I can get a shiny male later. Gonna hatch for a black minior and then a shiny dhelmise, after which I have a laundry list of things I want to breed shiny

Edit #2: Shiny nihilego after 1,045 SRs. But the sync failed and instead of Timid, it came out Naughty. So the hunt is not over. This one will be going through Wonder Trade to some unsuspecting player, and I'm going to leave the Ultra Wormholes and come back until I get my Timid floating jellyfish.

Edit #3: Shiny nihilego after 486 SRs! And this time sync worked!

I named it Amemasu, after a lake monster from Ainu myth. It's Timid nature and mischievous (max SpATK!), with Beast Boost. Will need to bottle cap the Speed, but that's what they're for.

Gonna hatch for minior now

Last edited: