• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

jssr903

Hi everyone! So, very soon after my last post, I found a shiny Raticate in Let's Go. I caught that and started my Eevee chain over again. I haven't seen a shiny since.

I actually just got my hands on a 2DS and Alpha Saphire, and I'm at the point where you rescue Latias with Steven. I've been trying to SR for a shiny one, but it takes a long time since there are lots of cut scenes and I've got to beat team aqua before I receive the Pokemon, and there's nowhere to save in between. Anyone have tips on making this sr faster? Will Latias show up shiny in the overworld, or in the cutscenes? Any tips would help.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Shiny fomantis on route 5 after 162 SOS calls. Was taking a break from the egg grind while my router was down and I had no internet connection.

Female, brave nature, with Leaf Guard.

Up to 1,951 eggs for torchic.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Ugh, I'm getting so tired of this SR chimchar hunt in Platinum, it's been going on forever. I"m going on a road trip to Minnesota over the next three days, folks, so give me all the good vibes so I can finally see the red monkey.
Can so relate on that one. Been SR ing for a shiny Cyndaquil for a long time and it's being very, very stubborn.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Well, I decided to take a break on chimchar while I was on vacation, and decided to DexNav in OmegaRuby so I can have a better chance at a shiny, since I have the shiny charm on the game. I managed to get a shiny mawile on Dewford and a shiny kakuna in the Safari Zone, two pokemon I haven't already had. Mawile was especially important since it was my first DexNav cave shiny (those are SO hard to get), and it was the first pokemon in months to check off my shiny Rocketdex list (I still count mawile as a Team Rocket pokemon even though Jessie had it for, like, a minute, LOL). Now I can go back to chimchar.

Golden_Arcanine

Given how much I hated Gen 7, I found my Ultra Moon game in my closet with the wrapping still on it. Decided to start it and as I was finishing up the first island, a Shiny Ekans popped up. First random shiny I've had since shiny Magnemite.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Shiny HA dream ball torchic after 3 phases and 2,545 eggs. Oi...

Male, everstoned Adamant and mischievous, with Speed Boost. Hatched in a dream ball. 5IVs missing SpDEF.

Another fire starter up next... I caught an emboar in a dive ball via island scan and I plant to breed it with a HA tepig I have to get HA dive ball tepigs. And start this whole grind all over again.

ArcanineRaichu77

Shiny Hunter,Bookworm and BVB fan~
*cracks knuckles* long post ahead! Since I last posted here I've seen a total of 31 shinies :O, from my White, Sapphire, Emerald, Firered and Leafgreen games. I've decided to talk about them in order, 8 per post to not make it super long! So here we go :D Each shiny has a story I'll share with ya, and for pics see spoilers!

#1-Petilil-White-23rd of May 2018:4,530 encounters.
bpXYekH.jpg
For my White BQ..was hunting while playing Colosseum and this beauty shone under 5k! HP Fire also, but a 0 SpA IV because my White is a troll :p

#2-Weedle-Firered-6th of June 2018: 2 months hunting.
yOJfiam.jpg
After being so lucky to get a shiny female Squirtle in only 5049 srs on Firered, I headed above Cerulean for my next target, Oddish. being the most common, surely I would get it? Nope :p after two months, this Weedle appeared. Wasn't looking at my sp at the time and didn't hear the stars, glance over and holy! I already have a shiny Beedrill here from my previous FR BQ, but years ago I did lose a shiny Kakuna here so I'm happy with it :) Sadly 4000 res later I ran into another shiny Weedle..and ran by mistake :/

#3-Chimchar-Platinum-14th of June 2018: 27,326 soft resets(and a reclaim!)
Nsx4YRA.jpg

g2JcqZE.jpg
Man of man, Chimchar. Without a doubt, this is the shiny I worked the hardest for and will always hold a special place in my heart. Older members may remember back when I was RaichuArcanine, before I moved and lost my email and password, the story behind this fire monkey. Way back in 2013, I restart my Platinum to hunt for it and hopefully do a badge quest. Once I get used to it, the SR time isn't too bad. One day I come home from high school and am sring again, with a rubber band on my L and SR so each time I only have to press start and select to SR. Alas, this was my downfall. After just 1000 srs I saw the sparkly monkey..but I instinctively pressed start and select and the shiny was gone :(. For about a year after I hunted it relentlessly. Nada. Since then I'd pick it up now and again but found it hard to motivate myself. Fast forward to this date, I'm on 23,320 srs. On the computer and bored of FR, I pick up Platinum and start a new file. Joking to one of my good discord friends, I start to SR. Six resets later..there he was! I was SO incredibly happy to have him back, after all this time! He's in my good Platinum file now and I hope this story inspires everyone to never give up, it WILL come!

PS: good luck on yours Wobbanut, hope these pics motivate ya!

#4-Sandile-6th of July 2018-653 eggs-video link:
n1TwtCI.jpg
Still so happy after getting Chimmy, I returned to this hunt in White. Thankfully I had a Japanese Sandile before the GTS shut down, so I was able to masuda it. 653 eggs later I got him :D. Rash nature, but he did get his mama's 31 Attack and Speed and a nice 28 in HP! Named him Vector and although this shiny line creates a lot of divided opinion, personally I really like it.

#5-Pidgey-Firered-7th of July 2018: 14,003 encounters.
nxsn6mG.jpg
After another month in Route 24 I got another shiny, Pidgey. Again not what I wanted but at this point I was glad to see something haha. My third shiny of this evo line and the first of many to come on this file..but that's a whole other story :p I still really wanted Oddish but was so sick of this route, I moved on to the third hunt of my BQ, vowing to come back here later.

#6-Diglett-Firered-11th of July-1776 ecnounters.
nxsn6mG.jpg
Such a relief to have a fast hunt! Diglett is a shiny I've wanted for a while, and with only it and Dugtrio in Digletts cave I had no worries about getting my target to shine :D. I was fighting all the non shinies for a change of pace and when I saw the blue nose so early, many swears were uttered! Such a fast hunt really brought my hunting spirit back to the fore.

#7-Zubat-Emerald-12th of August 2018-Random
WWu6QrQ.jpg

Sx9pCtp.jpg
Hooray for random shinies! As you can see from the images above, I found this gal whilst playing through the Gamecube's Gameboy player! I needed a Sun Stone to have Bellosom in my dex, so off I went to Meteor Falls. As soon as I saw the shadow, I knew this was shiny and my reaction was literally, "it's @#$%&^ green!" :p after 450 hours game time it was nice of Emerald to show me a shiny haha. She's now a Crobat and my go to flier.

#8-Treecko-17tth of August 2018-20,850 soft resets(and three shiny uncatchable poochyena) video link:
MjLqzEb.jpg

f4kWDFy.jpg
Phew, what a hunt this was! Just recently I'd managed to get my hands on a new battery Sapphire and Ruby, so I could finally hunt normally in these games, without RNG clones :) I planned a Sapphire BQ and first up was the adorable gecko. I was expecting at least one shiny pooch I couldn't catch, but all three came after 10k+ srs like trolls :p. This hunt also marked the longest sr hunt in R/S/E for me, and the third longest sr hunt overall. Being female as well was just the icing on the cake! She's a Sceptile now and well worth every sr :)

As for my current hunts, see my sig :) Oddish is on 8,800 res now so before 12k I hope! Congrats on new shinies and gl all! And if anyone actually read this mammoth post, thanks :p stay tuned for my next post where I'll share another eight of the shinies I've gotten since my last post here :)

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Shiny castform after 25 eggs.

Yes, I was hatching tepig, and it was originally a tepig that shone. But it had the wrong ability. So here is a castform.

Female, everstoned modest and mischievous, with Forecast. 4IVs missing ATK and Speed. Not that either stat matters much. Still greatly disappointed that castform's weather formes do not have their own unique shinies.

Back to tepig.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Lucky me. I have been searching for Tauros to fill my Pokedex in the Leaf Green Safari Zone, and I came across a pink Nidoran Female. And unlike the Golduck in HeartGold, I actually caught it. I'll make sure she learns all the moves a Nidoran/Nidorina can before she can evolve into Nidoqueen

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Shiny tepig after 221 eggs. Faster than I'd expected...

Male, everstoned Adamant and capable of taking hits, with Thick Fat and hatched in a dive ball. 4IVs missing ATK and SpATK. Will still make an awesome-looking shiny emboar

Again continuing the fire starter theme, up next is chimchar, then charmander. I have both with their HA, just need to breed them into the balls I want: level ball for chimchar and beast ball for charmander

Edit: Shiny chimchar after 239 eggs. Another short hunt

Chimchar is male, jolly nature and somewhat vain, with Iron Fist, and has Focus Punch, Fire Punch, Thunder Punch, and Fake Out as egg moves. He hatched perfect 6IVs, and in a level ball

On to charmander

Edit #2: Just got my... fourth shiny bronzong from the friend safari. Relaxed nature, with levitate. Will be trade fodder when I get it back to US

Edit #3: And there's the fifth. Hardy, with Heavy Metal. Again, this one will be WT'd off later.

Gonna go find a different safari; I'll just breed for the dang mawile later

Edit #4: Shiny female espurr from the psychic safari. Relax nature, somewhat vain, with Keen Eye.

Now I just need a male... Time to go grab my cute charmer.

Charmander is at 720 eggs and counting

Last edited:

wobbanut

Team Awesome
After 2 1/2 weeks of playing Pokemon Go, I managed to get shinies two days in a row. Both were repeats of shinies I got before, but I'm definitely not complaining. The first was a zigzagoon that pinged just after I got to work (it's one of a dozen, since it took so long to horde hunt for shroomish, but I still love it ^_^ ), and the second was a caterpie just after I left work. At least my pokedex is filling up nicely too, though it's taking soooooo long to accumulate candies in order to evolve.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
On the last few minutes of community day, I caught a shiny Trapinch.

I hardly get shinies, even on community day, so that's why I'm posting about it.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Still working on my shiny Cyndaquil hunt in Silver and on my shiny Magikarp hunt in Moon. They're both being very stubborn.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Shinies from yesterday.

Caught a shiny Lillipup in Go.
A Shiny full-odds Fearow flies away when I get close to it in Let's Go Eevee (first failed shiny).
Caught a shiny Spearow after chaining 31 Nidoran M.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Ran into a surprise shiny today in Pokemon Quest. A shiny Magnemite. :)

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I got another shiny a couple of days ago, and another repeat, but I'm not complaining: a shiny shellder. ^_^ Not only is it an awesome shiny, but it's a reclaim of a shellder I evolved because I wanted to fill the pokedex back in 6th gen. At last, finally, I've reclaimed my shiny shellder for my shiny Rocketdex collection (yes, I still count it as one of Jessie's pokemon).

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Shiny aron after 1,583 eggs.

Finally a shiny and it hatched with the wrong ability so I switched in something other than charmander *sigh* And then the aron didn't even get the one of its two normal abilities that I wanted! Thankfully, ability capsules do exist.

Adamant nature and takes plenty of siestas, perfect 5IVs. He'll be a powerful aggron.

Resuming the grind for charmander...

Haven't posted in here for quite some time. I've mainly been playing Dragon Quest XI but since I've done basically everything aside from some side quests in that game I've been catching up with some anime. And watching anime usually means shiny hunting while watching for me.

I've been MM'ing again and hatched a purple Mudkip after 337 eggs. Next target's gonna be Torchic to complete the Hoenn starter set shiny.

I'm mainly gonna try hunting starters now. I have the gen 1, 2 and 6 sets complete and 3 almost complete now. Still need the entire gen 4, 5 and 7 sets though.

Also got the event Solgaleo and Lunala a bit ago. Normally it was one code per customer but I asked nicely and I'm a regular so I got two codes and got both of them ^^;

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
*siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh* Shiny houndour after 2,348 eggs...

Again, the shiny 'karp hatched with the wrong ability. Switched in houndour instead. Male, timid nature and likes to thrash about, with Early Bird. 5IVs missing SpDEF.

The grind continues...

I also got the event solgaleo and lunala. There's no EB Games within five hours' drive of where I live, but thankfully I was able to find a store downprovince willing to read off the codes over the phone for me.

Edit: Shiny charmander after 2,473 eggs.

Male, jolly nature and alert to sounds, with Solar Power. Came out 4IVs missing SpATK (which is irrelevant anyway) and DEF though the DEF stat is still listed as "very good". Was aiming for a MegaChariX here

Shifting gears to ghosts now. Gotta get a not-Japanese mimikyu ready, and I will be hatching for a HA phantump. Will switch in the mimikyu if the shiny hatches non-HA

Last edited:

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I finally got a Nintendo Switch this past week and started playing Let's Go Eevee, and I've had a pretty successful week. I got three shinies I've never had before- paras, diglett, and spearow, and two repeats- psyduck and golbat. Psyduck is the most interesting one. I was headed toward Vermillion City and spotted it in the lower right-hand corner, but was interrupted by the final trainer challenging me. Luckily, I defeated him quickly and was still able to get the shiny psyduck. :)