• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official News Thread - Misc To Replace CNN

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Last edited:

Ascended Dialga

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
So it looks like the DOJ's planning to do an antitrust investigation into Alphabet's Google subsidiary.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/31/doj-preparing-antitrust-probe-of-google---dow-jones.html
The U.S. Justice Department is planning an antitrust investigation into Alphabet’s Google subsidiary, The Wall Street Journal reported on Friday. The effort will touch on web search and other parts of Google, the report said.

The report comes amid discussion from politicians and the public about whether large technology companies should be broken up. Government pushback on Alphabet in search could hit at the core one of the most highly valued publicly traded companies in the world.

Alphabet racked up $136.8 billion in revenue in 2018, with 85% of it coming from advertising. Google controls more than 70% of the search engine market, according to NetMarketShare.

Google has faced antitrust pressure in the past.

In 2013, Google said it would change some practices after it agreed to a settlement with the U.S. Federal Trade Commission. The FTC had been concerned that some of Google’s business practices could stifle competition

In 2010, the company received an antitrust complaint from the European Commission regarding ranking of shopping search results and ads, which resulted in Google being fined $2.7 billion in 2017, according to Alphabet’s latest annual report. In 2016, the EC complained about practices related to Google’s Android operating system, leading to a $5.1 billion charge in 2018.

And in March the European Union ordered Google to pay around $1.7 billion because of advertising behavior.

Recently, Google has also come under political pressure in the U.S.

President Trump has been critical of big tech, including accusing Google of political bias in its search results. In March, Trump tweeted accusations that Google’s YouTube and Twitter favored Democratic opponents over him and Republicans.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren, who announced her 2020 presidential candidacy in December, has pressed for breaking up tech companies like Google. In a widely read post published on Medium in March, Warren said she was interested in appointing regulators who would be interested in undoing what she called “anti-competitive mergers,” including Google’s DoubleClick, Nest and Waze.

“Current antitrust laws empower federal regulators to break up mergers that reduce competition,” Warren wrote.

Google wouldn’t be the first U.S. technology company to face scrutiny from the Justice Department. That agency launched a major antitrust case against Microsoft in 1998 that led to several rules the company had to follow for years.

The Justice Department had no comment. Google didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment.

We'll see where this goes.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
We’ve got till 2050. That’s it—just another 31 years before 90% of mankind is annihilated by climate change, says Australia’s Breakthrough National Centre for Climate Restoration. The BNCCR is an independent think-tank that aims to inform the conversation around climate emergency in Australia. Its recent report reinterprets existing data to arrive at this dire conclusion.

Source: https://www.cntraveller.in/story/wo...utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social#s-cust0 (Conde Nast Traveller)

Ascended Dialga

So... a group of men in Boston plan to hold a "Straight Pride Parade" in late August. Yes, you heard that right. One of the organizers is John Hugo, the Republican candidate for MA's 5th congressional district last fall, who lost to the incumbent. Another organizer is Mark Sahady, who is involved in a group called Resist Marxism, which was founded by an alt-right figure (which doesn't surprise me, honestly) named Kyle Chapman. The third organizer is a "gay ambassador" named Chris Bartley. More info here: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/05/us/straight-pride-parade.html

And here's a link to the parade's website: http://www.superhappyfunamerica.com

Sigh... seriously? In no country on Earth have people been put to death for being straight. Never have straight people been denied the right to get married. Straight people never had to seek refuge in remote places only to get raided by police for simply being who they are. Straight people have never been tortured with conversion therapy to make them gay. Straight people have never gone out in public with a constant fear of being judged for being straight. Straight people have never been called slurs for being straight. Straight people have never had to "come out of the closet". Straight people have never been driven to suicide after being bullied for being straight. Nobody ever called heterosexuality a mental illness. Need I go on?

Let me be clear: I'm straight myself, but I see no reason to be proud of my heterosexuality. Thankful for not having to deal with the societal struggles that gay people have dealt with for years? Yes. Proud? No.

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Unfortunately, Youtube streamer Etika has committed suicide by presumably jumping off from the Manhattan Bridge. His body was found down the East River. He was 29.

He had been fighting depression and suicidal thoughts for a while. On April, police detained him when he apparently tried to kill himself with a gun while streaming, so he was taken to a mental hospital (...and was released the same day. Really?). RIP.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
**** all the kids who joked and meme'd his whole situation, even inciting the whole thing was just a publicity stunt.

If there was nothing you could do for him, the least you could have done was either pray for him or keep your mouth shut.

My thoughts are with his family.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
**** all the kids who joked and meme'd his whole situation, even inciting the whole thing was just a publicity stunt.

He actually kinda encouraged memes in his final message since he was aware people would do that (I don't know where this came from, just copy-pasting it from someplace but it's apparently a tweet he had made or something--I cut out the emojis since they were big for some reason).

I'm sorry for betraying all of your trust. I'm sorry for the manipulative things I've done, and I'm sorry I never sought help for myself. I've made my bed, and now I've got to sleep in it. Please learn from my example. Don't be like me. Don't push away the people that care about you. I've always lived my life as a clown, so I guess that's all my "legacy" will amount up to. Don't let this social media shit consume you the way it did me. I pushed away and hurt so many of you. The good times however! MAN were they good. I've lived an incredible life filled with thrills and happiness. Even though I always was an odd ball out, I used that as my strength and brought together an incredible community of insane wild bois just like me. God I'll miss you all so much. I was mentally troubled, and far to stoneheaded to admit it, far too stubborn to face it, and far too scared now to deal with it. God... I'm so sorry I hurt you all so badly. I'm so sorry I betrayed you all. I mislead so many of you, I manipulated, I lied, I shifted blame... I don't know what awaits me on the other side, but I'm ready to face it. As far as we know, there is no life after death. My time ends now, but if there is a way for me too, I'll send you all as many blessings as I can from the other side.

Thank you all for helping to making my life the incredible tale it was. I'm sorry it had to end on such a heartbreaking note. Though I know for SURE hella people are gonna prolly laugh at it LOL I just hope there's at least some fresh me-me's that come of it. I'm dying as a guy hated by a lot of people, so I know you all won't let me down haha. Well, that's my cue. Time for me to go. I mean this with every bit of my heart... Take care of yourselves, and of course, as usual, please have yourself a damn good one.

But this is a sad situation. He had opportunities to get the help he needed, but he said in his final video he turned them down, and New York I don't think can legally institutionalize someone without probable cause (such as the patient being unable to consciously make their own decisions). He recognized he was fucked in the head, but was okay with the decision he made. He was... oddly peaceful in that video.

Only was aware of Etika here and there, never checked out his videos, but it's still sad it had to come to this. Guess he saw it as the best way out, whether that was the right choice or not. Sucks, man.

Hydrangea

Just a creature
Staff member
Etika was very much a positive guy. Honestly a poster child for the fact that mental illness can affect anyone, even if they seem happy on the outside. I'm devastated that he did not get the help he needed sooner (I understand it's hard to recognize and affirm that you need the help, especially when you don't want to admit that there's anything wrong) and I wish his family the best.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
RIP to legend Etika. He was pure, humble, funny and good man. I remember discovering him in 2016 when I watched reactions to SM games. I never watched his streams and I watched some of his reactions.I was sad that he committed suicide. I remember when SS trailer came out, I was trying to see if Etika reacted to them so he did. Sad that he didn't get to play it. RIP, indeed(he would've chosen Scrobunny).

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member

Ascended Dialga

A huge story coming out of Hong Kong. For those of you who don't know already, the citizens in Hong Kong have been protesting in the streets recently in opposition of an extradition bill that would give mainland China more control over the city-region. Today, which happens to be the 22nd anniversary of Hong Kong's handover from Britain to China, the protests have escalated greatly. The protestors clashed with police and went as far as breaking into the Legislative Council complex.

Hong Kong protests, explained:

Hong Kong's Legislative Council overrun by protestors:

Ascended Dialga

Update on that Boston Straight Pride Parade. Last week, the city of Boston approved the permit application for the march, which is scheduled for August 31. It will follow the same route as June 8th's Boston Pride Parade. Straight Pride co-organizer said “Perhaps one day straights will be honored with inclusion and the acronym will be LGBTQS. Until that time, we have no other choice but to host our own events.” Alt-right figure Milo Yiannopoulos, who is openly gay, will be at the parade as its grand marshal. He said that he “spent [his] entire career advocating for the rights of America’s most brutally repressed identity: straight people.” SMFH

More info here. Man, this is so stupid... https://www.vox.com/identities/2019/7/1/18761623/straight-pride

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
For some strange reason, there is a purge going on in Hong Kong. I can't make much sense of the situation, but apparently police force closed down and gangsters are running rampant, beating people up. The government is actually allowing this to happen and won't even arrest anyone who kills someone else.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member