• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Raid Dens have netted me a couple of shinies.

After failing a shiny Ivysaur in one, I got a shiny Eevee and G-Max Garodor.
Question: with shinies on Max Raids, is the shininess set once the Wishing Piece is installed, or can you SR beforehand?

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Question: with shinies on Max Raids, is the shininess set once the Wishing Piece is installed, or can you SR beforehand?
I think it is already like that when you attempt them, but I got mine through hosted raids.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
What a stressful day this has been. With the new virus infecting more and more people our government has decided to close a lot of establishments, including my university. I was so anxious about the ordeal that I simply could not focus on my studies, even if I had two important exams this coming week. To keep my mind off of things I was watching... pretty much anything on Netflix while doing soft resets for this Turtwig hunt I had started... about a week ago.
By the end of the evening we got word from our faculty that exams would be held at another date and I finally could breathe. I popped in a movie my friend recommended and started doing more resets.
Guys, I tend to find shinies on crappy days. This was a really crappy day. And I got my Turtwig.
osxANFi.jpg

What a magnificent little thing. I didn't expect it to arrive so soon! I think I started this hunt a week ago! Resets weren't easy in Diamond but oh so worth it. And I was fortunate enough not to encounter any uncatchable Starly!
Mild nature, which is pretty much the worst thing for a Torterra, and his IVs are nothing impressive (I believe nothing is higher than 19?), but I LOVE HIM, and I DON'T CARE. I've never been so pumped to start a badge quest!! Next target I planned: anything in Eterna Forest. Always wanted to double hunt with Cheryl, and I love everything this location has to offer me in terms of shinies, so I'll let fate decide what my next partner will be! :D
EDIT: I NAMED HIM SEAWEED... HOW CUTE!!

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Shiny HA snivy after 631 eggs. That didn't take long.

Ivy is female, timid nature and likes to thrash about, with Contrary. 5IVs missing DEF. Hatched in a moon ball (thank you, island scan!)

That makes two of the Unova starters I have HA and shiny. I wanted to get all three, but after extensive searches of nine games' PCs and my Pokebank, it appears that I do not have a Shell Armor oshawott or either of its evolved forms. I posted in the trade section here and got no response, and even Facebook trade groups have failed to yield results. The HA Unova starters were a serial code distribution that I was unable to obtain, and I have not managed to get a random one in Wonder Trade either. So it looks like I'm going to have to take a non-HA samurott, because I do not have its HA or any way to obtain it.

Breeding for reuniclus next.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Shiny HA snivy after 631 eggs. That didn't take long.

Ivy is female, timid nature and likes to thrash about, with Contrary. 5IVs missing DEF. Hatched in a moon ball (thank you, island scan!)

That makes two of the Unova starters I have HA and shiny. I wanted to get all three, but after extensive searches of nine games' PCs and my Pokebank, it appears that I do not have a Shell Armor oshawott or either of its evolved forms. I posted in the trade section here and got no response, and even Facebook trade groups have failed to yield results. The HA Unova starters were a serial code distribution that I was unable to obtain, and I have not managed to get a random one in Wonder Trade either. So it looks like I'm going to have to take a non-HA samurott, because I do not have its HA or any way to obtain it.

Breeding for reuniclus next.

First of all, congratulations on the AMAZING shiny Snivy you got. I'm so jealous that it is female AND Contrary.

As for a way to obtain Oshawott, I don't know which game you're doing this hunt in, but maybe you could contact forum user @Zold privately. I'm not sure if he does business in games prior to Sword and Shield anymore but I've come to him a few times in the past to obtain HA Pokémon. He's got pretty much everything and maybe he'd be able to help with your request!

Cyberra

pain in the ***
First of all, congratulations on the AMAZING shiny Snivy you got. I'm so jealous that it is female AND Contrary.

As for a way to obtain Oshawott, I don't know which game you're doing this hunt in, but maybe you could contact forum user @Zold privately. I'm not sure if he does business in games prior to Sword and Shield anymore but I've come to him a few times in the past to obtain HA Pokémon. He's got pretty much everything and maybe he'd be able to help with your request!

