• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Nintendo DSi Thread

Cobalt_Latios

I know this sounds kind of dumb (well, to be asking in the context that I am), but would it be possible for Nintendo to create an update that allows the DSi to play video? Yes, I'm aware that the Wii can't do that (unless you make it!), but still, it can play music, so why not video?

Yeah, stupid, but I still want a reason. Regardless of how obvious it should be.

<C_L>

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I know this sounds kind of dumb (well, to be asking in the context that I am), but would it be possible for Nintendo to create an update that allows the DSi to play video? Yes, I'm aware that the Wii can't do that (unless you make it!), but still, it can play music, so why not video?

Yeah, stupid, but I still want a reason. Regardless of how obvious it should be.

<C_L>

The Wii can do it, and so can the DSi. All Nintendo has to do is release software for it.

BCVM22

The Wii's Photo Channel can play video, it just has to be in a specialized format.

Don't forget that for certain video formats, there are legalities involved and royalties to be paid if you include the functionality for certain formats and codecs and encoding systems and it's very possible that Nintendo has simply decided "we're not dealing with this crap if it's not necessary, and it's not."

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I'd recommend reading Joystiq's Nintendo section or Kotaku.

Well that's all they've added to it. The other updates have been minor things, mostly efforts to stop flashcarts. There' not really a need to check any sites. Whenever something is added people who care will probably hear about it without trying.

Torpoleon

Just a quick question. There are two new DSi colors in the US. One is white. The other one looks Pink, but I think it might be Red. I don't want to mistakenly get it in 2010 thinking it is Red when it turns out to be Pink.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Just a quick question. There are two new DSi colors in the US. One is white. The other one looks Pink, but I think it might be Red. I don't want to mistakenly get it in 2010 thinking it is Red when it turns out to be Pink.

It's pink. I don't know what pictures you were seeing that made it look red o_O

Togekiss•Torchic

Aaaaaaah~♫
one of the commercials made it look kinda red..

BCVM22

one of the commercials made it look kinda red..

And even if that is the case, how such a misconception could survive is beyond me.

For one thing, Nintendo says in its press releases, flat out, "we will be releasing the [White] and [Pink] DSi units in North America." They don't say "we'll be releasing the [White] and [ambiguously red-pink] DSi," do they?

And even if you somehow miss that, when you go to the store and see the box, is the picture on the box going to be a misleading color? Probably not. Is the box going to say "Pink but also sorta kinda reddish DSi"? No.

homopod

In Europe we get three new colors - blue, RED (not pink) and ... oh, i forgot already. But we'll get definitely the red one.

Togekiss•Torchic

Aaaaaaah~♫
And even if that is the case, how such a misconception could survive is beyond me.

For one thing, Nintendo says in its press releases, flat out, "we will be releasing the [White] and [Pink] DSi units in North America." They don't say "we'll be releasing the [White] and [ambiguously red-pink] DSi," do they?

And even if you somehow miss that, when you go to the store and see the box, is the picture on the box going to be a misleading color? Probably not. Is the box going to say "Pink but also sorta kinda reddish DSi"? No.
well it's not going to say that but i thought they would of edited or something..

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
In Europe we get three new colors - blue, RED (not pink) and ... oh, i forgot already. But we'll get definitely the red one.

I looked on the UK's official website, and holy ****, you guys are getting red. Damnit. Not fair, they finally give us white, and you guys get an awesome new color.

Also, this thing's shoulder buttons must be more fragile than the DS lite's. My right shoulder button is already going out, though it may be because it's always in my pocket with that button probably being held down.

Also, 1337 post = D.

Last edited:

Cobalt_Latios

I looked on the UK's official website, and holy ****, you guys are getting red. Damnit. Not fair, they finally give us white, and you guys get an awesome new color.
I want my metallic Blue one. Okay, so we're getting Red, but I want my Metallic Blue! I would get Black, but I want a handheld with colour this time.

<C_L>

Electivirus

Not really, no.
I bought one on launch day, so alas, I was stuck with Black.

Well, technically, there was blue as well...ewww.

I'm tempted to trade in my black DSi for a different one.

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
you guys know that there are different colored metal skins available on the market for the DSi right?

i saw red, silver, metallic blue, you name it. companies like big ben makes this stuff, it's pretty reliable i use it myself.

NinjaBaker

I hope they release a software update that allows you to listen to music while the DSi is closed or while playing a game.

;441;

BCVM22

No software update is going to add the latter: the game(s) would have to be programmed for that and no developer is going to go through the trouble of having music composed for their game just so you can blare whatever other music you want, barring the rare occasions where that fits the concept of the game.

NinjaBaker

No software update is going to add the latter: the game(s) would have to be programmed for that and no developer is going to go through the trouble of having music composed for their game just so you can blare whatever other music you want, barring the rare occasions where that fits the concept of the game.

Ohh.. i see what you mean, yea guess that will probobly never happen, at least not on the DSi, well hopefully my wish of "listening to music while the DSi is closed" will come true... unless theres something that can restrict that too ><
;234;

BCVM22

That would depend on whether the DSi entering "sleep mode" when the lid is closed is triggered by a hardware feature or a software trigger, I guess. The former can't be changed, the latter probably could with a firmware update.