• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official News Thread - Second go around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we allowed to discuss about the Oil in the Gulf crisis? How do you feel about the issue so far? BP has been failing with their recent ideas and yet the oil is getting worse! Perhaps a man-made whirlpool can help? I hear a hurricane might come around the corner and the good thing it will deal is to spread the oil whereas the downside is the leak won't stop even if a hurricane temporarily halts the oil flow. Well wait, it's already in the sea current so, that's bad. We need to use a boulder or some sort to clog the leak and then create a whirlpool to drain the oil. Just how thick (or thin) is the oil?

harryheart

Gunman kills 12 people in Cumbria rampage

BBC News said:
Twelve people have been killed by a gunman who went on the rampage across Cumbria in north-west England.

Taxi driver Derrick Bird shot dead a colleague in the town of Whitehaven before driving through the countryside apparently targeting people at random.

Twenty-five others have been injured, three critically. Police say they are dealing with 30 separate crime scenes.

Mr Bird's body was found in a wooded area in Boot in the Lake District and two weapons have been recovered.

Stuart Hyde, Cumbria Police's Deputy Chief Constable, said: "We are still at a very early stage in our investigation and we are not able to really understand the motivation behind it - or establish whether this was a premeditated or random attack.

"Current indications are that 12 people have died, plus Derrick Bird. And a number of people are also receiving treatment in hospital.

"We are working hard to support the families of those involved and our focus is now on gathering as much evidence as possible to build up a clear picture of what happened this morning."

Anyone concerned about the whereabouts of relatives should contact Cumbria Police's Casualty Bureau hotline.

After the first shooting, witnesses said Mr Bird drove through Whitehaven with a gun hanging out of his car window, then headed south through Gosforth and Seascale before turning inland.

As well as Whitehaven, fatalities have been confirmed in Egremont, Seascale and Gosforth.

The mass shooting is England's worst since 1987, when gun fanatic Michael Ryan killed 16 people in Hungerford, Berkshire.

As he began his first Prime Minister's Questions today, David Cameron said the House of Commons would be "alarmed and shocked by the events unfolding in Cumbria".

He said: "When lives and communities are suddenly shattered in this way, our thoughts should be with all those caught up in these tragic events, especially the families and friends of those killed or injured."

After the killings, detectives said 52-year-old Mr Bird drove to the central Lakes in a Citroen Picasso, then abandoned it in the Boot area.

Before his body was discovered, people living nearby were urged to stay indoors for their own protection.

Helicopters and armed officers from other police forces were brought in to help apprehend the gunman.

Mr Hyde added: "We have a number of crime scenes across the county, which are being staffed by police officers, and I would ask people to show a little bit of restraint and respect in regard to those scenes as we try and piece together exactly what has gone on."

A major incident has been declared at West Cumberland Hospital, in Whitehaven, where the NHS said all routine operations had been cancelled.

The Accident and Emergency department at the Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle is also on full incident stand-by, the hospital trust said.

The Sellafield nuclear reprocessing plant in west Cumbria closed its gates as a safety precaution and afternoon shift workers were being told to stay away, though the site has since reopened.

The Whitehaven victim, believed to be a colleague of Mr Bird, was killed at 1035 BST.

A local taxi firm boss, Glenda Pears, said: "We just don't know what's happened.

"The lad that's been killed was friends with him. They used to stand together having a craic on the rank.

"He was friends with everybody and used to stand and joke on Duke Street."

Sue Matthews, a telephonist at A2B Taxis in Whitehaven, said the Mr Bird was self-employed and lived alone. She described him as a "quiet fellow".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/10219655.stm - this is the page with the information that also has some pictures of where the events occured...

My regards go out to all the families who have been affected.

ok? as sad as this is, it happens quite often
Actually in England this kind of thing never happens.

it certainly made my day at work more interesting!

isnt there a news thread?

O NOES, what is teh naem of thiz thread? Srsly read the damn page title before hyperventilating out rubbish, kthnxbai.

mockingjay

swift and lol
Just thought you all know, Julia Gillard is the first female Australian prime minster as of today.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Our Vice President is at it again :/.

