• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official News Thread - Second go around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard last night that the organisers were going to close the luge track for competition until the lugers gave their thoughts on if the track should be redesigned for greater safety. I assume that means the competitors OK'd it.

Well you win some you luge some

Ouch? The guy wouldn't have felt a thing.

Also seriously, did anyone think about what could possibly happen having steel supports near a luge track? =/

Last edited:

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Man i dont really know about this spot, but yeah that track looks dangerous as hell, i really wonder why should a country run to make the Olympic Games if they dont have securtiy for it, the steel posts should never be there or if they were there should be a protection around it to prevent this accidents, he was going really fast so if it was another kind of material he might have died the same way but i find really irresponsible to have those steel posts there and not thinking that it could injure/kill an athelete.

That said RIP Georgian Luger didnt know the guy but its sad we can say atleast he died doing what he liked but it sound a little unfair since it wasnt even his fault loosing control of luge should have been pondered by the comitee of the Olympic Games security should always come first in wtv you do.

Last edited:
This is why I don't watch the Olympics.

No, you don't watch the Olympics because you're an outcast : )
It was a qualifying round too, it wasn't the actual games. People don't generally die at the Olympics either, they just end up working at home depot. I don't know which is worse though.

And to the two above: You don't think maybe a multiple story high track would need supports? That's ridiculous isn't it. Olympic athletes generally are able to control themselves well enough not to fall doing this stuff.
And Canada is more qualified than a lot of countries to hold the Olympics, better than Portugal.
And blah blah blah damn this sport is obviously dangerous, but at those speeds anything is.
More blah it's really not the Canadians fault.
And yes it was his fault for falling off of his sled, no one else did.

Last edited:

denizenofevil

Apparently, he made some mistakes coming down that also attributed to his death. Nothing could have prevented his death if he flew into a steel pole thingy since going from 90+ mph to 0 in about 4 seconds would kill you anyways. Your body may stop moving but your internal organs wouldn't. I do have to question the engineers' decision to put steel beams next to a turn they call 50/50.

Last edited:
No, you don't watch the Olympics because you're an outcast : )
It was a qualifying round too, it wasn't the actual games. People don't generally die at the Olympics either, they just end up working at home depot. I don't know which is worse though.

And to the two above: You don't think maybe a multiple story high track would need supports? That's ridiculous isn't it. Olympic athletes generally are able to control themselves well enough not to fall doing this stuff.
And Canada is more qualified than a lot of countries to hold the Olympics, better than Portugal.
And blah blah blah damn this sport is obviously dangerous, but at those speeds anything is.
More blah it's really not the Canadians fault.
And yes it was his fault for falling off of his sled, no one else did.

Thanks for the sensible post - these are hard to find in the sentimentality and over-moralising following a publicised death.

razor fire

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
Also seriously, did anyone think about what could possibly happen having steel supports near a luge track? =/

while going at a speed of 143 km per hour it won't matter much where you land on i can garantee you that. i think he broke quite a few bones at that moment.

Last edited:

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Really sad, it was during his training. hope it won't happen again.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
Very unfortunate for this to happen. The impact looked terrible. At least it didn't happen during the actual competition.

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
At least it didn't happen during the actual competition.

How would that make it any worse? Kumaritashvili trained for years and years to get to the Winter Olympics and finally made the Georgian team; he took part in a few of the Luge World Cups as well and had a great future ahead of him. It's one thing to die during the Olympics, but when you've trained for as long as you can remember and die during the Olympic practices, that's just awful.

It's like making it to the Superbowl, but you fall and break your leg right before your team is supposed to come out. You not only take a player from your team, but you also miss out on the event of a lifetime.

Wow that's really sad... I hope nothing awful happen during the Olympics! And hopefully they make sure to make the tracks much safer..

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
Polish newspaper claims 'Pedobear' is 2010 Vancouver Olympic mascot

[IMG139]http://easycaptures.com/fs/uploaded/243/6416899699.jpg[/IMG139]

A Polish newspaper mistakenly identified "Pedobear", a notorious internet meme, as one of the mascots of the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver

The Gazeta Olsztynska published an image showing the bear alongside genuine Olympic mascots Quatchi, Sumi, Miga and Mukmuk to illustrate a feature about the Games.

It appears that the newspaper lifted the picture from Google Images, unaware that it had been created as a prank by Michael Barrick, a Canadian artist and graphic designer.

link to article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...edobear-is-2010-Vancouver-Olympic-mascot.html
or claimed, it's from 8 february, it surprises me we didn't have this up yet.

anyway...

personal comment: XD

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
How would that make it any worse? Kumaritashvili trained for years and years to get to the Winter Olympics and finally made the Georgian team; he took part in a few of the Luge World Cups as well and had a great future ahead of him. It's one thing to die during the Olympics, but when you've trained for as long as you can remember and die during the Olympic practices, that's just awful.

It's like making it to the Superbowl, but you fall and break your leg right before your team is supposed to come out. You not only take a player from your team, but you also miss out on the event of a lifetime.

It's awful either way, but millions of people would be watching your death if it was during the competition.

Polish newspaper claims 'Pedobear' is 2010 Vancouver Olympic mascot

[IMG139]http://easycaptures.com/fs/uploaded/243/6416899699.jpg[/IMG139]

link to article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...edobear-is-2010-Vancouver-Olympic-mascot.html
or claimed, it's from 8 february, it surprises me we didn't have this up yet.

anyway...

personal comment: XD

Haha, nice. I'd seen the image on a chan but assumed it was just a shop. *now wants to buy that days paper off ebay*

Status
Not open for further replies.