I'm hunting in Ultra Sun. I don't own a Switch so no Sword or Shield for me.

Edit: Shiny ho-oh after only 370 resets. Dang that was quick. Sync failed and it came out Lax nature and capable of taking hits, with Pressure. Got it on the first ball (and why I threw a fast ball, I'm still not entirely sure. possibly because the sprite looks yellow and orange and matches ho-oh's shiny coloring)

Edit #2: Shiny solosis after only 187 eggs. A very quick hunt.

Male, jolly nature and capable of taking hits, with Magic Guard. IVs are not what I was hoping... xx/xx/31/31/xx/31, but meh. Not like I'm actually going to battle anyone but npcs with it.

Think I'm going to breed honedge next. I love this 'mon and its line. First, though, back into the wormholes after dialga, and hopefully it'll be more cooperative than the last time I hunted it.

Still no responses about a HA oshawott.

Last edited:

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Well I was shiny hunting after a two months break and today I had the most insane luck in my shiny hunting history. Shiny Eevee after about 30-40 eggs, then I thought why not make another one for my nephew and after literally 12 eggs I got another one. Then I switched to Wooloo and got my third shiny within about two hours of gameplay (made a break in between) after hatching about 50-60 Wooloo eggs (mad though it doesn't have the ability I was aiming for).

So thats 3 shinies in about 110 eggs. Without the preperation eggs for nature, ability, pokeball etc. even less. I suck at calculating rates but I am sure I won't have that much again in the future.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Shiny raikou after 1,332 SRs. Yeah, I went in after dialga but I kept running into raikou, so I grabbed another syncer and started resetting the fuzzball.

Sync failed... raikou is naughty nature and mischievous, with Pressure. Still happy with it... Was not expecting it to shine this quickly.

Back to honedge. Now just have to decide if I want it in a beast ball, a heavy ball, or a moon ball. Leaning toward beast ball.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Forgot to update it here: about 9 hours into my hunt for a Pokémon in Eterna Forest, a shiny Budew graced me with its presence!
aOBaRtoMG8dbh4QkfYWxyOBQNjFYC30wlpt_n_TL8AU.jpg

Very lucky find indeed! Budew was my least wanted target in the forest despite its AMAZING shiny coloration because I already own two shinies of the line (I obtained a male shiny Roselia in 2013, followed by a female shiny Budew I hatched in late summer 2013 I believe). I decided to stick with what fate is giving me and left the forest after catching this gorgeous little girl. She's Serious natured and has Natural Cure, which I totally love. Nicknamed her Rosalie!
My ongoing hunt is Drifloon. Always wanted the little balloon in this crazy awesome yellow. I don't expect my luck to be so kind to me this time around!

Cyberra

pain in the ***
9,991 encounters into Phase #5 for apple and this shows up... https://twitter.com/TheMaster327/status/1239923183987224576

Naïve nature, which isn't the best...

Apparently apples are out of season right now or something. Or they just like messing with you. Good luck!

Edit: Well, that was quick... Shiny honedge after only 62 eggs. Adamant nature and capable of taking hits, with No Guard. Perfect 5IVs but the SpATK stat is listed as "very good" so it was dang close to being a flawless 6IV.

Going to start breeding for oshawott next. Normal ability, since I have been completely unable to obtain a Shell Armor oshawott.

Edit #2: Shiny oshawott after 93 eggs. What is my luck right now.

Male, Jolly nature and alert to sounds, with Torrent, and hatched in a dive ball. 5IVs missing DEF. Will still be an awesome samurott.

Up next: Unburden treecko

Last edited:

Everlasting

Everything stays.
I've been hunting Drifloon like crazy for the past week and it has yet to shine for me. I estimate about 7k SRs were made so far considering the significant amount of game time that was put into this hunt and that I can do about 125 resets/hour.
Out of boredom I purchased Pokémon Crystal on VC and "began" a Totodile hunt on the side to help me distract myself from that purple balloon that won't cooperate.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Shiny Milcery #1 is done in 340 Eggs!
2020032613450700-3C66B776DB1AA06323037049FACD96D3.jpg

2020032613485900-3C66B776DB1AA06323037049FACD96D3.jpg

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Hey guys! Congratulations to Cyberra on the Honedge and Oshawott, TheMaster327 on the Machamp and Mega Altaria on the Milcery!

