• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Vindicated30.6

Ace and Aspie, for life and light!
My second day of playing Violet and I ran across a Hoppip and said "that's not supposed to be green!" First shiny, less than four hours into the game!

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
Two days after my shiny Stantler and I've caught these:

IMG_2739.jpg
IMG_2742.jpg

The Wattrel I caught yesterday, and the Snorunt I caught just a few minutes ago.

EDIT: Two days later, and I found a shiny teacup.

IMG_2748.jpg

EDIT 2: Over the past few weeks, I've caught several more shinies.
From mass outbreak shiny hunting: Bombirdier (x2), Finizen, Veluza.
Paradox Pokemon: Great Tusk, Slither Wing, Flutter Mane (x2), Roaring Moon (x2).
General encounters: Murkrow, Hoppip, Sableye, Impidimp.

Last edited:

Vindicated30.6

I'm currently shiny hunting Solgaleo in memory of the pilot of the White Tiger Zord. RIP JDF.

Reactions: DJX

DJX

Shiny hunter
No updates for me yet working on the shiny charm! I saw 2 shinys in my first couple hours and none throughout the rest of the game. Probably did but didn't recognize. I'm probably gonna hunt all the new mons first, starting with the starters! Gl on hunts

DJX

Shiny hunter
OMG not a pokemon I wanted as much but breeding for the dex and the very first egg shiny clauncher!! Should have shiny charm tomorrow depending on gimmighoul. Stoked about masuda method in this game click the link to see i think it will work! Shiny!

DJX

Shiny hunter
More updates! I got the shiny charm and went to a mass outbreak after 1 yes 1 ko I got a shiny Big fish so i went to the next outbreak and just before it ended ! Shiny tatsugiri. My luck Is insane recently.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
At least I finally finished UltraMoon after the console the game I had it in went missing for two years. Finally I finished the pokedex and got the shiny charm, I can move on, no more wormholes for the foreseeable future. Phew. I'm playing a major game of catchup with these games, now I'm going to work on finishing Let's Go Pikachu, but it's a lot of fun if a lot of work.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
OK, so I have been in the post-game of Scarlet and I've been both re-looking past environments and surprise trading in hopes of completing the Pokedex. What do I find looking for a Rotom near the V-Tuber gym leader? A blue Kirlia. Fortunately I was able to just chuck a Quick Ball. If Mega Evolution was a still a thing, it would've been perfect

Vindicated30.6

Considering that Masuda method odds are just as good as outbreaks with a shiny charm, I think I will go back to doing Masuda, especially since the weekends are being dominated by these raid events that don't offer Herba Mystica as rewards, and breeding has become ridiculously easy via picnics. I'm also jumping back into Dynamax Adventures, and got a shiny Reshiram over the weekend!

Just managed to catch a shiny Shinx in Pokémon Diamond. Was using the Pokéradar on Route 2 and it popped up after only six uses. Lucky!

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
Finally got my “dream” shiny, a Roselia in Legends: Arceus. Shame its nature is Adamant but I can have it make a quick trip to Sword if it need be. Other shines I have obtained recently were a Combee and H-Sneasel in Arceus and a Raichu in Violet, sadly missed a shiny White Stripe Basculin in Arceus. Them being so skittish makes it quite challenging to try to catch them.

Vindicated30.6

Last Sunday I had randomly ridiculous luck. Within about half an hour, I got a shiny Bunnelby, shiny Bronzor and shiny Galarian Darumaka! Normally, I'm lucky if I find one shiny in six boxes of Masuda eggs, so three in half an hour is nuts. Hope I didn't burn about several months of shiny luck doing that. :D

Last edited:

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
You seem to get a lot more than normal in these games. I think because everything’s front and center. Three weeks ago I got to Meditites in a row, less than five minutes from each other. Caught a Hawlucha two nights ago (so cool looking), Buizel, Rolycoly, Riolu, Eiscue, list goes on.

The big one is going to be Cetoddle/Cetitan. Or something really slick like Umbreon or Noivern. Those I’ll Hyper Train, use Mints on, etc.

Vindicated30.6

You seem to get a lot more than normal in these games. I think because everything’s front and center. Three weeks ago I got to Meditites in a row, less than five minutes from each other. Caught a Hawlucha two nights ago (so cool looking), Buizel, Rolycoly, Riolu, Eiscue, list goes on.

The big one is going to be Cetoddle/Cetitan. Or something really slick like Umbreon or Noivern. Those I’ll Hyper Train, use Mints on, etc.
If you play Go, this coming Sunday is Noibat Community Day, with an increased chance of shinies. That could easily knock another off the to get list.

Edit: just got a shiny Mawile!
Edit 2: And a shiny Blitzle!

Last edited:

Vindicated30.6

I got a shiny Seel but instead of transferring it to LGE where I could power level it into a Dewgong, my dumb self moved it straight to Home. So the only place I can evolve it with my current game collection is BD. I haven't played BD in months, and when I moved it over and fired it up, I remembered that I had last saved in front of Darkrai to SR for its shiny. I don't want to leave that position because I don't want to screw up my chances of shiny Darkrai. .-.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I didn't catch any new shinies with the Hoenn tour, but the best thing was I got to reclaim shiny Solrock. I had given it away to a friend thinking I had one to spare, and it wasn't until I looked at my Pokedex after that I realized I only had the one. Now I have shiny Solrock again, so I'm happy. ^_^ I let my friend keep my original one since she wanted it. Now if I can just get shiny Poochyena and Torchic in the game, I'll be really happy.

Vindicated30.6

I have made it my mission to shiny hunt the original 150, one per day, counting down from Mewtwo! I also want to take the weekends to draw that week's shinies in pencil. My national shiny dex is currently at 105 so I'm about 1/10th of the way there!

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Last edited:

Vindicated30.6

I spent a couple hours tonight shiny hunting Geodude in Mt. Moon on my copy of Let's Go Eevee. Catch combo of 130 and nada yet. I also confirmed firsthand that trading them for Alolan Geodude in Vermilion City doesn't break your catch combo.