• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

StrongBad456

Beginning Trainer
I have had an amazing day shiny hunting in Omega Ruby. I started Horde Hunting last night and when I continued today, I got a shiny Wurmple almost right away, got a shiny Whismur super quick, and just got a shiny Numel after about 4 or 5 hordes. 3 shinies in one day, with no shiny charm. Happy Hunting!

RedJirachi

Veteran member
How come there isn't discussion on other shiny subjects? Like about their color, thoughts on methods, ect?

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I didn't do as much shiny hunting or playing this week, because I was busy, but I got my first pokemon by catch rate in Let's Go Eevee, a jigglypuff. :) I can't wait till I get the fly mechanism so I can go back to Cerulean City and hunt for venonat.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
How come there isn't discussion on other shiny subjects? Like about their color, thoughts on methods, ect?

Sure, I'll discuss :) The Let's Go games have become my favorite way to hunt for shinies, since it's easy (catch combos), practical (It helps me level up my Pokemon) and even somewhat fun (I only play in handheld mode so I don't have to worry about inaccurate throws).

I'm ready for Home to come out so I can bring the ones that can make it over to Galar. And one of those will be a shiny Vileplume, one of my original favorites from Gen 1. Besides just catching it as a shiny, it was also part of the chain so its stats were better too.

Cyberra

pain in the ***

The community is smaller and less active than it used to be. There used to be lots of long discussions on those topics. We also used to hold themed monthly community hunts. Those ended long before we moved forums as people drifted away.

Shiny phantump after 1,029 eggs. Male, impish nature, with Harvest. 5IVs perfect.

Working on a HA pyukumuku now.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Unfortunately, I lost a shiny venonat on a catch chain this week in Let's Go Eevee, but I did get a shiny tauros in Pokemon Go, my first shiny in the game in weeks.

Oh, sure~

I mainly prefer SOS hunting and MM'ing. Gen 7 is great for shiny hunting,plus with the swap method you can hatch eggs a bit faster by using Magikarp, it's also handy for hunting those pokemon that have gender-specific evolutions (or those that can only evolve while having a certain gender, looking at you Combee and Salandit).

SOS hunting can be really fun too, but also extremely frustrating depending on the moveset certain pokemon have. Hunting Dewpider which has Infestation was super annoying cause it chips away at your health much faster than normal moves do. Also, status inflicting moves are the worst.

I've always been terrible at chaining though, never managed to pull it off in gen 4 despite using guides my biggest chain was like, 11 or something. Never pulled it off in the DexNav in OR/AS either. I did catch a ton of shinies in the Friend Safari in gen 6 over the years though but am now basically at a point where I already have the vast majority of them and are more likely to run into duplicate shinies than ones I don't have yet.

Soft Resetting is a method I like as well. I've already SR'ed for all non-shiny locked legends in Ultra Sun, but still have to complete Ultra Moon for the version exclusives in there. I'd like to try for some Ultra Beasts too but the cutscene is kinda the reason I haven't tried a serious attempt at this yet.

As for the shinies themselves, I really like sets. Sets of starter, sets of legendaries, sets of entire generations even. I'm currently trying for a shiny Torchic to complete my Hoenn starter set. That still leaves the entire Sinnoh, Unova and Alola starter sets but I'm already over halfway there~

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Oh, sure~

I mainly prefer SOS hunting and MM'ing. Gen 7 is great for shiny hunting,plus with the swap method you can hatch eggs a bit faster by using Magikarp, it's also handy for hunting those pokemon that have gender-specific evolutions (or those that can only evolve while having a certain gender, looking at you Combee and Salandit).

SOS hunting can be really fun too, but also extremely frustrating depending on the moveset certain pokemon have. Hunting Dewpider which has Infestation was super annoying cause it chips away at your health much faster than normal moves do. Also, status inflicting moves are the worst.

I've always been terrible at chaining though, never managed to pull it off in gen 4 despite using guides my biggest chain was like, 11 or something. Never pulled it off in the DexNav in OR/AS either. I did catch a ton of shinies in the Friend Safari in gen 6 over the years though but am now basically at a point where I already have the vast majority of them and are more likely to run into duplicate shinies than ones I don't have yet.

Soft Resetting is a method I like as well. I've already SR'ed for all non-shiny locked legends in Ultra Sun, but still have to complete Ultra Moon for the version exclusives in there. I'd like to try for some Ultra Beasts too but the cutscene is kinda the reason I haven't tried a serious attempt at this yet.

As for the shinies themselves, I really like sets. Sets of starter, sets of legendaries, sets of entire generations even. I'm currently trying for a shiny Torchic to complete my Hoenn starter set. That still leaves the entire Sinnoh, Unova and Alola starter sets but I'm already over halfway there~

With the ultra beasts, go in and endure the cutscene, then faint the UB, leave, and reenter the white wormholes until you find the one you want again. It can be a grind, especially if you're going after Guzzlord, but you can find infinite UBs (not just one like the legendaries) and you won't have to endure the cutscenes after that first time.

With the ultra beasts, go in and endure the cutscene, then faint the UB, leave, and reenter the white wormholes until you find the one you want again. It can be a grind, especially if you're going after Guzzlord, but you can find infinite UBs (not just one like the legendaries) and you won't have to endure the cutscenes after that first time.

Oh wow I never knew that about the cutscenes, I always thought they played during every encounter with them. Thank's for the great tip~

Manakete-Girl

'Cause Dragon Types
Well I was just training using Rolycoly's on route 3 before the 1st gym and this girl showed up on the 27th encounter so I guess she's a team memeber now?
B7x0rsE.jpg

Edit: Hatched a Shiny Scourbunny after 25 eggs.
NCWjE5j.jpg

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Oh wow I never knew that about the cutscenes, I always thought they played during every encounter with them. Thank's for the great tip~

I have three shiny xurkitree (can you tell I like xurkitree XD), so I can personally confirm you only have to endure the cutscene on the very first encounter and never again, and then you can pull out as many of that UB shiny as you want. Good luck on your future UB hunts!

Draknir

Fear the Deer
Well, I've officially broken my record for how fast I've gotten a Shiny in a game. Just got a random Shiny Gossifleur. The earliest I'd gotten a Shiny was actually last year with Let's Go Eevee the day after release.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Well, I've officially broken my record for how fast I've gotten a Shiny in a game. Just got a random Shiny Gossifleur. The earliest I'd gotten a Shiny was actually last year with Let's Go Eevee the day after release.

Pics? Or pic link? What color is it??

Forgot to post this last night, but I got this after 182 FULL ODDS EGGS! https://twitter.com/TheMaster327/status/1195471488809193472

Grookey is Adamant (Everstone) with Growth as an egg move!

O.O Hatched shinies sparkle when they hatch now? That'll be helpful when hatching for the ones that barely change from their normal colors

ArcanineRaichu77

Shiny Hunter,Bookworm and BVB fan~
First of all, sorry for the late post! I actually found this a month ago but have been busy since then.

Anyways, IT'S HERE! (spoiler because the image is huge, second link is the album with more pics :D ).

Shiny Oddish! Funnily enough was gonna finish for the night but wanted to do a few more encounters before the show I was watching finished, and green! It was one of those times where I didn't register at first. My thought process was like, "huh it's green..shiny!!"

I tried for this for three months back in 2018 after I got my first BQ shiny on this game, Squirtle and got two shiny Weedles and a Pidgey instead. After Eevee shone I moved east of Fuschia and ended up with a 7th Pidgey after only 2k res. So I decided to grab my level 14 Gastly and some repels and head above Cerulean again. With a level 14 and repels you get 100% Oddish (or Bellsprout if you are playing LG). This fella took exactly 15,000 res, making it my sixth longest RE shiny. I have evolved him to Vileplume and he is now named Hemlock :).

Right now on FR I'm after a shiny I've wanted for years..Lapras! Currently on 12,300ish srs for it. Afterwards I'm gonna hunt again on Leafgreen I reckon...I want my shiny Sandshrew!

Good question! I'm always up for this type of discussion :) Personally my favourite method is MM. I find egg hatching relaxing and soothing. I also like RE and SR, although I used to hate it. 4th gen chaining started my hunting so it's special to me. Not a fan of SOS or chain fishing and I've never tried dexnav. Speaking of colour, am I the only one here who loves the Sandile line shiny? It seems to be one that people either love or hate.

I see there's been some discussion of finishing shiny trios so I wanted to weigh in. Starter wise, since I started hunting in 2011, I have the Kanto, Johto and Unova starters shiny. For Hoenn I'm missing Torchic, and in Sinnoh I'm missing Turtwig. Although I do have a second platinum fresh and ready to reset when I get around to BQing it, the turtle being my first target. Sadly I was only able to find good photos of my Kanto shiny starter trio, see below :)

Lastly I miss the community hunts. I'd love to see that or something like the shiny circuits of the old club come back. And I hope I get Lapras before 15k! Congrats and good luck all, I hope someone got something out of this long post :p

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Shiny mimikyu after 849 eggs. Was hatching for pyukumuku but the shiny hatched non-HA, so I put in the mimikyu instead.

Everstoned Adamant but the ATK IV is a big fat zero, good thing I don't battle competitively. Capable of taking hits and has Disguise. Eh...

Back to pyukumuku

Erron Black

The Outlaw
So someone said that Egg shininess is no longer determined when you get the Egg, but rather when it hatches.

Just wanted to double check here before I start resetting my game to hatch for Sobble, do any of you know if this is true?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Just caught a random full odds shiny Nidorino in Let's GO Eevee!
xmp2GVt.jpg

Leonhart

Imagineer
I managed to find a Shiny Haganeil (Steelix) in SoulSilver version last night. I wasn't aiming for that Shiny Pokemon specifically, I was just trying my hand at random encounter Shinies since I hadn't found any Shinies in that game in years. I might try to hatch a Shiny in that game next since I haven't delved into Masuda Method Shiny hunts in quite a while. On a related note, someone was kind enough to give me a free Shiny Solgaleo from the recent event distribution this morning, which made my day.

Last edited: