• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Zigzagoon finally shone after 2216 eggs. That took a really long time.

I'll see what the next target is. I'm thinking of Torchic since Hoenn starters are now available and it's the only one of the three I'm still missing. Might be one of the new Regis too since I've read you can only catch one per game so I'll have to SR right off the bat for them instead of using my Shield to hunt them. I'll probably go for Regidraco on Sword and Regieleki on Shield but I'll see when I'll do those.

jssr903

Hi everyone!

Yesterday I finally found that shiny Mareep I was hunting for my HeartGold badge quest! Unfortunately I missed the initial shine as I wasn't paying attention and was playing while charging my DS, so was at an awkward angle. I almost ran away, but then I noticed it looked different. After seeing 2715 regular Mareep, I found my shiny! Pics under the spoiler. I'm training Zeus up before I challenge Bugsy, and then I'll try my hand at a headbutt hunt. Not sure what pokemon I'll be hunting, but I want it to be a pokemon introduced in gen 2. Could do Heracross, Hoothoot, Pineco, or something else. Feel free to offer suggestions!

Congrats to everyone who's gotten a shiny since I last posted!

p3h8t7vcuvu51.jpg

TheLink

Eunie is as Eunie does.
Kind of cross-posted from the general Crown Tundra thread, but I just completed the first mandatory Dynamax Adventure as part of the DLC, and ended up with Hitmontop, Aurorus, Slowbro, and Suicune to pick from at the end. Both the Hitmontop and the Suicune were shiny and I didnt realize it until I checked their natures.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
The Eeveelution hunt is done for good! This one took the longest, at 1440 Eggs! Finally I can take a good break from Masuda method hunting.

2020102422335400-3C66B776DB1AA06323037049FACD96D3.jpg

2020102422342000-3C66B776DB1AA06323037049FACD96D3.jpg

Everlasting

Everything stays.
I'll try to make this shorter than my last post, ahah!

6Skrelp.jpg

I fished up a shiny Skrelp on my Y BQ, so that's #6 for this BQ! I'm especially proud of this one because this is full odds! It started off as me moving in between reels, but I soon learned that backing away from my fishing spot and returning to it wasn't breaking the chain, as I found a shiny Shellder and a shiny Skrelp very quickly. I released both once I found out they weren't full odds started over, this time purposefully missing a reel in between fish.
I love that Skrelp is female!! I wanted to nickname her Olga from the start (since that was the nickname of my chain fishing Skrelp I had found too easily). Quiet natured, which is an amazing nature!
Next target for this BQ specifically will be Spewpa in Berry Fields! It's a pretty unique and fun hunt, and I want to take advantage of the fact that my native Vivillon pattern is the Polar pattern. <3

Good luck!

Last edited:

Genos

The Indigo Disk
Completed a night of dynamax adventures

f0iPvu6.jpg

Found this shiny Flareon after a failed Rayquaza run. Least I got to keep this one!

QOCFLIL.jpg

It was a choice between this or a shiny Crawduant. Went with the legendary, because shiny Groudon is way cooler.

Drummerdude

I got two shinies in Shield this morning! First a Morpeko which is my only shiny from Dynamax Adventures so far. Secondly I encountered a Shiny Amaura after only 102 encounters! I may try Tyrunt next to complete the 6th gen fossil set.

KierTronik

Oshawott is bab
I (Someone without any shiny hunting experience) am going to start a Pokemon sword badge quest!
And I don't know any way to hunt at the beginning of the game other than just encountering pokemon.

Last edited:
Decided to start a Regidrago hunt. Which is the first time I'm SR hunting on the Switch, which takes a bit longer than on the 3DS.
Luckily it's not in a too hard to reach place (like the Ultra Wormholes) so I can always take breaks if I feel like it.

Also looking forward to the Dynamax Adventures. Especially the Tapus and Necrozma since they were shiny locked in gen 7. Too bad Sword has the same version exclusives as Ultra Sun where I've already finished hunting all the legendaries.

Also a quick question, does anyone know if you can see if Regigigas is shiny? I've read it's not a part of the Dynamax Adventure but is fought in a max raid battle after you get all the regis. But I'm wondering if it can be seen in the battle itself or after a capture as is the case with Dynamax Adventures. Wondering if it'd be a good idea to hunt in Sword or if I'd better complete Ultra Moon and hunt it in there.

TheMaster327

Well today has been quite the successful day in Adventures!

Think it might be time to progress the Crown Tundra story now!

EDIT: Make that 5 in 1 day! Only 262 runaways!!!

