• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official News Thread - Misc To Replace CNN

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I don't think this is really much of an update on the shootings, but yeah, this guy is mentally ill. He told police he was the Joker.

The official, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed reports that the suspect, identified as James Eagan Holmes, 24, told police in Aurora, Colo., that he was the Joker, a reference to one of the most prominent villains in the Batman canon.

The source told NBC News that the suspect had dyed his hair red or orange, which isn't typically associated with the green-haired Joker character.

Izanagi

'Sup!
I am deeply sorry for those innocents who were caught up in this tragic event. However, it doesn't surprise me really because people have always been stupid things this incident only proves how messed up people can really be. The incidents also proves how vulnerable places such as movie theaters really are.

BlazingCold

The man must've been mentally ill or something. They said it's no terrorist attack, so the guy must've just snapped and decided to go kill people or something. There's just really sick people out there.

That is really awful. I try to see the bright side in knowing the world still has good people in it, but then these kinds of stories pop up. Still, at least it mentioned people were trying to shield their family members from the bullets, so that helps restore the faith a little, but the real story overshadows it.

Fact is; the guy was on track to get a PHD, and that can take you long ways. Anyways, this is a theory that the dude was a perfect student, throughout his whole life, including his student days at UC Riverside (google). But he was getting B's and C's at the time, and he withdrew and got this sick plan.

Squirel Princess

Goldenrod City
Colorado

most people know about that shooting over in colarado at that movie theatre. were any of u there? what do u think of that guy who shot everyone?
for me, my heart goes out to the families of the dead and injured and to everyone affected. that seemed like a senseless shooting... and what is in his house that he had to boobytrap it for? i hope theres not a bomb cause its an apartment.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
My sister and I were planning to see the Dark Knight Movie at midnight on Thursday but we changed to early Friday and when I got up and got on the internet I was so shocked to hear about the shooting. We put the movie on hold and I've been watching the news all day. It's so disgusting how sick people can be. Is no place safe in the world? I can't imagine the horror of that, going to the movies with your family and friends looking to have a good time and some crazy guy shoots up the place. I mean the world is evil enough but now you can't even go to the movies with your loved ones without fear of being shot? My heart goes out to the innocents of this shooting. Those poor families. This just shows how dark the world is.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I thought an article said he had bombs on him...

Anyway, it's an awful tragedy. The guy is most likely mentally ill (especially since he identified himself as the Joker), but he knew what he did. I hope he gets the sentence he deserves and rots in Hell for what he did. There was no reason why he had to go shoot up a movie theater. It was just full of people waiting in line to go see an anticipated movie. As far as I know, there were no public officials there for him to target. He probably had the sick pleasure of killing. Apparently he was trying to get a PHD in med school, but he wasn't getting good enough grades, so he dropped out and then this happened. Whether that's the truth, or just an excuse, I have no sympathy for this bastard. And I think his parents (or at least his mom) knew what was going on, but they didn't seem to have done anything. They could've prevented this from happening, but at least it looks like they're disowning him.

The people at that theater didn't deserve this. What gave him the right to kill innocent people whom he probably never knew in his life? As if the people in Colorado weren't going through enough this year.

Squirel Princess

Goldenrod City
kutie that is so right. there was tear gas thrown in before he opened fire, everyone has said that.
also last i heard, about 8 hours ago, they were getting the robot in.

3D992

The Living Hologram
I heard some interviews of the people who were in there. He bought a ticket and went into the theatre. A little into the movie he went out an exit door and left it propped open so he could get back in. He went to his car and got 'armed up' then went back inside. He threw a smoke bomb down the isle and open fired. He pointed his gun at one girl but didnt shoot (dunno why but she sure is lucky). Someone said he was dressed as Bane but I checked up on it and I think he was trying to be the Joker. In case he was killed shortly after he had his apartment rigged to explode (that'd kill the police, bomb squad, and everyone in the five surrounding apartments). They're sending in the bomb squad now after evacuating the apartments. As far as we know his parents have nothong to do with the shooting, however his mom saw it on the news and identified her son. As of now he wont spill any information to the officials. It's unknown why he went psychopath. He had great grades and was going to be a doctor. Hopefully the police can get more information out of him, then execute the death penalty. I pray for the families of those killed and for those still recovering from bullet wounds.

Spookz

Lumos
I don't think this is really much of an update on the shootings, but yeah, this guy is mentally ill. He told police he was the Joker.
Okay, I REALLY resent that statement. As someone who has been diagnosed with mental illness, I detest how quickly everyone gets jumpy and declares mass-murderers to be mentally ill. Most people who say this have no real experience or understanding of mental illnesses. As far as I know (I did a short session of research before writing this and found no conclusive evidence) he is not mentally ill. I did find an article (Mass murderers often not mentally ill, but seeking revenge, experts say) linked directly from the article you posted.

As they're still trying to get evidence, to find plans or motivations, no one can really say for sure why he did it. Maybe he was mentally ill, that's still to be seen. I'm sure in the coming weeks we'll learn more.

Until we do know why, let's stop with the ridiculous stereotyping and blame the person, not any possibilities of mental illness.

DarumakkaImposter

I use mentally ill as another form of crazy or just flat out stupid. I don't believe that she intended to use it correctly. Of course, I could be wrong.

In my opinion, I don't see how others could go and mercilessly kill someone for the sake of fun. Unless they do have some kind of mental illness, I see no excuse for it.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
I still can't believe he actually considered himself the Joker, even after being arrested he still choose to act like he's some sort of Comedian.

Poke Trainer J

Japan Passes SOPA Alike Into Law...

http://www.japanator.com/uh-oh-japan-passes-sopa-alike-youtube-could-be-outlawed-23714.phtml

http://aramatheydidnt.livejournal.com/3933325.html

Well I guess it was only a matter of time until a country other than us would be threatened by the same SOPA/PIPA laws that U.S. Congress tried to pass several months ago only this time it's hit Japan. Other countries around the world may have had similiar bills passed into law but I feel glad that we managed to dodge a major bullet, too bad the public of Japan didn't put up much of a fight against their own Government regarding the Anti-Piracy law that passed there.

Not sure what this will mean to the International Otaku Community though... >__>

matt0044

I respond to this with a solemn face and a slow chewing on my cucumber.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
Not sure what this will mean to the International Otaku Community though... >__>

I wouldn't worry too much about it, since it won't stop piracy at all.

It still be business as usual.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Mind you some of the comments are about a month old, making this thread a bit outdated. All I can say for Japan is ya dun goffed.

32er

TM87? I got TM32 :]
The law also obligates national and local governments to educate minors on illegal download prevention.
I find that hard to believe lol.

Anyway this sucks for Japan, but I think it'll end up taken out of place eventually.