• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
880 for all 3 or just the third one?

Also what you are naming your Milcery/Alcremie? I cannot come up with a decent name for them lol
I have three already! I aim to get seven of them to get one shiny for each sweet. It's only this one that took 880 Eggs. Idk what to even name them.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I had a good week this week. Not only did I get two shinies I've never had before, I also FINALLY found my long-lost UltraMoon game that went missing months ago, so now I can finally get back to completing the Pokedex and getting the shiny charm.

I was stoked to get a shiny duskull for the first time ever, in Pokemon Go. I hope that's good foreshadowing for the gastly community day, as I'm dying to have a shiny gastly. I evolved it into dusclops and it spent two whole days at a local gym before getting knocked out. Nice.

Then, once I unexpectedly found my UM game, I decided to do an SOS hunt to get a shiny for my birthday, and chose bonsly as a target. Unfortunately it took until an hour after midnight to get bonsly, so I missed that birthday shiny, but I still like the shiny baby tree. ^_^ Hopefully soon I'll get the UM pokedex finished and finish the main game on Let's Go Eevee. I'm a LITTLE behind in my games, LOL, but I'm getting there.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Ended my month drought with an uncatchable shiny Poochyena in Sapphire! I lowkey wanted to be in the Pooch gang before getting Mudkip but I didn't expect it to hurt so much. Ah, well! I wanted a sign that shinies still existed and now I got one. Hopefully I don't get more than one.

EDIT: literally 25 MINUTES (and probably about 20-30 resets) after I found an uncatchable shiny Poochyena.... a shiny Mudkip popped into view. YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS UP!!

qOtIwg0.jpg

Cgm0lOq.jpg

I'm still trying to recover from the shock. What a way to end this drought!!! Unfortunately Mudkip wasn't female like I had hoped, but given the circumstances, I can most CERTAINLY forgive him for that. Lotus is Brave natured, which is amazing, and seems to have near perfect HP and Attack IVs. <3 He is the love of my life, and he also happens to be Sapphire BQ #1! I've been bouncing between numerous hunts to keep my motivation alive. Expect many more BQs to come in the future.

I'll keep pushing for the Johto starters and Munchlax, but as for what BQ #2 of Sapphire is going to be, I have decided that Whismur in Rusturf Tunnel would be my next target. I wonder what will shine next!

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Just got a legit shiny Thievul over surprise/wonder trade. :)

Everlasting

Everything stays.
After a month of hunting, over 100 hours put into it, which would indicate over 12 000 resets were made (and therefore 36 000 starters seen), a Johto starter finally shone on my Soul Silver game.

c0pk2fI.jpg
A golden little pear monster appears! <3 Shiny Chikorita looks stunning. Unfortunately, it is the one starter I said I wouldn't start a SS BQ with because Chikorita is my starter in HG and I've played the game many times with it. I want BQs to give me the opportunity to play with different Pokémon - that is why I've decided to phase on this particular hunt. Happy to learn that my Soul Silver isn't broken or anything, and finding a starter was exciting!
Sunrise is male, Brave natured and very adorable and bright. I plan on using him in the Kanto part of the BQ (which will be made up of a few phase shinies I get along the way), so he'll be back! But for now, it's onto phase 2 for Cyndaquil or Totodile. :)

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
He is very handsome! Congratulations! :) In the middle of a shiny Sobble hunt. No luck yet, but I've been wonder/surprise trading off the hatchlings who all have good stats.

Drummerdude

I got my first Masuda Method shiny in Sword/Shield yesterday morning. After 357 eggs I hatched a Shiny Adamant Druddigon! I've had a few hunts like Cramorant and Dreepy go well beyond 1000 eggs in the past so I'm glad that my game isn't actually busted. I might go back to Cramorant or start a new hunt like Shinx next.

Nakashima

Hi everyone!
I'm an old member here, its been a few years since I've been active. I just re-found my love for hunting the other day and have the itch to socialize with other hunters like I used to, sooo, hope you'll have me back lol.
Im currently playing through a copy of SoulSilver to get far enough to move mons over from gen3 games, and I'm hunting for a shiny Charmander in LeafGreen and FireRed! Only 250 SRs in, stuff goes slowly when you have to raise your kids while hunting ;)
So good to see this thread still alive!!

Golden_Arcanine

Had some really good Shiny luck, which is usually the exact opposite of what I'm usually getting.

Jumped into a random Accelgor raid last weekend and it turned out shiny, and last night I jumped into a Manectric raid and it was shiny as well. That wasn't the only raid shiny I managed to get into, I managed to get into a Mienfoo raid and it was shiny as well. And then I was going around the Isle of Armor collecting new Pokes to add to the dex, when I ran into a Stoutland which was shiny as well.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Hi everyone!
I'm an old member here, its been a few years since I've been active. I just re-found my love for hunting the other day and have the itch to socialize with other hunters like I used to, sooo, hope you'll have me back lol.
Im currently playing through a copy of SoulSilver to get far enough to move mons over from gen3 games, and I'm hunting for a shiny Charmander in LeafGreen and FireRed! Only 250 SRs in, stuff goes slowly when you have to raise your kids while hunting ;)
So good to see this thread still alive!!

I think I vaguely remember reading some of your posts in 2013-2014. In any case, glad to have you back!! :)

Guys I'm gonna cry of happiness... After getting Chikorita last Tuesday, I've been adamant on trying to find another Johto starter quickly because of how bad I felt for not starting my BQ with it. I'm so glad to say that I don't have to do this hunt anymore because phase 2 just ended!!

uwUAAiT.jpg

I couldn't say which one between Cyndaquil or Totodile I would've preferred to play through SS with, but I'm ecstatic to say that Ruugard the shiny Totodile will be my companion for this journey. This shiny is absolutely STUNNING. Male again (haven't had much luck with getting females of species with that gender ratio) and Impish natured, which is pretty good for a Totodile! I'm still mesmerized everytime he pops into battle. That combination of aquamarine and blue just.... UGH it melts me guys.
And while I have been feeling low about leaving Chikorita in the PC, I kept telling myself that I would be over the moon with a Cyndaquil or Totodile. It was hard, but eventually I got over it and I must say this was a great decision regardless. I will be having so much fun!

My main objective for now will be to finish my Diamond BQ by first finding Munchlax. As I've said a few times already, I am hunting multiple targets at once in order to keep the motivation alive. Now that I have 3 ongoing BQs, I think it is time I put the nail on my original one, which is so close to being done. Munchlax is a bit stubborn, however, not gonna lie. So to recap, here are my current targets:
Diamond BQ#8: Munchlax
Sapphire BQ#2: Whismur
Soul Silver BQ#2: Sentret

Good luck everyone! Excited for what's to come. :3

Last edited:

Nakashima

I think I vaguely remember reading some of your posts in 2013-2014. In any case, glad to have you back!! :)

That is very possible! ^^ Thank you! Glad to be back.
Congratulations on your Totodile! It is such a great shiny, one of the first I hunted. I agree the combination of colours is just so good!!

Well, I did NOT expect to report back with a shiny some 24 hours after my post about returning.. But I found a shiny. I wasn't even hunting, just playing through Ultra Moon to get a Poipole for my living dex. I was grinding up my team a bit while the kids were playing outside, so I couldnt even really see my screen because of the sun glare. I accidentally bumped the volume slider up (I dont have my sound on often) for a few seconds and I thought I heard sparkles. I couldnt really see my screen though, so I wasnt sure I heard it right - after all that'd be some insane coincidence, right?? Well.. I caught it to be sure - a Sandshrew, Alolan, and well, there was a star present! ^^ Sorry for the crappy picture, it definitely shows the glare... lol.
9N935Kv2Pue2_wRiC0MWn161Xj_q4jHSKGAI1XoQ8qKy2mPTGgxXEt2DNoDyfU2VcYf9iTBJbw6oSWYhglZgAwnqipkehhqXQzm0ehbN9Hxs1xhX65sKJLDv2ZYv0KM4l-3GKIV8gfkqBGjMwxQ_pdrTQk_EOND-hL7FLqij2WRkPmeZ-_1mV62a7yeDnbuwZgaTA5U1USrSXS5YZ8r6T4JEBHwTL5CfrL9IhoXq9xo8FD4QkQt1gAH4devvq1dtZZkvaBSROg5J_TP6y6u7Wz-1HGkC9Wxir_tEiWZUC_qmGzRKZyTU22mEsEleJYJir51L4QhcuYjBagbtNwTrsDkVqPpq_JfJOk6ehijpei8Xd5t4PnEDqYlcVDJsMM_ssS9dbhUT-UYb3JZ1lg3QYopwaTtb3iMRHyL-EW0qlErsH0xrAcqO_wTmSf9LHXDST8PcyC5s9_ECWx37tr49ieyow9i6AY8p-4mBF7pG41PDhVVF2vINAo4axRHv7Aqm9RPF7qcir4bgAy6t-6DtVX-9RBu2sdtBkheDRDLiRCcjRhDIAVathA4wvUGoQKFTuC1kt3ufl6Mq81vr8d89EB-Seq9Tl62bZDjp9yFLgrRd8Irze2p1cPbHVXTpv_YoJrmtnn7LOK3_nkUOcvKG8eV_jjU80iAY6WOx4E97049zYF7kIFjrgXYKvmOIvA=w562-h998-no

Drakonekoshi

Blah nearly 1000 or over 1000 eggs for shiny Sandile stopped counting 5th MM + Shiny Charm hunt in a row in Shield that's taken this long never had one that's under 1000 eggs still blah

Yeah I'm definitely over 1000 eggs, again, my friend started the same hunt to get one for me since their luck is way better than mines and they got it already, it really is just me having luck this bad.

Last edited:

TheMaster327

1,801 Murder Method encounters for the shiny noodle snek!
Eb16S8DU8AAILuO.jpg

It was also Brilliant, so came with the Egg Move Poison Tail. Calm nature, which is disappointing, but at least it can still be minted!

EDIT: 2 in 1 day! After only 446 resets, a shiny refrigerator greeted me!
Eb3cvffWoAMi_AX.jpg

This Rotom is Mild nature, and I managed to catch it in a Level Ball without too much trouble!

Last edited:

Nakashima

@Ashscot: That is one heck of a lucky find, in 3 eggs ^^ Can always try again for one with egg moves and HA! Congrats!

@Drakonekoshi: It's not just you having luck this bad, we all have droughts and bad luck streaks. My Heracross took me over 20k headbutts to get, and I still never did find that Snivy.. I dont remember how many SRs I ended up going to for that, but it was at over 15k. Keep hunting, you'll hit a streak of luck!

@TheMaster327: Now there's a name I definitely remember! Congrats on the noodle snek and the fridge! That's a good luck streak right there! Also, I have to ask since I see this in your signature.. Can you really hunt for shiny mew in the virtual console version of Yellow? And.. dare I ask.. can you then move it over all the way to Pokemon Home? Its one of my dream shinies so I really have to ask hah, been out of the scene for so long!

---

I finished up a personal goal yesterday, got through Shield to get Zamazenta to add to my living (non-shiny) dex. Now all Im missing there is Marshadow, which I missed out on in 2017 because Id just had my son. Getting over to gamestop with a newborn wasnt on my list of things to do hah.
With that out of the way I'll have more time for hunting that charmander! Sitting at 266 SRs, only did a handfull since last time. I have SS sitting at the Ilex Forest now so that is moving along slowly too. It feels crummy doing all this prep work while Im doing it, but I know it'll be worthwhile when I can actually move a shiny over when I get one.. Long haul thinking, not something I'm good at lol.

Last edited:

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I had good luck in my Pokemon Go game this week. :)

First, I managed to get a random shiny makuhita. Sweet!

Then, after days of the bug quest, I finally got my only shiny bug of the week, a shiny dwebble. I just barely managed to capture the sparkles. I heard that it was a bit difficult to spot the shiny dwebble but thought that couldn't be, because I could have sworn that it looks noticeably redder in the 5th gen games. Well, I was wrong, it definitely looks almost exactly the same. I'm glad I caught the sparkles, because I probably would have missed it.

Finally, I FINALLY got my first raid shiny since I started playing the game, a shiny mawile. ^_^ I was so shocked when it turned out to be shiny.

TheMaster327

[USER=261259]@TheMaster327
: Now there's a name I definitely remember! Congrats on the noodle snek and the fridge! That's a good luck streak right there! Also, I have to ask since I see this in your signature.. Can you really hunt for shiny mew in the virtual console version of Yellow? And.. dare I ask.. can you then move it over all the way to Pokemon Home? Its one of my dream shinies so I really have to ask hah, been out of the scene for so long!
[/USER]
Hey Naka, good to see you're back with the shiny hunts! In answer to your question, yes, you can hunt the Mew in VC Yellow via the classic Trainer Fly glitch but only if you have the specific OT/ID combo that will allow it to pass through Bank (being GF/22796). Any other combination will be flagged by PokéTransporter. The unfortunate thing is that hunting the exact ID is a 1/65536 chance. Here's a list of my closest IDs since starting the ID hunt (on and off since November 2018): 22701, 22702, 22704 x2, 22712, 22714, 22715, 22717, 22720, 22723, 22724, 22725 x3, 22727, 22730 x2, 22734 x2, 22735, 22739, 22743, 22750, 22753, 22755, 22763 x2, 22764, 22772, 22784, 22785, 22788, 22790, 22797. The 22797 I got was back in April 2019, with 22790 only happening last month.

The stats for a level 30 Mew (which is the level I intend to level it up to in order to check for shininess) are as follows:
HP: 101, 104
Atk: 66/68/69/71/73/74
Def: 71
Special: 71
Speed: 71

You will need to grab a Rare Candy and use MissingNo. with Trainer Fly to get more Rare Candies to easily level up the Mew to quicken the hunt.

Good luck with your hunts!

Last edited:

Kansas_Rocks!

Awesomeness Trainer
I took a break from a Salandit egg hunt to breed up a good natured and IVed own tempo Rockruff and got a blue one. Sorry I don't have pictures.

I did find a weird wild overworld spawn mechanic that may help some hunts. If other people have found it, then describing this may be a waste of time.
Each already spawned overworld pokemon will be facing south after a wild battle. In fixed camera routes, South is the downward direction. In the wild area, south is away from Hammerlocke, in the Isle of Armor, south is away from the desert. Since they always face south, you can take advantage of that against the overworld pokemon that actively run away from you, like Noibat or Skwovet. They stop running from you and face south after any wild battle. If they are running from you and you are north of them,, doing a different random encounter will reset them and face them away from you, so you can more easily sneak up on them. I am currently using it to keep Chanseys that spawn on screen from disappearing so I can hunt them and train a team the old fashioned way at the same time.

Nakashima

@wobbanut: Congrats on three new shinies! Youre not wrong though, dwebble in gen 5 was very noticable as a shiny! Sometimes colours get adjusted as we move through gens and end up making the shinies look less different, esepecially when we moved from sprites to models.

@TheMaster327: Oooof that really adds another layer to the hunt doesnt it. The shiny itself isnt half as rare as the ID, yikes. Might be worth just buying a gba action replay to port to the dang island in Emerald at that point... Unless shiny mew from faraway island in European games cant be transferred?
My dang husband had a gba action replay, Ive even seen it in the last 5 years.. and we have no dang idea where it went, nowhere to be found >.>

@Kansas_Rocks!: Congrats on Rockruff! A lovely shiny :)

---

Still moving through SS, not much to report on shiny-wise. It's just nice to be able to talk to you all heh.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Munchlax is giving me so much trouble. Its sprite simply won't change color. I try to focus most of my attention on it, but when I get unmotivated to hunt Munchlax, I know it is time to bounce. So I've been hunting Whismur a bit more. I also received last friday the tally counter I ordered to keep track of my encounters. I'm 1418 REs in for Whismur so far. I can't believe how fast REs are in RSE. I can do 200 encounters in an hour on a single console!!