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I'm going to save the Dynamax Adventures shiny hunting for when I get to playing Sword. That way I have good experience to begin the hunt. On that note; is the shininess set when I first encounter a legendary or only when I decide to catch it

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I'm going to save the Dynamax Adventures shiny hunting for when I get to playing Sword. That way I have good experience to begin the hunt. On that note; is the shininess set when I first encounter a legendary or only when I decide to catch it
You won't tell if the Pokemon is shiny until after the selection screen. I would imagine that you can keep not selecting the legendary and wait until you get it to shine in the selection screen. I've been doing that, albeit for good nature/IVs.

Also, since I was curious, say you caught a legendary but you would select a shiny Pokemon over it. You may ask yourself, "what's the probability that at least one of the other Pokemon I caught will be shiny?". Assuming you caught all three other Pokemon, the probabilty that at least one of those is shiny is 2.97%.

Edit: Also, this is presuming you have the shiny charm, which isn't too difficult to grab.
Edit 2: You can also minimize the condundrum by only capturing one other Pokemon if you wanted to.

Master Leo

The Dark Side
YESSSSSSS!!!!!!! Finally, after 28,025 RE's, I have my 6th LG BQ shiny! Sloooooooooooooowpoke (First Movie reference :p)

Encounter:
21ne1cj.jpg

Summary:
fvz9td.jpg

I can finally leave Seafoam Islands and train my team. Hoping to get Poliwag caught up with the rest of my team.

I have no idea where to hunt for my 7th BQ shiny. Any suggestions?

Ran across my SP today while cleaning and realized I never finished the badgequest I had going on. Came back here to see when I last posted about it and it was a whole 7 years ago lol.
Gonna try and get back into it, but its good to see this thread is still going.

Since today is the 3rd anniversary of my first successful shiny hunt, I thought I'd make a list of every shiny I've caught so far:

• October 31st, 2017 - Magikarp/Gyarados - Sun - Brooklet Hill - SOS
  • November 4th, 2017 - Fomantis/Lurantis - Sun - Lush Jungle - RE
  • November 19th, 2017 - Sneasel/Weavile - Sun - Mount Lanakila - RE
  • July 12th, 2018 - Whismur/Loudred/Exploud - Alpha Sapphire - Rusturf Tunnel - RE
  • July 13th, 2018 - Doduo/Dodrio - Alpha Sapphire - Safari Zone - RE
  • November 1st, 2018 - Yungoos/Gumshoos - Ultra Sun - Route 1 - SOS
  • November 2nd, 2018 - Magikarp/Gyarados - Ultra Sun - Brooklet Hill - SOS
  • November 4th, 2018 - Roggenrola/Boldore/Gigalith - Ultra Sun - Ten Carat Hill - SOS
  • February 13th, 2019 - Miltank - Sun - Paniola Ranch - RE
  • March 4th, 2019 - Ferroseed/Ferrothorn - Black - Chargestone Cave - RE
  • August 18th, 2019 - Paras/Parasect - Ultra Sun - Brooklet Hill - SOS
  • October 23rd, 2019 - Comfey - Ultra Sun - Lush Jungle - SOS
  • March 14th, 2020 - Bunnelby/Diggersby - Sword - East Lake Axewell - RE
  • June 6th, 2020 - Pikachu/Raichu - Alpha Sapphire - Safari Zone - PokeNav
  • June 12th, 2020 - Rayquaza - Ultra Sun - Cliff World - SR
  • June 19th, 2020 - Jigglypuff/Wigglytuff - Sword - Fields of Honor - RE
  • September 21st, 2020 - Virizion - Omega Ruby - Pathless Plain - SR

(Not including Events, Ultra Wormhole, Non-Hosted Raids, and Max Raid Adventures (that are not legendary))

I'm also probably gonna do a Shiny Poliwag hunt in Y today (or Registeel in Sword)

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Ran across my SP today while cleaning and realized I never finished the badgequest I had going on. Came back here to see when I last posted about it and it was a whole 7 years ago lol.
Gonna try and get back into it, but its good to see this thread is still going.
It's good to have you back, Master Leo!! You pulled that post from WAAAAYYY back though! 2013 was my cringe year! :eek:

Munchlax is still giving me trouble and refusing to let me finish a badge quest. I'm hoping I can find it by the end of the year.
I've also been hunting Spewpa on the side a lot! I'm very excited to get my shiny Vivillon. :3

Master Leo

The Dark Side
It's good to have you back, Master Leo!! You pulled that post from WAAAAYYY back though! 2013 was my cringe year! :eek:

Munchlax is still giving me trouble and refusing to let me finish a badge quest. I'm hoping I can find it by the end of the year.
I've also been hunting Spewpa on the side a lot! I'm very excited to get my shiny Vivillon. :3

Likewise lol. Reading my messages from back then was pretty rough, but thanks and good luck on the Munchlax.

I've been hunting before bed since my last post and got lucky. Wasn't counting so I'm not too sure of the how many encounters but it didn't seen like much.

Last edited: