• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official News Thread - Misc To Replace CNN

Poke Trainer J

Japan Passes Jail-for-Downloaders Anti-Piracy Law

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/06/japan-download-copyright-law/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/22/japan-passes-jail-for-dow_n_1618479.html

Well I guess it was only a matter of time until a country other than us would be threatened by the same SOPA/PIPA laws that U.S. Congress tried to pass several months ago only this time it's hit Japan. Other countries around the world may have had similiar bills passed into law but I feel glad that we managed to dodge a major bullet, too bad the public of Japan didn't put up much of a fight against their own Government regarding the Anti-Piracy law that passed there.

This means that Japanese Subs won't be uploaded onto the Internet anymore since Japan has outlawed against it with this new law. They just killed the only reason why I watch One Piece and Cardfight!! Vanguard for their Subs.

It's looking like Anime/Manga is officially dead in the U.S. no thanks to the Japanese Government. Most English Dubs over in the U.S. suck like crap that's why most people internationally watch Japanese Subs online, they not only killed otaku with this new law, they're also hurting their pop culture and economy along with it.

Zazie

So 1991
Hey dude, there are these websites, they are called Hulu and Crunchyroll. They legally show anime new anime fresh from Japan before it is even localised with subtitles. It doesn't help much for most of stuff 2008 and older, but it isn't the end of the world. Plus nearly all DVD/Blu Ray anime releases have subtitles on them.

No need to panic like the sky is falling. Yes it kind of sucks, but no it won't kill anime or manga in the U.S.

(originally written in response to Pokemon Trainer J's thread on the topic but moved here because this is the appropriate place)

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
Hey dude, there are these websites, they are called Hulu and Crunchyroll. They legally show anime new anime fresh from Japan before it is even localised with subtitles. It doesn't help much for most of stuff 2008 and older, but it isn't the end of the world. Plus nearly all DVD/Blu Ray anime releases have subtitles on them.

Hulu only works if you are a US resident and Crunchyroll can only do that if they have the license for your countries, but having said that I still support these sites more.

Sucks though that Toei is still stubborn to realise that there are Kamen Rider fans outside of Japan and is failing to cash in on them.

Zazie

So 1991
Hulu only works if you are a US resident and Crunchyroll can only do that if they have the license for your countries, but having said that I still support these sites more.

Sucks though that Toei is still stubborn to realise that there are Kamen Rider fans outside of Japan and is failing to cash in on them.

You are correct, I totally forgot about that. My bad.

With the way the internet allows for greater communication between different countries, regional licensing and region locking is looking pretty lame right now.

The idea that any one country should be allowed to police the internet that the entire world uses is ridiculous.

(not sure if it applies to the Japanese law being passed but some of the SOPA stuff sounded like it would cover websites not based in the U.S.)

Squirel Princess

Goldenrod City
And this is why Arizona should allow abortions, people. So that babies don't grow up in states like this.

its called adoption. give ur baby to someone what wants it.

that soda ban in ny seems kinda stupid. u cant tell me what i have to eat!!!!!! but i agree that people should cut some out of their diet. should the government tell u whst u can or csnt eat? i get smoking bans and the stuff that r really life threatening, but telling me i cant drink soda is stupid.

Spookz

Lumos
Seven killed in Wisconsin Sikh temple shooting

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19138754

At least seven people, including a gunman, have died in a shooting at a Sikh temple in Oak Creek in the US state of Wisconsin, police say. The attacker "ambushed" a policeman at the scene, shooting him multiple times, before a second officer returned fire, killing the gunman, said authorities. The shot officer was among three people injured in the attack. Police say it does not appear that there was more than one shooter, as witnesses initially thought. Tactical police teams have cleared the building.

President Barack Obama spoke of his sadness at the shooting, as he did after the gun massacre that left 12 dead at a Colorado cinema just over two weeks ago. At a press conference, Oak Creek Police Chief John Edwards said they were treating the attack as a "domestic terrorist-type incident", and that the FBI would take over the criminal investigation. At least two reports earlier from inside the temple, or gurdwara, suggested the perpetrator was a white male. The authorities said calls had been made to the emergency services at about 10:25 local time (15:25 GMT). Four people were dead inside the temple and three outside - including the gunman, said the authorities. "The best information is that there was only one gunman," said Chief Edwards. At least three critically wounded men were being treated at Milwaukee's Froedtert Hospital, said officials at that facility. They included the police officer who had been shot multiple times, although he was expected to survive, said Chief Edwards.

woot21

super noob
Curiosity lands on Mars

Over a year ago NASA sent a probe towards Mars. Late last night that probe reached Mars and the rover inside (Curiosity) landed safely on the Martian surface.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/06/us-usa-mars-idUSBRE8721A920120806

NASA's Mars science rover Curiosity performed a daredevil descent through pink Martian skies late on Sunday to clinch an historic landing inside an ancient crater, ready to search for signs the Red Planet may once have harbored key ingredients for life.

Among the rover's mission goals are trying to finding signs of life, either living or dead, and trying to find signs of oil on the red planet.

Yes, we have landed rovers on Mars before, but that doesn't make this any less of an accomplishment. If it does find any signs of oil, the amount of money that would be put into finding a way to get it back to Earth would be tremendous. And while NASA would work on that, there is no telling what other scientific advances would come from it.

woot21 out dawgs

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
I know almost nothing about space exploration, but hopefully what Curiosity discovers on Mars will interest me somewhat and make me look further into the subject.

If the rover does discover something, then I think it'd be time for another period of "scientific acceleration", much like the ones in 1985-1990 (with home video game systems) and 2004-2006 (widespread usage of the smartphone). :)

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I think this is more for the News Thread, as scientific exploration of a planet is always good news. They better have some nice pictures coming from it in the future, I like it when probes bring back pictures. Whether they discover anything new or not, I'm just happy NASA was able to have done this, they're going through hard times.

I'm personally waiting for New Horizons to arrive at Pluto in a few years, which is honestly a much better accomplishment than sending rovers to Mars. We get to freakin' see what Pluto is like after all these years, what's not to get excited over?

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
This is just absolutely tragic :/ You would think that a place of worship would be a safe place to be, but I guess no where is.
Why?! And just after 2 weeks of the Colorado shootings, this kind of sh*t happens again. Only with obvious changes, people stop acting like 2012 is the time for just about everyone to die by shootings.

Profesco

gone gently

Jb

Tsun in the streets

No need to panic like the sky is falling. Yes it kind of sucks, but no it won't kill anime or manga in the U.S.

(originally written in response to Pokemon Trainer J's thread on the topic but moved here because this is the appropriate place)

I know this is old but it's funny how I'm still watching subbed anime online and not using those websites.

Japanese law can't stop me.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
I know this is old but it's funny how I'm still watching subbed anime online and not using those websites.

Japanese law can't stop me.

Hey Jb You are a pirate!

Anyway I am still watching Kamen Rider, my Hentai are still there and just last week I watch the lastest episode of Pokémon Best wishes 2.

You can't stop piracy at all.