• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Phillies

I'm glad I found out a few months ago that some evolved pokemon (but not 3rd stage) can be shiny in the wild in Pokemon Go. I would have lost out on the chance for a shiny houndour if I hadn't tapped on it. I almost lost it because I clicked run in my surprise.
I did not know this. Do you know which ones can be shiny?

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I did not know this. Do you know which ones can be shiny?
Serebii's Pokemon Go page on Shiny pokemon available has all the available shinies, which 2nd stages can be found in the wild and which can only be obtained through evolution (and some 3rd form starters). It looks like most that can be shiny when evolved are those that have mega evolutions or variants. What I can find are:

1st gen: venusaur, charizard, blastoise, beedrill, pidgeot, Kanto ratticate, Alolan raichu, golbat, gloom, arcanine, alakazam, slowbro, gengar, Alolan exeggcutor, Alolan marowak, Galarian weezing, seadra, gyarados

2nd gen: togetic, ampharos, espeon, umbreon, steelix, scizor, houndoom

3rd gen: manectric, altaria
(gardevoir, camerupt, banette, glalie, salamance, metagross, and sharpedo should be available later I figure)

4th gen: lopunny, abomasnow, glaceon
(garchomp, gallade, and lucario should be available later)

5th gen: Hisuian braviary

None from gens 6, 7, or 8

TheMaster327

Decided to group these 5 together...
Ledyba is Rash with Early Bird!
Ledian is Jolly with Swarm!
Spinarak is Jolly with Sniper! (HA)
Ariados is Quiet with Swarm!
And Crobat (very happy to finally snag this from SOS) is Timid with Inner Focus!

Up next will be Chinchou!

Feity

Storm Trainer
Was lucky enough to catch a shiny Scyther in the Bug Catching Contest on Soul Silver this morning. Only went there in the 1st place to catch a Nincada but I guess today was my lucky day.

By the way was the shiny Genesect that was given away in Japan to celebrate the 16th movie ever released in the US or Europe?

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Was lucky enough to catch a shiny Scyther in the Bug Catching Contest on Soul Silver this morning. Only went there in the 1st place to catch a Nincada but I guess today was my lucky day.

By the way was the shiny Genesect that was given away in Japan to celebrate the 16th movie ever released in the US or Europe?
Japan Only: https://www.serebii.net/events/dex/649.shtml

In other news: I'm planning to get a few shiny Rogenrola soon in Pokémon Go!

TheMaster327

Lot more updates...

So I managed to get a couple of Chinchou!
First one Relaxed with Water Absorb (HA)
Second Modest with Illuminate (changed to Volt Absorb)
After that, got myself a Pichu!
Pichu is Naive nature with Static
And tonight finally finished off Cleffa!
Cleffa is Modest with Friend Guard (HA)

Currently going after Igglybuff!

TheMaster327

Even more updates...
Igglybuff is Modest with Friend Guard (HA)!
Togepi is Modest with Super Luck (HA)!
The second Togepi, now Togetic, was also Modest with Super Luck!
This first Natu, now Xatu, is Modest with Magic Bounce (HA)!
The second Natu, remains a Natu and is Modest with Early Bird.

Up next, Mareep SOS!

TheMaster327

A nice, quick Mareep line...

Up next, MM for an Oddish for Bellossom!

Vindicated30.6

Ace and Aspie, for life and light!
I have decided to do some Spoopy Pokemon Shiny hunting for Halloween month! Here's my wish list. No particular order.
1) BDSP Darkrai
2) Sneasel/Weavile
3) Gengar line - Mega / G-Max ?
4) Banette
5) Dusclops line
6) Mismagius line
7) Mimikyu
8) Giratina
9) Chandelure line
10) Pumpkaboo line
11) Alolan Marowak

TheMaster327

More updates...
Now Bellossom, is Timid with Chlorophyll!
This one was a pain, has Aqua Jet and Belly Drum as egg moves and Huge Power!
Fortunately, second one took less time. Now an Azumarill and same stuff as her brother!
Sudowoodo is Adamant with Rock Head!

Currently going for the 1% Politoed SOS but I might pick up a Poliwhirl if I run into too many.

Vindicated30.6

I've been shiny hunting in Dynamax Adventures this week and I now have Drednaw, Machoke and Giratina added to my shiny dex!

TheMaster327

Xionea

Half a centaur
I got a shiny Rhyhorn in GO finally! Missed out on all of the CDs it was a part of, so randomly getting one feels nice.

In other news, I've decided to go for a Dream Team Quest, something I didn't think I'd actually do but eh, why not? There's a lot of shinies that I really want that I don't have yet and a full team of them are conveniently in one game (kinda).

My plan is to do this on Ultra Moon, as it has the most exclusive shinies I want:
1. Primarina. I'm NOT SRing for the starter, despite the cutscenes being shorter in USUM. It's still like 2 minutes long per reset and that sounds like torture so I'm going to play through normally until I get access to trading then hopefully get a foreign Ditto to MM (otherwise I'll just get one from another copy I own if I don't get one before online shuts down).
2. Ribombee. Beautiful pink shiny, and one of my favorite Pokemon I used in my original Gen7 playthrough, I plan to RE this or SOS.
3. Whimsicott. This is the only one I'm going to need to get on Sun since it's exclusive to Sun/Ultra Sun. Same deal as Ribombee, either RE or SOS. Also the main reason I decided to do this challenge. I was planning to do a Trial/Badge Quest but I'll save that for another game.
4. Dhelmise. I've always wanted to use a Dhelmise, plus the shiny is super cool. Going to MM this one since I don't want to fish for it outside of the inital encounter.
5. Naganadel. Loved Naganadel when I first got it, so I want to SR for the Poipole. I never got the shiny that was distributed awhile back, plus this is the only way to get its shiny right now.
6. Pheromosa. The queen herself, the one I've tried hunting for many many times but I always give up on. I want shiny Pheromosa bad. I love the Ultra Beasts and I did successfully SR for shiny Nihilego in UM a few years back, so I can certainly do it again!

I wanted to do Type:Null but decided to scrap that idea since it's post-game. Volcarona was another contender, but decided not to since I already have a shiny Larvesta from Shield. Corsola was my last idea, but decided for Primarina instead since I was just gonna MM it anyways (Corsola SOS has Mareanie encounters sometimes and I don't feel like risking that).
Undecided on which my first will be, but I probably won't shiny hunt until the daycare and/or the ability to buy Adrenaline Orbs comes up, so I might float between the first three since the latter half is late game stuff.

Xionea

Half a centaur
Dream Team Update #1:

I got Popplio after 1025 eggs! Hatched at midnight while I was catching up on the Pokemon anime! (78 episodes this shiny took...)
RuSNbeZ.jpg

No shiny charm, so this was 1/682~ with MM. Sucks that it went pretty far past odds, but I'm just happy I got it before Scarlet and Violet dropped. I also don't want to hatch eggs anymore for awhile lol.

Next goal is SOS chaining either Cutiefly or Cottonee, leaning more towards Cutiefly for now since I'd have to run through Sun's story to get to Cottonee, but we'll see.

Vindicated30.6

Dream Team Update #1:

I got Popplio after 1025 eggs! Hatched at midnight while I was catching up on the Pokemon anime! (78 episodes this shiny took...)
RuSNbeZ.jpg

No shiny charm, so this was 1/682~ with MM. Sucks that it went pretty far past odds, but I'm just happy I got it before Scarlet and Violet dropped. I also don't want to hatch eggs anymore for awhile lol.

Next goal is SOS chaining either Cutiefly or Cottonee, leaning more towards Cutiefly for now since I'd have to run through Sun's story to get to Cottonee, but we'll see.
I got a shiny Cutiefly in Moon years ago! I love my shiny Rimbombee!

TheMaster327

More updates!
Aipom was very quick, as I said in my last post, only 33 calls! It ended up Calm.
As you can see, was not a fan of Sunkern hatching! Everstoned Quiet nature.
And today hatched a blue bug! Everstoned Modest.

Now hatching Woops. Hopefully can get that line done before SV. Full odds Sprigatito eggs will be the first hunt there.

Last edited:

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
Stores when November starts. (This is a link.)
Here's an image of it:
IMG_2737.jpg

Those darn green reindeer are here already. It's still November, people!

Last edited:

DJX

Shiny hunter
Hey guys it's been a good few years since I was shiny hunting. Especially in my favourite games Xy. Started playing pokemon scarlet and having a blast so far. I'm a gym in and have found not 1 but 2!! Full odds shinys being a nakil and a flittle! I have no idea what or if they evolve but these 2 are tiny pokemon so really had to pay attention!! I'm now constantly checking everyone I come across.