Opposing Views said:
Joe Biden and his loose lips were at it again -- this time inside a Wisconsin frozen custard shop over the weekend. It all started when the shop's owner corrected Biden about being in a "custard" shop, not an "ice cream" store. Then when the owner said he didn't have to pay for the food, but Biden could lower his taxes, the vice president joked with him about being a "smartass." The owner says he enjoyed his banter with Biden but admitted the vice president didn't like the "taxes" remark. So was it a harmless remark or should the vice president be hammered -- again -- for his potty mouth?

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/at-it-again-biden-calls-custard-shop-owner-a-smartass <-- complete with video and surrounding customers who heard the whole thing

And then there's this:

CBS news said:
Vice President Joe Biden gave a stark assessment of the economy today, telling an audience of supporters, "there's no possibility to restore 8 million jobs lost in the Great Recession."

Appearing at a fundraiser with Sen. Russ Feingold (D-Wisc.) in Milwaukee, the vice president remarked that by the time he and President Obama took office in 2008, the gross domestic product had shrunk and hundreds of thousands of jobs had been lost.

"We inherited a godawful mess," he said, adding there was "no way to regenerate $3 trillion that was lost. Not misplaced, lost."

Claims for jobless benefits fell by the largest number in two months last week, but were still high enough to signal weak job growth. Meanwhile, the Senate on Thursday failed to pass an extension of unemployment benefits.

Biden said today the economy is improving and noted that in the past four quarters, there has been 4 percent growth in the economy. Over the last five months, more than 500,000 private sector jobs were created.

"We know that's not enough," the vice president said.

Last week the White House put out a Recovery and Reinvestment Act update claiming that between 2.2 million and 2.8 million jobs were either saved or created because of the stimulus as of March 2010. In signing the Recovery Act into law on Feb 17, 2009, Mr. Obama said the measure "will create or save 3-and-a-half million jobs over the next two years."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20008924-503544.html

Whatever happened to "Yes we can!", Mr. Vice President? Tell us what's of more concern: your salary and position, or jobs to pay for your salary and your position?

But I guess he'd rather call me a "smartass" then answer it.

Needs a Deoxys

ExtraLives Holding Another Marathon!

ExtraLives will be holding another marathon this Friday, August 20th, @ 12:00pm EST. The marathon is expected to last until some time Monday.

The marathon is entitled The Rise and Fall of Sonic The Hedgehog. It will chronicle the rise of Sonic games in the early 90s to their decline throughout the 2000s.

Some of the games being played include: Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic CD, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic '06, and Sonic Unleashed

There will be two teams, each racing through the games on screens right next to each other.

100% of all proceeds go to the charity Water, an international charity that provides clean water to people in developing nations. Just $20 can provide a person with clean drinking water for 20 years while $5,000 can fund the construction of a well that can provide 250 people with clean drinking water.

Of course, you aren't required to donate but every little bit helps. Donating only $5 will enter you in a raffle for fabulous prizes.

I highly recommend watching because you're guaranteed to enjoy it. I've been to there marathons in the past and didn't want them to end.

For more information visit: http://extralives.org/sonic2.html
This is there ustream channel: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ExtraLives-Marathons

Also, if you have any questions, feel free to ask, as I probably know the answer.

Last edited:

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
Libyan revolts in Tripoli. 3 of Gadaffi's sons have been captured already; I'm not sure what happened to Gadaffi himself. Live stream here.

There's also a statement from NATO about it:
"The Qadhafi regime is clearly crumbling. The sooner Qadhafi realises that he cannot win the battle against his own people, the better -- so that the Libyan people can be spared further bloodshed and suffering.

The Libyan people have suffered tremendously under Qaddafi’s rule for over four decades. Now they have a chance for a new beginning. Now is the time for all threats against civilians to stop, as the United Nations Security Council demanded. Now is the time to create a new Libya – a state based on freedom, not fear; democracy, not dictatorship; the will of the many, not the whims of a few.

That transition must come peacefully. It must come now. And it must be led and defined by the Libyan people.

NATO is ready to work with the Libyan people and with the Transitional National Council, which holds a great responsibility. They must make sure that the transition is smooth and inclusive, that the country stays united, and that the future is founded on reconciliation and respect for human rights.

Qadhafi's remaining allies and forces also have a great responsibility. It is time to end their careers of violence. The world is watching them. This is their opportunity to side with the Libyan people and choose the right side of history.

We will continue to monitor military units and key facilities, as we have since March, and when we see any threatening moves towards the Libyan people, we will act in accordance with our UN mandate.

Our goal throughout this conflict has been to protect the people of Libya, and that is what we are doing.

Because the future of Libya belongs to the Libyan people. And it is for the international community to assist them, with the United Nations and the Contact Group playing a leading role. NATO wants the Libyan people to be able to decide their future in freedom and in peace. Today, they can start building that future."

Shuam

righteous
Gadhafi has fled at this point, correct? Or has he been captured?

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
Gadhafi has fled at this point, correct? Or has he been captured?

He's hiding at the moment I believe. "...like a rat" to quote a paper from yesterday. I just checked the BBC homepage and it would be all over the place if he'd been captured.

Universe Chaser

Trust me, I'm a cop.
The Dream Act Part 2- WHAT?!?!?!?

Pyrax

The Ghost of Tsushima
A planet made of diamond? Sounds familiar...
--------------------------

Several Gaddafi prisoners were left to die in the desert by pro-Gaddafi forces

Nineteen people suffocated after being caged in metal boxes and left to die in the desert heat by pro-Gaddafi forces, Amnesty International has claimed.

Survivors told how they were forced to drink their own urine and sweat as they watched fellow detainees die in front of them.

Amnesty said 29 people had been imprisoned in two cramped cargo boxes on a construction site in Khoms, 75 miles east of Tripoli.

Only 10 survived.

"This is obviously appalling and inhumane treatment of a group of people who were mostly civilians," said Diana Eltahawy, North Africa researcher at Amnesty.

The charity said its team in the country had examined the containers, which had no windows.

The smaller of them was only two metres by six metres and held 10 people.

The deaths occurred in June, but news of the tragedy has only just emerged as Khoms was previously off-limits to independent reporting.

Survivor Mohamed Ahmed Ali, a schoolteacher, described how armed men arrested him at his home on May 20 after he took part in anti-government protests.

The pro-Gaddafi forces forced him to kneel, before giving him electric shocks and beating his head and back with metal wires.

He was later detained in one of the containers.

"People were falling on the floor all around me. We were screaming: 'We will die in here, let us out'," he told Amnesty.

Abdel Rahman Moftah Ali, 24, was the only survivor of the smaller of the two containers and watched his fellow inmates die in front of him, said Amnesty.

"Foam was coming out of some people's mouths. I saw my cellmates drop to the ground and become motionless one by one," Ali said.

"I think I fell and hit my head. Eventually I regained consciousness... It was a day from hell."

A third survivor, Faraj Omar al Ganin, 27, said that detainees were getting increasingly desperate as the hours went by.

"For hours we were screaming for help. It then became eerily quiet. I realised that I was the only one still conscious. I screamed: 'They have all died'.

"The guards finally opened the doors. They then made me drag the bodies out by their feet."

Universe Chaser

Trust me, I'm a cop.
Yeah I heard.. I'm for it though.

Look, I have nothing against the individual teenagers whose parents are illegals. However, this is money we don't have. This now gives legal immigrants and people who live at school even more competition for fleeting financial aid. Most of the time, it's they that get the short end of the stick in this deal. On top of that, most of the jobs that illegals hold don't require higher education, so they're basically sucking away money that we don't have, and paying no taxes in return. It's abominable.

Nyter

Island Challenger
Look, I have nothing against the individual teenagers whose parents are illegals. However, this is money we don't have. This now gives legal immigrants and people who live at school even more competition for fleeting financial aid. Most of the time, it's they that get the short end of the stick in this deal. On top of that, most of the jobs that illegals hold don't require higher education, so they're basically sucking away money that we don't have, and paying no taxes in return. It's abominable.

There has to be a way those people to pay taxes. I understand completely BUT it isn't really the fault of those studios teenagers who are basically trying to achieve the american dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.