• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official News Thread - Misc To Replace CNN

I just find it a little sad how the word 'terrorist' is now synonymous with Muslim/Islam.
No one cares about the fact that there are extremists in every religion.

Condolences for the people who lost someone over this.

If you think ISIS is carrying this out for the sake of religion, then sorry to say but you really shouldn't talk about this.

When ISIS fighters state religion as a motivator, you don't believe them? I wonder what it's like to have such powers of perception that you understand what drives the actions of terrorists more than they do.

No one wants to condemn all Muslims or brand them all as terrorists or terrorist sympathizers, or at least I don't. You can become part of the problem when you dismiss or refuse to acknowledge that religious doctrine plays an important role in fueling atrocities like these, though. To try and completely divorce religion from terrorism is a mistake. I don't mean to imply terrorism is a feature unique to Islam, there are plenty of Christian terrorists. In fact I would say they are a far greater threat to the U.S. than jihadists by a wide margin. I'm just not going to play this game where people are afraid to mention religion as a possible factor involved.

Everyone can also thank the Bush administration for helping create the circumstances that led to this tragedy. :)

Last edited:

chalkus

Ultimately the solution is ideological change. Even if the French and allied powers cripple ISIS, some other extremist group will likely take its place in the subsequent power vacuum.

Yes, but they exist right now and have the money and organizational skills to attack again. A message has to be sent, their soldiers have to be crushed. Even if something else oozes to the top afterward, deal with that when it happens.

When ISIS fighters state religion as a motivator, you don't believe them? I wonder what it's like to have such powers of perception that you understand what drives the actions of terrorists more than they do.

No one wants to condemn all Muslims or brand them all as terrorists or terrorist sympathizers, or at least I don't. You can become part of the problem when you dismiss or refuse to acknowledge that religious doctrine plays an important role in fueling atrocities like these, though. To try and completely divorce religion from terrorism is a mistake. I don't mean to imply terrorism is a feature unique to Islam, there are plenty of Christian terrorists. In fact I would say they are a far greater threat to the U.S. than jihadists by a wide margin. I'm just not going to play this game where people are afraid to mention religion as a possible factor involved.
I don't think it is a problem necessarily of mentioning religion. It is mentioning Islam in particular. There is an environment today of hypersensitivity and also the 'gotcha culture' led by social justice warriors who have deemed any language that they find uncomfortable to be equal to bigotry. Hence all the talk of Islamophobia. Even the president is too afraid to really tackle this issue. A problem cannot be addressed unless it is confronted, and today, sadly, Islamic extremism isn't.

As for Christian terrorist being a bigger threat, that's a false equivalency. Show me how many well funded, well organized Christian terrorist groups there are killing people around they world because of their faith as opposed to Muslim groups. The answer isn't even close.

Everyone can also thank the Bush administration for helping create the circumstances that led to this tragedy. :)

Ah, the age old, 'Blame Bush,' excuse. The conflict in Syria started out as a protest against Assad, and he responded by killing his own people, which turned into a rebellion. What does that have to do with Bush going into Iraq? And it is interesting how you mention nothing about the moderate opposition in Syria risking their lives for months posting video after video of the atrocities being committed against them with no action being made by Obama. How about Obama's red line that, when crossed, he backed away from? When ISIS killed people across Iraq and Syria, he labeled them a JV team, until they were about to commit genocide. Then when he did try to train the rebels, the process was so poorly handled that only a few ever finished it, and out of them, most are dead or captured. Now we have this horrible migrant crisis that ISIS has used to send their agents to infiltrate Europe. If Obama and the international community took the Syrian crisis seriously instead of turning a blind eye, maybe the problems that exist today would not be as great.

But yeah, this is all George Bush's fault. I mean, why not. If Obama still blames the Crusades from over 900 years ago for today's problems, why shouldn't Bush get blamed too.

Yes, but they exist right now and have the money and organizational skills to attack again. A message has to be sent, their soldiers have to be crushed. Even if something else oozes to the top afterward, deal with that when it happens.

I don't think it is a problem necessarily of mentioning religion. It is mentioning Islam in particular. There is an environment today of hypersensitivity and also the 'gotcha culture' led by social justice warriors who have deemed any language that they find uncomfortable to be equal to bigotry. Hence all the talk of Islamophobia. Even the president is too afraid to really tackle this issue. A problem cannot be addressed unless it is confronted, and today, sadly, Islamic extremism isn't.

As for Christian terrorist being a bigger threat, that's a false equivalency. Show me how many well funded, well organized Christian terrorist groups there are killing people around they world because of their faith as opposed to Muslim groups. The answer isn't even close.

Ah, the age old, 'Blame Bush,' excuse. The conflict in Syria started out as a protest against Assad, and he responded by killing his own people, which turned into a rebellion. What does that have to do with Bush going into Iraq? And it is interesting how you mention nothing about the moderate opposition in Syria risking their lives for months posting video after video of the atrocities being committed against them with no action being made by Obama. How about Obama's red line that, when crossed, he backed away from? When ISIS killed people across Iraq and Syria, he labeled them a JV team, until they were about to commit genocide. Then when he did try to train the rebels, the process was so poorly handled that only a few ever finished it, and out of them, most are dead or captured. Now we have this horrible migrant crisis that ISIS has used to send their agents to infiltrate Europe. If Obama and the international community took the Syrian crisis seriously instead of turning a blind eye, maybe the problems that exist today would not be as great.

But yeah, this is all George Bush's fault. I mean, why not. If Obama still blames the Crusades from over 900 years ago for today's problems, why shouldn't Bush get blamed too.

More U.S. citizens have died since 9/11 at the hands of right wing militia groups than they have at the hands of jihadists. That's a fact. Muslim extremists could never be a bigger threat to the U.S. than Christian extremists because they don't have the power nor clout to actually infiltrate our government. Christians on the other hand do. Every battle to protect American democracy from creeping theocracy has been against Christians, not Muslims. Whether it's fighting to keep creationism out of schools, removing the ten commandments from public courthouses, banning mandatory prayer in schools, fighting for marriage equality, etc. By the way, the Lord's Resistance Army is a good example of a Christian terrorist group active in multiple countries. Perhaps Google some of these questions before you pose them like they have no answer...?

I'll get to the rest of your post in the politics thread, but if you're not of the opinion that the Iraq invasion created the political circumstances for ISIS to flourish, I have my work cut out for me.

Last edited:

chalkus

More U.S. citizens have died since 9/11 at the hands of right wing militia groups than they have at the hands of jihadists. That's a fact.
Yes, that is a fact. And the recent arrest of two men trying to start a race war is another unfortunate example of that fact. However, most of these acts are being committed by small minded racist individuals out of their own ignorance. Most of the time, there is no training, or access to larger organizations that support them. If a plot is foiled, that usually is the end with it. Not so with groups like ISIS. Even if you get one guy, the likelihood of having to face another to take up the cause is high, and you're also dealing with people who have no regard for their own lives let alone anyone else. Of course, terrorism is terrorism, and neither is to be taken lightly. However, there is more to consider than just the number of deaths involved.

Muslim extremists could never be a bigger threat to the U.S. than Christian extremists because they don't have the power nor clout to actually infiltrate our government. Christians on the other hand do. Every battle to protect American democracy from creeping theocracy has been against Christians, not Muslims. Whether it's fighting to keep creationism out of schools, removing the ten commandments from public courthouses, banning mandatory prayer in schools, fighting for marriage equality, etc. By the way, the Lord's Resistance Army is a good example of a Christian terrorist group active in multiple countries. Perhaps Google some of these questions before you pose them like they have no answer...?
Wait a minute? Are you actually arguing that being a far right winger is equivalent to terrorism? I don't agree with teaching creationism in Science class, but that's just bad policy. How you see this as being anything remotely close to what we saw in France is besides me. Even if these far right wingers got into government and tried to enact all those things, there is the law to contend with. None of that stuff could fly in the court so it would all be a wash to begin with.

As for the terror groups, I never said there weren't any far right groups. I challenged you to compare the number of well funded, well organized, well manned far right groups to those of Muslim groups around the world actively engaging in terrorist attacks. And the truth is, the numbers do not even compare. And I notice that my analysis of Obama's handling of the situation flew over your head. Perhaps you are Googling that now yourself.

I'll get to the rest of your post in the politics thread, but if you're not of the opinion that the Iraq invasion created the political circumstances for ISIS to flourish, I have my work cut out for me.

Bush going into Iraq definitely played a large role in destabilizing the region. If Saddam were still alive, ISIS might not have had a foothold in Iraq. But even that is debatable, since they are in Syria despite Assad still being in power. However, I'd love to see how you are going to prove that the people of Syria would not have protested against Assad were it not for Bush.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Islamic people have basically shunned ISIS whenever asked, they basically have zero support from them. The current "head" of ISIS was just someone who didn't like what happened to Iraq after the U.S. invasion.

Silver Soul

Islamic people have basically shunned ISIS whenever asked, they basically have zero support from them. The current "head" of ISIS was just someone who didn't like what happened to Iraq after the U.S. invasion.

Indeed. And the latest attack in Paris was attempt to frame the Syrian refugees and make their lives hell due to people being quick to judge the majority for the actions of the few. I'm looking at you Trump and Carson.

Nothing "flew over my head" chalkus, I just responded in a limited way because I had no desire to co-opt this entire thread for debate purposes. Bobjr commented on our discussion, I guess that's an indirect green light that I can proceed? I don't know.

My phone won't let me copy and paste, so if anything that sounds suspect you'll have to verify yourself. Apologies for the inconvenience. Anyways, I'm not ashamed to compare right wingers to Islamic fundamentalists in this instance. They have a surprising amount in common, especially when it comes to obsession with controlling women's bodies, reproduction and pushing religious dogma. Sure, they aren't the exact equivalent of terrorists, in the sense they go out of their way to blow things up to make their point, but the policies they support still yield death and destruction. That isn't grossly exaggerating either. When you can't get access to healthcare and you're sick, you die. When women don't have easy and safe access to abortion and contraceptives, their death toll rises too. Threatening to massively cut food stamps and SNAP benefits, or worse eliminate them altogether, would cause plenty to starve. The alternative to welfare is people starving in the streets! Cutting disability would obviously raise casualties as well.

Creationism in schools isn't just bad policy. It's theocratic bullying, and it opens the door to more theocratic encroachments. The more and more entrenched religion is in government, the harder it is to fight.

Now, ISIS also did not start in Syria. They invaded Syria. They started in Iraq. Sadaam would have never allied with ISIS, and he had a much more brutal and strong grip over the country than Assad did with Syria. Sadaam had secret police and informants everywhere, a group like ISIS would have been stamped out like a bug at the first whiff of dissent. He was so strong as a dictator that neighbors would turn eachother in as rebels or dissidents in order to get rewards like life saving medicine, which was in short supply because of Iraqs crippling sanctions too. If we didn't invade Iraq, it is highly unlikely that me and you would be here right now talking about ISIS.

Even if there are more Muslim terrorist groups than Christian ones, that doesn't mean that Muslim terrorist groups are a greater threat to the U.S. Ascertaining threat isn't just a numbers game. Proximity, power, and agenda are bigger, more important factors to consider. At any rate, I don't know what else to say if you believe the U.S. government would sooner be taken down by overseas groups who sometimes blow up buildings than bible wielding politicians threatening to dismantle it from the inside.

Obama's handling of the situation was to be expected. He wasn't able to drum up enough public support. 90% of the public opposed intervention in Syria, even if chemical weapons were being used. What's he guilty of? Representing the country?

@ Silver Seoul & Bobjr

I don't think whether most Muslims disagree with ISIS has weight in determining whether Islam is or isn't a factor in this mess. Most Christians don't agree with the KKK, yet the bible still condones slavery. Calling them Islamic doesn't legitimize them, the teachings of Islam legitimize them. Until all the clerics and mullahs get together and apply some white out to their holy book, in other words until an Islamic reformation takes place, that will continue to be the case.

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I don't think whether most Muslims disagree with ISIS has weight in determining whether Islam is or isn't a factor in this mess. Most Christians don't agree with the KKK, yet the bible still condones slavery. Calling them Islamic doesn't legitimize them, the teachings of Islam legitimize them. Until all the clerics and mullahs get together and apply some white out to their holy book, in other words until an Islamic reformation takes place, that will continue to be the case.
Religion is what you make of it. I've had a Muslim doctor who, I know, wouldn't have hurt anybody because
A. It wasn't in his nature.
B. That's not how he interpreted the scripture.

It's not like Muslims haven't condemned the acts of ISIS and previous terrorists like Osama Bin Laden. It like if the WBC became a violent terrorist group for Christians. Would Christians interpret the Bible that way?

Spacial

procrastination
While fictitious, this seems relevant.

The attack on Paris seemed very much like a test, of how the world would react, of how much havoc ISIS could wreak and of the political stance on Syrian refugees. They may be many things - bigoted, morally wrong, horrible in general - but they wouldn't do something so cataclysmic for no reason.

chalkus

My phone won't let me copy and paste, so if anything that sounds suspect you'll have to verify yourself. Apologies for the inconvenience. Anyways, I'm not ashamed to compare right wingers to Islamic fundamentalists in this instance. They have a surprising amount in common, especially when it comes to obsession with controlling women's bodies, reproduction and pushing religious dogma. Sure, they aren't the exact equivalent of terrorists, in the sense they go out of their way to blow things up to make their point, but the policies they support still yield death and destruction. That isn't grossly exaggerating either. When you can't get access to healthcare and you're sick, you die. When women don't have easy and safe access to abortion and contraceptives, their death toll rises too. Threatening to massively cut food stamps and SNAP benefits, or worse eliminate them altogether, would cause plenty to starve. The alternative to welfare is people starving in the streets! Cutting disability would obviously raise casualties as well.
I think you really need to take a step back and analyse what it is you are actually saying, because I see a major false equivalency here. No matter what you may think of Repubs, are you actually saying that their views compare with active attempts at genocide, raiding villages, killing men, raping women and young girls, selling women and young girls, etc. Are you actually taking that as a tenable position? That because Repubs are anti abortion and ACA, that equates to death and destruction on an ISIS scale? Come on! You can't be serious. As for making comparisons, I could easily draw parallels between Bernie Sanders and Hugo Chavez. Doesn't mean that they are one and the same. Hence the false equivalency.

Creationism in schools isn't just bad policy. It's theocratic bullying, and it opens the door to more theocratic encroachments. The more and more entrenched religion is in government, the harder it is to fight.
And like I said, there is the law to deal with. You make it sound like they can do whatever they want, whenever they want with no repercussions.

Now, ISIS also did not start in Syria. They invaded Syria. They started in Iraq. Sadaam would have never allied with ISIS, and he had a much more brutal and strong grip over the country than Assad did with Syria. Sadaam had secret police and informants everywhere, a group like ISIS would have been stamped out like a bug at the first whiff of dissent. He was so strong as a dictator that neighbors would turn eachother in as rebels or dissidents in order to get rewards like life saving medicine, which was in short supply because of Iraqs crippling sanctions too. If we didn't invade Iraq, it is highly unlikely that me and you would be here right now talking about ISIS.
You're missing my point. Assad did not try to align himself with ISIS yet they still invaded his country. They also have a presence in other Middle Eastern nations. It is impossible to say for sure that ISIS would have been unable to invade Iraq even if Saddam was there or not. You can't compare a small band of rebels to a well funded group with tens of thousands of well trained soldiers.

Whether they would have gotten into Iraq or not, the Syrian rebellion against Assad would still have happened, and ISIS would still have invaded that nation, so we would be here talking about it regardless. From what you're saying, you seem to point to Saddam's death being the catalyst for ISIS, and I just don't see how that alone would have made that much of a difference.

Even if there are more Muslim terrorist groups than Christian ones, that doesn't mean that Muslim terrorist groups are a greater threat to the U.S. Ascertaining threat isn't just a numbers game. Proximity, power, and agenda are bigger, more important factors to consider. At any rate, I don't know what else to say if you believe the U.S. government would sooner be taken down by overseas groups who sometimes blow up buildings than bible wielding politicians threatening to dismantle it from the inside.
You're making the mistake of comparing a bunch of mostly separate, ignorant individuals to a well funded, well trained, well armed, calculating group like ISIS. Just look at what happened in Mumbai, Egypt, Beirut and Paris. Are you seriously arguing that some racist piece of trash killing a some people because of his backwardness is equivalent to terrorists planting bombs and storming highly populated soft targets with automatic weapons? I can bet that the Feds are paying more attention to the latter than to the former.

