• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I found a shiny magnemite after leaving work the other day in Pokemon Go, that was great. ^_^ Still no new shinies from Pokemon Go, but now I'm up to four in two months. I already evolved it to magneton.

Drakonekoshi

...Is anyone else having absolutely abysmal luck in SwSh? I battled 999+ Chewtles and encountered lord knows how many ( probably around 2000-3000 ) and hatched 1,111 eggs using MM and I STILL don't have a shiny and it's driving me crazy! can I get some luck here? I'm at my wits end ;;.

EDIT: I GOT IT AFTER 1,145 EGGS, FINALLY

Last edited:

Erron Black

The Outlaw
@Drakonekoshi I FEEL THAT.

Been hunting for Sobble all this past week with no luck. It's really starting to get me irritated, I just want to do raids but I don't want to give up!!

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
So... I've been slowly but surely making progress in both Sword and Shield. In Sword, I finally set foot in Route 3, where I hoped to find myself a Sizzlipede... but dang that 1% encounter rate! Naturally, it's taking me ages.

Even so, I never thought I'd run into a shiny Klink before I encountered one. :D I NEVER bump into shiny Pokemon. N-E-V-E-R. I caught and nicknamed the little thing "Cog".

If I bump into a second shiny before I find Sizzlipede...

Last edited:

PokeAmi

Tried continue my hunt for the shiny Latios in Alpha Sapphire and its driving me complete nuts. Well over 5000 encounters WITH the shiny charm and it refuse to show the sparkles :(

Atleast I got a Shiny Alolan Diglett in a egg in GO today, But man I really want that Latios T.T

TheMaster327

So... I've been slowly but surely making progress in both Sword and Shield. In Sword, I finally set foot in Route 3, where hoped to find myself a Sizzlipede... but dang that 1% encounter rate! Naturally, it's taking me ages.

Even so, I never thought I'd run into a shiny Klink before I encountered one. :D I NEVER bump into shiny Pokemon. N-E-V-E-R. I caught and nicknamed the little thing "Cog".

If I bump into a second shiny before I find Sizzlipede...

Apparently Flash Fire works like Static/Magnet Pull in gen 8 but attracts Fire types 50% of the time, no matter of the original percentage. Grats on the Klink!

Drakonekoshi

@Drakonekoshi I FEEL THAT.

Been hunting for Sobble all this past week with no luck. It's really starting to get me irritated, I just want to do raids but I don't want to give up!!

Aw man, I wish you luck! it'll show up eventually, hopefully sooner than later!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EKFfyhKVUAA9gch?format=jpg&name=large
BTW here's a pic of my newly evolved Drednaw! I won't be hunting anymore shinies until I get the shiny charm, for now I just wanna enjoy the game slowly haha

AzulTheCerulean20

Borne by Valkyries
Gonna start hunting once I get my shiny charm in Sword (can't complete dex till Tuesday) so for now I'm just gonna battle specific targets to raise their numbers in dex.

TheMaster327

So for BQ #5 I went for another Galarian form... https://twitter.com/TheMaster327/status/1198675087630585856

However, this was a Brilliant Pokémon and what do Brilliant Pokémon have? Egg Moves. What is this mon's only Egg Move? Memento. So it died immediately on breaking out.

So I continued. And 126 encounters after disaster… https://twitter.com/TheMaster327/status/1198704153779822592

This one wasn't Brilliant, so no Memento, and the Premier Ball held it first time this time. It's Hardy nature, and Thoroughly Cunning. Apt.

AzulTheCerulean20

Borne by Valkyries
So for BQ #5 I went for another Galarian form... https://twitter.com/TheMaster327/status/1198675087630585856

However, this was a Brilliant Pokémon and what do Brilliant Pokémon have? Egg Moves. What is this mon's only Egg Move? Memento. So it died immediately on breaking out.

So I continued. And 126 encounters after disaster… https://twitter.com/TheMaster327/status/1198704153779822592

This one wasn't Brilliant, so no Memento, and the Premier Ball held it first time this time. It's Hardy nature, and Thoroughly Cunning. Apt.
That would suck, reminds me of trying to get gigalith for full dex, every time I encountered one I would get it really low and then it would explode.

Completely crazy - really early into Sword a shiny Rookidee appeared. It was only about my 5th encounter of any Pokemon. My 1st reaction was 'have shinies become common in this gen'.

Needless to say I've not come across any more shinies 24 hours in (currently hoarding Milcerys to evolve)

AzulTheCerulean20

Borne by Valkyries
Currently breeding for a shiny vullaby to evolve into mandibuzz, 100 eggs in so far, had to wait for a friend to get into town so I could get a vullaby that was caught in a pokeball.

Tried hunting for a shiny Nickit since yesterday to test out this new method. Found one after 360 encounters. I'm sure I'm gonna use this method a lot~

Still not sure on the next target, might go for Galarian Farftech'd or something from the Impidimp line.

Xionea

Half a centaur
Been shiny hunting constantly since I finished the dex and got the shiny charm a few days ago. Right now I'm focusing on 2 hunts: shiny Falinks and shiny Hatenna. Falinks has been annoying because there's only 3 overworld encounters on Route 8, with one being out of the way. Knocking out 500 was tedious since they know Endure and First Impression, so it just takes longer to knock them out than it really should. But I managed it. To save time I cut out the 3rd Falinks encounter (the very first one you see when you first enter the route) because you have to go up a ladder and run through a bunch of Pokemon, but Gurdurr are aggressive and big so if there's one spawned it's almost always going to fight you. So I basically got a routine going of flying to route 8, encounter the 2 closest Falinks, fly to route 8 again to respawn them, then repeat. The only slightly concerning thing is I'm not 100% sure if these encounters get the 500 battled bonus applied (I'm sure they do, but Falinks isn't really a typical overworld spawn). So we'll see how this goes. I'm estimating I've encountered around 1000 by now.

When I'm tired of hunting shiny Falinks, I'm working on getting shiny Hatenna through Masuda Method as a Christmas gift to my cousin cause Hatterene is his favorite Pokemon this gen. Hoping I'll get that relatively quick, and if I do I'd like to get a second one for myself lol.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Got a Shiny Impidimp from Masuda Method the other day on my Shield!

Only took 165 eggs, so it was much faster than my Sobble hunt.

Decided to start my SBQ on Sword, and I'm already at Route 3 hunting Zigzagoon. Currently at around 130-ish encounters. Hoping I don't go 1000+ like I've been seeing a lot of people hitting before they get theirs.

Eternalfalcon

Unova champion
I’m new to shiny hunting and i was wondering whether mm is better than the new chain method (I forgot the name of) I don’t want to go to the effort of getting a non English ditto for no reason

Last edited:
My hands are still shaking so much. I've attempted the Masuda Method before, but it wasn't until now I finally got an egg out of it. My pink ice penguin's here, and I love her so much. I named her Hallow, since in Terraria, ice blocks turn into pink ice blocks if they're exposed to a block that's been already affected by a Hallow biome.

image0.jpg

I'm going for Arctozolt next, all hunt I've been stocking up on Fossilized Birds and Dinos, so I'll be seeing a lot of Arctozolt per SR.

EDIT: Albeit not right away. I don't think I want to take on Arctozolt right now, so I think I might take on a different Pokemon and save Arctozolt for later next month. So I'm going to decide on what I want to hunt instead.

Last edited: