• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

RedJirachi

Veteran member
What do you think is the favorite shiny you ever got. Me, it'd probably be the surprise Nidoran female and Quagsire in the FRLG Safari Zone and Pastoria Marsh respectively

Genos

The Indigo Disk
Found 3 shiny max raid pokemon in one night! :eek:
uxGo9cV.png

5boOBvG.png

zXw5IV3.png

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
5th Shiny Milcery in 533 Eggs! A little long but there's two more to go!
2020071923161900-3C66B776DB1AA06323037049FACD96D3.jpg

2020071923165500-3C66B776DB1AA06323037049FACD96D3.jpg

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Got two shiny Gastlys in a row in Go today!

946f10fe48f70ca7732a1bfe5764960c475a89d2.jpg

fa7a46658d36415fa4d64c9a3375aa0a98b7d992.jpg

cbbecd5037ceb5ba79d14afe8f7b43260fce1afd.jpg

Last edited:

Everlasting

Everything stays.
I seriously don't know what to say...

pOpTkH9.jpg

Shiny Froakie after a ridiculous 145 SRs?? I've been hunting Munchlax day and night on Diamond for almost 2 months now and this is all it takes for Froakie to shine? I'm pleasantly surprised. And I certainly won't mind sacrificing Munchlax a little while longer for this, considering how cruel the XY starter resets are... WOW!! I'm in complete disbelief.
Froakie, to be nicknamed Cloud once I reach the namerater, is male :rolleyes:, Quiet natured and has pretty good IVs all around. Nature isn't the best, but it allows it to be a better mixed attacker at least....
This is Y BQ#1. I know I seem to be starting BQs left and right but try to see it this way: I don't hunt shinies outside of BQs anymore, so this is just me hitting a hunt after another. I have things under control, don't worry! :D

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Finally found a shiny Sharpedo raid! Was able to catch it.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Who managed to get the shiny Wailord? I did

Nakashima

Got my 2nd shiny in the LeafGreen badgequest I decided to start after getting charmander! ^^
Went around hunting in Mt Moon, was kinda hoping for a Clefairy but figured Id get a Zubat or Geodude. Turns out, it was a Geodude! ^^

IMG_20200720_224402.jpg

She was very easy to catch, just put her to sleep and in the first ball she went :)

IMG_20200720_224537.jpg

Not sure what I'll hunt for the 3rd shiny in my badgequest, open to suggestions!

Last edited:

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Congratulations everyone on their new shinies! I really like that golden Geodude of yours, Nakashima. Keep it up! :D

I have some news as well!
No, it's not Munchlax, unfortunately. I've actually just hit the 2 months anniversary on when I began this hunt lmao.

But I have secured my Y BQ member #2!
WQYQTaE.jpg

MALE, again. I really wanted this one to be female in order to fit the nickname better (been rewatching The Legend of Korra after my Avatar: The Last Airbender rewatch) and for me to finally get a shiny female Pokémon with this gender ratio, but the name will do for either gender I suppose! Its coloration is so pretty. <3 Came in after a pleasant 398 SRs (1592 seen thanks to having 4 fossils). I've been double hunting Amaura and Munchlax for a few days to distract myself from the latter. I gotta say, 1/4096 might not be as rare as 1/8192, but it is the rarest one could find Pokémon of this generation, and they can be relieving some of the irritation associated with 1/8192 hunts. I'm just happy to have more than one Pokémon in more than just my Diamond BQ.
Next up, I think I'll try to focus on Munchlax and Whismur a bit more. My third target in my Y BQ will be a full odds breeding for a shiny Skiddo. I don't feel like phasing: X and Y are pretty evil with their encounter rates and the very limited repel trick options.
EDIT: Full odds breeding is even more evil than the encounter rates in X and Y LMAO!! I'm switching up my hunts for this BQ. I'm pretty satisfied with my plans now. I'm on Route 5 (Purple Flowers) hoping to get Skiddo, Pancham, Furfrou or Bunnelby! I will phase if I get anything else.

Good luck everyone!!

Last edited:
Sandygast finally shone after 1484 eggs. Probably one of the MM hunts with the most eggs I've ever done.

Also didn't go for the shiny Wailord since I already have one I chain fished for in Alpha Sapphire.

Gonna try for Fletchling now.

willprogresivo

Creepy Uncle
I still don't care about Shinies as I think 99% of them look awful, but I got the idea to try and get the ones I actually really like. Starting from my favorite Shiny ever (Mega) Gardevoir. I don't have the Charm (can't be bothered to complete the dex), so I'm Masuda-ing without it in USUM. It is my understanding the odds without the charm are 1/683 and the odds with it are 1/512, so it's not even a significant improvement IMO. I'm 702 eggs in and nothing. I know "1 in 683" does not guarantee a Shiny in 683 eggs, not even in 1366 eggs, but I thought I'd be luckier...

I just hope when the shiny comes, if it ever does, it's not male.

I still don't care about Shinies as I think 99% of them look awful, but I got the idea to try and get the ones I actually really like. Starting from my favorite Shiny ever (Mega) Gardevoir. I don't have the Charm (can't be bothered to complete the dex), so I'm Masuda-ing without it in USUM. It is my understanding the odds without the charm are 1/683 and the odds with it are 1/512, so it's not even a significant improvement IMO. I'm 702 eggs in and nothing. I know "1 in 683" does not guarantee a Shiny in 683 eggs, not even in 1366 eggs, but I thought I'd be luckier...

I just hope when the shiny comes, if it ever does, it's not male.
Just a handy tip. If you breed a shiny in gen 7 and you reset your game, it guarantees a shiny to be bred after the exact same amount of eggs for 7 resets. The gender won't change though, but if it happens to be male you can reset, switch out your pokemon in the day care and you'll still get a shiny at that egg count.

Actually used it myself a lot, breeding Magikarp eggs since they hatch fast, then resetting and swapping them for something else.

On a side note, just hatched a shiny Fletchling after 383 eggs, Bergmite's next.

Last edited:

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I got two shiny gastly on Sunday, one of which I evolved to Gengar, so I'm very happy. ^_^ I've never had shiny gastly before (which was especially frustrating last October in Pokemon Go), so I'm glad to have two. Now I can't wait for the fest coming up.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Try taking a break for a bit. It took me 4 years to find a shiny Ditto, hunting off and on.

Try taking a break for a bit. It took me 4 years to find a shiny Ditto, hunting off and on.
4 years? Wow, was it full odds pre-gen 6? That's some insane length for a hunt. I think the longest one I've done was Cobalion in US and it only took about a month.

And now I realize I still have to beat UM for the version exclusive legendaries in there but I'm really not looking forward to playing the game itself because of all the cutscenes. Still gotta do all the Ultra Beasts too in both versions.

Also, hatched a shiny Bergmite after only 67 eggs so that was nice. Trying for Clauncher next.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
4 years? Wow, was it full odds pre-gen 6? That's some insane length for a hunt. I think the longest one I've done was Cobalion in US and it only took about a month.

And now I realize I still have to beat UM for the version exclusive legendaries in there but I'm really not looking forward to playing the game itself because of all the cutscenes. Still gotta do all the Ultra Beasts too in both versions.

Also, hatched a shiny Bergmite after only 67 eggs so that was nice. Trying for Clauncher next.
Yep, but it was full odds gen 6. Via a Ditto friend safari. It was being very stubborn. :p Took some breaks from time to time, but came back to try some more.

Nice.

Still working on trying to get a shiny Sobble. Over 500 or so eggs hatched with no luck yet.

Did some pre gen 6 shiny hunting though. It took over 200 hours a piece to soft reset for a shiny Totodile in Gold version and to hunt for a shiny Koffing in Crystal version.

Still working on a soft resetting for a shiny Cyndaquil in Silver version and a shiny Turtwig in Platinum version.

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

I am in complete shock here.

So I'm going through X trying to find Pokemon to transfer to OmegaRuby to complete my National Dex, and I go to Rt. 3 looking for a Dunsparce. After about 15-20 minutes of searching, I get a Shiny Litleo. All right, I have the Shiny Charm and I've had a ton of shinies in X thanks to the Friend Safari, so that's a nice bonus. Not 5 minutes later I find the Dunsparce and move on to Rt. 8 looking for Qwilfish and boom, Shiny Clauncher. Did I have a stroke or something? I mean I've had a lot of success with shinies in X because of the Friend Safari and again, I do have the Shiny Charm. But 2 shinies in 5 minutes by random encounter? Even with the Shiny Charm the odds of that happening are astronomical.