Obama's handling of the situation was to be expected. He wasn't able to drum up enough public support. 90% of the public opposed intervention in Syria, even if chemical weapons were being used. What's he guilty of? Representing the country?
He was the one who proposed the red line in the first place? Are you telling me he did not know the American people did not want to fight a war then? And after he imposes his red line, Assad leaps over it, and he backs off. It makes him look totally weak, and it also tells our allies that if they are in trouble, America might not have their backs.

And let's not forget that the Obama admin went into Libya without even having congressional approval, let alone the support of the people. Where was his concern then?

I'm well aware of what I'm saying, though I appreciate your sincere concern. No matter which way you look at it, if the political right were to get everything it wants in terms of policy, the destruction of social security, welfare, healthcare, etc. there is no disputing the following death toll as a result of those policies would pale in comparison to the deaths that ISIS is responsible for. The only differences I am seeing are the specific targets in question and methods being used.

I'm not sure why you place such faith in the law, considering the law is only as good as the men who choose to enforce it. Japanese internment camps, creationism being taught in schools, etc. If you like more modern examples of unconstitutional laws you can take a peek at states regulating immigration, state abortion laws that violate Roe V Wade, etc.

I don't think I missed your point, but I think it's possible you glossed over or ignored mine. Sadaam had an iron tight grip over Iraq. It is highly unlikely that ISIS could have thrived and built itself up enough to pose a threat to his rule under the radar, without being noticed. You want to mull this over by saying "No one can know for sure." which is just silly. First, I said "highly unlikely" and that statement just flies in the face of broad consensus among foriegn policy/defense analyst experts. Being the contrarian in this instance just makes you appear foolish. By all means though, you can continue to trust in your own deep breadth of knowledge. Sadaams death didn't lead to the rise of ISIS, the complete collapse of the Iraqi government and widespread sectarian violence led to the rise of ISIS.

I think we're passed realizing that individual acts of right wing terrorism aren't the same things as well funded, organized group terrorism. The point was never that they were equivalent. The point was that far right, Christian terrorism is a far bigger threat to the U.S. than Islamic terrorist groups. Statistically speaking, it's a cold fact that the average American Joe is much more likely to die from the former than the latter. That means it's a bigger threat. You seem to be confusing immediate threat with potential threat, it's like saying the pack of hyenas thirty miles across the savanna is a bigger threat than the lion stalking you in the bush.

Yes, Obama proposed the redline. What you seem to be forgetting is that the issue of chemical weapons was resolved diplomatically. The U.S. said it would cease threats of intervention if Assad gave up all of his chemical stockpiles, and he did. We won! Without shedding blood. That's a good thing. Thank God Obama didn't do what he threatened. If you or the rest of the world want to perceive Obama as weak for solving an international crisis without the use of military intervention, billions of dollars pissed away, and innocent lives being shed, that's your problem.

Last edited:

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Remember when President Obama went from a casual dinner to killing Osama Bin Laden? Considering all that could have gone wrong and how he kept his cool that entire night he's stronger willed than most people out there.

I do! Let's not forget that he technically invaded Pakistan to do it, something that John McCain explicitly stated he would not do if elected. Not only did Obama get the guy, if it wasn't for him getting elected, he'd likely still be at large.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
And now a shooting was done in San Bernardino, California, at a rehabilitation center. 12 dead, 20 injured. It was caused by three men dressed in military outfits.

I wish they ban weapons to everyone but the military and certified people already.

Bananarama

The light is coming
And now a shooting was done in San Bernardino, California, at a rehabilitation center. 12 dead, 20 injured. It was caused by three men dressed in military outfits.

I wish they ban weapons to everyone but the military and certified people already.

Exactly. Guns should be a privilege, not a right. If we let dangerous people own guns, then these horrifying tragedies will keep happening.

I hope and pray that these mass shootings will stop happening. R.I.P everyone affected.

Remix2

We're in 2015 and the usa is the only modern country in the world that had mass shooting every week.

We should be a shame for ourselves.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
We're in 2015 and the usa is the only modern country in the world that had mass shooting every week.

We should be a shame for ourselves.

shame on the media. If they didn't glorify shooters by making it front page news, less people would be influenced to do it.