I finally got it. After about 11 000 SRs on Diamond, I can finally say I have obtained my third BQ member!
DdSvqnI.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous colors. I nicknamed this little boy Chickpea! I got lucky with the nature, too! He's Modest! His IVs are pretty bad all around, highest being a 15 in Defense. Yikes.
So thrilled to leave this hunt behind, aaah! A dream shiny of mine finally obtained.

My next target shall be Combee in a honey tree! I always adored Combee, and considering the challenge I am in, I figured Combee would simply be the perfect shiny to hunt. It's a win/win scenario, really: if I get a male, he can be my team mascot and sit in the PC once I start getting more shinies (I can only have a party of 6 after all). If I get a female, well... that's just insanely lucky and totally amazing. I'd definitely use that for my team if I were lucky enough!

Good luck everyone on your hunts!

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Surprise Trade has been kind to me in terms of shinies, although my pride is with the random shiny Seismitoad I found. I have two black Gigantamax Charizards. Very kind, as they are holding Master Balls. Definitely going to save this for potential SRing in the DLC

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Well, that was quick!
I had a gut feeling this would happen after going over odds for Drifloon. After roughly 1300 SRs, Combee shone for me!

bW0uCQ9.jpg
That picture truly doesn't give it the justice it deserves. It looks so much more red on screen.

It is male, which isn't a shocker. I know I said that I would be fine with a male, and truly, I am (it is just SO CUTE!), but I can't help but feel like that red dot would've looked incredible on shiny Combee. Nature is Adamant, which I'm okay with, considering Bug Bite likely will be the only "viable" move it will learn, and his IVs are pretty average, but it does have nicer Defense/Special Defense IVs and a possible 30 in Speed! Special Attack is abysmal at 0-2.
I nicknamed him Phi after the greek letter. I wanted something related to phenalene, which is a molecule that strongly resembles Combee's shape, but 'phenalene' didn't sound like the right name for him. I went with Phi because I love greek letters, it's a three-letter word, and it looks like a short nickname for phenalene (Phi pronounced here as fee).

I don't know when I'll continue this BQ for the time being because I want to teach him Bug Bite before moving on (with my Pt copy) as I plan on using him for as long as possible :D The problem is, my other DS (and my games for that matter) are at my apartment on campus. When I left to visit my parents I didn't expect social distancing to push my classes online so I've decided to stay home with them for the forseeable future. Problem is most of my stuff is at the apartment and I can't drive there until Easter weekend...

Next target is going to be East Sea Shellos on Route 213, with 40-50% encounter rate. Buizel (30%) and Floatzel (10%) would also be appreciated! I'm just hoping I don't get bad luck and find a Wingull! Perhaps I could repel trick with a level 21 or 22 lead Pokémon.

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:

TheMaster327

So, after snagging the Shiny Charm, I finally got my target on Phase #7, which concluded on Thursday after 1,374 encounters! https://twitter.com/TheMaster327/status/1245823936350179333
Adamant nature, flipped to Modest with a Mint. And here's the evolution :) https://twitter.com/TheMaster327/status/1245830889340145665

Will likely update this post in a bit. At 720 eggs for Drampa currently.

Edit: So after 821 eggs, Drampa finally shines! (with SQUARES!) https://twitter.com/TheMaster327/status/1246536861717131265
https://twitter.com/TheMaster327/status/1246545845056491520
https://twitter.com/TheMaster327/status/1246547446047494144

Everstoned Quiet nature, and it got the 0 Speed IV I wanted for Trick Room. Up next, psychic monkey...

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Been having some nice shiny luck lately.

From some forum raids, was able to catch a shiny Charizard, a shiny Garbodor and a shiny Copperajah.

Via random raids, was able to catch a shiny Wooper and a shiny Grimmsnarl.